HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

5 more years

View Poll Results: no playoffs, extension or not
yes 216 61.02%
no 138 38.98%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 10:16 PM
robdicks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
dreaming is what burke has done to most leaf fans, year after year.
the leafs are in a rebuild, next year they will again be in a rebuild, when kessel and lupol and phaneuf leave they will again be in a rebuild.
picks burke made are all hit and miss.
1st pick made as a leaf gm, kadri bust, so dont except to much from the others.
if gunnersson, grabo, kulimun, riemer, schenn, frattin, were not here from the previous LEAF GM, think how even worse we would be
You are just dreaming out the worst-case scenario and he is dreaming out the best. Same thing really....

Old
07-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
dreaming is what burke has done to most leaf fans, year after year.
the leafs are in a rebuild, next year they will again be in a rebuild, when kessel and lupol and phaneuf leave they will again be in a rebuild.
picks burke made are all hit and miss.
1st pick made as a leaf gm, kadri bust, so dont except to much from the others.
if gunnersson, grabo, kulimun, riemer, schenn, frattin, were not here from the previous LEAF GM, think how even worse we would be
Yup. You are so intelligent. Tell me more about how every prospect over 20 is a bust. In that case B. Schenn is a bust as well. In fact Kadri has higher PPG than him.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:17 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
First of all, you keep assuming that Kessel is leaving if we don't make it, whichs isn't necessarily the case.Kessel knows this is his team and may like the role he is in right now. Also, there is no place on this planet where he would be more of a celebrity than he is now.

Either way, yes I think there is a decent chance that the toronto maple leafs make the playoffs in 2013. 60 games were played this year at a playoff-pace. We fell apart. That happens to young teams sometimes. This team is good enough to play games in April. So yes I think Kessel will definitely play playoff games in a Leafs uniform.
If you're waiting for Kessel to lead this team anywhere then i don't what to say .

Old
07-03-2012, 10:17 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
First of all, you keep assuming that Kessel is leaving if we don't make it, whichs isn't necessarily the case.Kessel knows this is his team and may like the role he is in right now. Also, there is no place on this planet where he would be more of a celebrity than he is now.

Either way, yes I think there is a decent chance that the toronto maple leafs make the playoffs in 2013. 60 games were played this year at a playoff-pace. We fell apart. That happens to young teams sometimes. This team is good enough to play games in April. So yes I think Kessel will definitely play playoff games in a Leafs uniform.
it better be this year, cause he will be gone next year, kessel wants back in the usa, relax, make money , no worries, thats just the way he is.
think of parise

Old
07-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Philkessel

burke not firing wilson in time should be his down fall if the leafs miss the playoffs

Old
07-03-2012, 10:21 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Yup. You are so intelligent. Tell me more about how every prospect over 20 is a bust. In that case B. Schenn is a bust as well. In fact Kadri has higher PPG than him.
you are comparing schenn with kadri, kadri cant play on a lottery team, schenn was a regular on a good playoff team.
kadri will again be in the AHL.
NO SPOT FOR HIM IN THE TOP 6 WINGER, CENTER FORGET IT, WITH CARLYLE AS COACH, BOTTOM 6 , CARLYLE WOULD HAVE TO RETIRE AS COACH

Old
07-03-2012, 10:21 PM
robdicks

Quote:
it better be this year, cause he will be gone next year, kessel wants back in the usa, relax, make money , no worries, thats just the way he is.
think of parise
What? I don't even know what you mean here... Do you think the Leafs should go after Parise? Where did you hear that Kessel wants to go to the States?

Relax, make money? lolwut? If Burke has criticisms it is usually that he is a little TOO trigger happy. He is impatient and makes moves that he thinks will improve the team.

I don't really get what you are trying to say, but what exactly do you want to happen aside from firing Burke? What would you do differently?

Old
07-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
You do realize the goal is the cup . Did you know EVERY TEAM EXCEPT THE LEAFS has made the playoffs since the lockout . Making the playoffs and winning a round isn't some historic acomplishment . Hell , Mon won a couple of rounds and a couple of years ago and then finished in the lottery .

Maybe it's time for the supporters to take a look at the rest of teams we're competing against and try to honestly judge us against them instead of always judging the team against ourselves .
So by your logic, every team that loses in the playoffs should fire their GM. Might as well right? They might miss the playoffs next year anyway.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:23 PM
robdicks

Quote:
If you're waiting for Kessel to lead this team anywhere then i don't what to say .
Eh he leads by example. He leads us in scoring, and he is the best player on the team.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:24 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
So by your logic, every team that loses in the playoffs should fire their GM. Might as well right? They might miss the playoffs next year anyway!
haha I really don't think there is any logic.

He is just spouting off incoherent nonsense.

Leafs miss playoffs, Burke be fired, Carlyle retires, Kessel no heart, You think they will playoffs this year?

Edit: Disclaimer: Hot Paws is actually a pretty good poster I thought he was talking about cup67 oops.

