HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers sign Darcy Hordichuk (1year/$850k)

Old
07-03-2012, 03:51 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Of interesting note was Hordy on Eager, saying he got frustrated (Eager) when he played well but wasn't acknowledged (more bad paraphrasing by me ). Hordy figures Eager ended up just not wanting to do his job for the coach at some point.
Now that all depends if Eager was hoping for praise for putting up some points or actually hitting people and doing his job.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:51 PM
MisterD

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
So our player is hurt AND we get to be shorthanded for five minutes? Sounds like a great way to win hockey games.
Yeah, cuz we did such a great job of winning hockey games last year...

I don't have a problem with us going SH if a message is sent.

MisterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
So our player is hurt AND we get to be shorthanded for five minutes? Sounds like a great way to win hockey games.
Does it really matter when the game is already out of reach or it's February and we are sitting at the bottom of the standings? Hordichuk isn't a moron, he knows about time and place.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:53 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Yeah, cuz we did such a great job of winning hockey games last year...

I don't have a problem with us going SH if a message is sent.
We might win even less games than last year if we have useless players like Hordichuk running around taking penalties because they are trying to justify their place on an NHL roster.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Skm

Quote:
Meh, I'm ok with a 2 minute instigator penalty (instigating a fight after a hit yields an instigator not a 5 minute penalty) every once in a while if it the right time and place for it.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:55 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Does it really matter when the game is already out of reach or it's February and we are sitting at the bottom of the standings? Hordichuk isn't a moron, he knows about time and place.
That's the kind of attitude that resulted in us finishing in the bottom two in each of the last three years.

I thought we are trying to win this year?

Old
07-03-2012, 03:56 PM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
You don't seem to understand the fine nuances of having an experienced tough guy who knows how to handle a situation BEFORE it happens on the team.

If The Kreugs lets the dogs off the leash, the other teams are gonna know it pretty quick.

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:56 PM
MisterD

Quote:
We might win even less games than last year if we have useless players like Hordichuk running around taking penalties because they are trying to justify their place on an NHL roster.
Or we do nothing, and it's open season on our stars and all of them end up on the IR, resulting in an even worse statistical season. Now, I don't think every hit warrants retaliation, but when an opposing player goes in looking for a big hit, a message should be sent.

MisterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:58 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Or we do nothing, and it's open season on our stars and all of them end up on the IR, resulting in an even worse statistical season. Now, I don't think every hit warrants retaliation, but when an opposing player goes in looking for a big hit, a message should be sent.
How is Hordichuk going to prevent our star players from getting hurt?

By fighting guys in staged fights after our stars are already out of the game?

Old
07-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
That's the kind of attitude that resulted in us finishing in the bottom two in each of the last three years.

I thought we are trying to win this year?
We've never had that attitude because we've always been out of it and nobody has stepped up to the plate, not sure what you're talking about.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:08 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
How is Hordichuk going to prevent our star players from getting hurt?

By fighting guys in staged fights after our stars are already out of the game?
He won't. No tough guy ever does. Its an outdated myth.

You want to stop teams from running your players...kill them on the PP.

guymez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:15 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post

Finally some sense in this thread. Thank you!

Quote:
We've never had that attitude because we've always been out of it and nobody has stepped up to the plate, not sure what you're talking about.
Giving up as soon as we face a little adversity? We see that every year.

You're saying that you would be content if we let players like Hordichuk run around taking stupid penalties once it is February and our playoff chances are shot? That's how you end up picking first overall. That's not our goal this year.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:16 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Finally some sense in this thread. Thank you!

You're saying that you would be content if we let players like Hordichuk run around taking stupid penalties once it is February and our playoff chances are shot? That's how you end up picking first overall. That's not our goal this year.
stupid penalties versus star players being injured..hmmmm

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:18 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
stupid penalties versus star players being injured..hmmmm
Show just one example where having McIntyre, Hordichuck or Eager dressed for a game prevented the other team from running/injuring a player?

Old
07-03-2012, 04:19 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Quote:
Show just one example where having McIntyre, Hordichuck or Eager dressed for a game prevented the other team from running/injuring a player?
They're going to tell you that Renney wouldn't let them which is nonsense.

I would like to see any example from any team in the league where a goon stopped a player from being run.

I like Eager though. He is actually a hockey player.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:22 PM
NewBoysClub97
All-Star

I just hope our "pests" like Hordi actually start things. The Oilers usually are a team that starts getting run and then "retaliates" with nothing done.

Canucks are a perfect example. Guys like Bieksa, Edler, etc go out of their way to take a run at a star.

Hordi seems to do a lot of talking without backing it up, but he also didn't get much ice time.

NewBoysClub97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:24 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:

I would like to see any example from any team in the league where a goon stopped a player from being run.

Eager is the best of that bunch but he is not a top 6 player IMO.
He can skate and he seems to have fairly soft hands but has trouble taking and receiving passes which kills the play more often than not.

If the majority of posters are suggesting that this team needs a top 6 player with grit then I agree but thats a different kettle of fish all together.

4th line players that can't play the game very well are a liability...they don not help teams win and they really don't prevent anything in terms of injuries to star players.

As for Renney...i think he just recognized that these players add little and make teams more vulnerable when it comes to playing the game.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Quote:

How silly...That's like saying how do you know speed limits lead to less incidents..You don't know there are less because they didn't have an incident??

What example would you expect? Someone to say, "Well, I remember a time back in '05 when having some tough guy on X team stopped someone else from getting hurt"...

Really, you want an example?

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:40 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Matter View Post
How silly...That's like saying how do you know speed limits lead to less incidents..You don't know there are less because they didn't have an incident??

What example would you expect? Someone to say, "Well, I remember a time back in '05 when having some tough guy on X team stopped someone else from getting hurt"...

Really, you want an example?
How about I give you examples where having a goon on the team did nothing to stop a player from being run?

Where were Cooke, Rupp and Engelland on this one?

Good thing Toews had Jamal Mayers and John Scott to protect him on this one, right?

Imagine if Washington didn't have Erskine and Beagle in the lineup. Backstrom may have got hurt!

There are countless examples.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying if the game is out of reach then yeah sure send Hordi out there to send a message.

Clearly you didn't read my post, I said Hordichuk is a smart guy he knows the time and place when a message needs to be sent, just let him do his job. Also if the season is out of reach and guys like Boll are taking liberties with our stars and making us look like even bigger ******* and Hordi is stapled to teh bench then yeah there is a problem.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Show me one example when we had the top PP in the league last year and out stars weren't being rag dolled.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:46 PM
CorpseFX

Quote:

out hitting and out skating teams usually does the trick.
the Oilers rarely initiate a physical game and thats why theyre easy to play against.

the PP facet is crucial also but to be an elite team you have to crush -at the fundamental elements of hockey - 5-on-5 also. which they dont do for various personnel reasons.

its still a long way before this team is elite in a top 3-5 team sense. when it is, id hope they have enough personnel where its not just one dimensional.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:51 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Quote:
I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying if the game is out of reach then yeah sure send Hordi out there to send a message.

Clearly you didn't read my post, I said Hordichuk is a smart guy he knows the time and place when a message needs to be sent, just let him do his job. Also if the season is out of reach and guys like Boll are taking liberties with our stars and making us look like even bigger ******* and Hordi is stapled to teh bench then yeah there is a problem.
I thought Hordichuk has magical goon powers that prevent players like Boll from running our players just by having Hordi on the team.

That's what people in here are telling me.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Until you played the game on the ice were guys can take your head off or break your hand with a slash or punch your face in

You have no clue what is effective and what isn't

Sorry that is just a fact some of you sideline players are going to have to come to terms with

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Until you played the game on the ice were guys can take your head off or break your hand with a slash or punch your face in

You have no clue what is effective and what isn't

Sorry that is just a fact some of you sideline players are going to have to come to terms with
Doesn't seem to work given all the cheapshots that are thrown against teams with goons in the lineup.

The only way your team doesn't get run around in the NHL is if you are the team doing the running. If I remember correctly, the Oilers got run out of Dallas the first time they played there, and then the second time they upped their physical game and actually gave Dallas a game. That's what the Oilers have to do. Guys like Hall, Yakupov, basically everyone in their lineup is going to have to initiate the physical play and intimidate the other team before they get intimidated.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote