HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11'/12' Offseason/Trades/Signings: Read here to see if it's already reported | FA III

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishleafs View Post
Are u kidding me?!? Wilson is better than any of our centers besides Grabo at this point. Wilson would be a great addition.
Lol I'm the one kidding you? You are trying to convince me that Wilson is a top 6er even though he wasn't even in Nashvilles top 9 for most of the season. They aren't exactly offensive powerhouses either. At this point Grabo, Bozak .... And maybe even Connolly are better

Old
07-03-2012, 10:20 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Lol I'm the one kidding you? You are trying to convince me that Wilson is a top 6er even though he wasn't even in Nashvilles top 9 for most of the season. They aren't exactly offensive powerhouses either. At this point Grabo, Bozak .... And maybe even Connolly are better
You nailed it. Nashville didn't play a Run and Gun style, he'd be perfect for the Carlyle system he's been trained by Trotz. No damage to be undone by a previous coach.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
07-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Duffman955

Burke keeps saying he is going to make the leafs bigger and more physical.

Who are realistic UFA targets and trade targets that could address this problem?

Old
07-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

I don't understand how McClement is our third line center. Burke constantly changes his philosophy; at the beginning of his tenure here he said he played top-six, bottom-six. Then last year he said top-nine. Now he's doing a top-six, and a shut-down line, and a fourth line. What's the purpose of a fourth line of useless players? Why not have three scoring lines and have your fourth-line as the shutdown line?

I guess Borque knows better than I.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Swervin81
Deflated Leafs Fan

Marty Turco as the backup? Good calming veteran and mentor for Reimer and he can really help Reimer with his puck handling skills, considering Turco is one of the best and most intelligent puck handlers in the league.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
I don't understand how McClement is our third line center. Burke constantly changes his philosophy; at the beginning of his tenure here he said he played top-six, bottom-six. Then last year he said top-nine. Now he's doing a top-six, and a shut-down line, and a fourth line. What's the purpose of a fourth line of useless players? Why not have three scoring lines and have your fourth-line as the shutdown line?

I guess Borque knows better than I.
I remember Burke saying recently his new model is a top 8/9 and a bottom 3/4. I think it was Carlyle, but maybe Burke, who said something like he wants a top line for scoring, a 2nd line for shutdown (but still scores obviously), a third line with skill who gets some sheltered minutes for scoring but plays with a bit of an edge and a 4th line for that full out edge. I think that's what was said, don't hold me to it though, I could very easily be wrong with it.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:54 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Marty Turco as the backup? Good calming veteran and mentor for Reimer and he can really help Reimer with his puck handling skills, considering Turco is one of the best and most intelligent puck handlers in the league.
Would be a great idea if it weren't for the fact that he's only played 5 NHL games in the last calendar year due to the fact that he no longer can stop a beach ball.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:59 PM
delirium trigger

What about a connolly(and picks) for:
Andre deveaux
Shawn matthias
Winnik
Bryan boyle
Or shawn horcoff,or a stroll down memory lane with antropov, or wellwood.
None really help at 1C, but the first few bring tonnes of size and grit.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Swervin81
Deflated Leafs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Would be a great idea if it weren't for the fact that he's only played 5 NHL games in the last calendar year due to the fact that he no longer can stop a beach ball.
That's because he and all his goalie coaches still think he has the same athleticism he had when he was 26. If Allaire could get him to play more of a positional game in the crease without having to rely so much on his waning athleticism, it could work.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:03 PM
topched

Quote:
That's because he and all his goalie coaches still think he has the same athleticism he had when he was 26. If Allaire could get him to play more of a positional game in the crease without having to rely so much on his waning athleticism, it could work.
So we should sign and bank on a 36 year old who will need to completely change his style of play in order to be successful?

Old
07-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium trigger View Post
What about a connolly(and picks) for:
Andre deveaux
Shawn matthias
Winnik
Bryan boyle
Or shawn horcoff,or a stroll down memory lane with antropov, or wellwood.
None really help at 1C, but the first few bring tonnes of size and grit.
My guts tell me he ends up in Chicago getting traded for a prospect, Beach?

But I could see Anaheim maybe wanting him as well, package Connolly+ for Ryan maybe?

I actually believe there will be some serious interest in him this offseason and the other teams fans will be upset with what they give up, music to my ears

Old
07-03-2012, 11:06 PM
delirium trigger

Quote:
That's how allaire ruined gustavsson

Old
07-03-2012, 11:07 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post

But I could see Anaheim maybe wanting him as well, package Connolly+ for Ryan maybe?

I actually believe there will be some serious interest in him this offseason and the other teams fans will be upset with what they give up, music to my ears
Teams aren't stupid, he's coming off his worst offensive season since the lockout and did absolutely nothing to discourage the notion that he's a walking infirmary.

We'll be lucky to unload him without taking salary back.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Swervin81
Deflated Leafs Fan

Quote:
So we should sign and bank on a 36 year old who will need to completely change his style of play in order to be successful?
That's probably why I'd suggest something like a 3-goalie tandem (which is probably something I'd never do, but just for the sake of argument) of Reimer, Scrivens, and Turco. Turco as the suit who comes in at practice and does his thing. Better use of a roster spot than having Lombardi as a $3.5M HS, who Carlyle probably couldn't care any less about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium trigger View Post
That's how allaire ruined gustavsson
Gus still has athleticism though. He should've never been forced into a positional game. Turco, however, has little to nothing left. It's his only hope.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:10 PM
topched

Quote:
That's probably why I'd suggest something like a 3-goalie tandem (which is probably something I'd never do, but just for the sake of argument) of Reimer, Scrivens, and Turco. Turco as the suit who comes in at practice and does his thing. Better use of a roster spot than having Lombardi as a $3.5M HS, who Carlyle probably couldn't care any less about.
Haha so we're arguing about something that's completely unrealistic and "something you'd never do" just for the "sake of argument".

At the end of the day, Marty Turco won't have an NHL job this year, and thats the way it should be. He's completely washed up.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Teams aren't stupid, he's coming off his worst offensive season since the lockout and did absolutely nothing to discourage the notion that he's a walking infirmary.

We'll be lucky to unload him without taking salary back.
There are teams out there who seem to be in need of a #2 center that I think one will take the chance. In regards to having to take salary back, I'm not sure on that but it is probably true, I just don't feel like going through trying to actually make a trade, more just spitballing those ideas out. The cap as it stands at 70m makes it seems like few teams will actually be at the cap due to not many good free agents. As it currently is, I would guess many teams that are normally right up against the cap will have 5m+ cap space, enough room to take Connolly (with 1 year left on his contract so not a big risk) without sending salary the other way, but yes I think they would like to send some our way, just whether it happens or not is yet to be determined, if Connolly is even traded that is.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:17 PM
topched

Quote:
There are teams out there who seem to be in need of a #2 center that I think one will take the chance. In regards to having to take salary back, I'm not sure on that but it is probably true, I just don't feel like going through trying to actually make a trade, more just spitballing those ideas out. The cap as it stands at 70m makes it seems like few teams will actually be at the cap due to not many good free agents. As it currently is, I would guess many teams that are normally right up against the cap will have 5m+ cap space, enough room to take Connolly (with 1 year left on his contract so not a big risk) without sending salary the other way, but yes I think they would like to send some our way, just whether it happens or not is yet to be determined, if Connolly is even traded that is.
Definitely, I just don't think he could ever be involved in any trade for a valuable player.

Connolly has even or slightly negative value right now on the market. Certainly there will be the opportunity to move him to a team who may have missed out on some secondary FA pieces and are willing to take a chance on him and the one year left on his contract.

Our centre depth is pretty good right now, good enough that moving Connolly wouldn't even hurt our lineup.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:
Not enough games played the last few years. Plus with Boston he was absolutely brutal.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Definitely, I just don't think he could ever be involved in any trade for a valuable player.

Connolly has even or slightly negative value right now on the market. Certainly there will be the opportunity to move him to a team who may have missed out on some secondary FA pieces and are willing to take a chance on him and the one year left on his contract.

Our centre depth is pretty good right now, good enough that moving Connolly wouldn't even hurt our lineup.
Okay maybe hoping Connolly+ for Ryan is a bit out there, just a gut feeling. We have done some trades with Anaheim recently that makes me believe it may just happen haha.

Out current center depth I think has him playing on the wing unless he all of a sudden finds chemistry with Kessel and Lupul and moves up to the first line. Teams I think will be calling trying to get him for cheap. In the end I have that feeling where if he gets traded for one main piece with Connolly being the main piece going the other way, it will be for a half decent to good prospect.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:43 PM
delirium trigger

I postured that maybe connolly could get us a 13th forward C who is big.. I think devereaux was around 240lbs when he was here before.. I wouldn't mind that size again.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Maybe we dumped Army so we could sign a free agent with the same #.

I wish lol

Old
07-04-2012, 12:34 AM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

Lol Colin Wilson played the wing in Nashville if I'm correct many Nashville fans have said he doesn't have the defensive wherewithal to play center in the NHL

Old
07-04-2012, 12:36 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:

If Anaheim is even going to take us seriously for Bobby Ryan, Mikhail Grabovki is the startig point. You probably add in another good piece like Nikolai Kulemin or Clarke MacArthur.

I'd do that in a heartbeat!

Old
07-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolungoReboundo View Post
Lol Colin Wilson played the wing in Nashville if I'm correct many Nashville fans have said he doesn't have the defensive wherewithal to play center in the NHL
He's being compared to Legwand, Fisher, and Gaustad. He definately isn't as good as them defensivey, but he is probably about average.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:43 AM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
He's being compared to Legwand, Fisher, and Gaustad. He definately isn't as good as them defensivey, but he is probably about average.
He's not being compared to them he was behind them.... lol

Closed Thread