HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Were we not one of the top scoring teams last year ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2012, 11:21 AM
  #26
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
BUT vs NJ in POs, it was NOT just defense and goaltending that was the issue.

If you recall, every single one of our players, incl our so called potent offensive players, were continuously beaten to the pucks, losing board battles etc to the Devils.

Maybe we can find excuses , ie Giroux was hurt, Jagr was old etc, but what of Hartnell, Simmonds, Voracek, Couts, Schenn, Read, Talbot? Were they all injured or elderly?

No. They had no heart.

e shoulda had enough ffensive depth to crush Devils. Or at least, not lose in 5 games.

Scoring lotsa goals in reg season means little if you disappear when it counts,


Last edited by rban*: 07-03-2012 at 11:26 AM.
rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:16 PM
  #27
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,831
vCash: 500
Why not a Brad Boyes.... he can score when motivated... I don't know much about him and not sure how much he'd demand $ wise?

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:19 PM
  #28
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Why not a Brad Boyes.... he can score when motivated... I don't know much about him and not sure how much he'd demand $ wise?
He signed with the Islanders on Sunday.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:40 PM
  #29
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,840
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
He signed with the Islanders on Sunday.
for $1 million no less

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:13 PM
  #30
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Funny thing is, not everything comes down to statistics. Semin is not a flyers player. He wouldn't last 10 games here.
can we get this stickied?

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:47 PM
  #31
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Trouble is, he doesn't want it. He's cashing in on his talent, coasting through games.
so like Danny briere?

Guys don't push every game during the season, but semin was pretty good in the postseason.

He won't cut it here though (neither would Suter) personality wont fit for the media in this city. Pronger's personality is peeerrrfect for an athlete here.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:52 PM
  #32
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
Semin next to giroux would just be scary. Even with so-so effort he'd still pot 40+.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:06 PM
  #33
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Semin next to giroux would just be scary. Even with so-so effort he'd still pot 40+.
and then in the playoffs we'd exit in the first round

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:13 PM
  #34
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,031
vCash: 500
Not a fan of Semin. Really do not want....but if Jagr leaves...

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:23 PM
  #35
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
so like Danny briere?

Guys don't push every game during the season, but semin was pretty good in the postseason.

He won't cut it here though (neither would Suter) personality wont fit for the media in this city. Pronger's personality is peeerrrfect for an athlete here.
Briere tries. He's just awful at defense. There is a difference.

Suter will fit just as well as Timonen did. I have no idea why you think he would be any different to other FA's we have had here.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:42 PM
  #36
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Briere tries. He's just awful at defense. There is a difference.
Honest question: How frequently do you watch the Caps?

Semin is equal or better defensively than pretty much everyone who projects into our top-six. He's an above average two-way player for someone with his offensive skillset.

I'm just not sure he will be worth what he gets offered from a team like Detroit, assuming Parise goes elsewhere.

The stuff about his effort, etc., is 90 percent B.S.--fueled by TSN's anti-Russian bias and a few disgruntled former players.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:06 PM
  #37
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I thought our offense was pretty darn solid last season,and near the top of the league ? But our D and Goal tending were our weaker areas ? I keep seeing all of these CRAZY $$$$$$$$$$$ amounts being supposedly thrown at Parise, or some of the reported players involved at getting Ryan etc, and i really wonder if any of this is REALLY needed ?

I gotta believe if anything happens it should/ might be on the defensive side, but personally i do not think anything "extreme" is actually needed there as well.....Just need a little better goal tending by Bryz in my opinion, and perhaps a tweak on the defense at mid season if things are not looking as good as they should on the blue line...Parise, Ryan, etc would certainly be nice players to have......But are we throwing the baby out with the bath water if all the $$$$$$$$ rumors are true ?
The team defense on this team was horrible. When the other team only has to cycle the puck and they will get an easy wide open chance in front of the net there is something wrong....

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:47 PM
  #38
litflyersfan
Registered User
 
litflyersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bryn Mawr, Pa
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Not a fan of Semin. Really do not want....but if Jagr leaves...
There goes Jagr (Dallas, wait....wait.....Dallas? really)

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:34 PM
  #39
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Honest question: How frequently do you watch the Caps?

Semin is equal or better defensively than pretty much everyone who projects into our top-six. He's an above average two-way player for someone with his offensive skillset.

I'm just not sure he will be worth what he gets offered from a team like Detroit, assuming Parise goes elsewhere.

The stuff about his effort, etc., is 90 percent B.S.--fueled by TSN's anti-Russian bias and a few disgruntled former players.
Semin is one of the best defensive players in the entire league. Yes, I do watch, and I see with my own eyes. Semin is a lazy player.

When he's on his game he's a top 5 player in the league. Problem is, he just doesn't try.

But believe that the big bad TSN guys are the ones spreading rumours.

Previous coach, previous team mates, media and insiders all calling him lazy. Something is wrong somewhere.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:47 PM
  #40
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Briere tries. He's just awful at defense. There is a difference.
If by try you mean half heartedly throw sticks around and spin in circles sort of near someone then yes, he tries.

He's worse than awful.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:57 AM
  #41
FLYERSFAN18
Registered User
 
FLYERSFAN18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,959
vCash: 500
If I were Homer, I would seriously consider looking into trading Briere this offseason. I will say that he has been one of my favorites since he arrived here, and that he has done a lot of great things as a Flyer. But with the way this team sits with our three young centers, we need to develop them and not let that young talent go to waste. The extra assets that we obtain could then be flipped to obtain a winger for Giroux.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:21 AM
  #42
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
If I were Homer, I would seriously consider looking into trading Briere this offseason. I will say that he has been one of my favorites since he arrived here, and that he has done a lot of great things as a Flyer. But with the way this team sits with our three young centers, we need to develop them and not let that young talent go to waste. The extra assets that we obtain could then be flipped to obtain a winger for Giroux.
I don't think it matters. To me, both Couturier and B. Schenn are top 6 players. While everyone loves the notion of having 3 tremendous centers, both of these guys are simply too good not to have out there in your premiere power play and ES minutes. Moving Schenn to the wing gets him used to that position and opens up the 2C spot for when Briere expires (or allows Briere to move to the other wing if Couturier develops sooner than 3 years). By that time, it's entirely likely that Laughton is ready to seize the 3C position previously occupied by Couturier.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:38 AM
  #43
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,231
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
BUT vs NJ in POs, it was NOT just defense and goaltending that was the issue.

If you recall, every single one of our players, incl our so called potent offensive players, were continuously beaten to the pucks, losing board battles etc to the Devils.

Maybe we can find excuses , ie Giroux was hurt, Jagr was old etc, but what of Hartnell, Simmonds, Voracek, Couts, Schenn, Read, Talbot? Were they all injured or elderly?

No. They had no heart.

e shoulda had enough ffensive depth to crush Devils. Or at least, not lose in 5 games.

Scoring lotsa goals in reg season means little if you disappear when it counts,
Their hearts didn't disappear between rounds. NJ was phenomenal, and they hadn't been checked like that alll year, outside of maybe one game against the Blues. They were not a veteran group and couldn't adjust. Teams without guts dont come back how they did all year.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:06 AM
  #44
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,271
vCash: 500
People are underestimating Semin, he was easily Wash's best player in the playoffs.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:13 AM
  #45
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,731
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post
Then why the heck is Homer not taking a run at Semin. He's the best pure sniper/goal scorer to the hit the market. Parise has a better all-round game, but in terms of shooting there' Semin and then there's everyone else. The absolute ideal guy for Giroux, would probably cost less in cap hit and esspecially term than Parise (did the team really offer him 13 years that's nuts).
Because Semin is seen as a volatile locker room player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Couturier View Post
People are underestimating Semin, he was easily Wash's best player in the playoffs.
Um, what? He had 1 point in his last 9 games.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.