HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Floor rises to $54.2M, cap to $70.2M

Old
06-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Fantom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding, it already works this way. Bonuses are included in the cap hit. Also, those kind of bonuses are only applicable to ELCs and over 35 contracts, so it's tough to abuse.
It does in some ways. But somehow we are always way under the floor.
I thought we used alot of Bonus $ that players never earn or whatever

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Really I think the way it works is that if you are trying to reach the floor they are included, but if you are trying to stay under the cap they are not included. It's very contradictory and pretty much just way for teams to maneuver.
How do you figure that? It's calculated the same way no matter what. Can you give me an example?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
It does in some ways. But somehow we are always way under the floor.
I thought we used alot of Bonus $ that players never earn or whatever
Right. The Isles do exactly that. The bonus applies to the cap hit, just as you suggest it should. The Isles use it to pay less in salary than the cap hit. For instance (forgive me but I forget the exact numbers), Staios, as on over 35 contract, made 800k in base salary and had a bonus structure of 800k if the Isles won the Cup (unrealistic bonus). His cap hit was $1.6m, just as you suggest it should be. Also, Nino's bonus structures on his ELC elevated his cap hit way beyond his actual salary. The conspiracy theorist could suggest that the Isles buried him on the 4th line to ensure he didn't actually meet any of those bonuses...

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:14 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Really I think the way it works is that if you are trying to reach the floor they are included, but if you are trying to stay under the cap they are not included. It's very contradictory and pretty much just way for teams to maneuver.
No. Performance Bonuses are included in both the cap and floor. However, during most seasons (*) a team is permitted to exceed the Upper Limit by up to 7.5% due to Performance Bonuses. If the actual bonuses earned at the end of the year put the team over the Upper Limit, that excess is applied against the next season's cap.

All possible bonuses (earned or not) are included in a players cap hit - cap hit = total of all salary + bonuses divided by number of years.

If a Performance Bonus becomes impossible to achieve, the team receives a cap credit for the actual cash amount of that bonus for the remainder of that League Year - the teams Averaged Club Salary (the aggregate of all accrued cap hits calculated daily) is reduced by the cash amount of the bonus.

A team is required to be above the Lower Limit until the end of the League Year (6/30) - and unearned Performance Bonuses at the end of the season or playoffs could technically put a team in violation of the Lower Limit - however the League has not done anything to enforce that or subject teams to penalties in the cases where it has occurred.

(*) During any season which could be the final year of the CBA, either due to it's scheduled termination date or NHLPA options for early termination or extension, the Performance Bonus Cushion is not in effect and teams may not exceed the Upper Limit due to Performance Bonuses.

Quote:
How do you figure that? It's calculated the same way no matter what. Can you give me an example?
Yup.

Last edited by kdb209: 07-03-2012 at 10:59 AM.
kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:59 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Unless I'm misunderstanding, it already works this way. Bonuses are included in the cap hit. Also, those kind of bonuses are only applicable to ELCs and over 35 contracts, so it's tough to abuse.
If I'm the PA, then I want the ELC bonus eliminated as a cap cushion. Why? Bc it's detrimental to more players than not that certain teams keep rookies bc of their ELCs just bc of the cap bonus.

My biggest issue is I have not read in one news outlet about how the Isles routinely use this clause on bonuses to meet the cap floor. People ask why the Isles get no respect...this is one major reason why bc all those in the league know they do this crap.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Fantom

Quote:

Right. The Isles do exactly that. The bonus applies to the cap hit, just as you suggest it should. The Isles use it to pay less in salary than the cap hit. For instance (forgive me but I forget the exact numbers), Staios, as on over 35 contract, made 800k in base salary and had a bonus structure of 800k if the Isles won the Cup (unrealistic bonus). His cap hit was $1.6m, just as you suggest it should be. Also, Nino's bonus structures on his ELC elevated his cap hit way beyond his actual salary. The conspiracy theorist could suggest that the Isles buried him on the 4th line to ensure he didn't actually meet any of those bonuses...
we do use Bonus money. However i am pretty sure we are using more than the 5% i suggested. THere were some games that we did not even have 30M on the ice

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote