HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Andrew Campbell signs a two-year contract with Kings

Old
07-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

vCash: 500
Andrew Campbell signs a two-year contract with Kings

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637168

LOS ANGELES – The 2012 Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings have signed defenseman Andrew Campbell to a two-year contract, Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi announced today.

Campbell, 24, had 19 points (2-17=19), 54 penalty minutes and a plus-14 rating in 76 games with the Manchester Monarchs of the American Hockey League while serving as an alternate captain this past season. His 19 points and 17 assists both served as AHL career highs, and so did his plus-14 rating.

At the conclusion of the 2011-12 regular season, Campbell was named the winner of the Monarchs’ Mark Bavis Unsung Hero award for the second straight year (voted on by Monarchs players), and he shared the Monarchs Community Service award with teammate Thomas Hickey.

The 6-3, 207-pound Campbell is a native of Caledonia, Ontario, and he has skated with Manchester in each of the past four seasons.

Campbell was selected in the third-round (74th overall) in the 2008 NHL Draft, and he has 50 points (8-42=50) and 262 penalty minutes in 298 career AHL regular season games – all with the Monarchs. Additionally, he has five points (1-4=5) and 28 penalty minutes in 27 career AHL postseason games.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:18 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Good. Decent chance at becoming a bottom pairing NHL dman and at worse he's a great mentor for Manch but is still young enough to fit in with the youth that will be down there.

CNS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Sybil227

I may have my players mixed up - and I've certainly never seen him play, so I can't offer any opinion on him - but weren't a lot of fans in Manchester complaining about Campbell?

Sybil227 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227 View Post
I may have my players mixed up - and I've certainly never seen him play, so I can't offer any opinion on him - but weren't a lot of fans in Manchester complaining about Campbell?
They did in the past, but they also were rather harsh on Voynov as well. Someone has to be the whipping boy it seems.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
They did in the past, but they also were rather harsh on Voynov as well. Someone has to be the whipping boy it seems.
Or we are getting good at developing players

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:27 PM
losingsand

good signing, most of our nhl d ready to step in because of injury are players like hickey and muzzin who are more offensive d men. if we lose 2 of these three to injury: mitchell greene scuderi. i say drewiske and campbell get the call.

losingsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:37 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227 View Post
His first year there he was very much a disaster, always out of position trying to make huge hits, and just overall not very good. But this past year he was one of Manch's best d-men and probably the most consistent guy on the blueline as far as playing his game every single night. Solid signing as he should be one of the guys in competition to take Scuderi's spot along with Muzzin, Roach, and Deslauriers.

tigermask48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Sybil227

Glad to hear it. And thanks for following up.

Sybil227 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:42 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Davis D replacement.

His game has drastically improved but he is still below a few of the kids in Manchester in regards to being ready to make the team. Unless he is being groomed to be our 7th but even then he would be behind a couple of kids.

I like the signing though and think it AC is an NHL caliber 5/6 stay at home D man with a bit of grit but I do wonder how we will fit him in.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:55 PM
TKFAN

, enough said by a long time Monarchs season ticket holder.

TKFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:52 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFAN View Post
, enough said by a long time Monarchs season ticket holder.
Who do you think is ahead of Campbell in terms of development? Muzzin? Deslauriers? Hickey?

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Who do you think is ahead of Campbell in terms of development? Muzzin? Deslauriers? Hickey?
None of those players play the shutdown role that Campbell does. And our system is incredibly thin on shutdown D.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:23 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I like this signing. I think he has an NHL future, even if it is in the Davis Drewiske/Peter Harrold mold. He provides, depth, size and steadiness. I'm surprised he signed for two years, but maybe he sees a future with the Kings.

Wish he'd get a game or two in the NHL at some point this year.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

additonal write up on this from Manchester Monarchs website ...

http://www.monarchshockey.com/news.php?nid=4462

Campbell finished the 2011-12 season with a career-high 17 assists and 19 points and was one of only two Monarchs (Thomas Hickey) to appear in all 76 games last season. He was also continuously called upon to shut down the top opposing offensive players in almost every possible situation.

The 6-foot-3, 207 pound blueliner’s value on the ice was recognized when he was recalled to the Kings following the conclusion of the Monarchs post-season run. Campbell was recalled as one of the Kings’ “Black Aces” who practice in Los Angeles with the team and serve as one of the emergency back-up players in the playoffs.

Quote:
“It was a great experience to be around NHL playoff hockey and to see how intense and competitive the games are,” said Campbell of his time in Los Angeles. “Obviously, I had a great group of guys to be there with so we all enjoyed it together.”

“You are proud of all the guys that you have played with in the past and battled with in the past and to see them get rewarded and lift the Cup was pretty cool,” explained Campbell. “I played with Slava (Voynov) a couple years as ‘D’ partners. I played with (Alec) Martinez, (Davis) Drewiske, (Kevin Westgarth) Westy, (Dwight King) Kinger and (Jordan) Nolan and all those guys that have been a part of the Monarchs the last few years. It is a pretty cool feeling to see them achieve their dream since they were little kids.”

“Obviously, when they re-sign two guys like that (center Marc-Andre Cliche and left wing Rich Clune) who are two very high character guys and two team first guys,” said Campbell. “They are both really good friends of mine so when I saw them come back, I knew things were good. I kind of knew all along with where I was going to be.”

“I am feeling great,” said Campbell of his healing body. “I have been training hard and trying to get bigger and get stronger, so I feel really good with where I am at right now and hopefully I come into training camp and have a positive one and perform really well.”
Look for many of the Kings prospects to battle for what few roster spots there may be with the Kings in training camp this September.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote