HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ridiculous Gear Thread, Part 2

Old
06-03-2012, 04:45 PM
kr580

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
Only somewhat relevant, but I've always thought it would be funny to show up with a replica jersey of a country's national team that isn't exactly known for hockey.
My buddy has a team Mexico jersey. It's pretty awesome.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:15 PM
mhkehoe

I've had the skate fenders for a few months now, haven't had a single person say anything negative about them. Most people ask if you notice them when you skate.

There was one guy in a roller league I played in who took a left curve and flattened it (you could see the Easton logo on the front). He was an older guy, and would flip the stick back and forth depending on the play he wanted to make.

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

I have to bump this thread after the rec game I reffed today - following discussion in these threads about jersey numbers that are a no-no.

Both teams had a player wearing a 69, one player wore 99, and another wore 113 which I have never seen before

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
I have to bump this thread after the rec game I reffed today - following discussion in these threads about jersey numbers that are a no-no.

Both teams had a player wearing a 69, one player wore 99, and another wore 113 which I have never seen before
It seems like every team has a player wearing 69...including mine. It's dumb and incredibly played out. I also play against a guy who wears number 87 and signs in using his real first name and Crosby as his last. And it's not like he's a kid, he's probably a couple years older than Crosby.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:48 PM
opivy
Sauce King

Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
I'm just happy to get guys out and play, I hate nothing more than the "good" players who waste their time worrying about what other people are doing.

Shut your mouth and play the game, if you don't like what someone is wearing or doing then you're just letting them get you off of your game and not the other way around like you'd love to believe.

As a third note, purposely breaking someones stick is a good way to get your tires slashed nightly for a very long time. Hit me in my pocketbook and I'll eradicate yours.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Dr Acula

Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post
I'm just happy to get guys out and play, I hate nothing more than the "good" players who waste their time worrying about what other people are doing.

Shut your mouth and play the game, if you don't like what someone is wearing or doing then you're just letting them get you off of your game and not the other way around like you'd love to believe.

As a third note, purposely breaking someones stick is a good way to get your tires slashed nightly for a very long time. Hit me in my pocketbook and I'll eradicate yours.
You're a class act, bud.

Dr Acula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:46 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

I saw a guy once with the last name Apple. His number was 3.14. I found it to be pretty funny.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:48 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Acula View Post
You're a class act, bud.
I get where he's coming from. If someone broke my stick on purpose, I'll lose it for sure haha.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikitas donut View Post
I saw a guy once with the last name Apple. His number was 3.14. I found it to be pretty funny.
I saw a really big guy with the number "747" and he always had a good time playing.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:53 AM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
I saw a really big guy with the number "747" and he always had a good time playing.
That's funny!

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Playerwinner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Acula View Post
You're a class act, bud.
What is intentionally stepping on your blade at a faceoff, giving your stick extra hard slashes, a job well done?

Playerwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:51 AM
r3cc0s

play the game, focus on the game and don't worry about others?

but definately I find that the same guys class A guys who drive them beemers, who roll into the dressing room with their Christian Audigier/True Relgion jeans with all their pro stock or pro class gear in a GRIT bag are usually the worst players who have the biggest mouths

ya...

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:33 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I rock my China IIHF jersey on rare occasions
Hah. Have you ever seen their national team play? I watched a couple games live in Shanghai and they got absolutely slaughtered by Japan.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:21 AM
PanHandler

didnt know hockey players were such fashion divas. Caring enough about what someones wearing to go as far as to judge them and talk crap?

PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:07 AM
SCritical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Hah. Have you ever seen their national team play? I watched a couple games live in Shanghai and they got absolutely slaughtered by Japan.
They played here in Australia a few world championships ago and I gotta say...before and after the game we saw most of them lurking outside the rink smoking up a storm. Maybe if we put them on the Nicorettes their endurance would improve

Back OT, my friend taped his goalie stick with red, black and white stripes, and taped the NJ Devils logo on the back of his helmet. That would have taken way too much time.

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:25 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Men's team nope, but my mom and brother saw the women's team when they came to my city to play a local girl's rep team in preparation for the Olympics. Not very good and lost obviously, but still cool.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:36 AM
B2k3
#Yzerteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanHandler View Post
didnt know hockey players were such fashion divas. Caring enough about what someones wearing to go as far as to judge them and talk crap?
Are you against trash talking in hockey?

B2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:28 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Men's team nope, but my mom and brother saw the women's team when they came to my city to play a local girl's rep team in preparation for the Olympics. Not very good and lost obviously, but still cool.
Not yet, but give it time. Once they decide that they care about winning medals in the sport, they'll start grooming their kids into it just like they do gymnastics and ice skating. They may not be able to take the gold, but they may end up not being in last place every time either!

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
Not yet, but give it time. Once they decide that they care about winning medals in the sport, they'll start grooming their kids into it just like they do gymnastics and ice skating. They may not be able to take the gold, but they may end up not being in last place every time either!
You could say this about any country or team. You could def be right

Some countries specifically target sports that are smaller and/or more individual as they are useful to get the "medal count" up. Targeting Hockey may not be of interest to some countries.

Why spend money on Bobsled when it is cheaper to find a cross country skier and teach them to shoot a gun? Or why give a bunch of people ice hockey equipment, build rinks, hire team coaches, find players who are interested when you can just go into a gym and find a girl already showing promise in gymnastics?

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:59 PM
r3cc0s

well one time at a rink out here, a buncha guys didn't recognize this guy who showed up for lunch shinny

he puts on all this red wings pratice regulia... jersey, helmet, pants, gloves and had a couple pro-stock sticks with Kolanos on it...

well it was actually Krys (I knew it was him, as he skates at 2 other rinks I frequent) but the other guys didn't and were thinking about chirping him until they saw him out there and he was hitting top corner on the tutor 8/10 times from the blue line

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
well one time at a rink out here, a buncha guys didn't recognize this guy who showed up for lunch shinny

he puts on all this red wings pratice regulia... jersey, helmet, pants, gloves and had a couple pro-stock sticks with Kolanos on it...

well it was actually Krys (I knew it was him, as he skates at 2 other rinks I frequent) but the other guys didn't and were thinking about chirping him until they saw him out there and he was hitting top corner on the tutor 8/10 times from the blue line
Kolanos never played for the Red Wings though did he?

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:19 PM
PanHandler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2k3 View Post
Are you against trash talking in hockey?
No not at all, but you can find better things to talk about than their choice of tape color right?

PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:14 PM
BigDuke6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
Only somewhat relevant, but I've always thought it would be funny to show up with a replica jersey of a country's national team that isn't exactly known for hockey.

Should have seen about getting a New Zealand hockey jersey while I was still there.
I have an Irish National Team jersey that I wear all the time. That thing is a beauty.

BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:24 PM
SkateFenders

mhkehoe:: I've had the skate fenders for a few months now, haven't had a single person say anything negative about them. Most people ask if you notice them when you skate.

Yeah we get that question a lot too... until someone puts them on their skates and forgets they're there! (We worked really hard to make them very light yet strong.)

SkateFenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:32 AM
hockeymass

How many people are going to post some variation of "bloo bloo bloo I'm morally superior because I don't care what people are wearing huehuehuehue" in this thread? It's really irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playerwinner View Post
What is intentionally stepping on your blade at a faceoff, giving your stick extra hard slashes, a job well done?
So because someone breaks your $200 stick you're going to slash his tires nightly? I'd rather be a guy that chuckles when someone's wearing something ridiculous than a guy that goes around slashing tires to exact revenge. Give me a break, sunshine.

Last edited by hockeymass: 08-12-2012 at 09:38 AM.
hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote