HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Taylor Pyatt (2 years @ $1.55 million per)

Old
07-03-2012, 08:49 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Its depth, its size, and net presence.

Will help fill the holes left by Prust and Feds.

Ok now we have enough bottom depth Glen - lets get some more scoring and another defenseman.

Lost a little speed with this signing though, which i don't like. But its a trade off for size.

Rupp - Boyle - Pyatt is a nice 4th line but will have problems if they go against speedier lines (like 80% of the lines in the NHL)

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:52 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
For those of you in the know..how's Pyatt's mobility? I remember him being decently mobile, not fast but not slow, but that was from years ago when he came up with the Islanders and Sabres.

Supersonic-What do you think of Brett Clark? I think he'd be a good value pick up. Can eat up minutes and blocks shots. Cap hit last year was 1.5 I give him 1.95.

I really think Hrivik makes the team. He's under the radar but one of those guys who just plays and plays well in whatever level he's at and just fits right in. He did fine in Hartford and fine in Development Camp. He's also a little older than a typical prospect. If he can score 15 goals, huge bonus.
What's your views on Clark WPB?

BigDaddyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
wtf r u watching he protects the puck very well when i watch and that means he uses his size. Ya he not very mean and doesent hit much but he protects the puck which means he possesses the puck.
I heard the same thing about Rupp, but he has no talent at all. I expect Pyatt to have a similar presence.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:54 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Great signing. He brings EXACTLY what you want out of a bottom six player for EXACTLY the right price. Can't see how anyone is complaining about this at all.

So, in my view this now leaves us with:

Unquestioned top six:
Richards
Gaborik
Stepan
Callahan

Swing players:
Kreider
Hagelin
Dubinsky
Anisimov

Unquestioned bottom six:
Boyle
Pyatt
Asham
Rupp
Haley

And that's without counting any kids who may impress in camp or any additional signings.

Without focusing on any one player as a specific replacement for another, we have clearly amassed a surplus of excellent depth players. As-is, they represent a squad in the top 25-33% of the league, especially given the talent on the backend. Having said that, with the backlog Slats has amassed - and at the low cap number - the team is clearly set to make a move, ESPECIALLY if they add another forward (like many, I would love to see Mueller on a good deal).

Great work so far. Very curious to see what happens next.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I wish we just had one more player in the middle group.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Take away "can't possess puck" and add "can't score" and you have John Mitchell.

I don't know how you can argue Pyatt is less useful than Mitchell. AT THE ABSOLUTE WORST, he's just as "good."

He's better than Mitchell, dude.
Disagree. I guess we'll see next season. We're going to be a worse team IMO.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:01 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Only way we'll be a worse team is if Gabby's injury impedes him. Losing Prust and Mitchell won't have any impact.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:02 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
How are we going to be a worse team? Whether or not you believe Pyatt is worse than Mitchell, we're talking about cosmetic changes to the team that finished in the top 4 in the league.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Tell me you're not seriously suggesting we will be a worse team because Johnny "useless" Mitchell isn't on the team anymore? If so, I'm gonna die of laughter.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:10 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Can he play both wings?

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:12 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyNYR View Post
What's your views on Clark WPB?
I like Clark. He is 35 so they'd have to be careful with a contract, but he's value.

He played all 82 games last year for a mediocre Tampa team and averaged 18:23 of ice time. He had 199 blocked shots and threw 118 hits. He was a -26 but Tampa was pretty bad last year.

He's a lefty shot unfortunately.

It's all about depth and if this guy can give 15 good minutes a night and give the top 4 a little bit of a break, not a bad signing. He should cost about $2 million for two years at most. Worst case scenario he's a very expensive 6th or 7th DMan.

But Asham + Pyatt + one of Huselius/Mueller + Clark is less than Parise and Nash.

I do agree this team might regress a little this season and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get back to the ECF but that's because the UFA class next summer is much better plus next year is most likely when Miller/Lindberg/Fast/etc. have a chance to make the team.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

Pyatt might have size on paper but he sure doesn't know how to use it on the ice, and is scared to hit anything. That's the biggest issue we saw with him in phoenix, also he will take many nights off. When he does show up hes alright.

Swat Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

What a great pickup I freaking love Taylor Pyatt, there's your Prust replacement ladies and gents! Wooo!

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Vitto79

I have read people saying he;s fast others say hes slow.........what the heck is he?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:52 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I have read people saying he;s fast others say hes slow.........what the heck is he?
From what I just saw he definitely doesn't look fast but he doesn't look slow either. He might be suffering from Nik Antropov Syndrome where you are so big and take huge strides and go normal/fast speed but it looks like you're skating in mud.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:52 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I wish we just had one more player in the middle group.
Wishing for Shane Doan. Hits, scores, and a leader.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

I'm playing the Yotes on Be a Pro in NHL 12 right now. Pyatt just scored.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I think Hagelin has been available for a deal all along. Like the kid a lot and think he'll be a solid NHL player for many years but if you want to bring back a high end LW like Nash or Ryan, he's got to be a primary piece. Trade target and Kreider will be the top two LWs next year. He's the one young, cheap proven NHL piece the Rangers can sacrafice without digging another hole. You can't declare the whole team off limits and then hope to make a major trade. I still think Anisimov+Hagelin+#1 pick for Ryan is the best and most logical trade out there. Gives Anaheim plenty of assets to go find a center if they don't like Artie in the middle.
Totally agree with you there, I think Hagelin was one of the kids Torts was referring to when he said there were somethings he didn't like seeing out there during the playoffs. Hags dogged it on some back checks, did not block shots, and in games the rangers could have taken leads in the series, Hagelin played like he wanted his season to end. Artie made mistakes trying to do too much. Anaheim wants a 2nd line center and another top six forward for Ryan without taking on salary, I think this is the deal that ends up getting made as well.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Watching PHX a bunch in the playoffs, Pyatt played well.

If he plays anything like that he will be a welcome addition to the bottom half of the roster. This team needs depth there and he certainly provides that.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:06 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I think Hagelin has been available for a deal all along. Like the kid a lot and think he'll be a solid NHL player for many years but if you want to bring back a high end LW like Nash or Ryan, he's got to be a primary piece. Trade target and Kreider will be the top two LWs next year. He's the one young, cheap proven NHL piece the Rangers can sacrafice without digging another hole. You can't declare the whole team off limits and then hope to make a major trade. I still think Anisimov+Hagelin+#1 pick for Ryan is the best and most logical trade out there. Gives Anaheim plenty of assets to go find a center if they don't like Artie in the middle.
So what did we learn today?

Pat Leonard reads the boards for story ideas.

(BTW I'm not coaching here but the first guy that hired me as a GM in minors also gave Torts' his first coaching job)

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:20 AM
egelband

i just like that this guy has a brother in the league and can somehow manage to be on a different team.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
I think Pyatt will surprise a lot of people. He's a good hockey player and helps to fill in the bottom six nicely.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:04 AM
bouds

It'll be hard to be a better team than last season's, at least in the regular season. Can only go down. Won't be because we lost Mitchell however. Puck possession isn't the only stat, but it's the only on Kershaw's focusing on. No finish, can't pass, pretty decent face off guy, thats about it.

Who knew that John Mitchelll was the glue keeping it all together. ****ing hell.

bouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouds View Post
It'll be hard to be a better team than last season's, at least in the regular season. Can only go down. Won't be because we lost Mitchell however. Puck possession isn't the only stat, but it's the only on Kershaw's focusing on. No finish, can't pass, pretty decent face off guy, thats about it.

Who knew that John Mitchelll was the glue keeping it all together. ****ing hell.
With Johnny Malkin and PAP, Colorado is definitely my Cup favorite for next year.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:12 AM
Edge

You know it's the offseason around here when fourth line, 10 goal scores generate hundreds of comments.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote