HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Would you support eliminating the salary cap and revenue sharing?

Old
07-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Kadri43

vCash: 500
Would you support eliminating the salary cap and revenue sharing?

Should there be a salary cap and revenue sharing? Is it really fair to penalize some teams by placing a limit on how much they can spend? Should big market teams support other teams?

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Elever
Hth

It's not fair but it's the reality when you have 30 teams several of which aren't in hockey markets.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Verviticus

"does it really matter how much money a hockey team spends" - a canadian

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
No, the salary cap is essential to ensure parity in this league.

We should be following the NFL's model, which has allowed that league to grow into the most popular NA sports league and enjoy unprecedented success. If you want to watch the same few teams dominate leagues, go watch soccer or baseball.

Contrary to your flawed post, the salary cap is the MOST fair way. It is apt that a user with the name Kadri43 would try to eliminate managerial skill from the equation and put an emphasis on buying championships.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
eklunds source

The last 9 Stanley Cups have gone to 9 different teams. Without a salary cap that's not possible. Cap = good for the game.

eklunds source is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Verviticus

"do we really need a draft" - yankees fan

Old
07-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Verviticus

"those dudes are getting paid MILLIONS if i was told "you can play nhl hockey for free" id totally do that. **** them" - kadri43's wise words on the cba

Old
LilySmoov

Hell no.

Is it really fair to penalize some teams by basically pricing them out of contention?

LilySmoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KPRGol

One of my favorite parts about the NHL is the cap system. It creates a lot more parity.

KPRGol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post

We should be following the NFL's model, which has allowed that league to grow into the most popular NA sports league and enjoy unprecedented success. If you want to watch the same few teams dominate leagues, go watch soccer or baseball.

Contrary to your flawed post, the salary cap is the MOST fair way.
Not only that, the NFL realized in the 1930s that revenue sharing was vital to the overall health of the league. In George Halas' book, he talked about the financial struggles during the 1930s of the Bears, but it was more important that teams going through hard times were propped up to ensure the stability of the league.

Almost all of those teams are still around today...the Brooklyn Dodgers didn't make it, but their issues were more due to WWII gutting their roster and choking off their ability to replenish talent.

The NFL had their first draft around the same time, recognizing that competitive balance was also essential to the health of the league.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Kadri43

I agree with many of the posts here. It does create a more competitive league. It does create a more fair chance for smaller markets to succeed. On the other hand though I think that the free market should dictate the game as well.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:09 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
No I don't want to watch every single top UFA go to Montreal, Toronto, NYR, etc while the other teams are just farm teams for them.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Nope. The league is better off with the cap.

Gootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:11 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
The Leafs still couldn't buy a Cup so what difference does it make?

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:13 PM
puckyeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post

Contrary to your flawed post, the salary cap is the MOST fair way. It is apt that a user with the name Kadri43 would try to eliminate managerial skill from the equation and put an emphasis on buying championships.

Life isnt fair, why should hockey be fair?

puckyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

The NHL becomes baseball without the cap. 20 teams become minor league teams feeding the top 10 teams.

New York Yankees Payroll 195,998,004
Oakland Athletics Payroll 49,137,500

Which team is 17 games above .500 and which team has a losing record? Every team in the top 9 in payroll has been to the World Series in the last 10 years only 3 in the remaining 21 have been and Chicago is at #11

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

I think the cap is a good thing, and it should stay.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
The NHL becomes baseball without the cap. 20 teams become minor league teams feeding the top 10 teams.

New York Yankees Payroll 195,998,004
Oakland Athletics Payroll 49,137,500

Which team is 17 games above .500 and which team has a losing record? Every team in the top 9 in payroll has been to the World Series in the last 10 years only 3 in the remaining 21 have been and Chicago is at #11
In addition, MLB has become more and more irrelevant in almost every market since the Yankees began trying to monopolize every player who hits the market. It's incredible that the league that could do no wrong for 100 years has been completely undone because a small handful of owners refuse to look out for anything except their own self-interests.

Cleveland and Cincinnati both have extremely long histories in baseball and passionate fans...the actual interest has plummeted since 2001, even in periods of playoff contention. More people focus on NFL offseason minicamps than on the actual MLB season.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

**** no.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
danishh
Dat Stache

No. Teams would fold, players will lose jobs, and the fan experience for rich teams won't be any better. The NHL as a whole would be a whole lot less interesting, leading to less coverage, smaller TV contracts, etc. it would, in short, put this league back ten years, and start a decent into a collapse.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckyeah View Post
Last time I checked there is no salary cap on scouting, player development and front office.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:19 PM
puckyeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
I agree with many of the posts here. It does create a more competitive league. It does create a more fair chance for smaller markets to succeed. On the other hand though I think that the free market should dictate the game as well.
But, do we really want a 'competitive' league? Baseball has no cap and a different team seems to win the WS every year. Basketball, even though it has a cap, seems to have many teams that are 'haves' and 'havenots' and they do alright by themselves, they get better ratings than the NHL, people want to see Lebron and the super team, nobody has a problem with it.

When i think of 'parity' i dont really think of parity, i think of a watered down product. The Ducks had a great team in 2007 and havent won a cup since.....the Blackhawks had an extremely talented team too and were 'forced' to break up the following offseason and couldnt keep that exact team together for a repeat. Is that what we want? Do we just want musical teams where they 'take turns' winning cups?

Look at a team in the salary capless MLB named the Cubs. They NEVER win anything and the fans still pack the place, right? They still take off their shirts and sit in the bleachers drinking overpriced beer and having fun, its not like those fans are going to 'stay away' because the Cubs don't ever win and never really have any 'hope' of winning. The NHL has 'parity' with no cap, so how come the Blue Jackets always lose? Do fans in Columbus 'stay away' in droves because their team never really has any hope?

I think a capless sport is the best thing, a capless sport mimics real life....there are haves and havenots and nobody ever said anything has to be fair.

puckyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:25 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
Quote:
Well, you're not getting your way so it is unfair. Now everyone's happy.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
But, do we really want a 'competitive' league? Baseball has no cap and a different team seems to win the WS every year. Basketball, even though it has a cap, seems to have many teams that are 'haves' and 'havenots' and they do alright by themselves, they get better ratings than the NHL, people want to see Lebron and the super team, nobody has a problem with it.

When i think of 'parity' i dont really think of parity, i think of a watered down product. The Ducks had a great team in 2007 and havent won a cup since.....the Blackhawks had an extremely talented team too and were 'forced' to break up the following offseason and couldnt keep that exact team together for a repeat. Is that what we want? Do we just want musical teams where they 'take turns' winning cups?

Look at a team in the salary capless MLB named the Cubs. They NEVER win anything and the fans still pack the place, right? They still take off their shirts and sit in the bleachers drinking overpriced beer and having fun, its not like those fans are going to 'stay away' because the Cubs don't ever win and never really have any 'hope' of winning. The NHL has 'parity' with no cap, so how come the Blue Jackets always lose? Do fans in Columbus 'stay away' in droves because their team never really has any hope?

I think a capless sport is the best thing, a capless sport mimics real life....there are haves and havenots and nobody ever said anything has to be fair.
FYI:Boston, Detroit, Chicago, LA are not "small market teams"

The Cubs actually market the losing and their historical ballpark. The Jackets don't have the drawing power of Wrigley Field to depend on.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Paris in Flames

While no cap would certainly be better for my team, it wouldn't be better for the league. I'm all for keeping it and revenue sharing.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote