HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Canucks Tried To Re-Sign Tanner Glass?

Old
07-03-2012, 12:30 PM
moog35

vCash: 500
The Canucks Tried To Re-Sign Tanner Glass?

In the province this morning there was a little article titled "Canucks can't crack Glass deal" where it said the Canucks tried to re-sign Glass to bolster the bottom 6 and provide some grit and toughness but he went to Pittsburgh instead

Why bring back Glass? by the end of his time here he was a liability and a punching bag, he wasn't physical at all in the playoffs and was far from a deterrent, i'm just confused as to why we would want to bring him back with so many other options out there

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:32 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
^ Didn't he start scoring a bit in WPG?

Maybe that is why, because he wasn't any good to us as an "enforcer" type.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

No.

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:35 PM
moog35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
^ Didn't he start scoring a bit in WPG?

Maybe that is why, because he wasn't any good to us as an "enforcer" type.
He had 5 goals and 16 points but he was also a -12 with 7 fights and didn't win any of them. He was hot to start the season then fizzled out down the stretch just like he did in his 2 seasons here

Old
07-03-2012, 12:37 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
^ Like I thought: Would not want.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:38 PM
moog35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post

No.
imagine if we lost that game 1-0 instead of winning 1-0. Glass is lucky we didn't loose

Old
07-03-2012, 12:38 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:

No.
LOL @ the "And another Vancouver defensemen, Sami Salo, is hurt."

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:41 PM
PRNuck

Uggh, this and I heard Friedman on the radio this morning said the Canucks offered a 1 year deal to Jokinen. MG scares me these days.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
I'm glad it never got past 'tried' - but either way (stealing this from another poster here): Bad Gillis, Bad!

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Cool Hand Goof*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Uggh, this and I heard Friedman on the radio this morning said the Canucks offered a 1 year deal to Jokinen. MG scares me these days.
I bet both deals were 1 year

Glass was a Meh. I'll forever be pissed they dressed him in a playoff game I went to instead of rypin.

Cool Hand Goof* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:47 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Don't worry, he's gone to Winnipeg.

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:49 PM
AvantiCanada*

I thought he was a good fourth liner who played a safe game. Very strong and hard on other players. A better skater than Bitz and more physical than Weise.

AvantiCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:19 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Glass wasn't the same after he suffered an abdominal injury in 2010-11 and sucked ass in the playoffs.

He picked up his game in WPG, though.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Tiranis

I find it amusing that people around here LOVE the moves Pittsburgh makes (Staal trade, etc.) when it's convenient but in cases like this nobody even notices that they not only signed Glass but won out because they offered him a bigger role than Gills did.

Quote:
Gillis said this morning that he doesn't know where those rumours came from and that they had no interest in Jokinen. He even went on to talk about how not every player fits on every team and they're looking for someone who can mesh with the team, which IMO was a bit of a jab at Jokinen's history of not fitting in into locker rooms.

Last edited by Tiranis: 07-03-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:12 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinka Dene View Post
I thought he was a good fourth liner who played a safe game. Very strong and hard on other players. A better skater than Bitz and more physical than Weise.
I didn't actually mind Glass, much as I didn't mind Rome. The problem with both was AV's overusage of them.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Orca Smash

vCash: 50
Someone needs to correct friedman, gillis was shocked really when he heard the jokinen thing, and thank god, usually when elliot mentions something i assume its true since hes not really a gossip guy insider, and i was quite worried when i heard it. And no i dont believe gillis was covering his tracks because he could not sign him, he was upfront about loosing schultz, and simply stunned with the jokinen question.

As for glass, I dont know what that is about, in the boston series, i thought he might step it up, but backed away any chance, i thought we let him go for a reason.

I want gillis to go for a real tough guy grinder, just one roster spot and a guy we can use should our stars need some protection.

I really think these are the times that will define gillis, I think he is very smart in trimming players recently, and not going after alot of scraps on the market, but then i hear about glass, and im also worried he may stand back, and just go with this roster we have or just sign more depth guys, I know there is a pay structure, and I dont want him to spend money stupidly, but we do have needs and I hope he will be aggressive in addressing them. It may mean taking a risk and spending a bit more especially for a true top 6 forward. I look at stacked teams already like pitsburgh and philly going after suter, parise, and Im not saying gillis should get in on those sweep stakes, i just wish he would be a bit more aggressive, and i hope he is if doan hits the market. Thats only my opinion however, and I really hope things work out for the team.

Last edited by Orca Smash: 07-03-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Orca Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:42 PM
CCF
This is the year....

Quote:

No.
This.

That moment sums up his game pretty well. Big no thanks to this one. I would have been livid if he came back.

CCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Didn't mind Glass when he was here. Serviceable fourth liner for the most part, solid defensively, and was able to hang in there with some fairly tough customers (curbstomping from Carkner notwithstanding). At a certain price (and if we didn't have a glut of bottom-sixers available) I'd have been happy to see him back. At $1.1m per year on a multi-year deal, however, Pittsburgh can have him.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:36 PM
JuniorNelson

Here is a theory that is far too advanced for the "Provincials", Gillis did a buddy a solid. Didn't he used to be an agent? I bet he knows how this stuff is done and can actually participate in subtle ways.

This is for all you great folk at the Province. Keep trying!

sub·tle/ˈsətl/
Adjective:
(esp. of a change or distinction) So delicate or precise as to be difficult to analyze or describe.
(of a mixture or effect) Delicately complex and understated.
Synonyms:
subtile - fine - delicate - nice - sharp

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:52 PM
hoodstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Gillis said this morning that he doesn't know where those rumours came from and that they had no interest in Jokinen. He even went on to talk about how not every player fits on every team and they're looking for someone who can mesh with the team, which IMO was a bit of a jab at Jokinen's history of not fitting in into locker rooms.
I think GMMG was referring to Jokinen's playing style as opposed to his personality. When Calgary fist acquired Jokinen, he was an elite center that did not have chemistry with Iginla. Why? It was likely because Jokinen was a shoot first center that did not complement Iginla's game, which involves a lot of shooting, very well. It doesn't seem too far fetched as we Canuck fans understand the frustration with Kesler's shoot first antics at times.

It could be a jab at Jokinen's character issues but aside from calling out Hodgson out, I don't think GMMG is the type of person who would try to create friction out of nothing.

hoodstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:05 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodstar View Post
I think GMMG was referring to Jokinen's playing style as opposed to his personality. When Calgary fist acquired Jokinen, he was an elite center that did not have chemistry with Iginla. Why? It was likely because Jokinen was a shoot first center that did not complement Iginla's game, which involves a lot of shooting, very well. It doesn't seem too far fetched as we Canuck fans understand the frustration with Kesler's shoot first antics at times.

It could be a jab at Jokinen's character issues but aside from calling out Hodgson out, I don't think GMMG is the type of person who would try to create friction out of nothing.
Jokinen seems to have settled down off ice over the years, I think it's more a playing style thing.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:37 PM
jigsaw99

He was the reason our bottom 6 was bad. He was USELESS for us in the playoffs. He is a poor mans Adam Burrish.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:56 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

I would have puked.

Gillis has never put together a good 4th line for the playoffs. Always a liability, never the best 4th line in a series. Looks like that won't be changing next year. I guess overplaying your top 9 and having a liability 4th line is money puck.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:59 PM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

Anybody recall that AV had the biggest boner for this guy?

I actually liked Glass during the regular season and for about the first two games of the PO's in the Chicago series. After that the guy was absolutely useless. Wasn't he injured for most of the run? Either way, his role on our team was to be an enforcer. Whether he was qualified for that role or not is another question.

Two things that would have changed the way he's viewed in Vancouver:

1. Buried that ridiculously crispy pass from Tanev in Game 5.

2. Jumped off the bench, rushed Marchand and smashed his little rat face into a plate of spaghetti.

The guy would be a legend here if his Ivy League ass could have handled those tasks.

CookieCrumbs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Karter

God no.

Misread the title. Almost had a heart attack.

Karter is offline   Reply With Quote