HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Predators Off-Season 2012 Thread - Part II

Old
07-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Doubt he plays a game for the NHL squad. I could maybe see him staying with the Preds as our #7 defenseman most of the year so we can give Ekholm and/or Blum top line minutes in the AHL, but I doubt it. I see more Tyler Sloan than Jack Hillen.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:25 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Played for the Sharks AHL affiliate last year. Likely a replacement for Scott Ford for the Admirals.
Got ya. Thanks.

As soon as I asked, it got posted:

Quote:
Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has signed free agent defenseman Mike Moore to a one-year, two-way contract worth $550,000 at the NHL level and $105,000 at the AHL level.

Moore, 27 (12/12/84), has spent that past four seasons in the San Jose organization, posting 20 points (4g-16a) and 85 penalty minutes in 62 games with its AHL affiliate, the Worchester Sharks, in 2011-12. In 254 career AHL games, the Calgary, Alta., native has 72 points (14g-58a) and 365 penalty minutes since 2008. The former captain of both Worchester (2010-11) and Princeton University during his senior season (2007-08) has also appeared in six NHL games with the Sharks in 2010-11, notching a goal and seven penalty minutes.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:27 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Cooper just tweeted it's eerily silent from all parties in Suter Watch. NHL writer for the Star-Tribune in Minneapolis just talked to Parise and said he hasn't made a decision and will talk with his fiance and says it involves so much more than money. That plays a very small part in it.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:29 PM
JR303

Surely I can't be the only one that feels like an enormous ******-bag for letting this take up so much of my time.

The power that Parise/Suter are holding over the vast majority of the rest of the league is silly and ridiculous.

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:57 PM
NoNecksCurse

if you think suter is staying in nashville, i feel sorry for you. hopefully this is done soon so the offseason can start.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR303 View Post
Surely I can't be the only one that feels like an enormous ******-bag for letting this take up so much of my time.

The power that Parise/Suter are holding over the vast majority of the rest of the league is silly and ridiculous.
I just keep Darren Dreger's Twitter up on one of my tabs: https://twitter.com/#!/DarrenDreger

Between Dreger and Bob McKenzie, you will catch pretty much any NHL news of any consequence within 5 minutes of it happening.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
if you think suter is staying in nashville, i feel sorry for you. hopefully this is done soon so the offseason can start.
Hopefully that NNC reverse-psychology negativism comes into play. Half the time you say in a GDT that you're turning the game off, we score in the next five minutes haha.

I'll consider Suter signing anywhere but DET a victory.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:06 PM
LongTooth

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post

Even if he signs in Chicago?

LongTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:06 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Hopefully that NNC reverse-psychology negativism comes into play. Half the time you say in a GDT that you're turning the game off, we score in the next five minutes haha.

I'd love to keep him obviously, but if he goes anywhere but Detroit I think I'll be OK. Some of their fans I know are insufferable as it is...

Of course, if he goes to Minnesota and cites Nashville's inability to pay for a solid team in the past as a reason for leaving I'll call him an idiot, because going to the team owned by the guy who was an utter failure here and gutted the team while citing an inability to maintain a quality roster would be ****ing stupid.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTooth View Post
Even if he signs in Chicago?
Preferably not CHI, but I consider them somewhat of a longshot. Seabrook / Keith are a pretty elite pairing; I don't doubt that Suter would usurp Seab's spot if signed, but disrupting established chemistry is a bit of a gamble. From what I've read, it sounds like DET, MIN, and NSH; could easily be wrong, but I'm hoping he goes to MIN if he doesn't come back to us.

And I'd love him to come back, but if you have no expectations, you can't be disappointed haha. If Poile pulls it off though, I'll refrain from bashing him even if he doesn't make any other major moves this offseason. Signing Suter makes signing Weber infinitely more plausible. As it is, if Suter rolls, I think you have to seriously consider trading Weber this offseason as much as it kills me to say it. With our current roster minus Suter, I think it's very likely we finish somewhere in the #7-10 territory at the end of the season; might make sense to offload Weber for a haul to Philly or a similar team and look to the future.

That said, I'm glad I'm not a GM; tough decision no matter how you slice it.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:31 PM
LongTooth

Quote:
And I'd love him to come back, but if you have no expectations, you can't be disappointed haha. If Poile pulls it off though, I'll refrain from bashing him even if he doesn't make any other major moves this offseason. Signing Suter makes signing Weber infinitely more plausible. As it is, if Suter rolls, I think you have to seriously consider trading Weber this offseason as much as it kills me to say it. With our current roster minus Suter, I think it's very likely we finish somewhere in the #7-10 territory at the end of the season; might make sense to offload Weber for a haul to Philly or a similar team and look to the future.

That said, I'm glad I'm not a GM; tough decision no matter how you slice it.

I would have moved him at the last trading deadline. Or at least said, "sign now or I'm moving you at the trading deadline". I'm moving Josi up to his spot and then getting scoring help and working on Weber's deal. Then this season when it's Weber's turn, I do the same thing with him, "sign or I'm moving you at the trading deadline".

Old
07-03-2012, 01:33 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
I would have moved him at the last trading deadline. Or at least said, "sign now or I'm moving you at the trading deadline". I'm moving Josi up to his spot and then getting scoring help and working on Weber's deal. Then this season when it's Weber's turn, I do the same thing with him, "sign or I'm moving you at the trading deadline".
Only problem with that is we had no idea what we had in Josi. And you have to trade Weber in the offseason to maximize the return. You can't wait til the deadline. If Suter is gone, Weber will not be here in the fall unless plan B has us acquiring another PMD defenseman to pair with Weber.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:33 PM
LongTooth

We can't keep giving these guys away for nothing. There's no way you should lose Hamhuis, Suter, and Weber with nothing in return.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:38 PM
LongTooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Only problem with that is we had no idea what we had in Josi. And you have to trade Weber in the offseason to maximize the return. You can't wait til the deadline. If Suter is gone, Weber will not be here in the fall unless plan B has us acquiring another PMD defenseman to pair with Weber.
I think we all knew Hamhuis didn't want to be here. We agreed to let him stay through the end of the season instead of trading him at the deadline (we are sometimes too nice). This scenario could easily play out the same way for Suter and Weber.
Maybe not as much with Hamhuis, but with Suter this past season and with Weber next season, you will still get a very good return at the deadline. Or they could accept the ultimatum and sign.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:40 PM
LongTooth

Quote:
Maybe not as much with Hamhuis, but with Suter this past season and with Weber next season, you will still get a very good return at the deadline. Or they could accept the ultimatum and sign.
At least you'd know one way or the other and we wouldn't be held hostage!

Old
07-03-2012, 01:42 PM
LongTooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Only problem with that is we had no idea what we had in Josi.
Oh, we knew what we had in Josi halfway through the season. I heard Brent Peterson all giddy on the radio a number of times talking about Josi.

Old
07-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Legionnaire11

as good as the Preds looked at the deadline it would have been silly to move Suter then. If it was going to happen, it should have happened last summer. Weber's contract situation last summer should have sent up red flags that these two weren't going to go as well as planned.

When Weber's deal went snafu, Poile should have made a great offer to Suter and if he didn't accept, go ahead and move him. Then work on Weber this summer.

Of course, I think dealing Weber makes more sense because you're going to get a better package for him. Suter will net a useful return, but nothing like the one-day rebuild that Weber could fetch. So trading him at all isn't necessarily the best move. It just really sucks that we likely get nothing at all from him, at least he could give Poile more indication earlier so Poile can go hard on a contract with him or try to move his rights for a pick.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:04 PM
LongTooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
as good as the Preds looked at the deadline it would have been silly to move Suter then. If it was going to happen, it should have happened last summer. Weber's contract situation last summer should have sent up red flags that these two weren't going to go as well as planned.
We thought the same thing the season before with Hamhuis, we are playing too good to mess that up. Now we have possibly done it again this season. Should we do it again next season too? I do see your point, but I still would have made the deadline ultimatum to them.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
We thought the same thing the season before with Hamhuis, we are playing too good to mess that up. Now we have possibly done it again this season. Should we do it again next season too? I do see your point, but I still would have made the deadline ultimatum to them.
No I don't think we should do it again this summer either. Weber needs to be signed long-term or traded, a one year deal does nothing for us.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Suter should not have been traded because we had a shot at the cup.

If we lose Suter, Rads, and AK, and only add Chris Mason, Weber should be traded because we don't have a shot at the cup.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:12 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

If we lose Suter it's not because of money it's because he dosn't believe in Trotz's system, IMHO.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:20 PM
LongTooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
If we lose Suter it's not because of money it's because he dosn't believe in Trotz's system, IMHO.
I just think it would be because he wants to be closer to his family in Wisconsin. I think they'd like him to be in Chicago. It's probably what is making this so hard for him. I think he truly does like the organization and the city. It's just a locale thing.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Suter should not have been traded because we had a shot at the cup.

If we lose Suter, Rads, and AK, and only add Chris Mason, Weber should be traded because we don't have a shot at the cup.
At the deadline we had a shot, but last summer it looked like a huge mess going into the season. If Poile thought then that Suter's contract would be an issue and/or that we would lose him for nothing, that was the time to trade him.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:29 PM
LongTooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
At the deadline we had a shot, but last summer it looked like a huge mess going into the season. If Poile thought then that Suter's contract would be an issue and/or that we would lose him for nothing, that was the time to trade him.
I didn't have a problem with turning the tables on him and using his services up until that point. I think we could have gotten a very good return on him at the deadline. And who knows, it might have actually forced his hand and he might have signed. But again, I do see your point too!

I know Hamhuis, and maybe now Suter and Weber might be taking advantage of the kindness of the organization. Just by saying, "oh I love it here, I don't want to leave, don't trade me to a place I don't want to go...", and then they up and leave us with nothing or very little in return.

I think it might be time to break that cycle.

Last edited by LongTooth: 07-03-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 03:50 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib

I've been told that if the Pens do acquire Ryan Suter, look for Paul Martin to be traded to Nashville.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote