HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Free Agent Frenzy Thread (1/7/12)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 05:41 PM
McFist
Bryan can beat it

vCash: 500
I don't want him here at all. I don't have a Russian bias, either. I'd take Ovie or Malkin in a heartbeat. Just him in particular. I mean Crawford and McGuire went way overboard bashing him like that, but he's always carried that sort of reputation and I'm not interested to find out if it's true or not.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Rals

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Can be? Maybe. Was it? Doubt it. I watch most Washington (and Buffalo, and Boston) games with sound muted because their announcers bug me.
I'm just pointing out that your opinions arnt formed in a vacuum, I really think the more you watch him the more your opinions will change.

He catches a lot of slack, I honestly don't know any player that gets whipped on more. He's a victim of overblown expectations cause when he's hot it looks so easy, and your jaw is glued to the floor.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:43 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Semin is pretty much a walking stereotype. I'd still give him a chance on a deal that didn't exceed 3 years but the rumour is he's looking for 5+ years at 6-7M. Wouldn't want him for that type of cash.

Anyways, I do believe Murray came right out and said that he would not be pursuing Semin or Radulov.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Yashin's biggest problems were his agent, and the fact they kept making him captain. As a captain leadership a required trait, something he was not suited for...which is just fine. Take away the contract drama and just let him play, Yashin wouldn't be Yashin.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Even with Ryan, are we garanteed to be out the bottom-10 this year?

This screams Phil Kessel deal all over again... who was a very good young goal scorer too

It could be a 6th overall pick + 7th overall pick + Greening + Wiercioch

That being said, Zibanejad shouldn't even be available, you don't trade high 1st picks that fast

Noesen/Stone /Puempel + 1st in 2013 + Wiercioch + Butler is enough IMO

Depends who are the bidders and what they are offering
Not a chance either gets traded and the 2013 draft is way to good to be trading our first round pick. Besides we may end up being a lottery team and if that happens we will want our 1st round pick for this draft. The top end talent has very high end potential.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:45 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rals View Post
I'm just pointing out that your options arnt formed in a vacuum, I really think the more you watch him the more your opinions will change.

He catches a lot of slack, I honestly don't know any player that gets whipped on more. He's a victim of overblown expectations cause when he's hot it looks so easy, and your jaw is glued to the floor.
You're right. My opinions aren't formed in a vacuum. But they're not formed because of his nationality. I don't bash on Russians as a habit. I like Datsyuk. I like Volchenkov. I like Malkin. I like Nikita Nikitin in Columbus. I like Gonchar. There have been plenty of great Russians in the league who give it their all, much as there have been plenty of lazy Canadians and Americans.

Semin doesn't give it his all, and he's Russian. They're not mutually inclusive.

07-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Name a lazy American or Canadian where conditioning and/or poor skating and/or contract issues were not a publicized factor.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Semin is pretty much a walking stereotype. I'd still give him a chance on a deal that didn't exceed 3 years but the rumour is he's looking for 5+ years at 6-7M. Wouldn't want him for that type of cash.

Anyways, I do believe Murray came right out and said that he would not be pursuing Semin or Radulov.
What supports the claim that Semin is being stereotyped. The only people that I have heard supporting him or denying the claims that he is either lazy or has character issues are fans. Hockey insiders and analysts all seem to think that he has character problems, they have much better knowledge about what goes on behind the scences than any fan does. I am actually curious about this, is there anyone reputable that has claimed that Semin doesn't have character issues?

Old
07-03-2012, 05:50 PM
CR15

Everyone wanted to use the TSN guys giving compliments about Methot to validate him great no problem with that but what about what they were saying about Semin there treated as gospel when praising a new sen but ignored for ripping Semin?

Do not want that guy Kovalev junior not to mention our top 6 is soft enough as is.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Rals

Quote:
You're right. My opinions aren't formed in a vacuum. But they're not formed because of his nationality. I don't bash on Russians as a habit. I like Datsyuk. I like Volchenkov. I like Malkin. I like Nikita Nikitin in Columbus. I like Gonchar. There have been plenty of great Russians in the league who give it their all, much as there have been plenty of lazy Canadians and Americans.

Semin doesn't give it his all, and he's Russian. They're not mutually inclusive.
I'm not suggesting your buying into the russian bias, but I believe plenty of the talking heads on TV are, and if you hear something about a player enough it starts to seep in, unconsciously.

I would suggest that "chatter" works to some players benefit as well, ... like Rick Nash for instance...

Old
07-03-2012, 05:51 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Name a lazy American or Canadian where conditioning and/or poor skating and/or contract issues were not a publicized factor.
Poor conditioning would indicate laziness, though. Kyle Wellwood was lazy because he couldn't acclimate to the team's conditioning plan. That's just off the top of my head.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:54 PM
McFist
Bryan can beat it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR15 View Post
Everyone wanted to use the TSN guys giving compliments about Methot to validate him great no problem with that but what about what they were saying about Semin there treated as gospel when praising a new sen but ignored for ripping Semin?

Do not want that guy Kovalev junior not to mention our top 6 is soft enough as is.
I think they went overboard as objective analysts on national television but I certainly don't think that they just pulled it out of thin air.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:54 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rals View Post
I'm not suggesting your buying into the russian bias, but I believe plenty of the talking heads on TV are, and if you hear something about a player enough it starts to seep in, unconsciously.

I would suggest that "chatter" works to some players benefit as well, ... like Rick Nash for instance...
No. This is wrong. If I dislike a Russian player, it's subconscious? No. I dislike Semin. He's not a player I want on the Sens.

I also dislike Nash at his salary. I also dislike a lot of players that are commonly accepted as "good." This has nothing to do with media chatter. It has everything to do with personal observations.

NOT. INTERESTED.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Poor conditioning would indicate laziness, though. Kyle Wellwood was lazy because he couldn't acclimate to the team's conditioning plan. That's just off the top of my head.
But that was well publicized. All he was saying is that players with poor work ethic get ripped on by the media, regardless of nationality. Canadian and American players who are lazy and/or not well conditioned get similar levels of negative publicity as Russian players do. Hell we all heard how Penner pulled his back eating pancakes.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:56 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
But that was well publicized. All he was saying is that players with poor work ethic get ripped on by the media, regardless of nationality. Canadian and American players who are lazy and/or not well conditioned get similar levels of negative publicity as Russian players do. Hell we all heard how Penner pulled his back eating pancakes.
When was the last time you heard Phil Kessel or Dion Phaneuf be praised as hard workers? It's true that Russians get more criticism, but not that North Americans aren't susceptible to criticism too.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Rals

Also we should kidnap Nicklas Backstrom and Loui Eriksson, and reunite the Olympic line with alfie..

Old
07-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I will accept Phil Kessel as a legitimate answer to my question.

Old
07-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Ouroboros

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFist View Post
You know what team hasn't hit the salary cap floor yet? Go on, take a guess.
The cap floor won't be 54.3 whenever the next season of NHL hockey starts, but even if it were we don't need long term, big money contracts to get there.

Old
07-03-2012, 06:07 PM
McFist
Bryan can beat it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
The cap floor won't be 54.3 whenever the next season of NHL hockey starts, but even if it were we don't need long term, big money contracts to get there.
I think we do...I mean the roster's looking pretty full as it is. How else do we get there?

Old
07-03-2012, 06:11 PM
McFist
Bryan can beat it

Lovee seeing Olli Jokinen go to the Jets... but really I just want an excuse to re-post this gif that JustGivingEr posted on the Jets' thread:

Closed Thread