HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Discussion Thread: Part II

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
People make fun but that just shows he knows how to fight the right way.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Looks like the Sens won't play second fiddle to Nash.. Melnyk basically saying a Big F U to him (without naming him lol)

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/07/03/...hs-list-expand
Love it!

We're a first class organization. If anyone doesn't want to come here, then we don't want them. No sloppy seconds for Ottawa.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Looks like the Sens won't play second fiddle to Nash.. Melnyk basically saying a Big F U to him (without naming him lol)

Quote:
Sources say the club offered winger Nick Foligno, prospect Mika Zibanejad and goaltender Robin Lehner.

Sources also told the Sun the Jackets wanted top prospect Mark Stone as part of the package. The Senators weren’t prepared to do that.
Well thank goodness for that.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:04 PM
2Cowen

Not sure why they included Lehner in the deal. Isn't goaltending our achilles heel? Why would they trade away one of our top prospects for that position

Old
07-03-2012, 11:10 PM
playasRus

If Philly managed to somehow sign both Parise and Suter, they'd likely have to unload a contract like Meszaros.

Think the Senators would make good suitors?

Old
07-03-2012, 11:12 PM
PKC*

Quote:

One thing that article shows you is how high they rate Stone as a player. Guy is going to be a star in the NHL.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:15 PM
mcnorth

Foligno/Zib/Lehner.

Doubt CLB get a return that good.

**** you Rick Nash.

You broke my heart.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:16 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
Not sure why they included Lehner in the deal. Isn't goaltending our achilles heel? Why would they trade away one of our top prospects for that position
Because Murray.

Our pro scouting staff is wonky.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:25 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
If Philly managed to somehow sign both Parise and Suter, they'd likely have to unload a contract like Meszaros.

Think the Senators would make good suitors?
Considering our previous history with Mesz (trading him rather than paying him), I doubt it.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:28 PM
BK201

For the cap floor topic you cannot buy out a player and resign him right away. I think you have to wait a year. And Alfies cap hit is 4.8 million anyways.

We need just over 4 million in cap to get to what the floor is projected to be. Not one or even two players in our organization can come in and take that space up luckily right now we have only 11 forwards 6 defenseman and 2 goalies which is 19 players and the roster usually carries 23 players I'm sure we can make up the 4 million if we even just added 4 rookies.

If we don't make another splash expect some rookies up on our team.

I didn't add JOB to the roster as he has yet to sign. He would put us at 20

Last edited by BK201: 07-03-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 11:31 PM
B3rs3rker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Love it!

We're a first class organization. If anyone doesn't want to come here, then we don't want them. No sloppy seconds for Ottawa.
Melnyk needs to learn to shut his mouth. That was actually pretty classless of him to call Nash out like that. Guys already under a ton of scrutiny in Columbus because of his idiot GM, how do you think he feels to be bashed on by an owner. Probably makes any other free agents Ottawa is pitching two second guess if they truly want to be there now too.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:40 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball8992 View Post
Melnyk needs to learn to shut his mouth. That was actually pretty classless of him to call Nash out like that. Guys already under a ton of scrutiny in Columbus because of his idiot GM, how do you think he feels to be bashed on by an owner. Probably makes any other free agents Ottawa is pitching two second guess if they truly want to be there now too.
Yeah I think your reaching, he's basically saying they made an offer and Nash refuse to waive his NTC and now the offer is off the table if he changes his mind. That they really only Want guys who want to be here and not be a second option.

The amount of money he gets is a lot and it's big to be taken lightly. He's unhappy so are we.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:40 PM
PKC*

Quote:
You mean he's under a ton of scrutiny because he wants out, right? Hard to feel bad for him.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

If there is anyone that is good at editing wikipedia, could someone fix the sens page.
Latandresse is wearing 73, Methot is wearing 3 and Lundin took 10 from Prince

Old
07-03-2012, 11:42 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
You mean he's under a ton of scrutiny because he wants out, right? Hard to feel bad for him.
Exactly, and he's handcuffing his team for a bad deal, our rumored offer was actually pretty good.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:48 PM
B3rs3rker

Quote:
No it isn't, he quietly went to Howson and said "hey, I'm not going to be causing any problems, but if you think moving me makes the team better in the future and you can get me to a team on my list, I'll be happy". Then Howson goes to the media and says "Yeah, Nash wants out."

Yeah, I do feel bad for him, it's not like this is some hot shot like Heatley, he's a true leader on the team and still cares about the franchise, just he wants to him and his family to be able to settle into a spot where they can all be happy.

Maybe the Sun is blowing things out of proportion, but Melnyk usually is pretty over the top so I wouldn't be surprised if it was accurate. He is just coming across as the spoiled child who didn't get the toy he wanted and is like "now we don't want you", I'm sure Nash is really heartbroken, while the rest of the league goes

Old
07-03-2012, 11:48 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
If there is anyone that is good at editing wikipedia, could someone fix the sens page.
Latandresse is wearing 73, Methot is wearing 3 and Lundin took 10 from Prince
Did he? Sens webpage shows Lundin w/o a number yet.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Did he? Sens webpage shows Lundin w/o a number yet.
Ottawa Senators ‏@NHL_Sens

Lundin will become the 10th #Sens player to wear number 10, which was most recently worn by Marek Svatos in 2010-11. #JerseyWatch

Old
07-03-2012, 11:50 PM
starling

Wonder why he wants to San Jose. Their window is pretty much closed.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
Wonder why he wants to San Jose. Their window is pretty much closed.
Probably same reason Heatley did.

Makes the playoffs every year.
Play beside one of the best set up guys (Thorton)
No media pressure
Go to practice in shorts and a t-shirt

Old
07-03-2012, 11:52 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
No it isn't, he quietly went to Howson and said "hey, I'm not going to be causing any problems, but if you think moving me makes the team better in the future and you can get me to a team on my list, I'll be happy". Then Howson goes to the media and says "Yeah, Nash wants out."

Yeah, I do feel bad for him, it's not like this is some hot shot like Heatley, he's a true leader on the team.

Melnyk is just coming across as the spoiled child who didn't get the toy he wanted and is like "now we don't want you"
, I'm sure Nash is really heartbroken, while the rest of the league goes
Disagree.

IMO, this smells of continued fallout from the Heatley debacle. Heatley didn't want to be here, and screwed the team... Melnyk is paying lip service to the fans that are worried about another $7mil player who has reservations about being an Ottawa Senator. Sure, it's a bit over the top, but it's what a lot of the market wants to hear after getting screwed by the LAST high-paid guy who didn't want to be here, all things considered.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:53 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Ottawa Senators ‏@NHL_Sens

Lundin will become the 10th #Sens player to wear number 10, which was most recently worn by Marek Svatos in 2010-11. #JerseyWatch
Ah, must have missed that one.

Good catch.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:59 PM
PKC*

Quote:

Yeah, I do feel bad for him, it's not like this is some hot shot like Heatley, he's a true leader on the team and still cares about the franchise, just he wants to him and his family to be able to settle into a spot where they can all be happy.

Maybe the Sun is blowing things out of proportion, but Melnyk usually is pretty over the top so I wouldn't be surprised if it was accurate. He is just coming across as the spoiled child who didn't get the toy he wanted and is like "now we don't want you", I'm sure Nash is really heartbroken, while the rest of the league goes
Oh yeah I'm sure a Rick Nash trade was always going to be low key. Come on.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:01 AM
B3rs3rker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Disagree.

IMO, this smells of continued fallout from the Heatley debacle. Heatley didn't want to be here, and screwed the team... Melnyk is paying lip service to the fans that are worried about another $7mil player who has reservations about being an Ottawa Senator. Sure, it's a bit over the top, but it's what a lot of the market wants to hear after getting screwed by the LAST high-paid guy who didn't want to be here, all things considered.
I think that makes a fair point too. Taking that into consideration, I think it's a bit of both, and I'm not budging any further than that

Old
07-04-2012, 12:03 AM
B3rs3rker

Quote:
Oh yeah I'm sure a Rick Nash trade was always going to be low key. Come on.
Where did I ever say it would be low key? There's a difference between the media finding out that Howson is shopping Nash, and the GM bluntly stating he wants out in a presser. Come on right back at you

Closed Thread