HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

5 more years

View Poll Results: no playoffs, extension or not
yes 216 61.02%
no 138 38.98%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 09:46 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
I like the direction Burke is going with this. He needs an extension, but not a long one.

5 years is not enough to fix the garbage dump JFJ left. Give him a 2 year extension and he reassess the situation then.
you believe in 2 years this team will make the playoffs?

Old
07-03-2012, 09:47 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

For those talking about replacements, Nonis is the guy who makes the most sense.

I voted that I would keep him on, but, I would only give him a 2 year extension to see if we make the playoffs by then. 2 years seems realistic from now as a time frame to make the dance, especially considering the HUGE amount of cap room we should have next year.

EDIT: Duffman got to it before I did. I swear I didn't see his post before writing this.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:49 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
For those talking about replacements, Nonis is the guy who makes the most sense.

I voted that I would keep him on, but, I would only give him a 2 year extension to see if we make the playoffs by then. 2 years seems realistic from now as a time frame to make the dance, especially considering the HUGE amount of cap room we should have next year.

EDIT: Duffman got to it before I did. I swear I didn't see his post before writing this.
burke does not sign good UFAs, now what, he said it himself, on the FAN

Old
07-03-2012, 09:50 PM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Our prospect pool is the best it's been for a long while and is there really anyone out there that can do a better job and handle the media scrutiny? I don't think we're making the playoffs this upcoming year but I'm okay with that, I like what Burke has done for the most part.

Old
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
you believe in 2 years this team will make the playoffs?
Absolutely they could. Are you insane?

With a number one goalie this team is battling for the division. We were sitting in 6th in February. People seem to forget that.

Our team is young and inexperienced, but there is a ton of upside. Most of this is Burke's fault for setting expectations so high, but this team is in good shape.

Old
GreekLeafer

Burke inherited the most gutted team & farm team in the league (possibly? probably). Let him go to work, look at how Vancouver is thriving off his picks.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:51 PM
robdicks

Quote:
burke does not sign good UFAs, now what, he said it himself, on the FAN
Not many do... the concept of FA means for the most part you are giving a player the max money. There is always a high probability of overpayment.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:52 PM
number72

The reason some people want Burke replaced and others are happy is that each fans has different expectations from
1. Playoffs and/or
2. #1C and/or
3. Solidfy goaltending and/or
4. Improved prospect pool and/or something else

The discussion could be around what is reasonable outcome that Burke should achieve to demonstrate they are ineffective or effective as GM.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:52 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

depends on how the next 12 months unfold

Old
07-03-2012, 09:54 PM
JVR-Kadri-Kessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
How did Jamie Benn enter into the discussion?
i think he meant been

Old
07-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Stephen

I think he's mostly on the right track now, despite his poor philosophy on UFAs. Haven't been the biggest fan of his management direction early on but for the sake of organizational continuity let him correct his mistakes like Glen Sather was allowed to do.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Pyromaniac3

If he doesn't get this team in to 2014 draft, then fire him.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
maybe the new gm brings in some good players to make the playoffs

burke is using 7 or more players from the previous leaf gm picks.
Maybe Burke brings in some good players this summer, or next season.

Just a note to help you sleep at night, get over the Kessel trade. It's done, over, can't be re-done. Pretty much every other significnat trade Burke pulled off will help this team going forward. I'm sure if you were asked in the summer of 2009 if the Leafs would finish 2nd overall in the upcoming season, you would have said no chance. For this exact reason, Burke made the Kessel trade. I don't fault him for trying to improve his team.

It's pretty easy being an armchair GM when you have hindsight on your side.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Donmega

Yes, but not 5 years. More like 2 - 3 years. Still he's one of the better gms we had. Turned a garbage team with no prospect pool into something to look forward too in the future (hopefully). He also gained a lot of points in my opinion this draft so far by not getting some garbage contracts on July 1st. Also happy he did not pull the trigger on luongo yet and saved the farm. I guess since we haven't made the playoffs in so long I am kinda used to the shorter seasons by now and waiting another 3 years or so for a cup contender is worth it.
I just hope he means it when he says he's not building a playoff team but a cup contender.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post

With a number one goalie this team is battling for the division. We were sitting in 6th in February. People seem to forget that.

Our team is young and inexperienced, but there is a ton of upside. Most of this is Burke's fault for setting expectations so high, but this team is in good shape.
This is what I was thinking. We are not far from being a good team. But a couple major things need to fall into place. Burke seems confident in he can shore up most of the holes.

We are almost through Burke's rebuild. I want to see what a completed Burke rebuild looks like.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:00 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 0
Burke's been a utter disaster and people want to give this blowhard another 5 years .

Burkes mandate was to build a cup contender but i see his supporters have lowered the bar and now being a perenial low seed playoff team is the ultimate goal .

Another 5 years ? Do the fans now think the fool is now doing a delayed tank rebuild because that's the only way we can aquire the elite talent needed to compete for the cup . Maybe the tard should have built throught the draft right from the beginning because all he's done is wasted time .

Old
07-03-2012, 10:01 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Obviously, he has to make the playoffs this year.

You think the owners are going to be publishing an apology every year until 2014 and not take action?

Come on he has no excuses left. He's admitted he has made mistakes, he's accountable for the results he is on is 9th. life.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
07-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Burke's been a utter disaster and people want to give this blowhard another 5 years .

Burkes mandate was to build a cup contender but i see his supporters have lowered the bar and now being a perenial low seed playoff team is the ultimate goal .

Another 5 years ? Do the fans now think the fool is now doing a delayed tank rebuild because that's the only way we can aquire the elite talent needed to compete for the cup . Maybe the tard should have built throught the draft right from the beginning because all he's done is wasted time .
If the Leafs make the playoffs next season and win a round, would you fire him then?

Old
07-03-2012, 10:06 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post

you think kessel will play a playoff game for the leafs? or will he be long gone by then

Old
07-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Smif

I'd give him a 3 year extension whether we win the cup or finish dead last next year. Unless we finish dead last and Burke traded away our pick then I'd kick him to the curb. But since I don't think that's going to happen I like everything he's done since the Kessel trade.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:12 PM
robdicks

Quote:
you think kessel will play a playoff game for the leafs? or will he be long gone by then
First of all, you keep assuming that Kessel is leaving if we don't make it, whichs isn't necessarily the case.Kessel knows this is his team and may like the role he is in right now. Also, there is no place on this planet where he would be more of a celebrity than he is now.

Either way, yes I think there is a decent chance that the toronto maple leafs make the playoffs in 2013. 60 games were played this year at a playoff-pace. We fell apart. That happens to young teams sometimes. This team is good enough to play games in April. So yes I think Kessel will definitely play playoff games in a Leafs uniform.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:12 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
If the Leafs make the playoffs next season and win a round, would you fire him then?
You do realize the goal is the cup . Did you know EVERY TEAM EXCEPT THE LEAFS has made the playoffs since the lockout . Making the playoffs and winning a round isn't some historic acomplishment . Hell , Mon won a couple of rounds and a couple of years ago and then finished in the lottery .

Maybe it's time for the supporters to take a look at the rest of teams we're competing against and try to honestly judge us against them instead of always judging the team against ourselves .

Old
07-03-2012, 10:13 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
dreaming is what burke has done to most leaf fans, year after year.
the leafs are in a rebuild, next year they will again be in a rebuild, when kessel and lupol and phaneuf leave they will again be in a rebuild.
picks burke made are all hit and miss.
1st pick made as a leaf gm, kadri bust, so dont except to much from the others.
if gunnersson, grabo, kulimun, riemer, schenn, frattin, were not here from the previous LEAF GM, think how even worse we would be

Old
07-03-2012, 10:14 PM
AuraSphere

Keep him, only the idiots with no hockey IQ will say no.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:14 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
I'd give him a 3 year extension whether we win the cup or finish dead last next year. Unless we finish dead last and Burke traded away our pick then I'd kick him to the curb. But since I don't think that's going to happen I like everything he's done since the Kessel trade.
Agreed. I can justify every move he has made. Have they all worked out? No, but most of them have, and the deals at the time never baffled me. I can't say that about every GM in the league.

Closed Thread