HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke on the Fan 590 at 5:20 p.m.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:34 PM
GoodNewfieBoy
Jim,coach Leafs too?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinBlake View Post
Two things about this interview tell me Tyler Bozak is done as a Leaf:

1). The fact that Burke is confident that he can upgrade the 1C position.
2). The fact that Jay McClement is going to be the 3C.

If true, I don't think this is the wisest decision. While he lacks finish, Bozie is a capable NHLer with a mere two seasons under his belt. With room to grow, he's a great passer, he's got a good shot when he uses it, and he can win a faceoff like the best of them. Most importantly, though, is the fact that he's best buds with Phil. Bozie gets dealt, Phil walks in 2014 IMO.

Bozak would be a good third line right winger. Stop worrying about things that you shouldn't be worrying about

GoodNewfieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
All I know is that if we were strictly talking about trading excess. the package for any upgrade would be something along there lines...

Connolly/Bozak
MacArthur/Kadri
Defensive prospect (Blacker?)

Now, I know we're ALL getting excited to hear burke talk about acquiring a number 1 centre, but, the reality of it is that he's been trying to get one since the day he became GM. Until he actually delivers, saying that he is talking to other GM's and that there is a lot of chatter is utterly pointless to us until something happens.

Additionally, if I remember correctly, the reason we paid Connolly 4.75 million a year is because he'd be the stop gap de-facto number 1 centre. I know a lot of people (Including me) were excited when he signed here because he'd be an upgrade over what we had, and his term was quite short. I hope we all remember that when he started playing for us, he played VERY well in-between Lupul and Kessel, so, perhaps, he can bounce back this year if the ever talked about "Number 1 centre" doesn't come here.

With all that said, my "Realistic" dream would be to have something like this...

Lupul - Wilson - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Frattin/Kulemin
Kadri/Mac - McClement - Frattin/Kulemin
Komarov - Stecks - Brown

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Holzer
Liles - Komi/Franson

Backstrom
Reimer

Granted, there would be no guarantee a lot of these guys would be on the roster due to the hypothetical trades for Wilson and Backstrom.
Wilson is not a #1 C that we need plus he is not very good on the defensive side(something u need as a C).

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodCanadianBoy View Post
Bozak would be a good third line right winger. Stop worrying about things that you shouldn't be worrying about
Or maybe he's going to trade Grabovski?

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
No, not a chance. What has he proven so far? The guy is looking more and more like a good 3rd liner than a top 6 C, he also had his fair share with Iginla on the top line and didn't do much.

If we are upgrading on C position. My guess is we're going after someone like Statsny or Krejci due to both Colarado and Boston's depth at C position. However, there could be other option out there as well that we haven't heard before.
Krejci's not going anywhere. Gladly give you Thomas tho.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
No chance, Grabo is the only legit top 6 C at the moment on our roster, getting rid of him now would make zero sense, this would be like filling one hole and creating another one.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Paladin2799

Quote:
No chance, Grabo is the only legit top 6 C at the moment on our roster, getting rid of him now would make zero sense, this would be like filling one hole and creating another one.
Bozak is definitely a strong candidate to be a solid #2 centerman.

If grabo is being moved, its for a legitimate #1 like getzlaf.

Paladin2799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:42 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Quote:
Agreed he's not the Flyers GM after all. Not just going to trade him after an extension. Besides he's a far better option as 2nd line center than Bozak.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:53 PM
GoodNewfieBoy
Jim,coach Leafs too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
I have my doubts. We will aee

GoodNewfieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Maximum Cheddar

My point is that rival gms are gonna want Grabovski over Bozak. Do you think it realistic that a gm would want a third line caliber center over a second line caliber center.

Maximum Cheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:00 PM
colchar
The Keon Curse Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Old Gregggg View Post

prayyyyyying for backstrom from washington if that rumour from last night is true

Which rumour was that?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:23 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

At the end of the interview I was surprised that Burke said he could still upgrade their Centre and Goalie position via trade. So I thought maybe we will see a deal that no one saw coming, the way the Phaneuf and Lupul/Gardiner trades were a complete shock when they happened.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:30 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
At the end of the interview I was surprised that Burke said he could still upgrade their Centre and Goalie position via trade. So I thought maybe we will see a deal that no one saw coming, the way the Phaneuf and Lupul/Gardiner trades were a complete shock when they happened.
Burke tends to overpromise and under deliver so we may want to take what he said with a grain of salt.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
He was probably anxious to call that team back.
Other team on the phone? Can you say "smoke and mirrors"

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Pillsbury Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Krejci's not going anywhere. Gladly give you Thomas tho.
People keep throwing Thomas' name around here. I have a question. Is he not playing next year in general or specifically for the Bruins? If he got traded, has he specified that he would in fact play the upcoming season?

Pillsbury Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Vexed

Quote:
Originally Posted by departures89 View Post
People keep throwing Thomas' name around here. I have a question. Is he not playing next year in general or specifically for the Bruins? If he got traded, has he specified that he would in fact play the upcoming season?
He was specific saying that he wont be playing even if traded

Vexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Cheddar View Post
My point is that rival gms are gonna want Grabovski over Bozak. Do you think it realistic that a gm would want a third line caliber center over a second line caliber center.
did you check the cap hit and term of Bozak relative to Grabo? Grabo's amazing but you get waaaay more for the cap hit dollar in Bozak.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Vexed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
did you check the cap hit and term of Bozak relative to Grabo? Grabo's amazing but you get waaaay more for the cap hit dollar for Bozak.
Yea but that's not the most important part

Vexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Dio666

Stay the course Burke!

Dio666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:07 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
My synopsis for anyone who didn't catch it. Not really groundbreaking stuff.

-according to media, they would say we have holes in net.

-Identifies 1C as a required area to upgrade

-Not looking for unproven goalies (Bob posed a question that was clearly referring to Bernier)

-Not done in trade/free agency

-Won't make deals to overpay for someone, and thats what a lot of others are asking (seemed to be referring to Luongo here)

-discussed his concern with long-term deal. Will not do 10 year deals. Leaves too much risk on the organization, as anything could happen in that long of period. "A general managers tenure usually doesn't last those contracts" Its leaves the next guy with an even bigger mess.

-Discussed his issues with 'cap circumventing contracts'. Taking extra years on the end of a contract, that players don't intend to honour, in order to artificially lower the cap. Clarified his positions that he is against them, and reminded that he has testified against such deals to the league

-mentions Coaching, that no one was calling for the firing of Wilson in February in a playoff spot (a lot were, IMO)
But Carlyle will not trap or be a defensive team, more of a cycling, grinding team, much more physical

-But overall belevies he can upgrade the 1G and 1C (answered with an unequivocal "yes")

-talked about not being so active July 1st, admitted past mistakes by over committing to players in the past

mentioned teams that were very active and spend, are now contacting the teams who didn't spend much, for deals relating to $

-Was actually on the phone with another team just moments before the interview.
Okay, so should we hold him to this?

If we don't see that 1st. line center, do we just say no problem or do we hold him accountable for the words that come out of his mouth.

I know people like to claim whatever he says can't be repeated because it is always taken out of context, but when do we say enough bullcrap, deliver results?

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
No, not a chance. What has he proven so far? The guy is looking more and more like a good 3rd liner than a top 6 C, he also had his fair share with Iginla on the top line and didn't do much.

If we are upgrading on C position. My guess is we're going after someone like Statsny or Krejci due to both Colarado and Boston's depth at C position. However, there could be other option out there as well that we haven't heard before.
he's fairly young and has plenty of time to turn it around. So don't write him off.

07-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodCanadianBoy View Post
I'd prefer Frattin at 3rd line RW than Bozak.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Kirkpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Okay, so should we hold him to this?

If we don't see that 1st. line center, do we just say no problem or do we hold him accountable for the words that come out of his mouth.

I know people like to claim whatever he says can't be repeated because it is always taken out of context, but when do we say enough bullcrap, deliver results?
I think the catch here was pointed out earlier in the thread: an upgrade on the first line centre doesn't necessarily equate to acquiring a legit #1 C, as there's some distance between Bozak and a true #1 centre. I imagine this quote is going to build up a lot of expectations for sure.

Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownstache View Post
I got that feeling too, that he was being rushed, He may have a deal already in place with just the paperwork/odds and ends to get through. I'm not going to move to far away from leafs tv for a while. Hopefully he doesn't do something just for the sake of doing it though.
Lol you're thinking of the run guy. This isn't an HF'er running the team.

Eb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:42 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkpatrick View Post
I think the catch here was pointed out earlier in the thread: an upgrade on the first line centre doesn't necessarily equate to acquiring a legit #1 C, as there's some distance between Bozak and a true #1 centre. I imagine this quote is going to build up a lot of expectations for sure.
So are you saying whatever he does is fine. He brings in Colin Wilson your fine with that? (I would be, but that wouldn't be a 1st. line center.)

Sounds like you won't hold him accountable, because already it is changed to just someone better than Bozak, not a 1st. line center.

When standards start slipping it isn't long before you have no standards.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
So are you saying whatever he does is fine. He brings in Colin Wilson your fine with that? (I would be, but that wouldn't be a 1st. line center.)

Sounds like you won't hold him accountable, because already it is changed to just someone better than Bozak, not a 1st. line center.

When standards start slipping it isn't long before you have no standards.
I'll "hold him accountable" by the teams performance during the season. We really won't know how any of the moves Burke makes during the summer turn out until at the very earliest mid-season. If Burke does nothing from here on out and this team makes the playoffs, and looks as though it will continue to trend upwards I'm more than fine with that.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote