HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Brophy: "Burke has the right idea"

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Kessley Snipes

vCash: 500
Every time I read a post by Disgruntled Observer, he always complain about how much money people make.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:52 PM
TorMapleJays

Burke wants this team to be good in 5 years, because if we can him next year and in 3 years we win the divison. the replacement gm will get the praise yet all his picks were burkes.

Thats why I like Burke. He has pride, and he doesnt like to lose.

He is stubborn and is doing whats best for the club current with the future in mind.

You Want play offs.

He/I want a cup

Old
07-03-2012, 07:52 PM
RogerRoeper*

People just want the excitement of the Leafs signing a big star on July 1st. It's boring and disappointing seeing nothing happen.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

So far, the future is looking bright for us, Burke has done a fine job drafting, getting rid of dead/useless waste and trading for good young prospects/players(I had call him top 5 in this regard), stocking up the cup-board with solid young and talented prospects in the minors that could do some serious damage in a few years, etc. The only real questionable move he has made so far are the UFA signings(especially the Americans ).

I would really like to see him shed some salary and make a legit room for young guns with likes of Kadri, Frattin, D'amigo who are knocking on the door for a long time now. But overall, I had say, he has done a pretty good job, much better than our previous GM's.

Though, one has to understand that this is either his make or break year as a GM because if he doesn't fulfill his promise of getting us into the play-offs, he is goner,IMO.

Last edited by Fearless Leaf*: 07-03-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Kirkpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
Nothing.
I, and you might want to bookmark this, am happy with what Burke did.
My point is, most hockey fans are happy with their GM when he does something GREAT.
But Burke`s been so ridiculously bad with the leafs, that us fans are happy at the simple fact that he did NOTHING. That he didn`t **** things up like he usually does.

So I say, without my usual hints of sarcasm, GO BURKE!!!
Thank you for not ****ing things up. At least for one day. In fact, please, don`t even bother showing up to your job anymore.
If only there was a pride parade every day.
It would help our organization out immensely.
Fair enough. I'll give you honest kudos for not claiming that something other than "Mr. Nothing" Jay McClement would have been the answer (see: those posters complaining about not somehow forcing Parise/Suter/Prust/etc. to sign with the Leafs when they don't want to).

As for the rest, I'm just tired of dwelling on the past. I don't care what happened two, three, four, ten, or twenty-two* years ago anymore. What has happened has happened, and whether you or I or Burke would do things differently just doesn't matter, because I'm cheering for the Leafs through thick and thin regardless of who's watching from the gondola. I can't wait for October to roll around so I can watch whatever crew the GM and coach have assembled represent the blue and white so that I can cheer on my team for another season.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:00 PM
HellasLEAF
I want Capt'n Crunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
People just want the excitement of the Leafs signing a big star on July 1st. It's boring and disappointing seeing nothing happen.
thank you.

and Burke has stated over and over again that his significant upgrades will come via trade this offseason. trades of that nature take time. someone has to blink. I'm sure there are some damn good players Burke could pull the trigger on right now, but then everyone will complain how we have been ripped off.

let's all go outside and enjoy the sun and I'm sure something good will come of it in time.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blader258 View Post
Every time I read a post by Disgruntled Observer, he always complain about how much money people make.
I think I asked him before what he would rather spend the money on (or who he would rather spend the money on, can't remember) and I think I got ignored. One of those people who will bash ideas and moves that are done without offering up any other alternatives that are better.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:07 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
It is a fair question but I find people say Burke was unlucky with the Giguere trade or Komisarek signing (or in hindsight it was bad or didn't work out). And Burke was brilliant with the Lupul/Gardiner trade. But, how come he gets credit for the good trades/signings but its luck/hindsight for the bad trade/signings. I would rather measure Burke on the results and similarly.

Either he did well on Lupul and got the Giggy trade (or Komi/Lebda signing) wrong.
Or in hindsight he was lucky on Lupul trade and unlucky on the Giggy trade (or Komi/Lebda signing) .
quinn still refers to his Mccauly/Nolan as a good one but with unlucky circumstances.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:08 PM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
That`s my point.
Burke has done such a pathetic job in the past, that by literally doing NOTHING on July 1 2012, most leafs fans are ecstatic.
Hey, at least he didn`t **** things up like he usually does.
GO BURKE!!!!
Your blind rage absolutely clouds your view of reality.

What's the point of starring out F-bombs in your post, when you could use big boy words, and not make yourself out to be a boorish little pratt in the process?

Old
07-03-2012, 08:15 PM
NewFang

Quote:
Yeah, so Burke ****ed up last year as opposed to this year.
That`s how bad things have gotten with Burke.
Leafs fans now applaud him for simply not making his usual mistakes.
Our team isn`t any better... but at least Burke didn`t **** up our future again.
GO BURKE!!!!
He didn't **** up last year either. Connelly was a stop gap, and the fact that he only gave him 2 years is a good thing. A mistake is signing a guy to some crazy 10+ year contract, and that's what tends to happen on July 1.

Who exactly did you want him to sign? Is it your expectation that he pull a 1C out of his ass?

Old
07-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Corleone

Send a message via MSN to Corleone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
oh would you?

why so?

you like his 1 appearance in the playoffs in 14 seasons?

maybe you prefer his lack of consistency.

tell us.
Because he is the better player... actually I'd rather neither.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:22 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

so far:

-acquired JVR for Schenn (i'm sorry but Schenn has struggled for the majority of the time he's been a leaf)
-signed Rynnas (1 year deal)
-signed Frattin (2 year deal)
-bought out Armstrong (a very disappointing tenure with the Leafs partly because of injury)
-drafted good prospects in Finn and Reilly
-signed McClement to a 2 year deal (our PK needed improvement)

feel free to fill in anything i missed, but what is there to complain about?

Old
07-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
so far:

-acquired JVR for Schenn (i'm sorry but Schenn has struggled for the majority of the time he's been a leaf)
-signed Rynnas (1 year deal)
-signed Frattin (2 year deal)
-bought out Armstrong (a very disappointing tenure with the Leafs partly because of injury)
-drafted good prospects in Finn and Reilly
-signed McClement to a 2 year deal (our PK needed improvement)

feel free to fill in anything i missed, but what is there to complain about?
- I'm happy with it, filled a need.
- I was shocked at how cheaply we got him, I was sure that we would be giving him a raise to the 1.5m-2m range.
- I don't like this move. I would have rather had the 3m on the cap this year than 1m for 2 more years. We don't appear to need to need all the cap space we can get this coming season so I would have preferred to get it out of the way. But Burke may have some big moves coming up and we will need the cap room for all we know. I can understand why Burke did it though, he is a man of morals and Armstrong would have been in pressbox every night or in the minors. Buying him out gives Armstrong a chance to play, I wish we just put him on reentry waivers or something to move him instead though.
- McClement signing just adds more depth really to me, can't complain about a 1.5m cap hit that could possibly really improve our PK, I remember Dupuis coming in though and we all know what happened there. I will wait for hindsight to offer my opinion on this one haha. For now it's just meh for me.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:30 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
See... this is where leafs fans completely and utterly lack perspective.

Burke inherited a team that missed the playoffs 3 seasons in a row. Then Burke followed that up by missing the playoffs 4 seasons in a row.

With all of that combined, our prospects and young players should be elite, ala Edmonton (a rebuild done correctly).

If the leafs had squeezed into a playoff position for the past 4 seasons, I would expect our prospects to look similar to what they currently are. Mediocre. You finish at a mediocre position in the standings, you by and large get mediocre prospects (of course there are rare exceptions, rather than rules, so don`t bother pointing that out).

But the leafs have finished bottom 10 four years in a row. A 2nd freaking overall pick, 5th, 7th, and 9th.
Yet only have mediocre prospects to show for it, considering where they`ve placed in the standings.
Of course our prospects are better now than when Burke took over. That`s not really saying much. WE`VE FINISHED BOTTOM 10 FOUR YEARS IN A ROW. OF COURSE OUR PROSPECTS WILL IMPROVE.

But it`s how much they`ve improved that is the question. If this team was GM`d by a donkey, and I mean literally the barn yard animal, our prospects would be about as mediocre as they are now.
Let alone our apparant upgrade of a donkey, the highest paid GM in league history, with the highest paid scouting department in league history, with the highest paid front office in league history.
Once all of that is added into the equation, Burke`s reign of terror starts to look flat out humiliating.

If the plan was to finish bottom 10 four years in a row, why not take the ****ing Edmonton approach and have a flat out elite young team going into the future as opposed to the mediocre mess Burke has assembled.
I agree, you completely lack perspective

Old
07-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Yeah, Olli Jokinen is such a stiff. Let's look at the dumbest statistic possible - number of playoff series played - and ignore his having put up 50+ points every season in the past 10 years.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:35 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Flavour View Post
Yeah, Olli Jokinen is such a stiff. Let's look at the dumbest statistic possible - number of playoff series played - and ignore his having put up 50+ points every season in the past 10 years.
"Statistics: Why YOU are not the GM"

Old
07-03-2012, 08:35 PM
SuperJayMann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboknows View Post
I think a lot of people on here will be surprised with tim connoly this year... he has the talent to be the #1 centre, it just didn't come together last year.
He should have a good season, last year of his contract.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:37 PM
BrannigansLaw

Looking at that roster makes me want to puke. Replace crap with crap and reclamation project with another reclamation project. Rinse and repeat.

At least we have our pick this year.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJayMann View Post
He should have a good season, last year of his contract.
I am ashamed to admit this, but this is what I thought about Kulimen before this past season started. I thought he would be the player who would get the most goals for us this season because it was his contract year

Old
07-03-2012, 08:43 PM
TorMapleJays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
I ashamed to admit this, but this is what I thought about Kulimen before this past season started. I thought he would be the player who would get the most goals for us this season because it was his contract year
NOW THAT he sucked out, we got him for cheaper, and maybe JVR and Grabbo get going, honestly Mac all he did was pick up the puck on the side wall and just hit grabbo as he flew by and went to the net.

Kulie was a deer in headlights, wouldnt shoot, pass first it just seemed like he was trying to set up because he doesnt believe in his shot anymore.

Bounce back year. and it wont cost us millions MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old
07-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMapleJays View Post
NOW THAT he sucked out, we got him for cheaper, and maybe JVR and Grabbo get going, honestly MacT all he did was pick up the puck on the side wall and just hit grabbo as he flew by and went to the net.

Kulie was a deer in headlights, wouldnt shoot, pass first it just seemed like he was trying to set up because he doesnt believe in his shot anymore.

Bounce back year. and it wont cost us millions MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
It isn't a bad thing for us now that he will sign cheaper, but to be honest I still would have preferred him to get 30+ goals and help us make us the playoffs instead haha. Just hope that he bounces back and gets 20+ goals next season. Anything above 15 I would be happy with though.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Swervin81
aka LeafsSharksBoy

Quote:
oh would you?

why so?

you like his 1 appearance in the playoffs in 14 seasons?

maybe you prefer his lack of consistency.

tell us.
How is it his fault for the lack of playoff appearances? Much like Jay Bouwmeester and and Stephen Weiss, they have had bad luck when it comes to being on playoff contending teams. Of course, when you've wasted most of your career with the Panthers, it's not much of a surprise.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:12 PM
iPunch
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Flavour View Post
50 point isn't that impressive. We have 50 point centers.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:25 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Without the injury problems, which is actually a pretty useful player.
Yeah he's highly unlikely to get injured.

He's also pretty underrated. His lowest point total since his days of 70 plus in Florida, has been 50 and he did that on some pretty bad offensive teams. He's also learned to play an effective two way game.

He's not a top line player but he's a good second line guy.

That's why he wouldn't fit on the Leafs. We need a 1st line guy, not an aging 2nd line guy.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:34 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
50 point isn't that impressive. We have 50 point centers.
He is a big body, good 2 way defender and would work better with Kessel than a more fragile and weaker centre. If both were available I would go with Ollie, that said, he is no more than another temporary situation. What would be even better is a 1C.

Closed Thread