HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency 2012 (7/1/12)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 03:04 PM
markisonfire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Exactly. No to Jagr as well. This team just won a cup, why are we looking to add old guys like Jagr and Doan. Penner is signed, these guys deserve the chance to repeat with a similar roster.

For every Selanne and Whitney there are ten Ryan Smyth's, Jeremy Roenick's and Mike Modano's who play to long and embarrass themselves.

Let someone else pay these guys the silly money being thrown around.
I wouldn't lump them together in the same category. I would love to have Doan on the Kings.

Brown - Kopitar - Doan
Penner - Richards - Carter
Gagne - Stoll - Williams
King - Fraser - Lewis

That's almost three top lines.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Why the hell is anyone on this board discussing EKLUND rumors?? Please tell me you guys are brighter than that.
People are bored and Suter & Parise are holding every other transaction hostage with their "it's too hard to make a decision" ********.

I hope nobody really expects Jagr, Selanne, Doan or Parise to sign with LA. None of them are coming here.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Why the hell is anyone on this board discussing EKLUND rumors?? Please tell me you guys are brighter than that.
He has sources just like anyone else does...I am not sure why one guy is better than the other, in regards to rumors.

I don't endorse one over the other, I just post them here for discussion. You don't need to participate if you don't want to.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:21 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames

‪#RedWings‬ initial offer to Ryan Suter was $80 M, 13 years, now up to $90 M. Team wants to keep cap # reasonable - preferably under $7 M

I guess Suter is going to make Doughty's contract look like a bargain when it's all said and done.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames

‪#RedWings‬ initial offer to Ryan Suter was $80 M, 13 years, now up to $90 M. Team wants to keep cap # reasonable - preferably under $7 M

I guess Suter is going to make Doughty's contract look like a bargain when it's all said and done.
And it's going to be a fair contract because it falls in the "market rate" everyone talked about in the Stoll thread, correct?

Almost anyone who signed in the past couple of years is going to look underpaid with the ridiculous numbers being thrown around so far.

2012 was clearly the best year to be a FA. And it's not even close.

I also heard on a UM board I post on that the Red Wings team plane, along with management, ownership and Chris Chelios (works for the Wings) all were in Wisconsin and may be heading back to Detroit to get this done.

Mighty big shoes for Suter to fill in Hockeytown.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

awfully expensive price to learn he is a product of Weber

Old
07-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
He has sources just like anyone else does...I am not sure why one guy is better than the other, in regards to rumors.

I don't endorse one over the other, I just post them here for discussion. You don't need to participate if you don't want to.
Eklund's sources involve him and a dartboard. The guy is hilariously bad with his "reports." Such as him reporting that Burish had re-signed with Dallas. He's as informed as any random poster on these forums.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:40 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Quote:
And it's going to be a fair contract because it falls in the "market rate" everyone talked about in the Stoll thread, correct?
I know you're already well aware of this, but for the sake of defining this for the audience, "Market rate" is whatever the market will bear. Clearly there are a few teams with a lot of money they want to throw at one player, and given the new CBA will likely have more restrictions on contracts, they want to get it done under the current CBA if at all possible.

Looking at the market rates for these players now that the Kings would have been nowhere close to being able to assemble the roster they now have locked up if they had to acquire their top players (Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Brown, Wiliams, Richards, Carter, etc.) via free agency. The prices would have been far higher.

"Hometown discount" is what the Kings got for Stoll (and Fraser, Penner, Quick, Brown... etc.) They essentially got it for Richards and Carter as well given they signed the same type of deals with Philly. Stoll (and Penner) could have gotten more money as a UFA testing the market. They chose not to do that.

Anyway... just glad the Kings don't need to rely on Free Agency for any major pieces for the foreseeable future.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:41 PM
johnjm22

Quote:

Almost anyone who signed in the past couple of years is going to look underpaid with the ridiculous numbers being thrown around so far.

2012 was clearly the best year to be a FA. And it's not even close.
Christian Erhoff got paid 10 million dollars last year.
Brad Richards is getting 24 million dollars over two years.
Kovalchuk will be getting over 10 million per season for the next 6 years.

I doubt Suter's contract will be any more ridiculous.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

I love this crazy arms race in the West. It's all about keeping up with the Kings and not letting them get too far ahead.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:43 PM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Eklund's sources involve him and a dartboard. The guy is hilariously bad with his "reports." Such as him reporting that Burish had re-signed with Dallas. He's as informed as any random poster on these forums.
I'm convinced that Eklund isn't actually one person; rather he is a collection of all the most credible names in the hockey business, intentionally posting false information. This way, these people just become more and more credible.

That or he's a complete moron.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:52 PM
bobafettish*

i guess parise learned something from kovy's negotiations.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:55 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
People are bored and Suter & Parise are holding every other transaction hostage with their "it's too hard to make a decision" ********.

I hope nobody really expects Jagr, Selanne, Doan or Parise to sign with LA. None of them are coming here.
I hope none sign, only parise if not there's always next year when we can sign the player some you guys hate.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
From Twitter:

Kings Could Make Pitch to Selanne if Doan Goes Elsewehere.. (E3)
"This from a source in Anaheim."
- Eklund

What.
The.
I was there for this conversation. It went down like this:
Eck (at Hooters in Anaheim): "Waitress, do you think the Kings are going to throw a deal at Selanne?"
Waitress: "Huh?"
Eck: "Thought so." (Types it on twitter)

Old
07-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Kings man 4 life

Ook I've been traveling since the 29th and I have no idea what big moves have happened? If someone can do me a solid and give me the cliffs notes from Free Agency and trades?

Old
07-03-2012, 04:07 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
Ook I've been traveling since the 29th and I have no idea what big moves have happened? If someone can do me a solid and give me the cliffs notes from Free Agency and trades?
This has all the signings: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=25880

Only trade so far was Buffalo sending Derek Roy to Dallas for Steve Ott and Mark Pardy.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:14 PM
FrozenKing18
Goongala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
This has all the signings: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=25880

Only trade so far was Buffalo sending Derek Roy to Dallas for Steve Ott and Mark Pardy.
Also Nick Foligno for Marc Methot

Old
07-03-2012, 04:15 PM
JureEe
Go Kings Go!

LA Kings @LAKings
Boom -- #LAKings sign D Andrew Campbell to a two-year deal -- ht.ly/bZXRJ

Old
07-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I know you're already well aware of this, but for the sake of defining this for the audience, "Market rate" is whatever the market will bear.
I'm not saying your wrong.

But, it's the market rate of a broken and unrealistic and unattainable market. Much like saying you were getting a fair deal for a loaf of bread in the Weimar Republic or for a 1300 sqft condo in California in 2004

We sit here and say deals like Stoll and Penner's are fair or even a discount and I can't help but laugh. Then you go to other boards and people are defending signing Jiri Hudler to his deal, you here things like "Well, LA got Penner and Stoll who had 7 and 6 goals each for 3.25, Hudler isn't that bad" then you have Canucks fans saying "Garrison's deal is fair, he even gave us a hometown discount, look what Wideman got" , and now you'll have Wings fans saying "Suter is worth 7+ million, look what Garrison got" and if it isn't stopped whoever signs Weber for 9 next season will say "He is worth 9, look what Suter got" and then whoever gets Parise will say he is worth whatever he gets because Hudler got 4, Penner got 3.5, Jones got 4 for 37 points. It's an endless cycle of ridiculous inflation that is going to damage the game we all love.

And yes, I agree with you it's nice to see the Kings in such good shape financially. Having Doughty, Richards, Carter and Kopitar signed to long term deals with the ridiculous money being thrown around right now is great. But it's not going to mean anything if there is no hockey being played this fall.

Last edited by Herby: 07-03-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:

That would be the reason why I'm HERE and not on Hockeybuzz.com

And for the record, NO, he does not have sources like anyone else unless the anyone else you speak of are guys like you and I.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
That would be the reason why I'm HERE and not on Hockeybuzz.com

And for the record, NO, he does not have sources like anyone else unless the anyone else you speak of are guys like you and I.
I don't like Eklund either, but let's be realistic.

He does have sources. He's nailed a few trades. Bob Mc Kenzie has also said that he's posted direct quotes from GMs and during the lockout he has direct quotes from the negotitations.

Eklund is guilty of posting too much to get web hits or just making **** up sometimes...but he does have sources. He also has a press pass. I saw him at the draft in LA in the press corps

Last edited by Boba Fettuccine: 07-03-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I don't like Eklund either, but let's be realistic.

He does have sources. He's nailed a few trades. Bob Mc Kenzie has also said that he's posted direct quotes from GMs and during the lockout he has direct quotes from the negotitations.

Eklund is guilty of posting too much to get web hits or just making **** up sometimes...but he does have sources. He also has a press pass. I saw him att he draft in LA in the press corps
Just out of curiosity, how the hell would you know what he looked like??

Old
07-03-2012, 04:40 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenKing18 View Post
Also Nick Foligno for Marc Methot
Slipped my mind, thanks.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Jagr signed with Dallas. 1 year, 4.5m.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how the hell would you know what he looked like??
1) I am well connected like a spine.

2) Google. You'll fine more than one picture of him

Closed Thread