HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

2012/2013 Bruins Prospect Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 11:41 AM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Kirk, you were right about him. H

e's having no issues with keeping up with the top players in camp. If he keeps it up then he is definitely going to be a steal.
Kirk 6 minutes after the O'Gara pick last year.... "Lou, I love this kid, Bruins got a steal"..

HAHAHA

he was really into Gothberg too, and that kid had a phenomenal year in the USHL last year.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzler View Post
We'll see. Things change over there. Having signed a contract means nothing. Once he's there, getting him out will be difficult. His father runs the show. I would think he's got more pull than the B's.
Getting him out will only be difficult under certain circumstances. If at the end of next year, Koko does not appear ready for the NHL, he may want to stay another year.

Most Russians just don't like spending time in NA development leagues. I'm 95% sure he will come over within 2 years though.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:01 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig0 View Post
Grzelcyk was one of 17 defensemen invited to the try-out camp at Lake Placid in August. How O'Gara was not invited to this same try-out camp is beyond me...?? I feel he deserved at least a try-out.
O'Gara has only played in high school and has never represented the US before. This is the World Juniors. He's still a long term project, the World Juniors isn't generally for long term projects.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:57 PM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
Getting him out will only be difficult under certain circumstances. If at the end of next year, Koko does not appear ready for the NHL, he may want to stay another year.

Most Russians just don't like spending time in NA development leagues. I'm 95% sure he will come over within 2 years though.
I think he might actually be different than most russian players in this sense. I think he genuinely wants to play in the NHL, and is willing to do whatever it takes to get there.

Working under that assumption, if he works his way up to the NHL while playing in the KHL, it just pushes back the start of his ELC and allows the Bruins to add a cheap, but talented forward for 3 years in the near future. The hope might be that he takes a huge step forward this season, and is ready to fill a top 6 role in 2013-2014, to offset the likely loss of Horton, and help facilitate the re-signing of Lucic, Seguin, Marchand, and Rask.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:54 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Here is a story on Jared Knight at the Worcester Telegram: http://www.telegram.com/article/2012...45/1009/sports

Will he be in Providence this year or take the spot open in the Pouliot trade?

The third pick in the Toronto heist was a 2010 second-rounder, the Bruins using the 32nd overall selection on forward Jared Knight. The 20-year-old Michigan native likely will spend this winter in Providence, although Boston is a possibility. Those decisions are made by others. The only thing Knight can control is himself, and the plan is to show up here for training camp in September looking to make a positive impression.

“I’m just going to come in like I have the last few years, in shape and play my hardest,” he said this week during a break in the Bruins’ sixth annual Development Camp at Ristuccia Arena. “That’s really all you can do. It’ll be my third time going to a training camp, so I’ll kind of know what to expect and give it my best.”

The Bruins do have an opening up front after trading Benoit Pouliot to Tampa Bay last week. Although it’s apparently been bequeathed to Jordan Caron, the 5-foot-10, 198-pound Knight plays the kind of hockey the front office and fans in Boston are absolutely enamored with.

“Knighter is kind of a player who thrives on playing in straight lines and going to the net and playing in the dirty areas,” assistant general manager Don Sweeney said. “He just has to realize he’s been able to do some of the stuff physically at the junior level that, at the next level, these guys are going to be bigger and stronger and he’s going to have to understand how to get that space back against bigger players who can push back equally as hard as he can push. So there’s probably going to be an adjustment period for him.”

Knight will mix it up down low, but he’s more than a mucker. He’s got a hard, accurate shot and soft hands when it comes to passing. It all makes for a nice, balanced offensive game.
Knight's shot is already at the upper tier of the NHL; I knew it, I heard it, and for those who want to see it go watch the two bombs he took in game 1 of the Memorial Cup roundrobin- he took a slap shot that the goalie has still not moved on that hit the cross bar, bounced so far out that Shawingan picked up the puck and went down and put the dagger in London (I'll find the link); and a few minutes later let go an unscreened wrister from about 20 feet out you can see the goalie moving after it rung the post half way up and was already coming back towards Knight.

and the lack of goals on London? Dale Hunter had him play the Bergeron shut down role often with the Ruppert twins. There was no Nazem Kadri at center getting him the puck and Knight with the two Rupperts was the leader in forwards in +/- the OHL for most of the year. I heard Bergeron if he wanted could flirt or score 30 every year if he was just a bit more selfish but we all know that's not how Patrice runs- same personality for Knight. I know high school hockey players who have bigger egos than JK and I'm not kidding.

Knight has enough power in his skating stride to get plenty of jump, and he has been focusing on stickhandling skills that will buy him more time down low. He took off his skates after the Memorial Cup final game and never put them back on till he took the ice in Wilmington. His ankle apparently survived the power skating and the 5 days and he should be at or close to 100% with another 2 months off it.

I think his floor is probably 3rd liner his ceiling is 30+ goals on the top six forwards.

He will lay out cleanly his opponents and is not looking to blow people up for the sake of highlights, but will unload on them in the the context of the play. My bud who occasionally posts here told me hit Yakupov at center ice one time with a clean hit and Nail was spinning around like a top for 3 seconds.

He has health he has a heck of a career- starting mid September.

Last edited by DKH: 07-04-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old
07-04-2012, 07:03 AM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
O'Gara has only played in high school and has never represented the US before. This is the World Juniors. He's still a long term project, the World Juniors isn't generally for long term projects.
a scout I heard third hand but very reputable theorized if O'Gara like Jimmy Vesey went undrafted last year, he would have been a mid to late second rounder last week- which I think is where Vesey went this year.

I like both of these kids- the size disparity would be interesting paired but I have no doubt they are both solid prospects.

Old
07-04-2012, 07:27 AM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Knight's shot is already at the upper tier of the NHL; I knew it, I heard it, and for those who want to see it go watch the two bombs he took in game 1 of the Memorial Cup roundrobin- he took a slap shot that the goalie has still not moved on that hit the cross bar, bounced so far out that Shawingan picked up the puck and went down and put the dagger in London (I'll find the link); and a few minutes later let go an unscreened wrister from about 20 feet out you can see the goalie moving after it rung the post half way up and was already coming back towards Knight.

and the lack of goals on London? Dale Hunter had him play the Bergeron shut down role often with the Ruppert twins. There was no Nazem Kadri at center getting him the puck and Knight with the two Rupperts was the leader in forwards in +/- the OHL for most of the year. I heard Bergeron if he wanted could flirt or score 30 every year if he was just a bit more selfish but we all know that's not how Patrice runs- same personality for Knight. I know high school hockey players who have bigger egos than JK and I'm not kidding.

Knight has enough power in his skating stride to get plenty of jump, and he has been focusing on stickhandling skills that will buy him more time down low. He took off his skates after the Memorial Cup final game and never put them back on till he took the ice in Wilmington. His ankle apparently survived the power skating and the 5 days and he should be at or close to 100% with another 2 months off it.

I think his floor is probably 3rd liner his ceiling is 30+ goals on the top six forwards.

He will lay out cleanly his opponents and is not looking to blow people up for the sake of highlights, but will unload on them in the the context of the play. My bud who occasionally posts here told me hit Yakupov at center ice one time with a clean hit and Nail was spinning around like a top for 3 seconds.

Love what I am hearing about this kid. Next to Hamilton, I am the most stoked to see what Knight brings to the table. Just imagine, 30 goals from Knight, 100 points from Seguin and 50+ points for Hamilton in their prime. In one swoop, Chia solidified the core of the Boston Bruins. Unreal! I guess I'll keep reminding myself of this when I get depressed about Chia not overspending on UFA's.

Any idea what his current height / weight is?

Old
07-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:

Thanks for the info DKH.

Knight is gonna be a good one, good thing Chia didn't overpay for a FA this year.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:13 AM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 774EVER View Post
Love what I am hearing about this kid. Next to Hamilton, I am the most stoked to see what Knight brings to the table. Just imagine, 30 goals from Knight, 100 points from Seguin and 50+ points for Hamilton in their prime. In one swoop, Chia solidified the core of the Boston Bruins. Unreal! I guess I'll keep reminding myself of this when I get depressed about Chia not overspending on UFA's.

Any idea what his current height / weight is?
YUP, I thought it was pretty interesting/funny that Knight, Koko, and Spooner all came in at 5'10.5"....I'd heard they were taller but I can tell you that is how they were all measured by the Bruins. Knight weighed 203 lbs. That I know. Spooner was 180 pretty sure; and Koko never asked and was never told.

Other than being there and doing it I'd say I have it right

Old
07-04-2012, 09:51 AM
00BW

I found this interesting. The 2008 OHL priority draft which produced a lot of the NHL 2010 draft. Hall isn't here as he was drafted 2nd overall (behind Ryan O'Reilly) in the 2007 OHL draft. I believe Knight was taken so low because he was NTDP or college committed. Looks like each of the Boston drafted players gained 2 inches after this draft.

2008 OHL Priority Selection Results
(OHL Team, Player Name, Team Name, Pos, Hieght, Weight)
First Round
1. Sudbury Wolves, John McFarland, Jr, Canadiens, RC, 6.00, 190
2. Erie Otters, Gregg McKegg, Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs, LC, 6.00, 185
3. Owen Sound Attack, Steven Shipley, Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs, LC, 6.02, 205
4. Kingston Frontenacs, Erik Gudbranson, Ottawa Jr 67's, RD, 6.03, 190
5. Peterborough Petes, Ryan Spooner, Ottawa Senators, LC, 5.09, 160
6. Barrie Colts, Ryan O'Connor, Jr, Canadiens, RD, 5.09, 175
7. Ottawa 67's, Tyler Toffoli, Jr, Canadiens, RW, 5.11, 175
8. St, Michael's Majors, Devante Smith-Pelly, Jr, Canadiens, LC, 5.10, 175
9. Plymouth Whalers, Tyler Seguin, Toronto Young Nationals, RC, 5.11, 165
10. Saginaw Spirit, Brandon Saad, Pittsburgh Hornets Maj, Midget, LW, 6.01, 195
11. Sarnia Sting, Gregg Sutch, York Simcoe Express, RW, 6.01, 185
12. Guelph Storm, Cody McNaughton, Jr, Canadiens, RW, 5.09, 165
13. London Knights, Christian Thomas, Toronto Marlboros, RW, 5.09, 145
14. Niagara IceDogs, Freddie Hamilton, Toronto Marlboros, RC, 6.00, 175
15. Brampton Battalion, Sam Carrick, Toronto Red Wings, RC, 6.00, 165
16. Oshawa Generals, Kevin Bailie, Quinte Red Devils, G, 6.03, 185
17. Windsor Spitfires, Cam Fowler
18. Sault Ste, Marie Greyhounds, Brock Beukeboom, Central Ontario Wolves, RD, 6.01, 195
19. Belleville Bulls, Stephen Silas, Halton Hurricanes, LD, 6.00, 175
20. Kitchener Rangers, Jeff Skinner, Toronto Young Nationals, RW, 5.09, 175
Third Round
52. London Knights. Jared Knight, Detroit Compuware U16's, RC, 5.09, 170

2 questions:
1) Why did the Bruins draft overage and small Craig Cunningham in the 4th when Freddie Hamilton was still on the board into the 5th? He could have challenged for Kelly's 3rd line C over the next couple years.
2) Is McFarland still a highly regarded prospect or is he becoming a bust? 33rd NHL draft position was very high (coincidentally O'Reilly was also 33rd in '09) but he hasn't really played up to his potential.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Beesfan

Quote:

I think the major question is offensive creativity. That will determine if he ends up like Chuck Kobasew or Ryan Callahan.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:20 AM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00BW View Post
I found this interesting. The 2008 OHL priority draft which produced a lot of the NHL 2010 draft. Hall isn't here as he was drafted 2nd overall (behind Ryan O'Reilly) in the 2007 OHL draft. I believe Knight was taken so low because he was NTDP or college committed. Looks like each of the Boston drafted players gained 2 inches after this draft.

2008 OHL Priority Selection Results
(OHL Team, Player Name, Team Name, Pos, Hieght, Weight)
First Round
1. Sudbury Wolves, John McFarland, Jr, Canadiens, RC, 6.00, 190
2. Erie Otters, Gregg McKegg, Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs, LC, 6.00, 185
3. Owen Sound Attack, Steven Shipley, Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs, LC, 6.02, 205
4. Kingston Frontenacs, Erik Gudbranson, Ottawa Jr 67's, RD, 6.03, 190
5. Peterborough Petes, Ryan Spooner, Ottawa Senators, LC, 5.09, 160
6. Barrie Colts, Ryan O'Connor, Jr, Canadiens, RD, 5.09, 175
7. Ottawa 67's, Tyler Toffoli, Jr, Canadiens, RW, 5.11, 175
8. St, Michael's Majors, Devante Smith-Pelly, Jr, Canadiens, LC, 5.10, 175
9. Plymouth Whalers, Tyler Seguin, Toronto Young Nationals, RC, 5.11, 165
10. Saginaw Spirit, Brandon Saad, Pittsburgh Hornets Maj, Midget, LW, 6.01, 195
11. Sarnia Sting, Gregg Sutch, York Simcoe Express, RW, 6.01, 185
12. Guelph Storm, Cody McNaughton, Jr, Canadiens, RW, 5.09, 165
13. London Knights, Christian Thomas, Toronto Marlboros, RW, 5.09, 145
14. Niagara IceDogs, Freddie Hamilton, Toronto Marlboros, RC, 6.00, 175
15. Brampton Battalion, Sam Carrick, Toronto Red Wings, RC, 6.00, 165
16. Oshawa Generals, Kevin Bailie, Quinte Red Devils, G, 6.03, 185
17. Windsor Spitfires, Cam Fowler
18. Sault Ste, Marie Greyhounds, Brock Beukeboom, Central Ontario Wolves, RD, 6.01, 195
19. Belleville Bulls, Stephen Silas, Halton Hurricanes, LD, 6.00, 175
20. Kitchener Rangers, Jeff Skinner, Toronto Young Nationals, RW, 5.09, 175
Third Round
52. London Knights. Jared Knight, Detroit Compuware U16's, RC, 5.09, 170

2 questions:
1) Why did the Bruins draft overage and small Craig Cunningham in the 4th when Freddie Hamilton was still on the board into the 5th? He could have challenged for Kelly's 3rd line C over the next couple years.
2) Is McFarland still a highly regarded prospect or is he becoming a bust? 33rd NHL draft position was very high (coincidentally O'Reilly was also 33rd in '09) but he hasn't really played up to his potential.
The OHL Draft is insanely, insanely political. Basically if you're good enough, you can dictate where you play by playing the college commitment card. Knight did drop because of an NDTP commitment but the Knights paid a large sum to USA Hockey to get him out of it. Seguin fell to nine because he played the college card. Skinner fell to 20 because of the college card. Dougie Hamilton was a second rounder because he wasn't going to not play with his brother. You'll notice a lot of these kids that fall and end up actually coming to the OHL usually only go to a couple of teams. London, Kitchener and Windsor are at the very top right now with Plymouth and Niagara being the next tier. These teams have proven recent success and depending if you believe the rumours, deep pockets (OHL players only get like $150 every two weeks, everybody is supposed to get paid the same, plenty of rumblings teams like Kitchener and London have paid as high as six figures for certain players). The system is supposed to be as fair as possible, but it's incredibly corrupt, teams like Erie have it real hard. The draft is not a straight up entry draft by any stretch of the imagination, it's much more like the MLB Draft where teams have to worry about sign-ability issues.
As for Freddie Hamilton, a lot of teams passed on him, he did fall all the way to the fifth. Hard to blame the Bruins for letting one guy slip when everybody else did too, especially because there was no family connection with the organization to his brother at the time of the draft.
McFarland is a decent but not great prospect, great talent and a phenomenal skater but there's been a lot of questions about his character and his four year OHL career was rather underwhelming. If he ever puts it together he can play in the NHL, it doesn't look likely at this point.

Last edited by bruinsfan46: 07-05-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old
07-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Son of Donegal

Quote:
I think the major question is offensive creativity. That will determine if he ends up like Chuck Kobasew or Ryan Callahan.
Agreed. Also, Sweeney's comments on the difference between player size and defense in the OHL and the NHL resonate with me. When you consider Knight is already at 200+ lbs...he's probably stopped growing. So, I wonder if he can adjust his game to maintain physical dominance in the NHL.

It will be interesting to see where Jared is at 27 years old. I hope he puts a game together to get himself on the top-six, but would be happy to see him putting up 40pts on our 3rd line and working the penalty kill. I could see him being a shorthanded scoring threat year in, year out.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Donegal View Post
Agreed. Also, Sweeney's comments on the difference between player size and defense in the OHL and the NHL resonate with me. When you consider Knight is already at 200+ lbs...he's probably stopped growing. So, I wonder if he can adjust his game to maintain physical dominance in the NHL.

It will be interesting to see where Jared is at 27 years old. I hope he puts a game together to get himself on the top-six, but would be happy to see him putting up 40pts on our 3rd line and working the penalty kill. I could see him being a shorthanded scoring threat year in, year out.
Actually, Knight and Spooner would make a terrific penalty killing duo. Both have tremendous speed.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:02 PM
00BW

Quote:
The OHL Draft is insanely, insanely political. Basically if you're good enough, you can dictate where you play by playing the college commitment card. Knight did drop because of an NDTP commitment but the Knights paid a large sum to USA Hockey to get him out of it. Seguin fell to nine because he played the college card. Skinner fell to 20 because of the college card. Dougie Hamilton was a second rounder because he wasn't going to not play with his brother. You'll notice a lot of these kids that fall and end up actually coming to the OHL usually only go to a couple of teams. London, Kitchener and Windsor are at the very top right now with Plymouth and Niagara being the next tier. These teams have proven recent success and depending if you believe the rumours, deep pockets (OHL players only get like $150 every two weeks, everybody is supposed to get paid the same, plenty of rumblings teams like Kitchener and London have paid as high as six figures for certain players). The system is supposed to be as fair as possible, but it's incredibly corrupt, teams like Erie have it real hard. The draft is not a straight up entry draft by any stretch of the imagination, it's much more like the MLB Draft where teams have to worry about sign-ability issues.
As for Freddie Hamilton, a lot of teams passed on him, he did fall all the way to the fifth. Hard to blame the Bruins for letting one guy slip when everybody else did too, especially because there was no family connection with the organization to his brother at the time of the draft.
McFarland is a decent but not great prospect, great talent and a phenomenal skater but there's been a lot of questions about his character and his four year OHL career was rather underwhelming. If he ever puts it together he can play in the NHL, it doesn't look likely at this point.
Thanks for the background. Being in the US, I don't get much insight into the OHL/CHL.

I think I am just nitpicking. We won't know for another 5 years to see which players make it (Seguin excepted) and which don't but 2010 looks to be the first good draft since 2006 for the Bruins. How great would this draft look right now if they used that 4th on Freddie? You might have to go back to '79 to find a Bruins draft that good.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:11 PM
compan

I have been looking forward to both Knight and Spooner since we drafted them. Other than Dougie, I don't have a shade of the amount of care for anyone else for some reason. Knight is just a Bruin at heart it seems. If he pans out to be a Ryan Callahan, I couldn't be any happier. I have a good feeling one of those two will make the team.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:26 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

HC Spartak Moscow ‏@spartak_hc

Alexander Khokhlachev officially signed a deal with @spartak_hc He will wear jersey #89

How does it work with his entry contract with Bruins? Can he play KHL two or more seasons or only one?

Old
07-09-2012, 02:03 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
HC Spartak Moscow ‏@spartak_hc

Alexander Khokhlachev officially signed a deal with @spartak_hc He will wear jersey #89

How does it work with his entry contract with Bruins? Can he play KHL two or more seasons or only one?
His dad is the GM, we've heard all along it will be a one year contract and then he's back in the NHL/AHL.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:02 PM
twominute

Quote:
His dad is the GM, we've heard all along it will be a one year contract and then he's back in the NHL/AHL.
Doesn't answer the question. Since he signed a contract and won't report he will be suspended. Upon his return to the nhl he will be reinstated and his contract will start. It will not effect his years to free agency since he's suspended. I don't know how long before the newly signed contract is voided.

Old
07-09-2012, 09:08 PM
00BW

Entry Level slide since he does not turn 20 this year. No need to suspend his contract he just signed. I believe he actually gets his signing bonus but the 1st contract year and salary slide to next year. This is what happened to Knight and Spooner when they didn't make the team last year after signing and were returned to their OHL clubs.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-...ract-slide.php

Chia says it is only supposed to be a 1 yr contract with Spartak. Haven't seen details of KHL contract released but Koko seems to be a stand-up guy so it should only be 1 yr as promised.

Old
07-10-2012, 07:35 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Have the Bruins moved on from Nick Tremblay? Had a good senior season and looked decent for Providence in what I read playing on his ATO

Old
07-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Have the Bruins moved on from Nick Tremblay? Had a good senior season and looked decent for Providence in what I read playing on his ATO
I think he's getting his Masters degree

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/s...on-sunday.html

Last edited by Saxon Eric: 07-10-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: more info
Old
07-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post

He doesn't have a contract (CapGeek). Perhaps he will be in training camp.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:49 AM
agreen23

Quote:
I agree with this. Also, I think Knight's "bromance" with Spoons will help. When the play together in the A, I think Spoons will rub off on Knight and help him improve his hands and creativity.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:43 PM
KOHitter87

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen23 View Post
I agree with this. Also, I think Knight's "bromance" with Spoons will help. When the play together in the A, I think Spoons will rub off on Knight and help him improve his hands and creativity.
Knight already has better hands hes a pure shooter.

Closed Thread