HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The D-situation

Old
07-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Wisent42

vCash: 500
The D-situation

With the addition of Pardy, there seems to be quite a jam at D. As of now, there's Myers, Ehrhoff, Regehr, Sekera, Leopold, Weber, Sulzer and Pardy. Add McNabb and Brennan knocking on the door to the big club. Did I forget anyone?

While depth is nice to have, I'm not sure this is an ideal situation. If I understand the rules correctly, Brennan could be lost through waivers if he's sent to Rochester, and while I want and hope for McNabb to be part of the team, I'm not quite sure how that is done without someone leaving. Something else has to give.

One would also have to wonder why Pardy was part of the Roy/Ott deal. Why would we add yet another defenseman? Did Dallas just dump salary on us, similar to "you get Regehr if you take Kotalik off our hands"? I'm excited about Ott, but if there's no plan for Pardy, that's overpayment. And I don't believe that's the case.

Given the situation, I strongly believe there's a trade involving D coming up. I doubt Pardy is that hot on the market that we would take him to pass him forward in another deal. So who's on the table?

Myers would be considered untouchable, and I strongly doubt Regehr or Ehrhoff would be traded given what it took to get them here. That would be bad for business. Sulzer just re-signed and is not hot stuff. Bringing Ott in and trading his bff Weber would be... meh. Besides, Weber can't be to hot anyway. I would think there's interest in Sekera on the market. I would hate to see him leave, but he could give good return.

To me Leo makes most sense. One year left on his contract, an offensive force that I'm imagine several teams would be interested in. We've got Ehrhoff and Myers.

Also, I would look for anything in return for Brennan if sending him to Rochester means he is lost for nothing. So, could Leo and Brennan give us something we need in return?

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:24 AM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
With the addition of Pardy, there seems to be quite a jam at D. As of now, there's Myers, Ehrhoff, Regehr, Sekera, Leopold, Weber, Sulzer and Pardy. Add McNabb and Brennan knocking on the door to the big club. Did I forget anyone?

While depth is nice to have, I'm not sure this is an ideal situation. If I understand the rules correctly, Brennan could be lost through waivers if he's sent to Rochester, and while I want and hope for McNabb to be part of the team, I'm not quite sure how that is done without someone leaving. Something else has to give.

One would also have to wonder why Pardy was part of the Roy/Ott deal. Why would we add yet another defenseman? Did Dallas just dump salary on us, similar to "you get Regehr if you take Kotalik off our hands"? I'm excited about Ott, but if there's no plan for Pardy, that's overpayment. And I don't believe that's the case.

Given the situation, I strongly believe there's a trade involving D coming up. I doubt Pardy is that hot on the market that we would take him to pass him forward in another deal. So who's on the table?

Myers would be considered untouchable, and I strongly doubt Regehr or Ehrhoff would be traded given what it took to get them here. That would be bad for business. Sulzer just re-signed and is not hot stuff. Bringing Ott in and trading his bff Weber would be... meh. Besides, Weber can't be to hot anyway. I would think there's interest in Sekera on the market. I would hate to see him leave, but he could give good return.

To me Leo makes most sense. One year left on his contract, an offensive force that I'm imagine several teams would be interested in. We've got Ehrhoff and Myers.

Also, I would look for anything in return for Brennan if sending him to Rochester means he is lost for nothing. So, could Leo and Brennan give us something we need in return?
I think pardy was a throw in, but he might thrive in our system similar to sulzer. We can never have to many nhl experienced dmen. But with that in mind i think two go, Mcnabb and leopold

SundherDome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:27 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
I think pardy was a throw in, but he might thrive in our system similar to sulzer. We can never have to many nhl experienced dmen. But with that in mind i think two go, Mcnabb and leopold
McNabb was in the list of Regier's untouchables in Paul Hamilton's article at WGR's website.

I would be surprised if he gets moved.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:28 AM
jamers

I'd agree that it's probably unlikely that Myers, Regehr or Ehrhoff are traded. Pardy could be part of a package deal that includes a bigger piece like Sekera or Leopold. Right now, I'm guessing Sekera is involved in some of their plays on bigger pieces. I'd hate to lose Sekera as well, but depending on who he can help us get...

I definitely expect some kind of trade involving a few of our D.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
McNabb was in the list of Regier's untouchables in Paul Hamilton's article at WGR's website.

Paul Hamilton has always said McNabb was one of HIS untouchables. Has Regier actually said that or has Hamilton confirmed he's on Regier's "list"?

We all know Regier wants NHL depth defensemen. Of course he won't come out and say it right after acquiring him, as he did with Kotalik, but I expect Pardy will be in the AHL and available for emergency call ups.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:30 AM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:

Missed that, thanks for the info.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:34 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

At this point, Paul Hamilton really has no credibility.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:34 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
Paul Hamilton has always said McNabb was one of HIS untouchables. Has Regier actually said that or has Hamilton confirmed he's on Regier's "list"?
Here is what he wrote:

http://wgr550.com/HAMILTON--The-Sabr...d-off/13615703

Quote:
Regier mentioned they still wanted a big center, but how about the wing. Is he still open to acquiring scoring to the wing? Regier said, “We’re looking at any situation that will make us a better team, so we’re not locked in, and certainly there are some guys we would not want to trade (Myers, McNabb, Ennis, Hodgson, Miller, Foligno, Grigorenko and Girgensons) under any circumstances, there’s lots of flexibility there yet.”
He didn't name the players in the video [http://www.buffalonews.com/video/?bc...1550816428001], so who knows.

I would be surprised given the emphasis that Regier has given so far this off season to getting tougher that McNabb is a guy that gets moved.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:39 AM
sabrefan27

The only movement of McNabb will be down to Rochester. He's not getting traded.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post

We all know Regier wants NHL depth defensemen. Of course he won't come out and say it right after acquiring him, as he did with Kotalik, but I expect Pardy will be in the AHL and available for emergency call ups.
Yeah, once saw $2M for Pardy he seemed like a logical choice to be stashed in Rochester.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Sabresfansince1980

McNabb should be slotted to replace Regehr next year. I think they want him to polish his game in Rochester before doing that, and I doubt and definitely don't want him to get moved. He's part of the whole "get harder to play against" plan.

I like Leopold, but he could be a piece worth moving as a pending UFA, with Pysyk as a possible replacement for him next year.

Brennan is a prime candidate for trade, Weber would be also but the Ott deal makes that seem dirty.

I'd like to think Brennan and one of Leopold or Pysyk would be quality trade pieces. I'd like to think Pardy would be too, but he just stinks of a salary dump a la Kotalik.

I still see a d-corps of...

Sekera-Myers
Ehrhoff-Sulzer
Leopold-Regehr
Weber and maybe Pardy

Last edited by Sabresfansince1980: 07-03-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:59 AM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
McNabb should be slotted to replace Regehr next year. I think they want him to polish his game in Rochester before doing that, and I doubt and definitely don't want him to get moved. He's part of the whole "get harder to play against" plan.

I like Leopold, but he could be a piece worth moving as a pending UFA, with Pysyk as a possible replacement for him next year.

Brennan is a prime candidate for trade, Weber would be also but the Ott deal makes that seem dirty.

I'd like to think Brennan and one of Leopold or Pysyk would be quality trade pieces. I'd like to think Pardy would be too, but he just stinks of a salary dumb a la Kotalik.

I still see a d-corps of...

Sekera-Myers
Ehrhoff-Sulzer
Leopold-Regehr
Weber and maybe Pardy
I could see brennan taking leopolds spot and Sekera's gap taken by pysyk

Maybe 2012 - 2013

Myers- Regehr
Ehrhoff - Sulzer
Weber - Pardy/Brennan/Finley

Old
07-03-2012, 11:03 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
I could see brennan taking leopolds spot and Sekera's gap taken by pysyk

Maybe 2012 - 2013

Myers- Regehr
Ehrhoff - Sulzer
Weber - Pardy/Brennan/Finley
Sekera --> Pysyk makes sense with Myers being the only RHD amongst the top 8 or 9 right now. And then you have Ehrhoff who is a LHD that likes to play on the right side.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:04 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Is it possible, just .... Possible, that Regier is getting a couple of extra defensemen because he plans on trading away a couple defensemen (prospects or NHLers) to a team in desperate need of good defensemen for a center or top 6 winger?

It could happen IMO

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:05 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Is it possible, just .... Possible, that Regier is getting a couple of extra defensemen because he plans on trading away a couple defensemen (prospects or NHLers) to a team in desperate need of good defensemen for a center or top 6 winger?

It could happen IMO
If he has more trades in the works, that would make the most sense along with possibly moving Vanek, Stafford, or Pominville.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Here is what he wrote:

He didn't name the players in the video [http://www.buffalonews.com/video/?bc...1550816428001], so who knows.

I would be surprised given the emphasis that Regier has given so far this off season to getting tougher that McNabb is a guy that gets moved.
Thanks. It is interesting to know if those names came out of Darcy's mouth or not. I like the list, but I'm a bit surprised he actually named names. Doesn't seem Regier's style. What does that say to the players not on the list? Pack your bags maybe? Just unexpected, IMO.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Wisent42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post

It could happen IMO
That's what I'm thinking too.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:11 AM
AxxVicarious

I've really grown to like Sekeras game, so I'd be bummed out if he does get traded, but I hope if he does, its for something of value in return.

I'd prefer they trade Psysk to Sekera, since Sekera is a proven solid d-man who hustles every play, but the other teams know this as well.

Sooner or later we're going to have to shed the older guys like Leopold anyway, I'd much rather do that now, even if we don't get a top scoring offensive weapon and keep our core D in-tact.

AxxVicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:35 AM
OkimLom

I think the Pardy move was made for insurance reason in case he needs to throw in one of his "untouchables". Kind of Like:

Darcy: "Hey what would it take to get..."
Other GM: "Well, I would have to receive... and..."
Darcy: "We kind of think highly of..."
Other GM: "I'm willing to make this trade but you must include him..."
Darcy: "Okay, well let me make this trade I have planned and then we can come to terms..."

[Darcy trades for Ott/Pardy]

Darcy: "Alright I'm willing to make this move, lets make this trade we spoke of..."
Other Gm: "Deal, thanks for doing business with us"

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

I'd be shocked if two of them weren't traded by the time the season started.

Timbo Slice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:04 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Here is what he wrote:

There's many ways to read into that quote about the players. Either Darcy said those names as examples, or Paul being Paul ASSUMED those were the guys he meant. Seeing as it is a WGR piece written by their hockey "expert", I think he was just assuming.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Sabretip

Myers, Ehrhoff, Regehr and McNabb are likely untouchables in Regier's mind.

Everyone else on defense would seem possible for inclusion in a trade IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Sekera played so well for the value of his deal last year that he's probably the best trade asset they have... and also a player they would miss most if they do deal him.

Leopold is on the last year of his deal and given the annual UFA inflation for mid-pairing puck movers, his deal is also good value.

I suspect both have value to other teams, with Sekera holding more. It may be a case of giving to get, with him being the feature piece in any possible move up front.

Pardy seems like a cap casualty in the making. He's big, I'll give him that, but can he be physical enough and more importantly, safe enough with the puck? It looks like he'll have an uphill battle to make the team.

07-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Leopold is the guy they should be shopping hard for a comparable mid line center... nothing fancy

if they are going for a splash, then they have to put Sekera on the market

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:31 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Leopold is the guy they should be shopping hard for a comparable mid line center... nothing fancy

if they are going for a splash, then they have to put Sekera on the market
What would the Sabres need to add re: Leopold for Beglund.

A big center with size? Check.

I know someone here posted a rumor (though I forget if it was a reliable or unreliable one) about the Sabres talking with the Blues...that would seem to make a lot of sense. Blues get a top 4 minute eating LD, we get a big center.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote