HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season II

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 11:39 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

vCash: 500
It's definitely gonna be Penner on the second line.

I guess that means Gagne will be on the third line and King on the fourth?

Old
07-02-2012, 11:43 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
King is the perfect 3LW for us and he definitely brought some life to the line with Stoll and Lewis.

There just isn't room for Gagne imo, unless someone gets injured.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:45 PM
bobafettish*

yea kings do have a log jam on the wing, richardson should have been traded like yesterday.
nolan gets sent down, penner and gagne battle for the 2LW loser gets 4th line.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Reclamation Project
I Not Much Like LA

vCash: 592
Gagne isn't an extra skater. He should be on the fourth line. I realize that isn't a great fit but he would add offensive skill and veteran leadership to that line and wouldn't have to play heavy minutes.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:52 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
It wasn't that long ago when our weakest position was our LW. But with Brownie making the switch and the development of King, yeah, we're definitely overloaded.

Brown
Pens
King
Clifford
Richie
Gagne

These guys could all start for an nhl team imo.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
It wasn't that long ago when our weakest position was our LW. But with Brownie making the switch and the development of King, yeah, we're definitely overloaded.

Brown
Pens
King
Clifford
Richie
Gagne

These guys could all start for an nhl team imo.
Williams
Carter
Lewis
Nolan

I would tinker with the thought of moving Brown back to his right wing position...

Gagne - Kopi - Brown
Penner - Richards - Carter
King - Stoll - Williams
Clifford - Fraser - Lewis

Gagne is too good to be on the 4th line if healthy, and I'm torn between Clifford and Nolan but given I'm not sure how Nolan would play on LW I would give the Clifford the edge. Lewis is just too good on the PK to take out.

If you keep Brown at LW I would think it could look like:

Brown - Kopi - Williams
Gagne - Stoll - Lewis
King - Fraser - Nolan

I think I like the look of option 2 slightly better.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:41 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Williams
Carter
Lewis
Nolan

I would tinker with the thought of moving Brown back to his right wing position...

Gagne - Kopi - Brown
King - Stoll - Williams
Clifford - Fraser - Lewis

Gagne is too good to be on the 4th line if healthy, and I'm torn between Clifford and Nolan but given I'm not sure how Nolan would play on LW I would give the Clifford the edge. Lewis is just too good on the PK to take out.

If you keep Brown at LW I would think it could look like:

Brown - Kopi - Williams
Gagne - Stoll - Lewis
King - Fraser - Nolan

I think I like the look of option 2 slightly better.
No Terry stop it. That's the worst possible option LW Brown is day and night of a difference compared to RW brown.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:17 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

I know Brown is originally a RW but he played a lot better on the left side, and I hope the Kings keep him there. Sorry, but King moves down to the fourth line. Stolly can use Gagne's skill.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams

Penner-Richards-Carter

Gagne-Stoll-Lewis

King-Fraser-Nolan

Clifford/Richardson

Westy gets sent down?

Old
07-03-2012, 01:28 AM
SLang

I don't see Penner and Gagne as interchangeable on the second line LW. When Penner's at his best, he brings his size which opens things up for Carter and MR. Gagne just doesn't have it. That's not to say SG/MR/JC wouldn't make a good line - they would. Just not optimal....again, long as Penner's bringing his A game.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:32 AM
MollerManor

Stay the course. Keep Gagne on the 4th line. Move him accordingly if someone gets injured. Keeping him to limited play reduces his chances at another concussion and us losing him....

FOR-EV-ER.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:36 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
No Terry stop it. That's the worst possible option LW Brown is day and night of a difference compared to RW brown.
Sorry for throwing out a thought Dean.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:45 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollerManor View Post
Stay the course. Keep Gagne on the 4th line. Move him accordingly if someone gets injured. Keeping him to limited play reduces his chances at another concussion and us losing him....

FOR-EV-ER.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:17 AM
Inner Turbulence

Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
I know Brown is originally a RW but he played a lot better on the left side, and I hope the Kings keep him there. Sorry, but King moves down to the fourth line. Stolly can use Gagne's skill.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Penner-Richards-Carter
Gagne-Stoll-Lewis
King-Fraser-Nolan
Clifford/Richardson

Westy gets sent down?
I am not 100% convinced that Gagne fits with the team going forward. Maybe it is because his presence in the team was during the time of our struggles, and when he was injured things started picking up. I am not blaming him for the problems, but there is an overlap in the time.

But, I am good with this to start the season. I think the only things up for debate are the LW2-LW3-LW4. I think Penner is a good fit with Richards and Carter. He can use his size and strength to dig out the puck. He is a better bit than Gagne. The whole personality of the team was about aggressive forechecking and hounding the puck. Not sure Gagne is the man to do that.

Maybe King and Gagne could be switched around. I could see Nolan setting up Gagne a few times, and vice versa.

... and it gives me serious headaches thinking about what things would look like if the Kings add Parise or Doan. Good lord, what a lineup. On paper :-)

Old
07-03-2012, 07:13 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
That's the worst possible option LW Brown is day and night of a difference compared to RW brown.
His career best year (33 goals, 27a) came when he was playing RW.

He's equally effective on both sides.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:47 AM
DaAnimal

The way I see it, Penner will still be with Richards and Carter. As much as I would like to see the Flyers west line, I think it is a lot less riskier for gagne's sake. He's been banged up pretty hard throughout his career and his leadership on the fourth line should be a God send. I do however see Gagne being involved in the PP.

Brown - Kopitar - Williams
King - Stoll - Lewis
Gagne - Fraser - Clifford/Nolan

PP Unit #1
Brown - Kopitar - Carter
Doughty - Richards

PP Unit #2
Gagne - Stoll - Williams
Amart - VV

Thoughts about the #2 PP Unit?

Old
07-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
The way I see it, Penner will still be with Richards and Carter. As much as I would like to see the Flyers west line, I think it is a lot less riskier for gagne's sake. He's been banged up pretty hard throughout his career and his leadership on the fourth line should be a God send. I do however see Gagne being involved in the PP.

Brown - Kopitar - Williams
King - Stoll - Lewis
Gagne - Fraser - Clifford/Nolan

PP Unit #1
Brown - Kopitar - Carter
Doughty - Richards

PP Unit #2
Gagne - Stoll - Williams
Amart - VV

Thoughts about the #2 PP Unit?
Gagne will not be on the 4th line.

In a fully healthy lineup, he will be with Stoll and Lewis or Richards and Carter.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:16 AM
KingsFan7824

Gagne is not a throw away player. The 4th line in the last few games in the finals after 5 months out is one thing, the start of a new season is another. He's still being paid $3.5 million. If you have Gagne, you have to use Gagne. He's not going to be on a line centered by Fraser. Even a line centered by Stoll would be a maybe. To get the most out of Gagne, he has to be with Kopitar or Richards. If he gets hurt, then you deal with it then.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Remember guys, injuries will happen, Williams didn't get injured at all last year, so id be amazed if he did the same this year.

Gagne will play on the 3rd anyway, as much as a like King, he isn't in Gagne's league. A 4th line of King-Fraser-Clifford/Nolan is sick, and would get plenty of ice time, it would also allow a Gagne-Stoll-Lewis line to be used mostly as a shutdown line freeing up the top 2 lines.

Its a nice problem to be in mind, Stanley Cup Champs who have to many quality players that we can't fit them all in

Old
07-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Gagne is not a throw away player. The 4th line in the last few games in the finals after 5 months out is one thing, the start of a new season is another. He's still being paid $3.5 million. If you have Gagne, you have to use Gagne. He's not going to be on a line centered by Fraser. Even a line centered by Stoll would be a maybe. To get the most out of Gagne, he has to be with Kopitar or Richards. If he gets hurt, then you deal with it then.
I think Gagne could work well with Stoll and Lewis, they won't get as many tough assignments defensively like the Richards line will get. This should free up Gagne to use his speed and shot to improve the scoring on the third line.

This all depends on how hard Penner is willing to work in traning camp/pre-season to remain on the 2nd line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Remember guys, injuries will happen, Williams didn't get injured at all last year, so id be amazed if he did the same this year.

Gagne will play on the 3rd anyway, as much as a like King, he isn't in Gagne's league. A 4th line of King-Fraser-Clifford/Nolan is sick, and would get plenty of ice time, it would also allow a Gagne-Stoll-Lewis line to be used mostly as a shutdown line freeing up the top 2 lines.

Its a nice problem to be in mind, Stanley Cup Champs who have to many quality players that we can't fit them all in
I don't see any way that Sutter will not use Richards' line as the shutdown line. They will need to get most of their points on the PP. Not sure if we will see Richards on the point with the new assistant coach or not, but a healthy Kings team will have a lot of PP forwards available.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I might be alone on this but the thought of a Gagne-Stoll-Lewis line and their speed Is a good one. Lewis does the dirty work along the boards, Gagne feeds Stoll onetimers all day, Stoll hits 20+ goals again.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I might be alone on this but the thought of a Gagne-Stoll-Lewis line and their speed Is a good one. Lewis does the dirty work along the boards, Gagne feeds Stoll onetimers all day, Stoll hits 20+ goals again.
I would be happy with 35-40 goals from the third line next season. I don't think any of them will get to 20+ goals.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
can not compute

Old
07-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

I think the Kings could realistically hit 223 goals for next season, 2.72 per game. This will depend on the PP improving.

1st line: 70 goals
2nd line: 60 goals
3rd line: 35 goals
4th line: 15 goals

Defense: 43 goals

That should be enough to win the Pacific.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Johnny Utah

If the Kings really are in on Jagr, Selanne and Doan, 1 forward is being dealt and one back to Manchester for sure.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:48 PM
MollerManor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Making my words...

COME TO LIFE.

Closed Thread