HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers re-sign Stu Bickel (2 years @ $750k per)

Old
07-01-2012, 04:27 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

vCash: 500
Happy for the guy. He deserves it. He played well in the regular season. He plays hard and plays for his teammates. Hopefully with some more work, he could become a viable 3rd pairing player. He's a good 7th at this point in time and can play some wing and is tough as nails.

A good story this season that continues to next season. High character guy as well. That can't be understated.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:52 PM
eco's bones

Want this guy to get a goal. He came close a number of times.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Want this guy to get a goal. He came close a number of times.
Has an underrated shot in my opinion. Actually manages to hit the net with frequency unlike the rest of our blue liners. Has even rung up a few posts

Stu deserves a contract not only for his solid play but that epic save he had against Ottawa in Game 3 IIRC.

07-01-2012, 08:56 PM
ak10r
HFBoards Sponsor

It’s worth the 750K just so I can yell STUUUUUUUU at my TV….

And let’s not forget he is also a fill in center…..

Good deal…..

ak10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:01 PM
benneyb

Love this signing. IMO Stu does not get the credit he deserves. He's a solid 7th Dman right now, who may improve. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes, contrary to what some say. He knows his limitations and works well within them.

benneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:12 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Bickel sucks but I guess he cant play any worse. Just keep him off the ice until the Rangers have at least a 3-goal lead.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:15 PM
mcsauer2738

Love this signing for a few reasons.

1) He's tough as nails and gives it 110% at all times, that stuff rubs off on teamates.

2) He's flexible and can be both a 13th forward/7th defenseman.

3) Of course he's a crease clearing tough servicable 6th dman and he plays on the right side which we're definitely lacking.

4) His name is Stu

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Fine with me but if you're going to pay him don't sit him on the bench for 58 minutes a game.
There's a simple solution for that issue: find better defensemen to play on the 3rd pair (and have a useable spare) and send Bickel to the minors. If Bickel is still on the team when the season opens, that's going to be an indication that the off-season didn't go well.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:21 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I'm sure injuries will come up and this signing will be huge, especially considering we're thin at RD as it is

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:27 AM
NYR Viper

Another underrated signing by Sather. People only look for the bid signing but these are the types of deals that help teams win over the long haul. His teammates loved him, he can play #6 d or 12th forward, he will drop the gloves and he is improving. I called him the next Jason Strudwick (which I still firmly cling to).

Great signing for Sather in this market. Tough-as-nails, will skate through a wall to win.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:38 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
There's a simple solution for that issue: find better defensemen to play on the 3rd pair (and have a useable spare) and send Bickel to the minors. If Bickel is still on the team when the season opens, that's going to be an indication that the off-season didn't go well.
Depends. If we need him to play every night then that means we still have a hole on defense to plug. But as a 7th defenseman, who gets a game in once a week so that a regular can rest up or take care of a nagging injury? I think he's suited perfectly well for that role.

People only remember the playoffs, but he was logging 10 minutes a game for a decent chunk of the year while playing competently, which is about all you can ask of a 7th D.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Vitto79

bright side is Carkner got double what Bickel got and they are basically in the same role. I dont mind Bickel as a cheap 7th Dman but that's all he should be on this team

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:42 AM
NYR Viper

He is only 25. He should improve. Asking him to play 12-14 minutes a night is not out of the realm of possibility and he adds a dimension the defense lacks. Let him play up until the deadline and then add a d-man for a pick/prospect.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:28 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

im so pumped i couldnt sleep on this signing

i do like him tho

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Another underrated signing by Sather. People only look for the bid signing but these are the types of deals that help teams win over the long haul. His teammates loved him, he can play #6 d or 12th forward, he will drop the gloves and he is improving. I called him the next Jason Strudwick (which I still firmly cling to).

Great signing for Sather in this market. Tough-as-nails, will skate through a wall to win.
I like this as well. Whereas you call him Strudwick, I refer to him as a younger Jay Wells. Bickel does the job of a # 6 defenseman. He is only 25 can has room to grow.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:02 PM
In Disgust

no qualms with this signing as long as bickel remains a 7th dman. We need all the depth we can get. and now that we missed out on Schultz and Garrison, it looks slim as to what we can do with our blue line.

mcd-girardi
Staal-mdz
erixon?-???

emminger/bickel

dangerously shallow, no matter how great those 2 first lines are.

In Disgust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:58 PM
haveandare

Everyone saying he's got to be a 7th - he could be better this year. You don't relegate players to 7th D, 13th F based on what they did last year. If he comes to camp a better, stronger, more dependable player, he can and should be on the third pairing night in and night out.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

Stu Bickel rules and I hope that Dylan McIlrath grows up to have a great hockey name like him.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Everyone saying he's got to be a 7th - he could be better this year. You don't relegate players to 7th D, 13th F based on what they did last year. If he comes to camp a better, stronger, more dependable player, he can and should be on the third pairing night in and night out.
You don't give a marginal player a spot in the lineup. Especially one as inconstant as Bickel was (during the season--he shouldn't have been on the roster for the playoffs). He has to come to camp and play even better than the best he played all year to gain a spot. Just because he plays the right side and drops the gloves (which is not really the best thing night in and night out for a defenseman to do) is not enough to pencil him into the lineup.

I don't see the "potential" you see in Bickel. I see a player who played over his head last year because his coach pushed all the right buttons and limited his playing time in places where he would hurt the team. He might be good insurance, but I don't want him in the lineup on a regular basis and very honestly I would rather see him in Hartford for the majority of the season.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:24 PM
NYRKindms

Do people not remember essentially the entire season where bickel helped this club almost win the presidents trophy

Sure he was on ice for some goals against in the playoffs but We don't get there with out him

Have you all forgotten him making that HUGE save in the crease to keep us alive ?

The guy had a rough 1st playoffs in the NHL he isn't the first and definitely not the only one on the team.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:48 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Welcome back Stu

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
Do people not remember essentially the entire season where bickel helped this club almost win the presidents trophy

Sure he was on ice for some goals against in the playoffs but We don't get there with out him

Have you all forgotten him making that HUGE save in the crease to keep us alive ?

The guy had a rough 1st playoffs in the NHL he isn't the first and definitely not the only one on the team.
Still one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Stu ****ing Bickel had to post bail for Henrik Lundqvist. Mind blowing.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:00 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Still one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Stu ****ing Bickel had to post bail for Henrik Lundqvist. Mind blowing.

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:37 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Happy for the guy. He deserves it. He played well in the regular season. He plays hard and plays for his teammates. Hopefully with some more work, he could become a viable 3rd pairing player. He's a good 7th at this point in time and can play some wing and is tough as nails.

A good story this season that continues to next season. High character guy as well. That can't be understated.
I agree with you 100%...hes a good 3rd pairing guy now,IMO....

Congrats Bickel!

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

He's been relatively popular on Twitter it seems as well.

Also firing shots at Haggy.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote