HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers don’t expect to re-sign Prust (Signs with Habs 4yrs $10m)

Old
07-03-2012, 01:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
My god, you guys and that ****ing tweet. He wasn't happy with the management, and was essentially THANKING the fans for the support.

Get the **** over it.

Overpayment or not, I think we'd be better paying Prust 2.5 than signing Asham or Haley.

If you ask me, there hasn't been a good decision made this free-agency.
Absolutely not. Prust at 2.5 for 4 years is an albatross.

Prust got paid. I'm glad. I'm also glad we didn't pay him.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Absolutely not. Prust at 2.5 for 4 years is an albatross.

Prust got paid. I'm glad. I'm also glad we didn't pay him.
What about the 2M for 3? Would you have been fine with that?

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:31 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
What about the 2M for 3? Would you have been fine with that?
2M for 3 isn't an albatross but Prust doesn't deserve that money. I love Prust, rubbed the wrong way over the tweet but whatever, and wish him nothing but success (except Cup success...hate the Habs.) However, his season did NOT justify 2 million for 3, not even in the slightest. Hell, even his good season didn't justify 2 mil for 3. If he improved on that great season instead of declining, I'd be tempted...but he didn't.

We need to stop sinking so much money into our 4th line. Rupp alone makes too much.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:32 PM
OverTheCap

Ideally, a 4th line should be composed of cheap, effective players -- see the NJ Devils. The Rangers already have over $3 million tied up in Rupp and Boyle. They couldn't really afford to pay Prust $2.5 million. Even $2 million would have been too much.

Prust played a lot on the 3rd line here but his production for most of his career is consistent with a 4th liner. He got paid and good for him. But the Rangers did the right thing in not matching Montreal's offer.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
My god, you guys and that ****ing tweet. He wasn't happy with the management, and was essentially THANKING the fans for the support.

Get the **** over it.

Overpayment or not, I think we'd be better paying Prust 2.5 than signing Asham or Haley.

If you ask me, there hasn't been a good decision made this free-agency.
He wasn't thanking the fans, he was making a remark about management. If the guy wanted to be a Ranger he would've signed for 1.8 which was a generous offer. He clearly wanted to go to Canada from the start. I don't get why the guy is so beloved around here, he's a dime a dozen, and he isn't a Ranger anymore. Asham is an frankly for 1 mil per year, I'd take Two Asham's before Prust at 2.5 mil per. Awful awful contract. Prust isn't a Ranger anymore which is obvious he didn't want to be. Good Riddance.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
2M for 3 isn't an albatross but Prust doesn't deserve that money. I love Prust, rubbed the wrong way over the tweet but whatever, and wish him nothing but success (except Cup success...hate the Habs.) However, his season did NOT justify 2 million for 3, not even in the slightest. Hell, even his good season didn't justify 2 mil for 3. If he improved on that great season instead of declining, I'd be tempted...but he didn't.

We need to stop sinking so much money into our 4th line. Rupp alone makes too much.
I think without Rupp soaking up 1.5 (for what again?), we could afford to give Prust 2M. I'd have been happier trading Rupp to Montreal for peanuts and resigning Prust.

Offensively, he's not a producer, I agree. But to me, Pruster is an elite 4th line grinder. I know how silly that sounds, but all the jobs you'll ask of him, (hitting, blocking shots, fighting, killing penalties, defending teammates, offensive zone pressure) he'll do better than the next guy. Hockey wise, he's one of the better tough guys around.

Maybe I just like what he brought to the team. Other then Cally, if you asked me to describe the Rangers in a player, I was pointing at Prust. I'd have felt secure paying 2 Mil for that.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixon's Lunchbox View Post
He wasn't thanking the fans, he was making a remark about management. If the guy wanted to be a Ranger he would've signed for 1.8 which was a generous offer. He clearly wanted to go to Canada from the start. I don't get why the guy is so beloved around here, he's a dime a dozen, and he isn't a Ranger anymore. Asham is an frankly for 1 mil per year, I'd take Two Asham's before Prust at 2.5 mil per. Awful awful contract. Prust isn't a Ranger anymore which is obvious he didn't want to be. Good Riddance.
So the words "Thanks for the love everyone" don't appear in his tweet?

And my opinion of a player doesn't immediately change when they pull on a new sweater.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:45 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:

And my opinion of a player doesn't immediately change when they pull on a new sweater.
It should when that new sweater doesn't have Rangers written on the front.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:

Which he said after saying, I wish management wanted me back as much as the fans. Ah so his thanking was so heartfelt, maybe he should take his own advice and think maybe he should've wanted to be back as much as the fans wanted him back. He doesn't wear the uniform anymore, and frankly he hasnt done anything memorable in his short stint here to be crying over the loss.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Which he said after saying, I wish management wanted me back as much as the fans. Ah so his thanking was so heartfelt, maybe he should take his own advice and think maybe he should've wanted to be back as much as the fans wanted him back. He doesn't wear the uniform anymore, and frankly he hasnt done anything memorable in his short stint here to be crying over the loss.
i wonder how many fans will boo Prust when the Habs come to MSG

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
He's not playing for my team, so I don't like him? Sorry, but that's insane troll logic, and it's a wonder it still exists in sports culture.

Fact is, Prust plays the game right. He threw his body in front of every shot he could and at everybody he could. That doesn't change just because he's doing it for another team.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Does this change if I remind you of him rearranging Rinaldo's face?

Old
07-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i wonder how many fans will boo Prust when the Habs come to MSG
If he fights Asham, I'll be cheering for Pruster all day.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Crease

Quote:
Holy overgeneralization.

Did you start disliking Leetch after he was traded away?

How about Graves, when he signed with San Jose?

Prust was a good soldier, worked his ass off for the team, and got paid. End of story. It's sports -- these guys are entertainers. No need to villainize everyone not playing for the Rangers.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:08 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
If he fights Asham, I'll be cheering for Pruster all day.
I don't understand this, though. Prust isn't a Ranger. Cheering on a player to do something that negatively effects your team?

I despise Asham, but cheering on a player on another team doesn't make any sense. -

Old
07-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
I don't understand this, though. Prust isn't a Ranger. Cheering on a player to do something that negatively effects your team?

I despise Asham, but cheering on a player on another team doesn't make any sense. -
There are fights where I want whoever is in a Rangers sweater to win, and then there are fights where I've been watching the combatants for years, have a sense of how they play and conduct themselves.

This isn't Stu Bickel fighting someone we've never heard of from outwest. I've hated Asham for FAR too long to simply say "but now he's pulling ******** dirty underhanded injury attempts for MY team, so it's ok"

Prust and Asham, two players who have inspired and disgusted me (respectively) drop the gloves, and to me, it's not about the teams at that point. I sure as hell hope Prust gets an instigator though (not that a powerplay would help us).

Remember when Cally fought Cooke (I think in '09)? The game was awful, and things got chippy. I forgot what caused it, but a (then very young) Callahan decided to fight the older and more experienced Cooke. Sure, we all liked watching Cally punch him in the face because it was a Ranger fighting a Penguin, but that, to me at least, didn't mean as much as the identities of the two players in the fight.

...it's possible I overthink things like this.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:51 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Still a bit sad about he didnīt took the 3 year offer from us and now will play for the Habs.

Anyway, wish Brandon all the best and thanks for his time here and what he brought each game!!

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:56 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Holy overgeneralization.

Did you start disliking Leetch after he was traded away?

How about Graves, when he signed with San Jose?

Prust was a good soldier, worked his ass off for the team, and got paid. End of story. It's sports -- these guys are entertainers. No need to villainize everyone not playing for the Rangers.
Holy terrible post.

Comparing Prust to guys like Graves and Leetch?

Prust is on the level of Colton Orr leaving, let's be honest. Did I give one **** about Orr when he left? No.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:58 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
He's not playing for my team, so I don't like him? Sorry, but that's insane troll logic, and it's a wonder it still exists in sports culture.

Fact is, Prust plays the game right. He threw his body in front of every shot he could and at everybody he could. That doesn't change just because he's doing it for another team.
Troll logic?

Sorry if I don't root for players not playing for my team. Do I wish bad things for Prust? No. Do I have any ****s to give about how he does there? Answer's still no.

I'm not the guy who says he'd root for another player to beat up one of our guys in a game.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I happen to think that a hockey fan can like a player even though they don't like the team they play for. Prust had every right to make the decision he did. It works for him. I won't stop watching and hoping he plays well, just because the name on the jersey doesn't say Rangers. Will I root for him to score the winning goal in a game against the Rangers? Well, duh, no.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Troll logic?

Sorry if I don't root for players not playing for my team. Do I wish bad things for Prust? No. Do I have any ****s to give about how he does there? Answer's still no.

I'm not the guy who says he'd root for another player to beat up one of our guys in a game.
Well, see, there's the difference. I care. Prust did a damn good job, an endeared himself to me with his play.

Additionally, I couldn't care less about contracts. As it stands to me, Prust will always be more of a Ranger than Asham.

Some of us root for players not simply because we want to see a Rangers sweater win. Personally, I want to see certain players win. The ones who work hard, play the game right, deserve it. It's why I was so thrilled to see a Rangers team with the right mentality, a team I wanted to see win for the names on the back as much as the names on the front. We booted Avery, Wolski, Rozi, EC, all the players who didn't fit our idea of a hockey team.

I think we took a step backwards.

Last edited by Callagraves: 07-03-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Edge

Quote:
Frankly you and Lito sound like you hate the guy more than his fans "love him."

It's almost over the top to be honest with you.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Crease

Quote:
Holy terrible post.

Comparing Prust to guys like Graves and Leetch?

Prust is on the level of Colton Orr leaving, let's be honest. Did I give one **** about Orr when he left? No.
Who's comparing Prust to Graves and Leetch? You made a blanket statement saying the opinion of the player should immediately change when they no longer wear a Rangers sweater. I brought up Leetch and Graves to show how ridiculous that statement was.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:06 AM
robwrx04

Depressing

robwrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:11 AM
Mrpuck

Some of you guys are ridiculous, maybe you're all upset because you purchased a Prust jersey.

Fact is the guy was a 4th liner, and regardless if he is better then Rupp or Asham he wanted over 2mil. a year. You don't build a hockey team this way. People think it's "oh just another 600k pay him!"
You keep saying that for each guy that comes up for a new contract, before you know it you wasted away 6mil or so.
You can get what he brought to the team for 1mil less a year.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote