HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Favorites for the 2012-2013 Calder Cup?

Old
06-22-2012, 08:06 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I wish I could agree with the Hershey prediction, but it is going to be a tough year for us by the looks of it. The Caps have raided our cupboards ad I have not seen any replacements. Holtby not coming back is the tip of the iceberg. Unless we end up signing some vets quickly, Hershey will be fielding an ECHL caliber team this year.
Holtby won't be back, but Sabourin was re-signed and next season they will have Grubauer as well. If there's one position that I wouldn't worry about as a Hershey fan it would be in goal. Somehow they always find a way to have solid goaltending.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:42 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Alright no one is answering my question so I'll ask it again. How about Houston? They'll have a number of good prospects coming in such as Charlie Coyle, Zach Phillips, Brett Bulmer, and Jason Zucker. A few other players that may arrive in Houston, depending on what moves are made between now and the start of the season, include Johan Larsson, Granlund, and Jonas Brodin.

I'm trying not to be a homer but I think they'll have at least a decent team.
Yeah, everyone's prospects look promising on paper, but when they get on the ice it often turns into a different story. I hear all sorts of hype about this guy or that guy but then it's usually a crapshoot.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:28 PM
sabrefan27

This is ridiculous. Most teams aren't even half compiled yet. The Amerks only have like 5 forwards right now. Though that is one reason that the Amerks could potentially be a favorite. They'll be very veteran heavy at forward. Doesn't always work, we'll see what kind of vets Regier brings in.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:36 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Holtby won't be back, but Sabourin was re-signed and next season they will have Grubauer as well. If there's one position that I wouldn't worry about as a Hershey fan it would be in goal. Somehow they always find a way to have solid goaltending.
Saw Grubauer in the E a bit on SC. Pretty good. I'm not sure though if the injury he faced costing him much of last year might not have him starting back down in SC

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:37 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Nobody knows because nobody knows what prospects will sign and which ones will be assigned to the AHL.

Binghamton won the 2011 Calder Cup and finished with the fewest points in the AHL in the 2011-12 regular season.
Binghamton=total fluke. Dreadful for a few seasons prior and the one after.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Hzzz

Can't say anything. Especially if there is a lockout in the NHL.

Hzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:31 AM
tenpinsplit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Binghamton=total fluke. Dreadful for a few seasons prior and the one after.
No fluke, most of the team was hurt or on recall during the season. Barely squeaked into the playoffs, and rolled after the first round after Locke got healthy.

Regardless, the banner hangs.

tenpinsplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:36 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
Saw Grubauer in the E a bit on SC. Pretty good. I'm not sure though if the injury he faced costing him much of last year might not have him starting back down in SC
The plan is for Grubauer and Sabo to be the tandem in Hershey, with Anderson in SC along with a to-be-named backup.

I don't see the Bears winning the Cup this season, but I do see an interesting team. Loved Lurch's comment about them fielding an ECHL team - that's a massive overreaction at this point. Personally, I see a bigger emphasis on the defensive end with the loss of Bourque, MacFlikier, and possibly Aucoin, among others. Of course, Yingst / McPhee could sign some quality forwards, re-sign Coiner, and we'd be good to go again.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:02 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Homer pick, Houston Aeros !

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:56 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

THE SPRINGFIELD FALCONS! Hockey News said so for about three years in a row!

Old
07-03-2012, 03:24 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Thats just because they can't take in the simple fact that Springfield is livng on barring time nd without a miracle in the near future the reality is going to be hard to avoid.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:50 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Those clods picked Milwaukee to finish 13th in their conference when they were regular season and Calder Cup champs in 2004. Stop reading that garbage!

Like Jim Cramer says, "They know nothing!"

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:06 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Thats just because they can't take in the simple fact that Springfield is livng on barring time nd without a miracle in the near future the reality is going to be hard to avoid.
Uh....ok. Cool. You got your crap on Springy quota filled this month even though you stretched for it. Really don't know why you care so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Those clods picked Milwaukee to finish 13th in their conference when they were regular season and Calder Cup champs in 2004. Stop reading that garbage!
Yes, yes.....you've reminded everyone for years now.......

Old
07-04-2012, 10:57 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Uh....ok. Cool. You got your crap on Springy quota filled this month even though you stretched for it. Really don't know why you care so much.

Yes, yes.....you've reminded everyone for years now.......
Minor league death watch is fun, sure miss Hans doing with it.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:30 AM
2 Weekes Notice

Syracuse will probably be in the mix. The Calder-winning defense and goaltending are probably going to be pretty much identical, and even if Conacher and/or Killorn get called up to the show, there's a decent chance that would mean Brett Connolly is going down to the A to fill a hole. Lightning brass doesn't seem to have ruled it out.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:14 AM
IceCapsNation

Very interested in seeing how the IceCaps look this season after there fantastic inaugural season. With the one of either Montoya or Dekanich playing with Pasquale, will that create one of the top goaltending duos in the league by comparison? Barring of course Dekanich has fully healed from his injury.

IceCapsNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:00 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsNation View Post
Very interested in seeing how the IceCaps look this season after there fantastic inaugural season. With the one of either Montoya or Dekanich playing with Pasquale, will that create one of the top goaltending duos in the league by comparison? Barring of course Dekanich has fully healed from his injury.
It was his knee?

Old
07-09-2012, 07:48 AM
IceCapsNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
It was his knee?
Are you asking me a question?

Old
07-09-2012, 08:33 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Dekanich had a number of injuries (hip and then groin IIRC) and basically did not play last season. Your prediction of Pasquale and Dekanich being one of the top duos on the league next season is very premature given that nobody has any idea of what Dekanich can do and if he can even stay healthy.

As of this moment I think WB/S has potentially the best goaltending duo with Thiessen and Zatkoff.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:34 AM
IceCapsNation

Quote:
Dekanich had a number of injuries (hip and then groin IIRC) and basically did not play last season. Your prediction of Pasquale and Dekanich being one of the top duos on the league next season is very premature given that nobody has any idea of what Dekanich can do and if he can even stay healthy.

As of this moment I think WB/S has potentially the best goaltending duo with Thiessen and Zatkoff.
I'm too unfarmiliar with the rest of the league to make a prediction. I was asking what the true AHL fans thought of it by comparison to other teams. I particularly don't follow any other teams players, other than the IceCaps.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Canadienjet

Quote:

WBS right now are a improved team from last year, pre season favorite for sure.

IceCaps right now outside of Dex & Trembley have not done a whole lot.Team will be younger for sure I cannot see this team winning it all come June.Hope I'm wrong though.

Still could use another Top 6 forward.Postma and Mach could and should make Winnipeg.Kulda may not return.

Rosa,Desantis are hard losses(won't call them big losses).I'd say we win our division again but won't reach the conf finals again.

Last edited by Canadienjet: 07-09-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Canadienjet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Solution

Quote:

I hope so. Of course, I was not too impressed with Thiessen last season. A guy who was an AHL All-Star and then that performance. He did seem to get better as the season went on. To be fair I was surprised that he resigned with the Penguins. Supposedly he was going to look for a chance to compete to be a #2 at the NHL level.

Last edited by Solution: 07-09-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Clearing up a statement.
Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadienjet View Post
WBS right now are a improved team from last year, pre season favorite for sure.
IceCaps right now outside of Dex & Trembley have not done a whole lot.Team will be younger for sure I cannot see this team winning it all come June.Hope I'm wrong though.

Still could use another Top 6 forward.Postma and Mach could and should make Winnipeg.Kulda may not return.

Rosa,Desantis are hard losses(won't call them big losses).I'd say we win our division again but won't reach the conf finals again.
WBS is an improved team. I will agree with that assessment for now. (On paper, some moves look better than the reality.) A pre-season favorite is a little too strong in my opinion. The wingers are inexperience as is the defense for the most part. Grant lost an entire season to injury. Sneep is in his third year. Samuelsson is a second year player. McNeil, Morrow, and Dumoulin are first year players. Despres will most likely float between the NHL and the AHL since he has waiver eligibility. It looks like the top six wingers will be Bennett (rookie), Kuhnhackl (rookie), Peterson (second year in AHL; third year pro), Thompson (2nd year), Gibbons (2nd year), and Vieulleux (injured last season). They will be a young team, but preseason favorites seems a little too optimistic.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:30 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Are you asking me a question?
Yes. I couldn't remember his season ending injury in Milwaukee. I now think that it was his ankle. Dek has been through a lot in recent years.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Grasshopperking
Oh salad days

Providence

Might make the playoffs

Grasshopperking is offline   Reply With Quote