HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers Free Agency 2012!

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 07:52 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Panthers have signed Jean-François Jacques. News to me?

Another 4th liner?
Scrub player. AHLer that could get called up but likely not.

DT seems more concerned with San Antonio than with the big club.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Pretty good fighter, will be mostly in the A. Big boy, I like him as a 4th line call-up.

07-03-2012, 09:13 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

GR just said on his Twitter that he too thinks we are worse as of today.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
3 months left...

Old
07-03-2012, 09:22 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
3 months left...
I know but Laus you know me! NO patience!!

Old
07-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
It was I who asked him.

George Richards ‏@GeorgeRichards

today? Worse. Lost some good pieces “@GPANTHER: Your opinion, as of today, Cats better, same or worse than at the end of last season?”

Old
07-03-2012, 09:39 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

what is starting to piss me off is the fact that parise and suter have not signed yet. You are telling me that they didn't know before hand what teams would make offers so they could have contemplated before july 1st? Those guys are acting like giant stop plugs stopping the flood of free agent signing that should have happened sunday.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:41 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
It was I who asked him.

George Richards ‏@GeorgeRichards

today? Worse. Lost some good pieces “@GPANTHER: Your opinion, as of today, Cats better, same or worse than at the end of last season?”
keyword today not october 13th when we actually play our first game. relax.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:44 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
what is starting to piss me off is the fact that parise and suter have not signed yet. You are telling me that they didn't know before hand what teams would make offers so they could have contemplated before july 1st? Those guys are acting like giant stop plugs stopping the flood of free agent signing that should have happened sunday.
They are making decisions that will affect the rest of their lives. I'd be taking a long ass time, too.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:45 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
3 months left...
We are worse defensively IMO. And I'm in a state of panic about our offense. We already couldn't score and now we're even worse. Not to mention Theodore is a year older and I'm certainly not expecting Clemmenson to be anywhere near as good as he was last season. We may need Huberdeau to learn quick and Markstrom to come in and go on a hot streak if we want to have any chance of not being a lottery team. I was extremely critical of Versteeg last year because he was streaky all year and I went as far as saying I think we should just let him go and find a replacement. But seeing the free agent list now, I'm thinking we should do anything at all costs to lock him up long term.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:50 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
They are making decisions that will affect the rest of their lives. I'd be taking a long ass time, too.
They could have took a long ass time back when their respective season's ended and done us all a big favor.

It seems that every season the trade deadline, draft, and free agent day keep getting less and less exciting. I need to start lowering my expectations for excitement.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
We are worse defensively IMO. And I'm in a state of panic about our offense. We already couldn't score and now we're even worse. Not to mention Theodore is a year older and I'm certainly not expecting Clemmenson to be anywhere near as good as he was last season. We may need Huberdeau to learn quick and Markstrom to come in and go on a hot streak if we want to have any chance of not being a lottery team. I was extremely critical of Versteeg last year because he was streaky all year and I went as far as saying I think we should just let him go and find a replacement. But seeing the free agent list now, I'm thinking we should do anything at all costs to lock him up long term.
Now we're about the same unless you're expecting Huberdeau to absolutely suck. We lost Samuelsson who put up 28 points in 48 regular season games. Big deal.

Even if Garrison would've been kept, our offense still would've been worse because he likely wasn't going to do the same thing again.
Garrison didn't want to sign here and Tallon brought in a pretty good replacement in Kuba. About the best he could do.

It is a similar team with 3 months left to make moves.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Georgia Panther

It just seems to me that DT has decided to take a step back this year to develop some of his top prospects at the NHL level and their development will determine what significant moves need to be made to be a contender. He may think last season's appearance in the Playoffs was ahead of his schedule and he can afford to take a season to grow some young players. Long term that's probably a smart move but you pay a short term price. You kill whatever momentum you built with the fan base by making the Playoffs. I saw it happen in Atlanta. They finally made the Playoffs after years and then didn't build on it. While I don't fear relocation as what happened to Atlanta, I do feel a non-playoff season will kill off a lot of the good feeling about the team from the fan base that was built last season.

Last edited by Georgia Panther: 07-03-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 09:54 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
It just seems to me that DT has decided to take a step back this year to develop some of his top prospects at the NHL level and their development will determine what significant moves need to be made to be a contender. He may think last season's appearance in the Playoffs was ahead of his schedule and he can afford to take a season to grow some young players. Long term that's probably a smart move but you pay a short term price. You kill whatever momentum you built with the fan base by making the Playoffs. I saw it happen in Atlanta. They finally made the Playoffs after years and then didn't build on it. While I don't feel relocation as what happened to Atlanta, I do feel a non-playoff season will kill off a lot of the good feeling about the team from the fan base that was built last season.
I agree with you that it was well ahead of schedule that we made the playoffs and our goal should not be to rush things. It might kill momentum but as you said its most likely the smarter strategic plan.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:01 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Now we're about the same unless you're expecting Huberdeau to absolutely suck. We lost Samuelsson who put up 28 points in 48 regular season games. Big deal.

Even if Garrison would've been kept, our offense still would've been worse because he likely wasn't going to do the same thing again.
Garrison didn't want to sign here and Tallon brought in a pretty good replacement in Kuba. About the best he could do.

It is a similar team with 3 months left to make moves.
I agree Kuba was probably the best defenseman we could have gotten via free agency.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:03 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
It just seems to me that DT has decided to take a step back this year to develop some of his top prospects at the NHL level and their development will determine what significant moves need to be made to be a contender. He may think last season's appearance in the Playoffs was ahead of his schedule and he can afford to take a season to grow some young players. Long term that's probably a smart move but you pay a short term price. You kill whatever momentum you built with the fan base by making the Playoffs. I saw it happen in Atlanta. They finally made the Playoffs after years and then didn't build on it. While I don't fear relocation as what happened to Atlanta, I do feel a non-playoff season will kill off a lot of the good feeling about the team from the fan base that was built last season.
Ending our ridiculous playoff streak has definetly taken a lot of the pressure off Tallon and our organization. I can definetly see this being a transition year for our prospects.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:14 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Which is why I keep saying that it's just two days and they can't be done. They have hundreds of club dead seats to sell, never mind nonrenewals. It makes no sense they would stop here with what most admit is clearly a weaker team. They won't make such a poor business decision. They won't make the same mistake Atlanta made. Although one year went a ways to wipe a decade of disaster away, there's far from enough goodwill buit here to step back.

So I wait. Impatiently. But I wait.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:16 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Which is why I keep saying that it's just two days and they can't be done. They have hundreds of club dead seats to sell, never mind nonrenewals. It makes no sense they would stop here with what most admit is clearly a weaker team. They won't make such a poor business decision. They won't make the same mistake Atlanta made. Although one year went a ways to wipe a decade of disaster away, there's far from enough goodwill buit here to step back.

So I wait. Impatiently. But I wait.
AG if you want to hear skepticism do you think we are a playoff team even if we sign lets say optimistically semin and mueller? We still would borderline playoff team fighting right down to the very last game.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:20 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Quote:
They could have took a long ass time back when their respective season's ended and done us all a big favor.

It seems that every season the trade deadline, draft, and free agent day keep getting less and less exciting. I need to start lowering my expectations for excitement.
They didn't know the specifics of the deals they were offered until July 1.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:22 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
They could care less about making decisions quicker for our entertainment

Old
07-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Erick

Quote:
He has said in the past that he felt like the team overachieved last year, especially at the beginning with all the new players.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:28 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Well in NHL 12 the free agents take till the 4th, so they aren't stop plugs, yet.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:38 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
They could care less about making decisions quicker for our entertainment
The only thing stopping them from making decisions quick is Parise and Suter taking their sweet time.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:51 PM
pantherbot

I would say our team is on par with last year's team as of this moment.

Kuba, improved Gudbranson, and improved Kulikov should more than make up for the missing Garrison so defense is about the same. Strachan likely replaces Ellerby as the 7th dman and that is arguably an upgrade.

For the forwards, our top line is the same except I think we'll see a better season out of Versteeg. He was playing hurt the last half, so that isn't the Versteeg we should expect which means there is upside to our first line. Him and Flash have also never been in first-line roles before, so I would expect last year's experience to help them prepare for this year.

Behind them, Samuelson will be missed, but I'm thinking Huberdeau should replace some of that and a healthier Upshall should be a benefit as well. Let's also not forget that Goc was very good when not hurt last season and a full season from him would be a big help.

In goal we may be a bit worse if Theo and Clemmer aren't able to sustain last year's form, but I don't think it will be drastically different.

Of course I'd like to add a first/second line center or a top-six forward, but the roster we have is comparable to last year's and has the potential to be better without some of the injuries we had and some improvement from our players (which is not that much of a stretch). Dineen also has another year under his belt which should be a plus. We were usually competitive, and I see no reason why basically the same team, having played a year together, would regress.

Sure I'm a bit worried that our division has improved, but it's not like we trampled our division last season and scored easy points, a lot of those points came from other teams that are now a bit weaker. Also, even if we weren't division champs, we still would have been in the playoffs. I don't think it's a stretch to say that, with our current roster, we have a good chance to reach 95 points and get into the playoffs again.

Anything else added to our roster from this point onward is gravy.

Last edited by pantherbot: 07-03-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Haj

vCash: 50
Washington went through a prolonged slump, injury problems and a crappy year by Ovechkin.

Carolina had their best goal scorer out for most of the season.

They should be better this year, which will make us a borderline playoff team.

Granted, we had huge injury problems as well. But our most key player managed to stay healthy for the most part (Campbell)

We were fighting for the division and the last playoff up until the last game of the season.

Suppose we sign Semin, Jokinien and keep Garrison. That probably guarantee's us a playoff spot, but it is not enough to win a cup. They are all complementary players that fill roles.

To win a Cup we need elite talent. The only way to do that without overpaying is to develop our prospects.

Closed Thread