HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oscar Klefbom Thread | 10GP: 0G-3A-3PTS +7

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
im really concerned with fighting hard to get him here for this season, and then 20 games in realizing hes in over his head.

just let him stay in sweden.
From Klefbom's comments, he's adamant he'll be back in Sweden this year, as he won't come over before he's absolutely sure he's ready.

So you're pretty much spot-on.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Wheatking

vCash: 500
Seems like a good kid. I like that he can analyze himself and talk about what he needs to work on with the media. I like that he's not in a hurry to come over to the NHL. He wants to be ready...and most importantly, I like that he's the type of person that wants to honour his contract in Sweden. He made a commitment to that team and he wants to see it through.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Soundwave

No need to rush him.

Schultz gets into the lineup next year.

Then Klefbom the year after.

Then Marincin/Gernat the year after that.

The dominos are all set up.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Edmonton so eager to have Klefbom in North America that Krüger more or less promised him NHL-minutes. ‪#Oilers
Quote:
Klefbom says himself that's it's a really tough decision and that he'll have to think about it

- Johan Eriksson

@VFeriksson

Sure, if he is the best defenseman during training camp and the pre-season, let him stay.

However, the Oilers cannot afford to run with two rookie defenseman, and a sophomore-- Petry.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
- Johan Eriksson

@VFeriksson

Sure, if he is the best defenseman during training camp and the pre-season, let him stay.

However, the Oilers cannot afford to run with two rookie defenseman, and a sophomore-- Petry.
Worked fine for the Caps with Alzner and Carlson. Or with the Rangers with MacDonagh and Del Zotto

I see what you're saying, but the player has to determine whether this is problem or not with his play.

I like the quotes and I hope we see him in camp and that there is a camp.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:04 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Krueger more or less promised him NHL minutes? That's pretty irresponsible if true considering that Klefbom hasn't even attended a main training camp.
I guess it wouldn't be harmful to have him at training camp to see how he NHL ready he might be but to basically promise him NHL minutes? I don't get it.
I don't see any reason why they shouldn't keep him in Sweden for another season, they need to just stay the course and not rush this. Klef will be more than ready by '13-'14.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:05 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
- Johan Eriksson

@VFeriksson

It could be as 1st injury call up instead of full time. I still think it's best for him to come to training camp, perhaps get 9 games and then go back to Sweden til next summer. But I suppose a 30/70 NHL/AHL split could be good too. I just want to make sure we don't stunt any potential offense he could have by rushing him.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Moneypuck

Klefbom would be a throw in on a possible Shea Weber deal. The Oilers need blueline help now rather than a couple/three seasons down the road. Selling the farm of current availables to Poile would put all the Oilers blueline concerns in the rear view mirror.

Klefbom may be too little too late as far as Oiler interests go. If Suter leaves the Predators at the alter, that would make Webers decision a whole lot easier if he's considering seeking greener pastures.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:23 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Klefbom is on another level!

bring him in.

Sign Barch and DJ King.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:25 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypuck View Post
Klefbom would be a throw in on a possible Shea Weber deal. The Oilers need blueline help now rather than a couple/three seasons down the road. Selling the farm of current availables to Poile would put all the Oilers blueline concerns in the rear view mirror.

Klefbom may be too little too late as far as Oiler interests go. If Suter leaves the Predators at the alter, that would make Webers decision a whole lot easier if he's considering seeking greener pastures.
wow

klefbom on the verge of playing for us and he's too late
plus we'd never get Weber

Old
07-03-2012, 09:46 PM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 50
How many minutes is he playing over in Sweden?
I would personally like to see him in the AHL next year if he can get as many or more minutes than he does in Sweden

Old
07-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Moneypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
wow

klefbom on the verge of playing for us and he's too late
plus we'd never get Weber
It must've been the 2 pts, in each of the last two full seasons that won you over, was it?

Old
07-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
It must've been the 2 pts, in each of the last two full seasons that won you over, was it?
So you just don't like him then? Ok, strange, but ok.

On that logic, this kid who got 11pts (5g, 6a) in 52gp in the Allsv & SEL in 2008/09 must be pretty underwhelming. He played with Boras & Frolunda

Old
07-03-2012, 10:30 PM
oil slick

Quote:
Karlsson had 1 and 5 goal seasons at the same age in the SEL... apparently dominating the SEL at 18 isn't a prerequisite for 78 points in the NHL.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:31 PM
SDig14

Seems unlikely Ralph would promise Klefbom minutes, considering they wouldn't even guarantee minutes for Schultz and he is older and a needed RH shot.

I am fine if Klefbom plays in the NHL next year, as long as he earns it in camp and proves he is clearly a top 5 guy on this team.

If he is a 6/7 guy, let him play in Sweden or the AHL where he can get 20 minutes a night and then let him come in next year.

There is really no rush.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Seems unlikely Ralph would promise Klefbom minutes, considering they wouldn't even guarantee minutes for Schultz and he is older and a needed RH shot.

I am fine if Klefbom plays in the NHL next year, as long as he earns it in camp and proves he is clearly a top 5 guy on this team.

If he is a 6/7 guy, let him play in Sweden or the AHL where he can get 20 minutes a night and then let him come in next year.

There is really no rush.
My sense is the translation didn't come through, instead of being a "promise of NHL time" maybe it's more a "promise to have a chance for NHL time", as opposed to just being ear marked for the AHL.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:56 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
No, just the fact that everyone aside from you believes he will be a good NHL player and he hasn't even had a chance to prove himself in the NHL yet.

Don't think it's wise to think of him as a "throw-in"

Old
07-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

I'd rather we be patient with him and let him go back to the SEL this year. I don't doubt that he could take shifts in the NHL right now, but I'd like to see him round out his offensive game before we throw him into the deep end of the pool.

07-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Wheatking

Quote:

I doubt Weber even considers Edmonton.

...and I'd trade Schultz before Klefbom. Everything I've heard about the kid is impressive. Everything he says is impressive. Everything I watched him do at the development camp yesterday(won every single battle) was impressive. Dustin Nielson saying that 4 of 5 scouts that he asked think Klefbom will be better than Murray doesn't hurt either.

Klefbom isn't too late. He's one more season away from being an NHL regular at 20 years old. I don't see the point in bringing him in next season though. Why rush things? He'll be our 6th Dman. Why not let him receive good minutes in the SEL? Kruger can shelter Schultz this season and then shelter Klefbom in 2013-14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post

There is really no rush.
I know they're saying that but I don't believe it at all.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:26 PM
belair

I'm pretty split on whether or not I think he should be here. He is exactly what the Oilers should be targeting on the trade market: A Top-4, left-handed, puck moving defenseman.

And it's refreshing to see he's got the same idea that Anton Lander had when he was considering coming over. And even with that extra year in Sweden under his belt, Lander was still clearly mismatched in the NHL and will likely spend some more time in the AHL this upcoming season. That definitely gives Klefbom something to think about.

But with the trade market currently at a stand-still, the Oilers may have limited options as to what they can do to fill that hole in their roster.

If that deal isn't there this summer, what's better: Bringing in Klefbom this season or giving Cam Barker a second wind on a one-year deal?

Old
07-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
I'm pretty split on whether or not I think he should be here. He is exactly what the Oilers should be targeting on the trade market: A Top-4, left-handed, puck moving defenseman.

And it's refreshing to see he's got the same idea that Anton Lander had when he was considering coming over. And even with that extra year in Sweden under his belt, Lander was still clearly mismatched in the NHL and will likely spend some more time in the AHL this upcoming season. That definitely gives Klefbom something to think about.

But with the trade market currently at a stand-still, the Oilers may have limited options as to what they can do to fill that hole in their roster.

If that deal isn't there this summer, what's better: Bringing in Klefbom this season or giving Cam Barker a second wind on a one-year deal?
Is this a serious question? It's Klefbom and it's NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:33 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Lazy Oilers management... not wanting to go out and procure a solid defenseman through trade.

Honestly if he's looking good enough to be in the top 6 then and only then should he be an option. We saw what happened with Larsson and Klefbom is just 18 still (shortly 19). I'd prefer he developed another year in Sweden but if the coaches/management think he's ready then obviously he should get a long look.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Lazy Oilers management... not wanting to go out and procure a solid defenseman through trade.

Honestly if he's looking good enough to be in the top 6 then and only then should he be an option. We saw what happened with Larsson and Klefbom is just 18 still (shortly 19). I'd prefer he developed another year in Sweden but if the coaches/management think he's ready then obviously he should get a long look.
Giving him the look doesn't hurt you at all, because Sweden is still an option.

And I would guess the Oilers might be waiting to see how "things" shake out

Old
07-03-2012, 11:44 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Giving him the look doesn't hurt you at all, because Sweden is still an option.

And I would guess the Oilers might be waiting to see how "things" shake out

Well they should just tell him... "We're hoping to get something better in a trade, but if plan A, B, C, D, E and F don't work out... you are our #7 option and we really want you on the Oilers to help our anaemic blueline out."

Old
07-04-2012, 12:24 AM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Is this a serious question? It's Klefbom and it's NOT EVEN CLOSE.
It's not a question as to who you'd rather have - It's an honest question as to whether you'd want two rookie defensemen in your top-six over bringing in a stop-gap, low-cost alternative. Another possible downside to the former is the decision potentially having a negative effect on the development of one of your top prospects.

And with stop-gap being the keyword in the alternative solution, it definitely limits your options when going the UFA route. Matt Carle is likely seeking a long-term deal. So just browsing, the only options available for potential one-year deals for an offensive defenseman are Cam Barker and Chris Campoli.

Either of these guys are at an all-time low value, so their cap numbers will be low.

In going this route, you run the risk of either of them basically replicating Barker's season last year. In that case, he sits in the pressbox or is outright waived and you bring in call-ups to fill the void. If, in the instance that they play well, you've either got yourself a player going into the postseason , or an asset to move at the trade deadline.

Of course I want them to trade off some bulk and bring in a Bouwmeester, a Meszaros, or a Yandle, but things don't always go the way you want them to.

Hope that cleared up my intention.

Closed Thread