HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds Development Camp

Old
06-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
Preds Development Camp

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636042

Just an fyi.

If anyone is attending the camp, it would be great to hear your thoughts on the participants.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
I'm headed there this weekend for sure.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Broom of the System

Wrong link.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

I will be there tomorrow, Saturday & Sunday

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Hungarian goalie (unsigned, playing for Helsinki Jokerit) Zoltan Hetenyi's been impressing the people following the camp, more than Hellberg so far (as per Matias Strozyk from Jatkoaika.com on his twitter account).

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Hockeyfrilla

how did Pontus Åberg look at the dev. camp?

Hockeyfrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
how did Pontus Åberg look at the dev. camp?
Wow, just forgot I had a bunch of notes I forgot to type up...I'll post the full thing later, but here's Aberg:

He looked decent in the scrimmage, nothing great, nothing awful. Then the shootout happened....

He went 2 for 2, scoring one on a scary-quick release five hole and the other on a top shelf wrister. I could have sworn Paul Kariya was wearing #37 out there during on the 2nd shot.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:19 AM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Wow, just forgot I had a bunch of notes I forgot to type up...I'll post the full thing later, but here's Aberg:

He looked decent in the scrimmage, nothing great, nothing awful. Then the shootout happened....

He went 2 for 2, scoring one on a scary-quick release five hole and the other on a top shelf wrister. I could have sworn Paul Kariya was wearing #37 out there during on the 2nd shot.
Yeah I heard that Aberg had a good shot and likes to go five hole so not surprising that he did well in the shootout. Remember he is still young so his scrimmage play should improve a lot over the next several years.

To be honest I can't wait to read your notes because there's no other Predators news to read currently. Interested to hear how Sissons, Budish and Watson looked.

alexmanu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Im just some fan and I only saw Sunday, so take everything with about a pound of salt, but here's what I got.

First and foremost, I don't know who Zoltan Hetenyi is, but sign him to a contract NOW. Today. This second. He was easily the most impressive of the three goalies there. I'm no scout or anything, but I do play goalie, so I know a little about it (more than skaters at least). I went into camp expecting Hellberg to be Lindback good, but he was very average. Hetenyi, however, blew me away. He played a style that reminded me of Tim Thomas. Small, but incredibly agressive. Challenges shooters like no one I have ever seen. You could tell he wasn't from here because he played the puck in teh trapazoid twice, so Dean Evason gave him a brief talking-to and everyone laughed about it a little bit. I was just oooing and ahhing over this kid the whole time. He made one incredible scramble save on a one timer across the net and I almost passed out for joy.

Hellberg was the 2nd best goalie of the day, but didnt really stand out. Mazenec was meh.

Forwards- Nick Oliver was the biggest surprise. He and Chase Balisy have some serious creativity, but no size. Cehlin scored a 1-1 goal and is just as fast as I remember him being. Sissons was pretty much as advertised. Aberg I already discussed. I was expecting Watson to be a boy among men, but he really just blended in. He wasn't bad, he just wasn't great. Leipsic is literally a clone of Jordin Tootoo. Tiny, fast, and annoying.

Defenseman- Karlsson and Bitteto were surprisingly good. Like Watson, Ekholm didn't stand out the way I had hoped. He did ring one laser of a shot off the post, but other than that, I hardly noticed him.

Don't have my notes with me, this is just off the top of my head, so I might post more later.

Long story short, sign Hetenyi.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:39 AM
alexmanu

Hetenyi is 24 years old though and so where would he fit in? I mean Smith and Hellberg are likely the two goalies for the Ads. Pickard is still hanging around like a bad smell. If the coaches saw what you did, though, then I wouldn't be surprised if we signed him.

Who knows? After getting Mason, Smith might be a tradeable asset... But I would prefer to keep him as the Ad's starter.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
Hetenyi is 24 years old though and so where would he fit in? I mean Smith and Hellberg are likely the two goalies for the Ads. Pickard is still hanging around like a bad smell. If the coaches saw what you did, though, then I wouldn't be surprised if we signed him.

Who knows? After getting Mason, Smith might be a trade able asset... But I would prefer to keep him as the Ad's starter.
I don't know where he fits, but man, he really impressed me. Being 24 probably helped though.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:

Who knows? After getting Mason, Smith might be a tradeable asset... But I would prefer to keep him as the Ad's starter.
I only saw the last 17.4 seconds of the scrimmage and the shootout, but heard from several in attendance that Hetenyi was very impressive.

Watching a lot of footage of him on YouTube leading up to the camp, I noticed a lot of similarities to Rinne and Lindback, but without the size of either of those two (6'2" as opposed to 6'5") I think the comparison to Thomas is a good one.

Hetenyi has a quick glove and great lateral movement. He moves around his net very quickly and efficiently allowing him to challenge shooters and recover back to the posts when needed.

The goals against I saw were generally due to a bad rebound out to the slot or a lost angle, but those are things that can be worked on and the footage was also over a year old, so...they might have already been.

Hetenyi is signed for another year in SM-liiga, but I think the Predators will keep a close eye on him and look to possibly bring him over next summer to play in Milwaukee if Hellberg needs more time. Pickard's deal is up next summer and Smith is an RFA right now. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, but I think with Mason signed to backup Rinne if they decided to sign him (would have to get a release from Finland) that Smith's spot might not be as secure. I don't think much happens though right now. If anything, I see Hetenyi as a free agent signing next summer.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:30 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
dangit... was getting ready to make some Adam Sandler comments and then remembered that was "Zohan"...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I only saw the last 17.4 seconds of the scrimmage and the shootout, but heard from several in attendance that Hetenyi was very impressive.

Watching a lot of footage of him on YouTube leading up to the camp, I noticed a lot of similarities to Rinne and Lindback, but without the size of either of those two (6'2" as opposed to 6'5") I think the comparison to Thomas is a good one.

Hetenyi has a quick glove and great lateral movement. He moves around his net very quickly and efficiently allowing him to challenge shooters and recover back to the posts when needed.

The goals against I saw were generally due to a bad rebound out to the slot or a lost angle, but those are things that can be worked on and the footage was also over a year old, so...they might have already been.

Hetenyi is signed for another year in SM-liiga, but I think the Predators will keep a close eye on him and look to possibly bring him over next summer to play in Milwaukee if Hellberg needs more time. Pickard's deal is up next summer and Smith is an RFA right now. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, but I think with Mason signed to backup Rinne if they decided to sign him (would have to get a release from Finland) that Smith's spot might not be as secure. I don't think much happens though right now. If anything, I see Hetenyi as a free agent signing next summer.
"Prospect" describes Hetenyi aka Zoltan The Saviour very well. A poster at jatkoaika.com (the Finnish equivalent of HFBoards more or less) said he talked to Jokerit goalie coach Markus Ketterer a couple of times during the season and according to Ketterer, Hetenyi was very raw technically when he came to Finland and spent the majority of last season in extensive training. His development has been phenomenal and he overtook Oilers draft pick Frans Tuohimaa as the preferred backup towards the end of the season. I believe his win % is fairly good in SM-liiga. Assuming he plays much more next season and continues to show development, he could be someone to look at in next year's Draft.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:44 AM
alexmanu

Does anyone know how Taylor Beck got on? He is one of my favourite prospects and I have the feeling he will be able to be a good point-getter at the NHL level. I wouldn't be surprised if he got the call up from Milwaukee this coming season.

Old
07-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Does anyone know how Taylor Beck got on? He is one of my favourite prospects and I have the feeling he will be able to be a good point-getter at the NHL level. I wouldn't be surprised if he got the call up from Milwaukee this coming season.
I only went to Sunday, so I have a tiny, tiny sample size, but Beck just blended in with the group IMO. Not great, not awful. His former team-mate Latta stood out much more.

Old
07-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
I only went to Sunday, so I have a tiny, tiny sample size, but Beck just blended in with the group IMO. Not great, not awful. His former team-mate Latta stood out much more.
Really hope Latta can get in a few regular season games before hitting the 8 or 9 game mark (forget what the max number of games is before they have to be sent down). Seems to have all the tools and ability.

Did anyone get a look at Josh Shalla? I've seen him in 2 OHL games over here and really like his game. Underrated.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Really hope Latta can get in a few regular season games before hitting the 8 or 9 game mark (forget what the max number of games is before they have to be sent down). Seems to have all the tools and ability.

Did anyone get a look at Josh Shalla? I've seen him in 2 OHL games over here and really like his game. Underrated.
Same deal as Beck to me. He didn't stand out, but 1. I had a very small sample size and 2. I'm just some guy posting on a message board.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 07-09-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old
07-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Same deal as Beck to be. He didn't stand out, but 1. I had a very small sample size and 2. I'm just some guy posting on a message board.
You mean this doesn't count as an official scouting report!?

Old
07-09-2012, 01:10 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post

the 10 game rule only applies to players who would be sent back to junior.

latta is already in Milwaukee(right?) so he can play however many games he can earn

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the 10 game rule only applies to players who would be sent back to junior.

latta is already in Milwaukee(right?) so he can play however many games he can earn
You're right on both accounts.