HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Around the NHL Part 5: FA Days of...Waiting on Parise/Suter

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 12:09 PM
HiddenInLight

vCash: 500
I'm hearing that Parise should be close....also that it's the Penguins, although Chicago offered him more then them recently, he probably wont break his verbal agreement with Pittsburgh....

Old
07-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Skelley

I've read a lot of discussion about us possibly pursuing semin. The general consensus seems to be that people would want him here (absent landing Ryan or Parise). While the offensive skillset is undeniable it seems like a lot of the other issues (work ethic, motivation, etc.) would be counterproductive to the direction most people around here want the team to go, ie. players with an undeniable work ethic and desire to win. Obviously we need offense wherever we can get it but while Derek Roy is more offensively gifted than Ott, I think we're all happy with the trade. Just seems to me that bringing in a player like Semin might get us more goals but hurt us in other areas. Just interested in what others think, I'll admit a lot of what I know about him is based on the "slacker" reputation.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Skelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I'm hearing that Parise should be close....also that it's the Penguins, although Chicago offered him more then them recently, he probably wont break his verbal agreement with Pittsburgh....
man, if he ends up in pitt that team is going to be even more ridiculously loaded...

Old
07-03-2012, 12:20 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Who are you hearing this from?

Old
07-03-2012, 12:28 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
You need hearing aids.

@russostrib talked to Zach Parise at MSP. He says he has not made a decision and he and his fiancée will talk today. "that has not started."

@russostrib Parise has no timetable, says is "so much more than the money. That plays a very small part in it."

Old
07-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Skelley

Quote:
@russostrib Parise has no timetable, says is "so much more than the money. That plays a very small part in it."
Well lets be honest, not that small a part lol

Old
07-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelley View Post
Well lets be honest, not that small a part lol
Money probably is a small part of it at this point. If he has three teams all offering him the same kind of money, that part of it probably makes little difference to him.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:35 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
You're not a reputable source, so knock it off.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Royisgone

I'm surprised it is taking this long for Parise to make up his mind, especially after he said on Sunday that a decision would be definitely made on Monday.

Come on man! Pick someone already so the deal making can resume!

Old
07-03-2012, 12:36 PM
joshjull

This is getting stupid now.

Its not like he is on a fact finding tour of these cities to gather info on them. He has how ever many offers from various teams. Other than New Jersey and Minnesota, where he grew up, he will be entering an unknown and thats not going to change talking with his fiance.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:40 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Lets face it. He's whipped! Not even married yet and he's asking his fiance for life decisions.

In all seriousness - Sure, its respectful to his fiance but if she's not a ***** she'll say, I'll support you where ever you choose to go. If she says anything other than that, I'd be moving on.

Gold Digger response: "Who's offering the most money?"

Old
07-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Honestly, if they're so worried about the those things, why didn't neither stay with their teams? If it's sooooooo hard to decide were to go.

Stop being *****es, sign with somebody and let's move on.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Skelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Money probably is a small part of it at this point. If he has three teams all offering him the same kind of money, that part of it probably makes little difference to him.
yea, i was speaking more generally, just kind of annoyed with the "breaking news: there is no news" at this point

Quote:

Its not like he is on a fact finding tour of these cities to gather info on them. He has how ever many offers from various teams. Other than New Jersey and Minnesota, where he grew up, he will be entering an unknown and thats not going to change talking with his fiance.
Agreed. I understand it's a big decision but its not like he didn't know this day was coming. What more could he possibly figure out that he doesnt know already?

Old
07-03-2012, 12:42 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

I took a lot longer to decide about an internal transfer position.

I can understand why Parise is taking his time with a huge decision like this.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:44 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelley View Post
Agreed. I understand it's a big decision but its not like he didn't know this day was coming. What more could he possibly figure out that he doesnt know already?
Perhaps he's gotten offers he didn't expect and that is making this tougher.

Perhaps he expected Brodeur leaving NJ and that would make his leaving NJ easier and since that didn't happen, he's having to think longer about leaving NJ.

There are a bunch of things that could have happened that are giving him pause.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:48 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Perhaps he's gotten offers he didn't expect and that is making this tougher.

Perhaps he expected Brodeur leaving NJ and that would make his leaving NJ easier and since that didn't happen, he's having to think longer about leaving NJ.

There are a bunch of things that could have happened that are giving him pause.
Or perhaps he is overhwelmed by the process and is now too scared to make a decision.

At the end of the day there will be pros and cons to the various places that offered him a contract. I get that its a tough decision. But he seems in over his head with this. Evidenced by the fact that he expected to make a decison by Monday and was at his agents office for the opening of free agency.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:58 PM
rkorchinski

Read a tweet from Suter's agent that pertains to Parise as well.

It basically said, "He is looking at somewhere for the next 13 years. He has the right to take a few days to make his decision".

He isn't doing this for publicity ala LeBron. He is making a life changing decision and trying to decide the best fit. I know we are getting antsy but give the guy a break.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:01 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkorchinski View Post
Read a tweet from Suter's agent that pertains to Parise as well.

It basically said, "He is looking at somewhere for the next 13 years. He has the right to take a few days to make his decision".

He isn't doing this for publicity ala LeBron. He is making a life changing decision and trying to decide the best fit. I know we are getting antsy but give the guy a break.
Meh, he's had over a month to think about it already. He knew just about every team would be after him, and it didn't take a genius to figure out who his best suitors were going to be.

I agree it's not about publicity, and I'm not begrudging the guy because he's taking his time, that doesn't mean I can't wish he'd hurry the hell up.

Last edited by HockeyH3aven: 07-03-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 01:05 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Or perhaps he is overhwelmed by the process and is now too scared to make a decision.

At the end of the day there will be pros and cons to the various places that offered him a contract. I get that its a tough decision. But he seems in over his head with this. Evidenced by the fact that he expected to make a decison by Monday and was at his agents office for the opening of free agency.
I doubt he's scared to sign a contract worth $80+ M.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:09 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I doubt he's scared to sign a contract worth $80+ M.

Give me a break if thats what you actually think I'm saying.

Scared as in worrying about what he might miss out on if he goes to city A instead of city B. Paralyzed with indecison would be a better way to phrase it.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
•A source close to the Rick Nash situation told ESPN.com Tuesday morning that there is still nothing imminent on the trade front. Of course, Parise still hadn’t signed yet either, which is the moment the Blue Jackets were waiting for to get the ball seriously going again on that front. The suitors, I think, remain the Rangers and Sharks and potentially the Hurricanes. Carolina is not on Nash’s "list," but the ‘Canes would love to get Nash and they’re hoping he’ll change his mind. If I’m Rick Nash, I give Carolina some thought. The 'Canes are a team on the rise with good young talent and, of course, the recent Jordan Staal acquisition.

•Once Parise signs, the Bobby Ryan trade talks should also heat up in Anaheim. He’s a cheaper contract to absorb than Nash, so the Ducks could really jam things up for Columbus. I still think the Flyers love Ryan. I think Anaheim wants to try and recoup a second-line center in any deal for Ryan.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...n-parise-suter

Old
07-03-2012, 01:16 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Give me a break if thats what you actually think I'm saying.

Scared as in worrying about what he might miss out on if he goes to city A instead of city B. Paralyzed with indecison would be a better way to phrase it.
Paralysis by analysis might be an issue. Parise talked about how his agent had done a ton of research.

Perhaps that is making things tougher and not easier because it's becoming a lot more complicated than he ever thought it would be.

Just as I understand why Doan wants to wait and see what happens with the Yotes ownership, I can also understand why Parise wants to take his time and not make a rash decision.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:24 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Paralysis by analysis might be an issue. Parise talked about how his agent had done a ton of research.

Perhaps that is making things tougher and not easier because it's becoming a lot more complicated than he ever thought it would be.

Just as I understand why Doan wants to wait and see what happens with the Yotes ownership, I can also understand why Parise wants to take his time and not make a rash decision.
Couple of points

1. The Doan situation is not remotely the same. He doesn't want to be a free agent and is waiting to find out if the sale of the team goes through so he can stay. He has no choice but to wait to find out how that works out.

2. I understand wanting to wait and not rush. But as I posted earlier, the basic facts of the teams that made offers isn't going to change. Unless Zack and his fiance visits each city for a few days (ala Mario Williams) to get a feel for them. His understanding of those cities can only go so far. Talking with his fiance and family for yet another day isn't going to shed new light on anything in that regard. At some point, very soon, all his talk is going enter the realm of diminishing returns.

3. I think the main issue with both Parise and Suter is they are likely overwhelmed by the interest in them.

4. I'm getting impatient and i want the market to open up. Can you imagine if the next wave of players waits like this to decide as well

Old
07-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Revelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Lets face it. He's whipped! Not even married yet and he's asking his fiance for life decisions.

In all seriousness - Sure, its respectful to his fiance but if she's not a ***** she'll say, I'll support you where ever you choose to go. If she says anything other than that, I'd be moving on.

Gold Digger response: "Who's offering the most money?"
Lol what? It's her life too.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
And we're closed.