HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Non-Sharks Nor Cal Sports Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 06:56 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
Thank you Giants! Ok Mets now your turn. Make it 8 in a Row Losses for the Doyers please!

Old
07-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

vCash: 1185
Great game today.... Buster Posey, Melky Cabrera, Pablo Sandavol, & Matt Cain all going to 2012 Allstar Game

Old
07-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post
Yep. Did they really need three DH's? Reddick has been better than Dunn and Butler.
Reddick has a had a nice season, no doubt. Great pickup for my fantasy team as well. But if I'm Ron Washington and need a bat off the bench I'm taking the guy who is on pace for 50 hr's and 120 rbi. All. Day.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Stash
Gonna miss this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Reddick has a had a nice season, no doubt. Great pickup for my fantasy team as well. But if I'm Ron Washington and need a bat off the bench I'm taking the guy who is on pace for 50 hr's and 120 rbi. All. Day.
RBI is a team dependent stat.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Shape

Quote:
RBI is a team dependent stat.
Ok. If I'm Ron Washington I want Dunn's bat over Reddicks. Period.

Deserving players get snubbed every year. It sucks but it is what it is. Pablo hit .330 with 15 bombs and 55 RBI and didn't make it in 2009.

If Reddick puts up similar numbers to his this season next year I betcha he makes it though.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Stash
Gonna miss this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Ok. If I'm Ron Washington I want Dunn's bat over Reddicks. Period.

Deserving players get snubbed every year. It sucks but it is what it is. Pablo hit .330 with 15 bombs and 55 RBI and didn't make it in 2009.

If Reddick puts up similar numbers to his this season next year I betcha he makes it though.
.210/.359/.507, .370 wOBA, 131 wRC+, 1.4 WAR
.260/.340/.517, .369 wOBA, 136 wRC+, 3.1 WAR

Not a whole lot of difference in production at the plate, but then consider that Reddick plays the field and does so very well and it should be pretty obvious that Reddick is the superior player.

I would have to go back and update the "stupid Ron Washington" part of my earlier post though. I found out Dunn was a player pick, not a manager pick. So there is nothing he could have done about Dunn, but he is still stupid for making Cook the A's rep instead of Reddick.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:58 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

I want Norris to stick with the A's. He is awesome.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
.210/.359/.507, .370 wOBA, 131 wRC+, 1.4 WAR
.260/.340/.517, .369 wOBA, 136 wRC+, 3.1 WAR

Not a whole lot of difference in production at the plate, but then consider that Reddick plays the field and does so very well and it should be pretty obvious that Reddick is the superior player.

I would have to go back and update the "stupid Ron Washington" part of my earlier post though. I found out Dunn was a player pick, not a manager pick. So there is nothing he could have done about Dunn, but he is still stupid for making Cook the A's rep instead of Reddick.
Reddick and Cook both deserve to be on the team.

Players get snubbed every year. Even though Reddick is the better overall player, Dunn has been there before and this is Reddick's first standout season. If he plays at the same pace next season, he'll make the team.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky F View Post
pretty crappy for the a's that their last in voting is for pitchers.
Yeah, maybe we should have stuffed the ballots for a player that doesn't belong anywhere near the game. Maybe our 3rd baseman....

Last edited by Clowe Me: 07-02-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Clowe Me

Oakland native Dontrelle Willis announced his retirement.

Damn, he went from decent to not good enough for the minors in a short span of time.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Risky F
Don't Mess Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Yeah, maybe we should have stuffed the ballots for a player that doesn't belong anywhere near the game. Maybe our 3rd baseman....
i'm just as surprised as you about that one.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
I'm surprised there isn't a rule prohibiting players from making the all star team if they don't qualify for statistical leader boards because of lack of innings. Anyone know the fewest number of games played by someone who was selected to the all star team?

Every year it seems people complain that fans shouldn't have the right to vote on all star teams. I can't think of a sport that doesn't include fan participation though. Will any league ever grow a pair and exclude the fans? It would make for a much better game, but I"m sure the cries of conspiracy would only be amplified.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
I'm surprised there isn't a rule prohibiting players from making the all star team if they don't qualify for statistical leader boards because of lack of innings. Anyone know the fewest number of games played by someone who was selected to the all star team?

Every year it seems people complain that fans shouldn't have the right to vote on all star teams. I can't think of a sport that doesn't include fan participation though. Will any league ever grow a pair and exclude the fans? It would make for a much better game, but I"m sure the cries of conspiracy would only be amplified.
I'd watch the game if it was the best players playing. But with the fans biased vote and managers squabbles (La Russa/Baker), they aren't putting the best product out there. I'd like to see them keep the fan vote for the significance of honoring the team and players, but I would like to see the managers have the right to pick the starters, and would like to see the players use better judgement when they are voted on and know they don't belong due to injury or performance.

Sandoval, Kemp, and Napoli don't belong at the game, let alone as starters.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky F View Post
i'm just as surprised as you about that one.
I'm not. Every fanbase has their fanboys and morons. The Giants have great fans, but the bandwagoners came to the forefront this season.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:37 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Quote:
I'm not. Every fanbase has their fanboys and morons. The Giants have great fans, but the bandwagoners came to the forefront this season.
they've had a band of bandwagoners since 2000

Old
07-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:

Like Shape said, Pablo got robbed of a spot in '09, so this helps make up for that. Kind of like Al Pacino winning an Oscar for Scent of a Woman.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
they've had a band of bandwagoners since 2000

It wasn't too long after this that the A's started to lose their bandwagoners. Maybe all of these new Giants fans are actually former A's fans.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Franchise13

You know, I find it a bit funny that A's fans can rip on the "bandwagon" Giants fans openly but when it's the other way around, it gets censored/moderated instantly or people get real pissy quickly.

(Note: this is more of a general thing I've observed, moreso than anything here)

Now I have no problem with the A's, nor their fans, but it seems like there's a gigantic chip on both their shoulders. The passive aggressive stuff gets old.

A's being in a dire financial strait doesn't make their fans more hardcore or more of a purist. Just like it didn't make SFG fans more hardcore or pure when they were playing at Candlestick.

A's could actually benefit from bandwagon fans, dunno why A's fans rips on the type of fans they think the Giants have. Grand scheme of things doesn't every fanbase have a group of hardcore fans and a bandwagon group? The thing people don't realize/acknowledge is fiscal success is garnering the casual fans. Bigger casual group = bigger fan base = more fiscal success = better team = better for the hardcore fans. Obviously that's in real simple terms, but... it's essentially what it comes down to. You know those corporate "suits" that sit in AAA Club at ATT? Well they have kids or friends. Maybe since they have those kids and friends whom may not be baseball fans at the time become fans because of the opportunity they got. Maybe even become hardcore fans so they can get accepted by the elite.

Sorry, I just see this argument a ton, with either teams in less than ideal situations like the A's or even with hockey fans/media when compared against other leagues. Why piss on people's parade instead of hoping their own situations get fixed.

Panda got voted in the all star game. It happens every year. Don't blame SF fans for taking advantage of a system that's in place. The same system that probably screwed them of a few all stars in the past... Looking at you Victorino.

EDIT:

All star games are/should be exhibition games and should purely be for the fans/city it's held in. Selig artificially trying to make it count by tying Home Field advantage to it is dumb.

Last edited by Franchise13: 07-03-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Clowe Me

Every team has bandwagon fans. No one is ripping them, it's an observation.

Brandon Crawford and Brandon Belt finished in the top-5 for SS and 1B voting for the game. That should tell you something.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Broomout

So why in the hell does the giants game start at 8 am tomorrow? Never seen a game start that early

Old
07-03-2012, 02:00 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomout View Post
So why in the hell does the giants game start at 8 am tomorrow? Never seen a game start that early
cause they are in DC and want to party with Obama after the game. Technically it's 1105am for them. But I'm thinking for the fireworks later that night.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post
cause they are in DC and want to party with Obama after the game. Technically it's 1105am for them. But I'm thinking for the fireworks later that night.
I'd also imagine traffic for the events around the area would've been horrible. Nationals were probably asked to move the time to alleviate some of that.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:06 PM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomout View Post

I mean I guess I get up around that time anyway, but damn.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Shape

Quote:
Every team has bandwagon fans. No one is ripping them, it's an observation.

Brandon Crawford and Brandon Belt finished in the top-5 for SS and 1B voting for the game. That should tell you something.
It tells you that Bud Selig's system is dumb as hell. It also tells you Giants fans came out in full force.

If anything, people should be thanking Giants fans. Maybe this will force Bud to change this stupid system.

And srsly, I'm surprised all West Coast fans aren't enjoying that the Bay Area just gave a big F U to the East and NY in general. Cry me a river, Sandy Alderson.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:26 PM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

Alderson is a mega-tard. He mad.

Closed Thread