HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Edmonton and Boston looking at a potential deal?

Old
07-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Colt.45Orr

vCash: 500
Edmonton and Boston looking at a potential deal?

Mods can PM me if you need to check my credit --but I think if you give this a day or two you will start to hear that this could be out there (not sure if it is present or past tense --I could be a little late to the party). I'm not sure if this has been talked about at the GM level or just at the lower scouting levels. Anyway, the main parts would be based around:

Hemsky
and
Boychuk*

*Does Thomas go along for the ride to Alberta?

Interesting because:

1) It would indicate the B's are ready to roll with Hamilton in as the RH shot to replace Boychuk.
2) Hemsky and Krejci have insane chemistry potential, kind of like a higher-end version of Krejci-Satan --could be the PP fix too.
3) Boychuk is actually an Edmonton native and they want to build a culture of guys wanting to stay there.

edit: I'm on vacation, so I won't be able to get to pm if you don't get me right away.

Colt.45Orr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Colt.45Orr

Colt.45Orr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
why would the Bruins want another oft-injured player?

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:57 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Mantruck has a full NTC and he just signed the deal so unless he really wants out I can't see it...

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Trap Jesus

Don't think Hemsky would fit here. And we're too thin on D for that.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Braunbaer
Braunbär

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Mantruck has a full NTC and he just signed the deal so unless he really wants out I can't see it...
Well, he is from Edmonton, so who knows ...?

I'd love that deal. Hemsky looked strong some weeks ago. First summer for a long time during which he didn't require any surgery.

HE could solve our PP.

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:06 PM
NiKrejci

The deal seems kind of counter-productive in my opinion. Boychuk is this team's third best defensemen(behind Chara and Seids) and there's no way of knowing if Hamilton can fill his shoes yet. Also, Hemsky is making 5 million a year I believe and he's very injury prone. I don't see Chia taking that kind of risk on hoping he has chemistry with Krejci. Also, why would Edmonton want Thomas if he's not going to play this year? Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

NiKrejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:13 PM
BruinsPortugal

Thats nice and all but who plays defense then? Claude?

BruinsPortugal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:15 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsPortugal View Post
Thats nice and all but who plays defense then? Claude?
Ryan Suter

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:16 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

I think Thomas is more likely to be a casualty of getting traded to Phoenix should they run into additional economic problems. Adding Thomas would be a double bonus for the organization - they won't have to pay the man yet they gain $5 million towards reaching the cap floor.

He'll probably go for the same return that Sturm fetched - "future considerations."

Edit: I hope that this proposal isn't due to the glut of right wingers the Oilers have (Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky etc), I think it's far more likely that one of them will be playing their off-wing rather than being moved.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:17 PM
kman22

Hemsky is making $5 million per this year and next. Is he really that good?

kman22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

I wouldn't hate it. I'd love it if Timmy went with him. It's a risk with the injuries to Hemsky but with the way he sees the ice, if he stayed healthy he and Seguin might be pretty ridiculous together.

Didn't Edmonton have a buinch of interest in Boychuk when Boychuks contract was up a year or two back?

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Braunbaer
Braunbär

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman22 View Post
Hemsky is making $5 million per this year and next. Is he really that good?
If he can stay healthy, he is being underpaid. He is that good.
He is very injury-prone, that's the problem.
Until last season he actually always has been a PPG player in spite of all the injuries.

But as I stated above, he is healthy this summer and I hope he stays healthy.

He can run a PP almost as good as Savard did, imo.
His passing abilities are amazing.

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:22 PM
agreen23

5 million dollar cap hit. injury prone. another RW/right hander. we're thin on D. no thanks.

agreen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:23 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Interesting proposal. There's no denying Hemsky's skill, but his production and goal scoring is off for a guy with his kind ability. He's only got 33 PP goals in his 9 year career. He's not quite the goal scoring guy I'd like to see the Bruins get, but it's a good upgrade IMO for Boychuk. I just hope the gap between Boychuk and Hemsky's value doesn't involve one of our better prospects.

If they're going after Hemsky, then there's something that they're not telling us and are uncertain if Horton can perform on the top line anymore or they have another deal in place to move another top 6 guy.

Lucic -- Krejci -- Hemsky

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Seguin

Caron/Horton -- Kelly -- Peverley

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:25 PM
DOGSTARMAN

If Hamilton becomes a replacement for Boychuk... who is replacing Corvo/Zanon/Mottau? I guess you could stick one of the ANHL players in that spot but it's not clear to me that any of them are really NHL ready/able or that it would be any different than when they presumed Kampfer was the fill-in once upon a time and found out differently.

Also, if these players are healthy - Bergeron, Krejci, Horton, Lucic, Seguin, Marchand - does that mean one of them is moving to the 3rd line or that Hemsky goes there? Not looking to take up the debate about whether Hemsky is or is not better than any of the current top 6 but wondering what the expectation is.

I think Boychuk is pretty good and has big games in him but I won't go so far as to say he's irreplaceable. Pretty good player, pretty good contract. But the defense does currently seem too thin to absorb losing him for a forward with question marks. Not that it's not a fairly even trade, but I wonder if the net result is really a step forward if it's that deal straight up or if Thomas is not fetching a decent defenseman (doubtful).

Of course if this trade was built up into more, with one of Edmonton's defensemen coming back here, that could be more interesting. Not entirely sure why they need Boychuk when they already have Smid, Whitney, N Schultz, J Schultz, Sutton, Barker, Teubert, maybe Klefbom, Peckham in the fold. Not that they are all great or anything but I'm not sure they * need * Boychuk, though I can see why they'd want to unload Hemsky with their 147 young stars up front.

If we were getting Hemsky + say Smid (who I like, not a bad #4 type to have) for Boychuk + something (would not be junk though), that's different. Maybe that's where Thomas fits in? We could do worse than having Chara + Hamilton as the first pair and "the Germans" (Seidenberg + Smid) as the 2nd pair.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:26 PM
The Scarecrow
2011 Cup Champions

Without Boychuk the defense is scary thin.

The Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:32 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Would be a good get. I think Thomas would have to go as well.

Hemsky is nice because he has the talent to be a PPG+ player and the only guy right now I see that from on our team is Seguin (and not immediately.)

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post
Not to mention that pesky NTC.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:33 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post
Yup.

Can't see this happening, nor do I want it to happen. Would much rather see a deal involving Krejci heading to the desert and Yandle coming back the other way.

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:35 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Not to mention that pesky NTC.
Yup. This trade makes no sense on multiple levels. School of Eklund.

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:37 PM
BergyWho37

No thanks is right ... if boychuk waives his NTC would rather throw him at Calgary for Iginla or even Cammalleri more BANG for your BUCK ... plus the injuries Hemsky gets WOW to risky with Horton maybe at deadline but not for boychuk ..

BergyWho37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:39 PM
The Scarecrow
2011 Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler SeQuin View Post
Yup. This trade makes no sense on multiple levels. School of Eklund.
If Colt is saying it I'm not going to file it under the Eklund file. Colt said Hemsky and Boychuk were the main parts. If there were more it could make sense. In my opinion a defenseman would have to be coming back.

The Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Boychuk eats up 20-26 minutes per game and he plays perfectly with Chara. That's extremely valuable for such a limited defense, such as ours. We have a great defense, but as we saw with McQuaid, if one guy goes out, we're ****ed.

You're adding Hamilton, a 19 year old rookie, in his place. No. In exchange for a one-trick pony who'd be lucky to play half the season because of his glass bones and paper skin. If Thomas went with Boychuk, and we acquired Suter, (which isn't likely even if we had the space, he's getting huge offers...) maybe. But Boychuk is a huge player here and he has a NTC. As far as I know, he absolutely loves it here as well.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:41 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Im sure the NTC wouldn't be a problem in this deal as Boychuk is from Edmonton, the Oilers are a prestigious franchise(even if they've been **** lately) and have the brightest future in the NHL(thanks to tanks).

However, the only way this works for us is if we go ahead and sign Ryan Suter right afterwards....unless you want Krug, Hamilton, AND the highly coveted defender on a two way contract Chiarelli is talking about playing....not even Tim Thomas himself could look good with that defense.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote