HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sami Salo signs with Lightning (2 years, $3.75 million cap hit)

Old
07-02-2012, 01:38 PM
BloatedGuppy

vCash: 500
Very sad to see Salo sign elsewhere. I was fairly certain he would retire a Canuck.

He's definitely in the twilight of his career, but as veteran reclamation projects go it's hard to do better than Salo. He plays such a smart, steady game. He doesn't have the speed and strength that he used to, but he makes up for it with superb positioning and his generally unflappable demeanor. Guy is the very picture of calm under fire. He's also still got a bomb from the point. Hard, accurate slapper. He's one of the few guys in the league who can beat the goalie with an unscreened slap shot.

On the downside...his fabled injury history is well documented. It's gone well past the point where it wasn't funny any more, to the point where it was funny again, and then not funny any more again, and then funny again, and so on. Truly legendary ability to get injured. Last season was one of his best, and he had 4-5 separate injuries. Expect him to miss 20-30 games, minimum.

Salo can still play like a poor man's #1 defenseman, but his big nights are getting fewer and further between as age slowly chips away at his game. He's a capable 2nd pairing defenseman, a good steadying influence on a younger player. Ideally he would be on the third pairing with reduced minutes to cut down on wear and tear, but I don't know if Tampa has that luxury.

Guy is a class act through and through. I hope he plays fantastic for you guys and goes out in style.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:08 PM
ProstheticConscience
Das ist mein Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
New Safety measures:

- Sami will be considered wearing a red 'no contact' jersey at all times
- All boards and glass will have 2 inches of bubble wrap applied
- All showers, tubs or other areas that may be wet will have non slip strips applied
- Bars of soap, and bannanas still in their skin will be banned from the ice palace.
- All sharp edges must have protective covers when not in use.
- If any player, or players family is sick, or thinks they may be sick, a preemptive course of antibotics will be gioven to Sami.
- All pre game soccer, or other game must be played with Nerf balls
- All pants will now have kevlar inserts, as will the back of all jersies.
I would add:

- No games of non-contact floor hockey
- Snakebite-proof pants now mandatory
- Photo shoots conducted in bouncy nerf castles instead of photo studio with sharp, pointy edges

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

I was thinking about the TBL PP. Wow!

Stamkos OR Salo can rifle the puck. Salo clocked in at 102 or 103MPH at our skills camp last season. MSL has some options for sure.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
Was talking to my buddy who's a Canucks fan last night and he said Salo's never played on the right on the PP before. Also, he thinks Salo wouldn't be a good fit with Stamkos on the blue line because we let in enough shorthanded goals as it is and Salo's too slow to chase down the PK counter and Stamkos, well he isn't a defenseman.

I don't think it'd be a huge issue for Salo to play on the right, since Stamkos has a more accurate shot and his one-timer is more useful/deadly from the left point. If anything, Stamkos also drifts down on the PP, so Salo would be playing more center-right on the blue line. I think Salo would diversify our PP and not let teams just zone in on Stamkos, but he brings up a valid point about Salo's recovery speed to stop shorthanded goals.
I wouldn't say that's true, Salo has played right side on the PP before. AV actually always puts LH players on the left, and RH players on the right, lol. Sometimes they'll be a player on the opposite side to one time, like Ehrhoff did. Salo will be fine on RD.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Ashley

hope he stays healthy

Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:02 PM
bbud

Tampa should be happy Salo is a class act and you cant question his drive to play hes been through more injuries than most and just never quits enjoyed his days as a Canuck and wish him well .

bbud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Nuck This

Loved Salo. One of the great Canucks D of all time. A Very cerebral player. Very underrated in the NHL. If he could have stayed healthy... I think he would have gotten a lot more recognition. Fantastic defensively and has a hard accurate shot. If he can stay healthy he'll be a great addition for your team. A true class act and a leader by example. I'm happy he was a Canuck.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
Was talking to my buddy who's a Canucks fan last night and he said Salo's never played on the right on the PP before. Also, he thinks Salo wouldn't be a good fit with Stamkos on the blue line because we let in enough shorthanded goals as it is and Salo's too slow to chase down the PK counter and Stamkos, well he isn't a defenseman.

I don't think it'd be a huge issue for Salo to play on the right, since Stamkos has a more accurate shot and his one-timer is more useful/deadly from the left point. If anything, Stamkos also drifts down on the PP, so Salo would be playing more center-right on the blue line. I think Salo would diversify our PP and not let teams just zone in on Stamkos, but he brings up a valid point about Salo's recovery speed to stop shorthanded goals.
No he plays right side. Salo has really good balance and core strength that he can take one timers from a lot of different angles. He's also good and quick at receiving the puck and shooting it all in one motion so he's fine on the right side.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:55 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
I wouldn't say that's true, Salo has played right side on the PP before. AV actually always puts LH players on the left, and RH players on the right, lol. Sometimes they'll be a player on the opposite side to one time, like Ehrhoff did. Salo will be fine on RD.
Good to know, my buddy just told me he didn't remember seeing Salo playing on the right. Is he also right about him being slow and not being able to stop PK counters? Having Stamkos and Salo on the point could cause even more SH goals...

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:56 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
I envision the set up for the first PP unit will be, VL in front, Marty right circle Stamkos left circle MAB left point Salo right point.
Interesting, but I see MAB dropping to the 2nd unit and Purcell playing the left. Or Stamkos plays the left, Purcell the right and Marty dropping back to the point with Salo.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:17 PM
zeykshade

I bet I can count the number of times Stamkos has been on a point on our PP on 2 hands.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:20 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
I bet I can count the number of times Stamkos has been on a point on our PP on 2 hands.
Yeah, Stammer drifts on the PP all the time. Left circle, halfboards, net. I don't really recall him playing the point.

The YzerJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Stamkos was at the point at times last year due to us not really having a point presence, maybe Salo can at least fill that void if nothing else. Say what you want about Foster but he excelled in that role, something we haven't been able to replace.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:18 PM
ajhockey19

Hey folks. Canuck fan here. Just gonna say that Salo is more valuable than some of you may think. He's not worth $3.75M per year, more like $2M-3.25M, but UFAs are almost always overpaid.

He's a calming presence on the ice. He can even be a bit of a leader as well. He wore the "A" when a Canuck alternate was injured last season and he probably would be the next in line to get it if one of our alternates left.

His only major detriment is his obvious injury history. But if you look on the positive side, you'll see that his 69 games last year was the most he's played since the lockout.

Salo has also become a very solid defensive defenseman in the past few years. He's reliable and smart in his own end as well as in the offensive zone.

One big thing he has is his shot. He can shoot the puck up to 101 or 102 MPH and he's deadly accurate with it too. The Canucks always had Edler, who could shoot it just as hard, but he was never as amazingly accurate as Salo. Salo's bombs did and still do strike fear into opposing goalie's hearts.

Salo is a class act. He was always active in the community and never did anything in a malicious manner on the ice. He was a great ambassador of the game. The Lightning are fortunate to have such a wonderful guy.

ajhockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:13 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

https://twitter.com/#!/TBLightning
Quote:
RT @620wdae New #TBLightning Sami Salo joins The Sports Page w/Tom Jones & Rick Stroud TUES at 7:45am. Listen: http://620wdae.com/listen

Old
07-03-2012, 01:34 AM
LGB 26

Im stoked that hes stoked to be here.

And thats all I have to say aboot that.

LGB 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:03 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
I would add:

- No games of non-contact floor hockey
- Snakebite-proof pants now mandatory
- Photo shoots conducted in bouncy nerf castles instead of photo studio with sharp, pointy edges
He also will eat with a cork on his fork.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:00 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Said he talked to Ohlund and Bergenheim about Tampa.

Ohlund told him we take care of our players, and our team competes hard to win

2 years ago Tampa was in the same spot as Vancouver in the Eastern Conference Finals, so thinks we can win a cup.

Said that less traveling in the east will be good for his health.

Will be flying over to Tampa in a couple weeks.

TheDaysOf 04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:45 AM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbud View Post
Tampa should be happy Salo is a class act and you cant question his drive to play hes been through more injuries than most and just never quits enjoyed his days as a Canuck and wish him well .
Finns don't quit. Sisu.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Said he talked to Ohlund and Bergenheim about Tampa.

Ohlund told him we take care of our players, and our team competes hard to win

2 years ago Tampa was in the same spot as Vancouver in the Eastern Conference Finals, so thinks we can win a cup.

Said that less traveling in the east will be good for his health.

Will be flying over to Tampa in a couple weeks.
Had a feeling Mattias played a part in all of this.

What a difference from the OK years, our players are actually wanting others to come here because it's a good environment.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:46 AM
BoltSTH

Another signing of someone with great character, a positive locker presence and the fans of the the team a player is leaving have nothing negative to say about him

Another brick in the 'world class' wall.

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:07 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames

#Redwings made 2 year offer to D Sami Salo Sunday but lost him to Tampa Bay. Wanted to add both Suter & Salo.
https://twitter.com/#!/HeleneStJames

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Fred89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
SFY > Red Wings

Fred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:31 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbud View Post
That's a great thing about him. While the fat media douches in Vancouver try their best to suggest he retire, he just rehabs and comes back. It would have been easy to quit after a torn Achilles at his age, but nope. Maybe he pays taxes in Finland and still needs to work for a living?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:55 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

https://twitter.com/#!/capgeek
Quote:
#NHL #TBLightning Sami Salo got a modified NMC and #RedWings Jonas Gustavsson a modified NTC.

TheDaysOf 04 is online now   Reply With Quote