HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Sit and Think Things Through Thoroughly (Matt Carle signed with Tampa Bay)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 07:36 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
I do think you need to be careful both ways. One way for not overspending on a player in one position, and another with remaining completely stagnate and hoping that the young guys improve. There are some holes on this team that need to be filled. I dont want the Schenns or Couturier to be traded (and they shouldnt) but I dont think a "lets just chill this season" type of attitude is the best to go by. The older guys wont like it and it's not the best attitude to have to teach the younger ones. You SHOULD be trying to win the cup every season.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:37 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

[QUOTE=jeh82;52053371]Carle and Semin $50 million each?

Dear God, no.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:37 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Oh relax.
You laugh till Schenn/Couturier get traded, Carle gets close to a 7 mil a year deal or we overpay for a 4th line enforcer (well you might like that but 99% of the fans wont)

Old
07-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You laugh till Schenn/Couturier get traded, Carle gets close to a 7 mil a year deal or we overpay for a 4th line enforcer (well you might like that but 99% of the fans wont)
These things are not going to happen. Homer actually isn't bad when trading players for the right value. If he makes a deal, it probably will be a good one.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:46 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
None of these things are going to happen.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:49 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I agree with what Tocchet tweeted:

Wrote Tocchet, "If I were Flyers, I would have my attention on Doan and a couple of second tier d-man ...stay with the young core and grab Weber next year."

Sign Doan, Fedetenko/Langkow, and Roszival/Hannan
then trade for Suter at the deadline or sign next off season.

Hartnell - Giroux - Briere
Doan - Schenn- Voracek
Read- Coots - Fedetenko/Talbot
Sestito - Langkow/Talbot - Wellwood

Kimo - Schenn
Grossman - Coburn
Mez - Roszival/Hannan

I would actually just do this too. Although Fedotenko is NOT welcome back. Too many goals against.

I think I remember Tim Stapleton being a good bottom 6er for Winnipeg. Winnik isn't a bad choice either.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

Wrote Tocchet, "If I were Flyers, I would have my attention on Doan and a couple of second tier d-man ...stay with the young core and grab Weber next year."

Doan - Schenn- Voracek

Kimo - Schenn
Grossman - Coburn
Mez - Roszival/Hannan
Ricky didn't put a lot of thought into that. It is in no way clear that Doan leaves Phoenix, let alone comes here.

And, if anything, that is more likely than the prospect of Weber reaching UFA next season and coming here.

Whatever else this Parise-Suter saga has shown, it demonstrates that Snider's money can't buy every top-tier player.

Again, I'm not opposed to turning to Plan B, but let's not assume too much about what happens next July.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:50 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
These things are not going to happen. Homer actually isn't bad when trading players for the right value. If he makes a deal, it probably will be a good one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
None of these things are going to happen.
All I know is, alot of people here were 100% sure on Richards, Carter and lately JVR (till all the JVR rumors came out).

If you honestly think Homer is going to just sit down and not do anything, I think thats completely wrong. There hasnt been a time ever that Homer never did anything.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
I do think you need to be careful both ways. One way for not overspending on a player in one position, and another with remaining completely stagnate and hoping that the young guys improve. There are some holes on this team that need to be filled. I dont want the Schenns or Couturier to be traded (and they shouldnt) but I dont think a "lets just chill this season" type of attitude is the best to go by. The older guys wont like it and it's not the best attitude to have to teach the younger ones. You SHOULD be trying to win the cup every season.
Adding a Langenbrunner, Mueller, and/or Dominic Moore (if he's playing) would all be good short-term additions that improve our team depth and allow our young guys to grow.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Peter Mueller intrigues me. Good talent, but problem is keeping him on the ice. But Holmgren is into those 'let's take a chance' guys.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:53 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

For plan B, I have been liking the Mueller option. Yea he is injured a lot the past few seasons, but IF he can be healthy I think he could be a real solid top 9 player.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Briere-Schenn-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Mueller

The only thing is, you will be hoping the rookies dont have a sophmore slump, Mueller is healthy, and Hartnell and Simmonds can continue their breakout performances from last season.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Peter Mueller intrigues me. Good talent, but problem is keeping him on the ice. But Holmgren is into those 'let's take a chance' guys.
Yeah, this is something I like more and more. Worst case, he gets hurt, goes on LTIR, and you bump Talbot from the 4th line to the 3rd line wing, or Wellwood, etc.

Colorado didn't qualify him at 2.0, so he's probably available pretty cheap on a 1-year deal.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:56 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I'd rather give a much bigger shot to Gagne (well... outside of how awesome he is) compared to Mueller though when it comes to staying healthy.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:56 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Adding a Langenbrunner, Mueller, and/or Dominic Moore (if he's playing) would all be good short-term additions that improve our team depth and allow our young guys to grow.
Langenbrunner has really struggled the past few seasons so I dont think I'd add him. As I said before I do like Mueller as a plan B option. I can't see Moore playing/going to far from his wife.

You also got to hope that a defense of the 5 we currently have plus the fillin we either sign or bring up can do well. Our defense, (and team defense) really struggled last season.

I know Enstrom is a UFA next season, but I'd figure out a way to maybe grab him and then try to sign him. He is a true #1 and would easily our best defender. A young Kimo right there.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
You also got to hope that a defense of the 5 we currently have plus the fillin we either sign or bring up can do well. Our defense, (and team defense) really struggled last season.
Remember this... Bourdon is no longer waiver exempt. If he gets sent down, he'll get claimed. If he gets called up, he'll get claimed. Bourdon is either a 100% AHL defender, 100% NHL, or 100% on another team.

For me, improving team defense has as much, if not more to do with our forwards, Langenbrunner logged a ton of PK time on a defensively sound team. I see him as a 3rd/4th line veteran that logs defensive minutes.

Mueller would be a tremendous wing for Couturier.

As for Moore, let's remember that Philadelphia also has some of the best cancer centers in the world. If you were going to do a year or two where she needed care, this would be a tremendous place to do it.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Bryzard of Oz

Quote:

Doan - Schenn- Voracek

Kimo - Schenn
Grossman - Coburn
Mez - Roszival/Hannan
I like this, or really anything that involves detaching themselves from this marathon soap opera

Old
07-03-2012, 08:08 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Carle has passed. I can't remember the last time a flyer that went to FA re-signed with the team.
The reason Carle hasn't moved in any direction is Parise/Suter, which is an unprecedented wait as it comes to NHL free agency.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:16 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Langenbrunner has really struggled the past few seasons so I dont think I'd add him. As I said before I do like Mueller as a plan B option. I can't see Moore playing/going to far from his wife.

I know Enstrom is a UFA next season, but I'd figure out a way to maybe grab him and then try to sign him. He is a true #1 and would easily our best defender. A young Kimo right there.
Two questions:

1. Would he be cheaper than Timonen?
2. Is he really that good defensively?

Old
07-03-2012, 08:33 PM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Two questions:

1. Probably the same. Wisniewski money.
2. Yes. Guy is kinda fragile though, seen him get rocked in the corner a few times.

However, if he wants to stay I'd imagine the Jets would keep him.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:46 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Parise and Suter really need to decide so things start falling into place.

Tired of this wait.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Parise and Suter really need to decide so things start falling into place.

Tired of this wait.
Season starts the same day either way. We're waiting on one side of this or the other.

I expect both Parise and Suter will decide by /on Friday, and Carle and Semin will follow pretty quickly after.

Doan will make his call by next Monday, at which point, most of the top-level guys are gone. That should free up some trades, I guess.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:08 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Two questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflyerfan1992 View Post
1. Probably the same. Wisniewski money.
2. Yes. Guy is kinda fragile though, seen him get rocked in the corner a few times.

However, if he wants to stay I'd imagine the Jets would keep him.
Yep agree with that. He plays defense like Kimo does with sound positioning and stick play. Watched him a few times and reminds me of Kimo exactly.

Thats the one thing why I think we would need to trade for him ahead of time. I can see the Jets throwing some big money at him and him staying. He likes it there (from what I can see) so I dont see him leaving unless traded.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Yep agree with that. He plays defense like Kimo does with sound positioning and stick play. Watched him a few times and reminds me of Kimo exactly.

Thats the one thing why I think we would need to trade for him ahead of time. I can see the Jets throwing some big money at him and him staying. He likes it there (from what I can see) so I dont see him leaving unless traded.
They also have or will have pretty big money tied up in Buff and Bogosian--and they were pretty clear from the start that they were't going to be a cap team.

I'm not sure what we could trade to get him anyway. They've had a nice offseason here, and I don't see a huge pressing need that we could fill, unless we add futures to Mezsaros and swap him for Enstrom, but I'm not sure that makes a ton of sense for us.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:19 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
They also have or will have pretty big money tied up in Buff and Bogosian--and they were pretty clear from the start that they were't going to be a cap team.

I'm not sure what we could trade to get him anyway. They've had a nice offseason here, and I don't see a huge pressing need that we could fill, unless we add futures to Mezsaros and swap him for Enstrom, but I'm not sure that makes a ton of sense for us.
Eh, we disagreed on this before, but I still see it as a risk. People claimed the same exact thing last offseason "we will just throw money at Suter" well we did, and rumors flying around that he signed for the Wings.

Unless the jets are REALLY throwing some money out there on FA, they have the cap space. If they start making playoff's etc etc, they will spend alittle more. Plus I dont think they will mind throwing money towards their #1 guy. If not we go into a bidding war again next offseason and pray maybe we will win it. If not we are stuck without a #1 defender (Timonen is slowing down mightly).

I'd easily, without even thinking twice, trade Meszaros+ for Enstrom.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Eh, we disagreed on this before, but I still see it as a risk. People claimed the same exact thing last offseason "we will just throw money at Suter" well we did, and rumors flying around that he signed for the Wings.

Unless the jets are REALLY throwing some money out there on FA, they have the cap space. If they start making playoff's etc etc, they will spend alittle more. Plus I dont think they will mind throwing money towards their #1 guy. If not we go into a bidding war again next offseason and pray maybe we will win it. If not we are stuck without a #1 defender (Timonen is slowing down mightly).

I'd easily, without even thinking twice, trade Meszaros+ for Enstrom.
Oh yeah, I'd do that too. I mean, I'm a bit concerned about Enstrom walking at the end of the year, and I don't love his size, but if its Mezsaros and picks / prospects, I'd do it.

Unfortunately, I just can't come up with any real reason for them to do that. Worst cast, they play with Enstrom until the trade deadline, when they can pull in a nice package of draft picks and prospects for him.

Closed Thread