HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Zach Parise: The Great Indecision (part 6)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
Because his agent wants to line his pockets and get everything he can out of the contract? Who knows.

I just think it makes too much sense and Sid would really have an idea of Parise's intentions. No pay raise for the next decade for the face of the league? There has to be a reason for that, and Sid knows why he did it.
He wears 87. He wanted 8.7m

It's a "magic number" hoodoo-voodoo thing.

Old
blankall

vCash: 500
Quote:
I still believe that Crosby didn't take a pay raise in signing his new deal because he spoke to Parise about coming to play in Pittsburgh. After all, they are pretty close friends.

Crosby didn't take a pay raise, Shero unloaded Staal's salary in the trade, he dumped Michalek's salary in the trade.....it's almost like this was known. The smiles from Bylsma during the interview at the draft...it's almost like they were very confident they would land him.

There's no doubt that Crosby and Parise talk, and talk a lot. I'm pretty sure they've discussed him playing his wing and therefore Sid signed a contract to allow room for Parise.

Again, this is all speculation, but even if it's close to being true, I can't see Parise going somewhere else after Sid didn't even take a pay raise to allow room for him. That, and the fact that Shero unloaded salary as well. Crosby hasn't had a high end winger since Hossa, and he made the sacrifice so that Shero could get him one. I'm sure Crosby had an idea of whether or not Parise was coming. If he wasn't coming, I'm sure he would have told Sid before he signed his contract.

I dunno, just my two cents.
Staal wasn't unloaded. They tried to sign him, made him a huge offer, and Staal turned it down to go play with his brother.

Crosby took a paycut, but he would have to do that generally to build a good team. Whether Parise was in the works or not.

Also, talking to Parise while he was still under contract with the Devils would have been tampering.

Old
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Because his agent wants to line his pockets and get everything he can out of the contract? Who knows.

I just think it makes too much sense and Sid would really have an idea of Parise's intentions. No pay raise for the next decade for the face of the league? There has to be a reason for that, and Sid knows why he did it.
In exchange for no raise he received 12 years of security. Pretty good for a player with his concussion history.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:45 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

These few days are nothing compared to Selanne's decision making process

Calm down..

Old
Mota

Quote:
I still believe that Crosby didn't take a pay raise in signing his new deal because he spoke to Parise about coming to play in Pittsburgh. After all, they are pretty close friends.

Crosby didn't take a pay raise, Shero unloaded Staal's salary in the trade, he dumped Michalek's salary in the trade.....it's almost like this was known. The smiles from Bylsma during the interview at the draft...it's almost like they were very confident they would land him.

There's no doubt that Crosby and Parise talk, and talk a lot. I'm pretty sure they've discussed him playing his wing and therefore Sid signed a contract to allow room for Parise.

Again, this is all speculation, but even if it's close to being true, I can't see Parise going somewhere else after Sid didn't even take a pay raise to allow room for him. That, and the fact that Shero unloaded salary as well. Crosby hasn't had a high end winger since Hossa, and he made the sacrifice so that Shero could get him one. I'm sure Crosby had an idea of whether or not Parise was coming. If he wasn't coming, I'm sure he would have told Sid before he signed his contract.

I dunno, just my two cents.
Assuming that's all true, the fact that he hasn't signed yet says something happened Sunday that he was not expecting. Based on reports, I would say he was leaning toward Pitt like you said, but then the Flyers came out of left field with offers for him and Suter in a whole different stratesphere then what the Pens offered him.

If you're Parise and you go into Sunday with a good idea that youre signing in Pitt for 10 years, around 75 mil...then another team offers you 30 more million...and that same team is willing to pay your buddy Suter the same amount, that has to stop and make you think...especially since Philly is close to where he lives now.

On top of that, your home town team also offers you a contract close to what the Flyers did, and now you have another option on the table.

I am just speculating, but that is kind of where I think this situation is. I think Holmgren made offer far above what Parise was expecting, and other teams (Minny, possibly CHI) have followed. Pitt, prob is unwilling to spend that much money for cap reasons and because it would look bad if they gave Parise more money than Crosby. My point is though, Pitt maybe where he wanted to go, but the offers from Philly and Minny have made themselves options now...for money and family reasons.

Old
whskybarJM

Quote:

yea, to at some point get a star player during the length of the contract. to say it is strictly over parise is ridiculous, just my two cents.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantaa FI75 View Post
These few days are nothing compared to Selanne's decision making process

Calm down..
Selanne didn't hold up the whole market.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Sonofjorg

Russo updated his blog with more quotes and such...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/161245225.html

Old
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharski View Post
i'm sure that was the idea, but just because Crosby & the Pens organization did all that to try to land Parise doesn't mean it's guaranteed or that Parise owes them anything... they did that all on their own free will

while I'm sure Parise appreciates the gesture, in the end regardless of what all the teams have done to bend over backwards for the chance to get him, he'll go to where he & his family want to play/live for the next decade, not because a friend decided to take a few million less... it's still business

that being said, I think he's choosing between Pittsburgh (championships), Philly (money) or Minnesota (loyalty to hometown and potentially being "the guy" who put a franchise on his back and made them a legit contender)

real tough decision
Being a friend of Crosby, I'm sure he had an idea of Parise's intentions and that it wasn't all done on free will. If it was, then good on Sid, it shows what a team player he is. 99% of the players out there would take some kind of raise, especially if you're the face of the league.

From all the reading I've done, I'm confident that it's between the Wild and Penguins.

Who wins? Who knows.

Old
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Selanne is also Teemu freaking Selanne.

Old
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharski View Post
that being said, I think he's choosing between Pittsburgh (championships), Philly (money) or Minnesota (loyalty to hometown and potentially being "the guy" who put a franchise on his back and made them a legit contender)

real tough decision
Why wouldn't he have a chance at championships in Philly? Is PIT so much closer to a Cup than Philly?

Old
07-03-2012, 01:49 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
If Parise is truly saying that money is only a small part of it..
then maybe LA still has a shot..

Actually I do think he is having a difficult time, there are some teams throwing big money at him. Depending on how those deals are structured, a contract like his could make it difficult for those teams to build for future success.

He can take less $$ and play for a team like the Kings who are contractually set up to keep most of the guys together for several years. Based on contracts I believe that even next year only Penner and Scuds are up.. All other guys are signed beyond that. Chemistry is a big part of the game. And this age of cap, its so rare for a cup winning team to be held together that long.

Okay so much for dreaming, I am guessing the Kings have their sights set Doan should he become available.
There is no doubt that LA is no longer on Parise's Radar. Now Doan with the royal crest on his chest does sound really nice!

Old
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by whskybarJM View Post
yea, to at some point get a star player during the length of the contract. to say it is strictly over parise is ridiculous, just my two cents.

Well they did offer Parise a 10 year contract. Which would mean playing with Sid the rest of his career pretty much.

Maybe it wasn't strictly over Parise, but with Parise and Crosby being tight, I certainly wouldn't eliminate the idea.

Old
W75
Wegistewed Usew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
That's not Parise's problem. That is market's problem.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:51 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Staal wasn't unloaded. They tried to sign him, made him a huge offer, and Staal turned it down to go play with his brother.

Crosby took a paycut, but he would have to do that generally to build a good team. Whether Parise was in the works or not.

Also, talking to Parise while he was still under contract with the Devils would have been tampering.
I didn't say the Pens were talking to him. I just said that I'm sure he talks to his friends (Crosby) about his potential plans. If they're as tight as everyone says they are, then I'm sure they've had discussions about playing together.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:51 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Well they did offer Parise a 10 year contract. Which would mean playing with Sid the rest of his career pretty much.

Maybe it wasn't strictly over Parise, but with Parise and Crosby being tight, I certainly wouldn't eliminate the idea.
There is no maybe. Sid did the $8.7 per gesture with the 12 years in mind. Dude wants to win.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:52 PM
BHoke23

Maybe Crosby took a paycut cause he knows he's one hit to the head away from retirement and didn't want to handcuff the Penguins too badly

Old
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Assuming that's all true, the fact that he hasn't signed yet says something happened Sunday that he was not expecting. Based on reports, I would say he was leaning toward Pitt like you said, but then the Flyers came out of left field with offers for him and Suter in a whole different stratesphere then what the Pens offered him.

If you're Parise and you go into Sunday with a good idea that youre signing in Pitt for 10 years, around 75 mil...then another team offers you 30 more million...and that same team is willing to pay your buddy Suter the same amount, that has to stop and make you think...especially since Philly is close to where he lives now.

On top of that, your home town team also offers you a contract close to what the Flyers did, and now you have another option on the table.

I am just speculating, but that is kind of where I think this situation is. I think Holmgren made offer far above what Parise was expecting, and other teams (Minny, possibly CHI) have followed. Pitt, prob is unwilling to spend that much money for cap reasons and because it would look bad if they gave Parise more money than Crosby. My point is though, Pitt maybe where he wanted to go, but the offers from Philly and Minny have made themselves options now...for money and family reasons.
This.

Old
mugs

Quote:
Again, this is all speculation, but even if it's close to being true, I can't see Parise going somewhere else after Sid didn't even take a pay raise to allow room for him.
If Crosby based his salary for the next 12 years on the expectation that Zach would come play with him, he must be pretty pissed at Zach's inability to make a decision.

In other words, that didn't happen.

Old
LombardiTool

I think Pariseis waiting for the real domino... Fabian Brunnstrom.

Old
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofjorg View Post
Russo updated his blog with more quotes and such...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/161245225.html
Weren't you around here yesterday. Mike Russo isn't credible

Old
07-03-2012, 01:53 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugs View Post
If Crosby based his salary for the next 12 years on the expectation that Zach would come play with him, he must be pretty pissed at Zach's inability to make a decision.

In other words, that didn't happen.
Possibly. I guess we'll know soon enough...or not soon enough.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:53 PM
hdtrax

He's earned his right to take his time and decide on what to do.

Still, hurry the **** up. We're getting tired of this story already.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
He wears 87. He wanted 8.7m

It's a "magic number" hoodoo-voodoo thing.
Magic number? Dont remember him having all these concussions before his cap hit first became 8.7 mil

Old
07-03-2012, 01:54 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:

Parise has been listed as being tight with someone on almost every team.

Closed Thread