Last edited by robdicks: 07-03-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Kamal007
#leak4Jlaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
I'd give him a 3 year extension whether we win the cup or finish dead last next year. Unless we finish dead last and Burke traded away our pick then I'd kick him to the curb. But since I don't think that's going to happen I like everything he's done since the Kessel trade.
Agreed. I support the direction he is going. He is a good enough GM that we need to see through his plan and see where it takes us. He has earned that.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Kirkpatrick

I think some people really need to rent a barn in New York and work through some of these issues with Burke so we can maybe move on a little.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:29 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
So by your logic, every team that loses in the playoffs should fire their GM. Might as well right? They might miss the playoffs next year anyway.
Maybe you should reread my post .

Old
07-03-2012, 10:30 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Eh he leads by example. He leads us in scoring, and he is the best player on the team.
He leads us to the lottery every year .

Old
07-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
you are comparing schenn with kadri, kadri cant play on a lottery team, schenn was a regular on a good playoff team.
kadri will again be in the AHL.
NO SPOT FOR HIM IN THE TOP 6 WINGER, CENTER FORGET IT, WITH CARLYLE AS COACH, BOTTOM 6 , CARLYLE WOULD HAVE TO RETIRE AS COACH
If Schenn was a regular in a power house offensive system with the flyers, how come he has a massive 1 more point than kadri while playing 11 more games?

Kadri:

51 GP 19Points

B. Schenn:

62 GP 20 Points

Yup your argument makes no sense. Either both Schenn and kadri are good prospects or both busts.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Bottom line is it's ridiculous to think Burke should have built a contender by now. He was given a team with a terrible prospect pool, and even worse roster players. It took him two full years just to clear the crap out of the organization. He's spent the past two years bringing in young players who will hopefully be part of the core going forward. Take into consideration that we haven't seen what 80% of his draft picks will contribute at the NHL level. To say he has done a terrible job is such small minded thinking. He should be given at least 2 - 3 more years to fully assess his development of the organization.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:32 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Burke is the best thing we can get right now. He has made this team far better IMO. Have you morons screaming for Burke's head seen the team and farm that he was left with? It was absolutely laughable. JFJ screwed the leafs for a good 5 years. Burke is a good GM, he isn't perfect, he doesn't have a crystal ball, but he is good. No need to fire him.

I'd like to talk about this Kessel trade that everyone rips on. IMO the only real thing people seem to complain about. Without Kessel, the leafs would have a pretty good prospect in Doug Hamilton, yeah. They would have Tyler Seguin a guy who gets around 50 points, and is okay defensively. So he would be a 2C on the leafs developing into a 1C IMO. Just because of their difference in system and commitment to defense, and the fact that Seguin wouldn't have ANY WINGERS TO PLAY WITH. If we don't have Kessel, Lupul isn't a top line player.

If we have Seguin we have 1/3 of a first line. If we have Kessel we have 2/3.

If we never traded for Kessel, people would whine about how we didnt give up two pretty good prospects for a superstar. Please, just stop whining about the Kessel trade...

Old
07-03-2012, 10:33 PM
robdicks

Quote:
He leads us to the lottery every year .
Stamkos lead Tbay to a finish outside of the top-8. Does that make him incapable of leading?

It's a team game. This team missed despite Kessel's play, not because of it.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:34 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman955 View Post
if schenn was a regular in a power house offensive system with the flyers, how come he has a massive 1 more point than kadri while playing 11 more games?

Kadri:

51 gp 19points

b. Schenn:

62 gp 20 points

yup your argument makes no sense. Either both schenn and kadri are good prospects or both busts.
who would you want on the leafs ? Schenn or kadri i'd take schenn

Old
07-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
who would you want on the leafs ? Schenn or kadri
Personally want both. Kadri has higher offensive upside while Schenn is better defensively.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:36 PM
robdicks

Quote:
who would you want on the leafs ? Schenn or kadri i'd take schenn
and so would have Burke if given the opportunity....

Old
07-03-2012, 10:39 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Where in the world did Carlyle retiring come from?

Old
07-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Swervin81
Disgruntled Leaf Fan

The Kessel trade was horrible (even though we get a PPG winger), but all of his other trades have been win-wins or fleecings. The Phaneuf trade was a ripoff, the Beauchemin trade was an utter fleecing, and the Kaberle trade was great as well. Burke has also built a deep prospect pool. The only thing which has been a consistent problem has been the UFA signings.

IMO, as long as the treadmill overlords at MLSE oversee this team, there will be no true rebuild any time soon. JFJ once went up to the board to ask if he could rebuild during his tenure, and they shot it down.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:40 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Stamkos lead Tbay to a finish outside of the top-8. Does that make him incapable of leading?

It's a team game. This team missed despite Kessel's play, not because of it.
Stamkos also led them deep in the playoffs .

I didn't say Kessel was at fault , i said he wasn't a leader .

Old
07-03-2012, 10:41 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipunch View Post
where in the world did carlyle retiring come from?
kadri will not have a spot on carlyles bottom 6 , unless he retiers, and a new coach comes in

Closed Thread