HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers and Goons

Old
07-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
As I said in another thread, I'm becoming suspicious that Sather just signs one or two meatheads a year to appease the portion of the fanbase that still thinks this is the 70s. I liked the Haley signing, I find the Asham signing to be redundant. I don't think Asham's character matches up with the rest of the team.
Yes because those decisions are based solely on fanbase and not the actual guys in the room, or the input of the coaching staff. There likely wont be a guy in the room that doesn't appreciate playing with a guy that puts team before himself at the risk of eating a few knuckles. Look how popular Prust was. These guys will likely be no different.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:07 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

For those who canŽt remember, some flicks about Domi, Kocur & Foitu Hope youŽll enjoy!

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I really liked Nilan, I actually named one of my dogs after the guy. But...I don't even have him in the top 5. He was pretty good, and technical but he rarely ever put guys away. Most fights were draws when you really look at the footage.

Kocur
Fotiu
Langdon
Domi
Beck
Pound for pound, George McPhee deserves to be on that list.

What a set of balls on McPhee. He was 5'9" 175 taking on 6'5" 220 Dave Brown who was one of the best HW enforcers in NHL history.

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Edge

Are we talking careers or when they were with the Rangers?

I ask mainly because I seem to remember Nilan being noticeably past his prime with the Rangers.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:48 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruotsalainen29 View Post
He used to fight Scott Stevens on a regular basis when Stevens was with teh Caps and was quite a hot head.

And as I said, the fight with Tochet in the playoffs was really something.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Colton Orr earned my love forever when he cross-checked Ovechkin in the face after the Capitals were zoning in on Jagr non-stop.

You hit our stars? I'll knock yours out
Yes and no. Ovechkin crashed into Lundqvist and everyone held their breath because it looked like he wrecked Lundqvist's knee. That's why Orr hit him. It had nothing to do with Jagr. My favorite Orr moment. Even above Fedoruk.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Forgot Shelly.

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
I really liked Nilan, I actually named one of my dogs after the guy. But...I don't even have him in the top 5. He was pretty good, and technical but he rarely ever put guys away. Most fights were draws when you really look at the footage.

Kocur
Fotiu
Langdon
Domi
Beck

Langdon doesn't belong on that list. He rarely lost big but he just as rarely won big. Chris Simon belongs if you consider him a Ranger. Orland Kurtenbach, Ron Harris, and Reg Fleming too.

Old
07-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Langdon doesn't belong on that list. He rarely lost big but he just as rarely won big. Chris Simon belongs if you consider him a Ranger. Orland Kurtenbach, Ron Harris, and Reg Fleming too.
I think it's a matter of perspective. He never ko'd anyone, but his winning percentage is very good.

For me, the point of the fight is to win. If you win big, lose big, it may be more memorable, but it can also be counter-productive.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Giacomin

If someone can post the link of Fotiu almost getting his head chopped off by Crazy Steve Durbano then Durbano mooning the crowd I think some of our younger fans will realize how the game has changed and IMHO not for the better

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
If someone can post the link of Fotiu almost getting his head chopped off by Crazy Steve Durbano then Durbano mooning the crowd I think some of our younger fans will realize how the game has changed and IMHO not for the better

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Giacomin

Jabroni thanks for posting that clip. For all the younger Rangers fans if you watch this you should have a different opinion of who was the toughest Ranger of all time. Nicky wasn,t the biggest but he was feared and wrecked havoc on other teams. When this fight occurred Steve Durbano was the heavyweight who had taken the mantle from Dave Schultz as far as being the biggest goon. Sadly Durbano had a psychiatric history and I think he drank himself to death in his early forties and as Jim Gordon repeatedly states was kicked out of every league he ever played in. Nicky was not afraid of this goon and showed how tough he was. 3 years ago at an event at MSG I asked Nick about this fight and he told me that Durbano was ******** in his pants because Fotiu did not back down.
I hope this is convicing enough for those who said Prust,Orr,Boogard, Nilan etc. that there is only Fotiu in this class as the toughest Ranger!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
Jabroni thanks for posting that clip. For all the younger Rangers fans if you watch this you should have a different opinion of who was the toughest Ranger of all time. Nicky wasn,t the biggest but he was feared and wrecked havoc on other teams. When this fight occurred Steve Durbano was the heavyweight who had taken the mantle from Dave Schultz as far as being the biggest goon. Sadly Durbano had a psychiatric history and I think he drank himself to death in his early forties and as Jim Gordon repeatedly states was kicked out of every league he ever played in. Nicky was not afraid of this goon and showed how tough he was. 3 years ago at an event at MSG I asked Nick about this fight and he told me that Durbano was ******** in his pants because Fotiu did not back down.
I hope this is convicing enough for those who said Prust,Orr,Boogard, Nilan etc. that there is only Fotiu in this class as the toughest Ranger!

Fighting has evolved over the years in the NHL. In the olden days most players would fight, if not that often. And the fights themselves were different. Guys would face each other and throw punches as opposed to now where guys turn sideways trying to avoid being hit and look for one punch to knock someone out so they can get on the highlight reel. As tough as Fotiu was he never knocked anyone out cold. Never even came close.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:09 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think it's a matter of perspective. He never ko'd anyone, but his winning percentage is very good.

For me, the point of the fight is to win. If you win big, lose big, it may be more memorable, but it can also be counter-productive.
I always liked Langdon--though he wasn't a very good player. As a fighter--not a knockout guy but he had tremendous endurance. Any fight that went any length of time with him in it did not bode well for the other guy.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I always liked Langdon--though he wasn't a very good player. As a fighter--not a knockout guy but he had tremendous endurance. Any fight that went any length of time with him in it did not bode well for the other guy.
Funny thing is that when he first came up, the expectation was that he could evolve into a player who could take a regular shift. He showed some scoring ability in the ECHL and the AHL and in 96 he popped in 7 goals and took skating lessons the following offseason. It just never came to be.

There's just something about him that I really liked.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Langer was tough as they come and fought guys 30-45 lbs bigger then him all the time.. he beat a ton of guys as a Ranger like Mcsorley and Ojick and Breashear who were all bigger then him.. He pounded on Probert as a hawk.. He was Messier's buddy and loved by his teammates

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:57 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Yes because those decisions are based solely on fanbase and not the actual guys in the room, or the input of the coaching staff. There likely wont be a guy in the room that doesn't appreciate playing with a guy that puts team before himself at the risk of eating a few knuckles. Look how popular Prust was. These guys will likely be no different.
I obviously don't seriously think Sather just says "we need to sell tickets, better go sign a goon" get a grip man

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruotsalainen29 View Post

What a set of balls on McPhee. He was 5'9" 175 taking on 6'5" 220 Dave Brown who was one of the best HW enforcers in NHL history.

Loved McPhee...definite candidate for the list

Old
07-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
here's why Langdon I think deserves to be on it. Longevity, win/loss. As a NY Ranger I don't there was ever another fighter who had as many majors while with the club. Langdon had over a 100!!! So when you factor how many he won compared to how many he lost, his numbers really stand out. He did lack power, but he made up for it being as technically sound as any fighter I can remember. Plus like Davoon said...Big win over top heavy at the time. Probert, McCarthy McSorley etc.

Stricktly as a Ranger I got him top 3 for those reasons.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Are we talking careers or when they were with the Rangers?

I ask mainly because I seem to remember Nilan being noticeably past his prime with the Rangers.
Agreed on Nilan...

also i was definitely talking career with the Rangers only. otherwise would have had Brash and Boogey in that list too.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:31 PM
McMonster

my favorite Rangers fighter in recent years has to be Colton Orr

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Thanks for that video.

Damn a few things I miss, Gordon/Chadwick and the names on the back of the refs sweaters.

Gordon and Chadwick were a gas to listen to. I know they weren't great but they made it fun.

They do anything to take the character out of the game. It was more fun to hate the refs back then.

I am fully aware we don't pay money to see the refs but for instance it was so much fun to hate on Kerry Fraser (and his hair).

Now the only linesman I know is Pierre Racicot because I play against him in the offseason. Back then I could name them all. But I digress lol

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

A Couple of my favorite fights that I happen to remember from back in the day:

I used this long one for context. Graves sticking up for a team mate

Here he pummels Ray, who incidentally never won a fight until he discovered the ejecto jersey.

Yeah a mismatch, still will never forget it, plus the commentary is great:

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:21 AM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

nick fotiu, george mcphee, darren langdon, colton orr and tie domi.

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

No youtube at work, but someone should post up that Purinton / Cummins fight. Pure hate at work. Those two guys pummeled each other. I'll try to get it up later when I get home if no one else finds it.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote