HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Free Agent Frenzy Thread (1/7/12)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Dick Grayson

vCash: 500
I'm game for Semin. MacLean could whip him into shape, and we would have a pure sniper playing with Spezza again.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Rals

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
You're ruining Semin for me like CPhoenixM ruined Ryan Strome for me last year.
All this talk about the merits of a trade for a winger, and the answer is looking everyone in the face, why trade for Ryan or Nash when you can get an equivalent player for nothing but cash, and probably at a discount from his last contract.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Rals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
You know what team has a full roster and isn't planning any more significant transactions? Ottawa Senators.
Then why is this thread 41 pages of bobby Ryan to Ottawa proposals , smart ass?

Old
07-03-2012, 05:13 PM
McFist
Bryan can beat it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
You know what team has a full roster and isn't planning any more significant transactions? Ottawa Senators.
You know what team hasn't hit the salary cap floor yet? Go on, take a guess.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.

As much as I'd like Semin, I think he'd come with a hefty price tag. Parise and Suter want 24 million each in their first two years, and I can't imagine Semin wanting much less than that, especially considering how comparable he is, statistically, to Parise. I'd rather the Sens avoid blowing their cap space on a big name free agent for the time being. Maybe next year or the year after, when we can be considered a competitor for the cup, that would be a good move.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:14 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rals View Post
All this talk about the merits of a trade for a winger, and the answer is looking everyone in the face, why trade for Ryan or Nash when you can get an equivalent player for nothing but cash, and probably at a discount from his last contract.
Semin is an equivalent player to Nash and Ryan?

Stats don't tell the whole story, buddy.

07-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Rals

Quote:
Semin is an equivalent player to Nash and Ryan?

Stats don't tell the whole story, buddy.

He's better then Ryan, worse then Nash, slightly.

The link Ive posted a few pages back had the break down of his stats, He makes his teammates better, he's a force 5v5 and he's responsible defensively. His only legit knock is he loves taking stick penalties.

No ones perfect... Bobby Ryan tried to perform surgery with his skate last year.

Don't believe the hate.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:20 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Quote:

The link Ive posted a few pages back had the break down of his stats, He makes his teammates better, he's a force 5v5 and he's responsible defensively. His only legit knock is he loves taking stick penalties.

No ones perfect... Bobby Ryan tried to perform surgery with his skate last year.

Don't believe the hate.
Again, it's not all about the statistics. I watched my fair share of Capitals games this year. Our opinions clearly vary here, but no thank you on Semin. Not interested. He has the talent to be a great player but the drive to be a decent-to-good player, which is what he's doing.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFist View Post
He's scored over 30 goals in each of his last 4 seasons, and he's only 25. This is the type of player you make those deals for, especially when UFA's don't want to sign here, we get him under contract, and if he complains that this ain't Philly, though t*ts. And people saying that it would be "throwing away our future," he would be our future as a 25 year old. He wouldn't even be hitting his peak for another 2-3 years. My suggestion was the same deal without Greening.
Even with Ryan, are we garanteed to be out the bottom-10 this year?

This screams Phil Kessel deal all over again... who was a very good young goal scorer too

It could be a 6th overall pick + 7th overall pick + Greening + Wiercioch

That being said, Zibanejad shouldn't even be available, you don't trade high 1st picks that fast

Noesen/Stone/Puempel + 1st in 2013 + Wiercioch + Butler is enough IMO

Depends who are the bidders and what they are offering

Quote:
I think the proof is that no UFA's have signed here. There's a reason why Murray ends up with the Gonchars and Kovalevs of the world. We never land the current big names, we get yesterday's big names.
Unfortunately... yes and you can add Hasek to that list

Old
07-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.

Quote:
Again, it's not all about the statistics. I watched my fair share of Capitals games this year. Our opinions clearly vary here, but no thank you on Semin. Not interested. He has the talent to be a great player but the drive to be a decent-to-good player, which is what he's doing.
But, but, but... Semin would immediately improve our team toughness...

Old
07-03-2012, 05:25 PM
playasRus

Quote:
In all honesty, I'd take a decent-to-good young sniper for a few years at 4-5mil over Greening on the top 6 any day. That way, our top 6 isn't depending on 2-3 players performing and staying healthy and rookies (or Greening) playing above their heads.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:27 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
In all honesty, I'd take a decent-to-good young sniper for a few years at 4-5mil over Greening on the top 6 any day. That way, our top 6 isn't depending on 2-3 players performing and staying healthy and rookies (or Greening) playing above their heads.
If we can get Semin at $4-5M on a short deal, I'm all for it. Semin would be wise to look for longer term at $6-7M, though, which is something in which I have no interest.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Iamok
#Panic

We've passed over pretty much every big name UFA already and opted for 2 1-year deals with minimal cap hits, it's pretty clear we aren't interested in Semin or any other long-term commitments.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:28 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
If we can get Semin at $4-5M on a short deal, I'm all for it. Semin would be wise to look for longer term at $6-7M, though, which is something in which I have no interest.
Agreed, though if we were able to get Semin for $5 mil or under, on a term less than 3 years, I imagine he'd already be signed.

I'll give Semin (+ his agent) credit, here: wait for Parise to sign, then shop his services to the losers of the Parise Sweepstakes, who had already mentally committed top dollars for a scoring winger for the upcoming season. Someone will probably pay him near-Parise value as a consolation prize.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:29 PM
McFist
Bryan can beat it

Quote:

Don't believe the hate.

Ryan's playoff number last year: 3 G, 1A in 4 games.
Semin's playoff numbers this yr: 3 G, 1A in 14 games.

And how do you not want this on your team

Old
07-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Rals

Quote:
All this crap about his drive isn't real, fact is its hard to get goals, sometimes you go cold, even when your trying.

And "no drive" is what every Russian player gets accused of, it's a throw away statement that appeals to xenophobes and patriots alike. The fact that it gets thrown around so much about every Russian should indicate this.

Did semin as a rookie consider staying in the K? Yes. He likes home good for him. 7 years later he's an NHL superstar talent.

He even got a game winner v Boston this year in the playoffs. Write thr man a check and get him with spezza fast.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I can understand not wanting a player whose effort is lacking but lets not get ahead of ourselves and proclaim the guy a coach killer and cancer because of it. If you score yourself 80 points, it doesn't matter if you did it wearing a skirt and a frilly scarf, you're doing something right and that helps your team plenty. Under-preforming and not preforming are not synonymous.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:33 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Quote:
All this crap about his drive isn't real, fact is its hard to get goals, sometimes you go cold, even when your trying.

And "no drive" is what every Russian player gets accused of, it's a throw away statement that appeals to xenophobes and patriots alike. The fact that it gets thrown around so much about every Russian should indicate this.

Did semin as a rookie consider staying in the K? Yes. He likes home good for him. 7 years later he's an NHL superstar talent.

He even got a game winner v Boston this year in the playoffs. Write thr man a check and get him with spezza fast.
You can't tell me that something I've observed isn't real. That's like me telling you that your username isn't really Rals.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Rals

Quote:
Ryan's playoff number last year: 3 G, 1A in 4 games.
Semin's playoff numbers this yr: 3 G, 1A in 14 games.

you read the article I posted it explains demons lowered icetime and ****** line mates. Also did you watch the series with bos and NYr? Defensive snoore

5 million was 2 years ago salary, 6.5 is fair now, man can easily get you 35 goals and what's 4 years really?

Old
07-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Rals

Quote:
You can't tell me that something I've observed isn't real. That's like me telling you that your username isn't really Rals.
Your perception can be influenced by announcers yelling hate speech at him when he's got the puck.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

To use the Karlsson example. If Karlsson can be a great defensemen with average defense because he is really good offensively, Semin can be a great forward with average effort because he is crazy talented offensively. Effort is a very common component of a successful player, that doesn't mean it's mandatory.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:38 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Quote:
Your perception can be influenced by announcers yelling hate speech at him when he's got the puck.
Can be? Maybe. Was it? Doubt it. I watch most Washington (and Buffalo, and Boston) games with sound muted because their announcers bug me.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:39 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:

I couldn't care less about his nationality, watching him play you know he's mentally weak, albeit very talented.

I think the xenophobe criticism is an excuse to cover that fact.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:40 PM
playasRus

Quote:
The thing is, all players go stretches without scoring. I'm sure Spezza/Michalek had a ~5 game stretch or two where they didn't have a single point. Was it because they weren't trying?
The trick is having enough guys who's cold stretches don't overlap. That's why having 3 young forwards in i.e. Spezza/Michalek/Semin could mean having 3 players who get 60+ points and give us a chance to win when one or two of the three go cold.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:41 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
The thing is, all players go stretches with scoring. I'm sure Spezza/Michalek had a ~5 game stretch or two where they didn't have a single point. Was it because they weren't trying?
The trick is having enough guys who's cold stretches don't overlap. That's why having 3 young forwards in i.e. Spezza/Michalek/Semin could mean having 3 players who get 60+ points and give us a chance to win when one or two of the three go cold.
Mike Fisher went through cold streaks all the time, but you never once got the impression that he stopped trying. I don't get that same feeling from Semin.

Closed Thread