HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penner re-signs [1 yr, $3.25M]

Old
07-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Chazz Reinhold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
I'm definitely happier that it's a one-year deal. That way Penner has another year to prove himself under the tutelage of Darryl Sutter.

This is Penner's last chance. We saw some brilliance in the playoffs, but if he wants a chance of getting another contract after this one, he's gonna have to step up and put up numbers consistently. I'm expecting 20-25 goals (minimum) and 50-60 points.
I think that's a little unrealistic for Penner. He's never been a 50-60 point scorer in his career. Only once has a cracked 60, and usually he's right around 40. A 20-20 season is probably much more realistic.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=77717

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:53 AM
DaAnimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
Sharks fan here, I come in peace. If this deal was any more than 1 year I'd say it was a bad deal because as you all know he had a rough season until the playoffs. What would you guys say if it was like 2 or 3 years out of $3.25? I'm just curious about that because I wonder if he can go back to his old form of being a 40-60 point player.
Pretty happy if you ask most Kings fans. However I think most will tell you 3.25 is a bit too high. But then again if you think about it, it's just 1 year so it's a win win for both parties I guess.

If he succeeds (40+ pts) GREAT. If he suffers like he did prior to our playoff run, then we only have to deal with him for a year. We also have a lot of players who can replace him.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:17 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
I think that's a little unrealistic for Penner. He's never been a 50-60 point scorer in his career. Only once has a cracked 60, and usually he's right around 40. A 20-20 season is probably much more realistic.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=77717
Sorry Chazz, don't agree. After watching him in Edmonton for several years the dude has flat out great talent. He posted 40+ points while floating through half the season. On a legit line with two great talents (like Crater and Richards) for a full year, he should be more than capable of 60 points.

As for the contract, we overpaid, but it's a one year deal so I'm ok with it. I was hedging towards $2.9 million or so (which also would have been an overpayment). He did have a solid playoffs, but Penner's job is also to score goals and points. Three goals in 20 playoff games (albeit one very clutch goal against Phoenix) isn't overly impressive. 84 games, 9 goals 23 points in the regular season as a King, and 26 games, 4 goals and 13 points in the playoffs. I know numbers aren't everything, but those aren't exactly great numbers period. For a guy who should reach 20 goals in a season as a bare minimum with the talent he has, 13 goals in 110 games as a King is a disaster.

I was impressed with his work ethic in the playoffs, and I expect that to carry over into the regular season. If so, 25 goals and 50 points is a fairly realistic expectation.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I was impressed with his work ethic in the playoffs, and I expect that to carry over into the regular season. If so, 25 goals and 50 points is a fairly realistic expectation.
If those are your expectations, then you are going to be pissed most of the season. The Kings aren't built to get 25 goals and 50 points from their 2nd/3rd line LWs. 15 goals and 35 points would be more realistic. The Kings are not going to be a top 5 offense for 82 games. Closer to 10th-15th overall, around 2.7 goals per game.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Penner won't be getting 60 points if he isn't getting PP time, he didn't get much at all last season. That line also figures to draw a alot of the toughest defensive matchups. And finally any potential numbers that Penner and Carter will put up this season depends a lot on which Mike Richards shows up, if it's the Flyers one then that line could be a force, if it's the guy who scored at a 48 point pace last year, then I wouldn't expect big numbers from DP.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 494
I love this contract. I also love that DL and DS laid in to him. I also also love that DP took a 1 year deal and wants to prove himself.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

wanted him back when, even though he had a bad year, he was the guy who stepped up and fought Rinaldo after he leveled Doughty early in the season

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Per Twitter:

Dustin Penner ‏@Dustinpenner25 Time to scrub in and channel my inner Doogie Howser. They flew in a kidney and need me to do the transplant #propofol? http://pic.twitter.com/fPjlntS6

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:46 PM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
If those are your expectations, then you are going to be pissed most of the season. The Kings aren't built to get 25 goals and 50 points from their 2nd/3rd line LWs. 15 goals and 35 points would be more realistic. The Kings are not going to be a top 5 offense for 82 games. Closer to 10th-15th overall, around 2.7 goals per game.
And with any luck, top 3 in GA. That'd put us in the top 5-10 teams in the league, easy.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Per Twitter:

Dustin Penner ‏@Dustinpenner25 Time to scrub in and channel my inner Doogie Howser. They flew in a kidney and need me to do the transplant #propofol? http://pic.twitter.com/fPjlntS6

I love this guy #propofol - LOL!

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Per Twitter:

The funny thing is he shaved only two hours ago

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:52 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Penner won't be getting 60 points if he isn't getting PP time, he didn't get much at all last season. That line also figures to draw a alot of the toughest defensive matchups. And finally any potential numbers that Penner and Carter will put up this season depends a lot on which Mike Richards shows up, if it's the Flyers one then that line could be a force, if it's the guy who scored at a 48 point pace last year, then I wouldn't expect big numbers from DP.
Sounds like you have experience in identifying the characteristics of a hack (or hacker) which isn't surprising .

Hard to say how Penner will turn out. He did get out of his marital troubles (among others) and finally got his head into the game for the playoffs. I could see him putting it back together since it is solely in his best interest and now that he doesn't really have any off ice issues he also doesn't really have any off ice excuses to us for his poor play.

He either has a good season or his value will drop a couple of million next off season.

It will be interesting to watch him this season.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:17 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Frankly, I don't see the points being a problem at all. He scored at a 45 point pace in the playoffs, and that was against the top three seeds in the West, as well as the Devils. If he keeps bringing it at that level in the regular season he'll score at a 50 point pace.

The goals may not be as easy to come by, but he's done it in the past and really, outside of last season, he's been a consistent 20 goal threat. I highly doubt DL brings Penner back with the expectations that 15 goals and 35 points is good enough for someone with that size and talent.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:57 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Frankly, I don't see the points being a problem at all. He scored at a 45 point pace in the playoffs, and that was against the top three seeds in the West, as well as the Devils. If he keeps bringing it at that level in the regular season he'll score at a 50 point pace.

The goals may not be as easy to come by, but he's done it in the past and really, outside of last season, he's been a consistent 20 goal threat. I highly doubt DL brings Penner back with the expectations that 15 goals and 35 points is good enough for someone with that size and talent.
Richards and Carter open up the ice for him, Sutter doesn't have Penner playing in a system he cannot play (muck the corners) and he seems to be properly motivated. I think he'll be fine, 40-50 points is what I think is a safe expectation.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote