Yes those were good trades, but sorry, Phaneuf is not a top D player.
4 years later and we still have no franchise goalie (fail), no 1st line centre (fail), we are not truculent (fail), we hover only a few floor above the basement of the league and after 4 years we have yet to attract 1 top free agent talent to play with this original-6 franchise that has a bottomless pit of money and resources.
Am I wrong?
Let me ask you - does the fact that we have no franchise goalie automatically represent a fail? Because if you ask me, if it's a choice (and it sure looks that way) between giving away the likes of Reilly, Kadri, Frattin and Gardiner, etc just to be deemed "pass" by you, I'd much rather take my chances with Reimer thanks.
The fact is that franchise goalies don't come around too often. But hey I'm sure you were totally onboard paying Bryz $50 million when he was UFA - right!
On that note, neither do #1 centres. So please - relax - and don't put all the failings of 10 years worth of franchise mismanagement onto the shoulders of one Brian Burke.
- didn't like the prices/terms on most UFAs
- sees McClement as our third line center
- looking at upgrading the goaltending but so far the price hasn't been right, we'd be shoring up one position but creating holes elsewhere
- not interested in Jonathan Bernier (didn't mention him by name but that was the implication)
- won't sign a player to a long-term (i.e. 10-year) deal but doesn't object to other teams doing it
- does however object to 'cap-circumventing' contracts where the salary drops drastically towards the end, feels they will be addressed with the new CBA
- wants to get bigger guys to play Carlyle's system, JVR adds size to the top-six but we need more sandpaper
- believes we can upgrade at center, there are a number of guys available