HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shark games on TV

Old
07-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Eighth Fret

vCash: 500
Shark games on TV

So I'm in the process of looking to move to an in-law unit, but most places available seem to force you into using the same cable provider as the rest of the house. I've had Comcast for years and never had issues with Sharks games. My question to you all is about the availability of Sharks games on other providers, mainly U-Verse and DirecTV. Can you still get CSN and CSN Bay area as part of a basic package, or do you also have to purchase a league pass-type of package?

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
So I'm in the process of looking to move to an in-law unit, but most places available seem to force you into using the same cable provider the rest of the house uses. I've had Comcast for years and never had issues with Sharks games. My question to you all is about the availability of Sharks games on other providers, mainly U-Verse and DirecTV. Can you still get CSN and CSN Bay area as part of a basic package, or do you also have to purchase a league pass-type of package?
I am guessing you live in California somewhere? I live in WA state and have Directv, but I do need to get NHL Center Ice to get Sharks games unless they on NBC Sports (formerly VS).

I am guessing if the Sharks are a local team this would work differently.

07-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Eighth Fret

Sorry about that, you are correct. I'm in the Bay Area.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:28 PM
sharski

you can get CSNCA and CSNBA as part of DirecTV's "Choice" package, which is their 2nd cheapest one

if you want NBC Sports Network for more NHL games, then you have to get the Choice Xtra (the next-most expensive package above Choice)

if you want the NHL Network, then you have to get the Choice Ultimate (2nd most-expensive package on DirecTV)

they all come in HD

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Trl3789

I'm in the bay area with DirecTV, and a majority of the games are available on CSN Bay Area or california. I believe you get both of those starting with the "Choice" package, which is the second lowest tier of packages. I'm not 100% positive, but am pretty sure.

Edit:What he (^) said

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharski View Post
you can get CSNCA and CSNBA as part of DirecTV's "Choice" package, which is their 2nd cheapest one

if you want NBC Sports Network for more NHL games, then you have to get the Choice Xtra (the next-most expensive package above Choice)

if you want the NHL Network, then you have to get the Choice Ultimate (2nd most-expensive package on DirecTV)

they all come in HD
I have Choice Ultimate. Just so you know ..

If you know someone who has Directv already then use their Account# as a referral. Will them a free month too. And if you do not .. I will take one for the team and volunteer ..

Fistfullofbeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:41 PM
LunchPail

Quote:
My question to you all is about the availability of Sharks games on other providers, mainly U-Verse and DirecTV.
I'm curious about that as well. I have Comcast and am happy with everything except for the price, which seems to jump up every time they sneeze there. I'd switch with no worries except that I can't go without the Sharks and I worry about agreements between other providers and VS\NBC Sports Network...

LunchPail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunchPail View Post
I'm curious about that as well. I have Comcast and am happy with everything except for the price, which seems to jump up every time they sneeze there. I'd switch with no worries except that I can't go without the Sharks and I worry about agreements between other providers and VS\NBC Sports Network...
I don't know if this may have affected you, but starting July 1, they removed quite a few channels from the package I have -- FX, ABC Family, Hallmark, and more. Apparently they're moving these channels to another package that you'll have to pay extra $ for. That pissed me off.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:06 PM
sharski

Quote:
I don't know if this may have affected you, but starting July 1, they removed quite a few channels from the package I have -- FX, ABC Family, Hallmark, and more. Apparently they're moving these channels to another package that you'll have to pay extra $ for. That pissed me off.
Dish Network does that too... TV providers are becoming a total rip off

I have Dish Network, and they just took away AMC... what the hell, man

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:10 PM
LunchPail

Quote:
Apparently they're moving these channels to another package that you'll have to pay extra $ for. That pissed me off.
I think it will affect me, too, as I have F\X network and enjoy watching shows on that channel. One would think that, in these rough economic times, dropping rates (as other businesses have done) would be a good way to endear a company to their customers. However, Comcast seems to be running the opposite way, happily flaunting their power and not giving a crap if they piss off or lose customers...

LunchPail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Rude

It's not usually the cable providers that are at fault, it's the channels themselves. As they gain viewers, they eventually demand a higher rate from the provider per customer.

In fact, i'm amazed when i see channels attack their provider during negotations. It's like a single newspaper writer (of hundreds) demanding a raise, then being allowed to use his column to tell readers why they should pay a higher subscription rate.

Anyway, DirecTV (Choice) has always been great for Sharks games. I don't remember missing a single game last season! And if there's something screwy with their HD presentation, it automagically switches over to their SD feed (even for DVR recordings.)

As a bonus, you can even watch the NHL channel as part of the Sports Mix. Which is weird because that channel isn't even part of the Choice package. Granted... it's about in a box about three inches square, but still!

-Rude

Rude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Southlake

Haven't had any issues with Dish Network. Then again, we have a monstrous package to make sure we get every obscure channel for soccer matches... Not sure how large of a package you need to have to get CSN CA

Southlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Iron Chef

Just dont get AT&T uverse. They dont carry NHL network

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:18 PM
OffSydes
#tank2014

I have U-verse now and I'm moving at the end of the month and will switch to Comcast because of no NHL network on U-verse.

OffSydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:59 PM
SHARPENCAP

Send a message via AIM to SHARPENCAP Send a message via MSN to SHARPENCAP Send a message via Yahoo to SHARPENCAP
If your out and about say at a sports bar and they arent playing them on tv for some reason... I hate when that happens trust me! Well, anyways if you have an Android cell phone there's an app called Live Tv its free and normally hosts all kind of sporting events like hockey, sometimes baseball, baskerball, wrestling etc trust me It's worth getting. But that's if you want it on your cell phone but if you want it on tv than go with Comcast

SHARPENCAP is offline   Reply With Quote