HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[LAK] Dustin Penner [1 year, $3.25M cap hit]

Old
07-01-2012, 10:21 PM
DiehardKingsFan

vCash: 500
Hopefully his head is in the game for the entire season. I loved him in the playoffs, I had a feeling he would step it up even though there wasn't much rational for feeling that way.

DiehardKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:06 AM
HolyShot*
Sniper

This is a great signing. Penner is money.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:08 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardKingsFan View Post
Hopefully his head is in the game for the entire season. I loved him in the playoffs, I had a feeling he would step it up even though there wasn't much rational for feeling that way.
He is MUCH better than a 7 goal 10 assist player, so thinking he'd step it up wasn't that big of a stretch.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:26 AM
puckyeah

This is the happy and content type of signing where a Gm can do 'no wrong'. I think if Penner has had issues with motivation in the regular season, winning the cup certainly doesnt help.

puckyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:13 AM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckyeah View Post
This is the happy and content type of signing where a Gm can do 'no wrong'. I think if Penner has had issues with motivation in the regular season, winning the cup certainly doesnt help.
Penner had already won a cup before this year, so I don't see why he should suffer a loss of motivation now.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:22 AM
kkimo

It's a good deal all around.

For everyone who was in the dump him camp, how do you dump a player like Penner, who is a relatively young seasoned veteran, who is great in the locker room, who stepped up huge in the playoffs, and who publicly acknowledged he had a bad year and wants to improve and stay with the team and said he is willing to take a pay cut. No way DL doesn't bring him back. Yes his motivation has been questioned before, but the upside is just too big, especially with a 1-yr contract when the Kings have big space for that year.

Dave

kkimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:10 AM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkimo View Post
It's a good deal all around.

For everyone who was in the dump him camp, how do you dump a player like Penner, who is a relatively young seasoned veteran, who is great in the locker room, who stepped up huge in the playoffs, and who publicly acknowledged he had a bad year and wants to improve and stay with the team and said he is willing to take a pay cut. No way DL doesn't bring him back. Yes his motivation has been questioned before, but the upside is just too big, especially with a 1-yr contract when the Kings have big space for that year.

Dave
Completely agree. What is the worst case scenario? They bench him? Fine. We have many other options. He might not even be in the top six with Gagne healthy. King can step up if needed as well.

If Penner keeps up his postseason pace, then the Kings just get that much better with Gagne in the lineup.

Brown, Kopitar, Williams, Richards, Carter, Gagne, Penner... All top six forwards. Lewis, Stoll, and King are at least top nine material... When one of Kyle Clifford, Brad Richardson, Colin Fraser, or Jordan Nolan is your healthy scratch, you're in good shape as a team.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:48 AM
PWB
Dreaming of Donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
He is the smartest player in the NHL....does just enough to get paid big bucks then eats a big stack o pancakes and goes to sleep lol
If just enough comes with a Cup, I'm ok with just enough. I'm guessing Pens grew leaps and bounds this year and is out to prove it next. Really like what this signing says for all involved.

PWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:02 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
Good idea. He seems to plays well in every contract year.

Bang on.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote