HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XIX - The Return Is Not Phaneuf

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 10:54 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Spit out my drink at "blood type to be Ragu"...well played Mauer, well played...
*bows* Thanks, I'll be here all week. Don't forget our daily drink specials!

----------------------

The Lu poster is still bloody there. I take the skytrain in every day, it hasn't gone anywhere. Get a life, Samjam99.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Okay, I'm calling it. Luongo+ to CBJ for Nash. Brian Burke immediately does interview laughing at Howson. At the end of November, Reimer retires from hockey and moves to a cloistered monastery on the diametrically opposite side of the planet from Toronto. In a reaction shot on HNIC, Burke turns a shade of red so bright it becomes possible to fry an egg on his forehead. Tests confirm his blood type to be Ragu; Nonis steps in as interim GM during Burke's convalescence. Immediately signs Turco to a 2 year deal, then joins Reimer in seclusion. Charles Wang completes buyout of Maple Leafs, assigns Turco GM duties.
I don't care how, I want this to happen.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:02 PM
CodeBlue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I have no doubt that Vancouver should get this kind of return from Burke, but he just won't have any of it.

I think his recent interviews (especially the one today from the fan590) say all that needs to be said here. Burke will go into camp with Reimer Scrivens and will open with them if he has to. Unless Gillis drastically reduces his price, that's how it's going to stay.

I doubt the story is much different in Florida too. They have capable goaltending already and have their goalies locked up already. There has to be an incentive to make a deal (as in a steal).

Needless to say we're going to run out of Bond movies before Luongo is moved in my honest opinion. This one is going to go on all summer, someone is going to flinch and I know it's not going to be Burke and doubt Tallon has any reason to either.
Coming soon...

Luongo XX - Trade Another Way

Old
07-03-2012, 11:06 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Good title. Would have went with "The Phaneuf Is Not Enough."

Old
07-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Haj

There needs to be signs for these thread titles at every game Luongo plays next season.

Wherever he plays.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I have no doubt that Vancouver should get this kind of return from Burke, but he just won't have any of it.

I think his recent interviews (especially the one today from the fan590) say all that needs to be said here. Burke will go into camp with Reimer Scrivens and will open with them if he has to. Unless Gillis drastically reduces his price, that's how it's going to stay.

I doubt the story is much different in Florida too. They have capable goaltending already and have their goalies locked up already. There has to be an incentive to make a deal (as in a steal).

Needless to say we're going to run out of Bond movies before Luongo is moved in my honest opinion. This one is going to go on all summer, someone is going to flinch and I know it's not going to be Burke and doubt Tallon has any reason to either.
Gillis said on a Vancouver radio station today that there were quite a few teams interested. You might be completely right that Toronto may not trade with Van. Who knows maybe another team other than Toronto and Florida will end up Lu. I think in the end when we go back and look at the eventual trade and the commentary before it, this will be a classic case of HFboards undervaluing a player.

Last edited by Numbers: 07-03-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Just a few off the top of my head:
The Quick and the Luongo
Luongo train coming
The Luongo Chainsaw Massacre
The Creature from the Black Luongo
Get Luongo or Die Tryin'
The Fast and the Luongo
The Luongo Strain
2012' a Luongo Odyssey
Luongo Vs. Predator
Forrest Luongump. The incredible saga of an extraordinary goalie

Etc etc

Old
07-03-2012, 11:35 PM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Just a few off the top of my head:
The Quick and the Luongo
Luongo train coming
The Luongo Chainsaw Massacre
The Creature from the Black Luongo
Get Luongo or Die Tryin'
The Fast and the Luongo
The Luongo Strain
2012' a Luongo Odyssey
Luongo Vs. Predator
Forrest Luongump. The incredible saga of an extraordinary goalie

Etc etc
EDIT:

Star Wars
Episode I: The Phantom Gillis
Episode II: Attack of the Proposals
Episode III: Revenge of the Gillis
Episode IV: A New Luope
Episode V: The Vanempire Strikes Back
Episode VI: Return of the Deadline

Last edited by CodeBlue*: 07-03-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 11:37 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Gillis said on a Vancouver radio station that there were quite a few teams interested. You might be completely right that Toronto may not trade with Van. Who knows maybe another team other than Toronto and Florida will end up Lu. I think in the end when we go back and look at the eventual trade and the commentary before it, this will be a classic case of HFboards undervaluing a player.
Gonna play devil's advocate here and ask what else is Gillis going to say? That nobody is interested?

Gillis doesn't have any leverage. Once that news leaked that Luongo requested a trade his value plummeted, regardless of the denials from Gillis. No one will say, "Oh, Gillis just denied the rumors. Damn! There goes my leverage." It's out there, and once its out there you can't cover it back up.

Luongo has a NTC/NMC, does he not? If he gets the final say, the only teams in the mix are the same ones all along - Toronto, Florida.

The only thing holding this trade up is Gillis' refusal to accept the situation and take what he can get. To me his pride and self-envisioned reputation about being a savvy GM is stopping it from happening. I'm sure he envisions himself walking away from this laughing. But the longer he waits and makes unreasonable demands, the more the other teams are just gonna say screw dealing with this guy.

I highly doubt one of Florida or Toronto gives in first and this whole trade is becoming incredibly stale and will eventually be damaging to Vancouver as a team both internally and league wide reputation (As if it isn't low enough already).

Old
07-03-2012, 11:40 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
I think for both sides dealing the 1st makes no sense.

If its top-5 protected it could be anywhere from #6-35 overall .... thats a big discrepancy in value for both sides.

I would rather just get something like Colborne or Ashton where we know exactly what were getting.

Toronto
Roberto Luongo

Vancouver
Tim Connolly
Nazem Kadri
Carter Ashton
The 1st could/would be moved for a player.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlue View Post
Star Wars
Episode I: A New Luope
Episode II: The Vanempire Strikes Back
Episode III: Return of the Deadline
Episode IV: The Phantom Gillis
Episode V: Attack of the Proposals
Episode VI: Revenge of the Gillis

Old
07-03-2012, 11:41 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Gonna play devil's advocate here and ask what else is Gillis going to say? That nobody is interested?

Gillis doesn't have any leverage. Once that news leaked that Luongo requested a trade his value plummeted, regardless of the denials from Gillis. No one will say, "Oh, Gillis just denied the rumors. Damn! There goes my leverage."

Luongo has a NTC/NMC, does he not? If he gets the final say, the only teams in the mix are the same ones all along - Toronto, Florida.

The only thing holding this trade up is Gillis' refusal to accept the situation and take what he can get. To me his pride and self-envisioned reputation about being a savvy GM is stopping it from happening. I'm sure he envisions himself walking away from this laughing. But the longer he waits, the more the other teams are just gonna say screw dealing with this guy.

I highly doubt one of Florida or Toronto gives in first and this whole trade is becoming incredibly stale and will eventually be detrimental to Vancouver as a team both internally and league reputation.
1. Whether he's lying or not is highly subjective. Knowing GMMG, any deal involving Luongo will come out of left field with a club no one expected.

2. He does not have a NMC.

3. There's is an out-clause in Luongo's contract.

4. Your final point is fantasy.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:41 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
I don't think the Leafs have any interest in Luongo anymore.

Gillis is a moron and is kiling Luongo's market value even more than it has fell.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:42 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Gillis said on a Vancouver radio station today that there were quite a few teams interested. You might be completely right that Toronto may not trade with Van. Who knows maybe another team other than Toronto and Florida will end up Lu. I think in the end when we go back and look at the eventual trade and the commentary before it, this will be a classic case of HFboards undervaluing a player.
No doubt, although I have no idea why he could be undervalued. He's a franchise goalie under contract at a very respectable cap hit for any team.

I mentioned in the last thread that it is a dangerous freakn' game Burke is playing here with the Canucks. They are in a position to land a franchise goalie and significantly improve their team for the better. A chance to be a legitimate playoff contender for the next 5-6 years. A chance to give their team some credibility with the rest of the league and actually make it a place where players might want to play. A franchise goalie immediately pays off in many aspects. Too me that is more valuable then a cpl top prospects that may or may not turn out to be impact players.

If Burke strikes out on Luo then they head into the season with Reimer as their number one goalie and most likely another frustrating season of avg hockey and no playoffs.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:43 PM
carseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
I don't think the Leafs have any interest in Luongo anymore.

Gillis is a moron and is kiling Luongo's market value even more than it has fell.
Yeah, you're right. Should just platoon the superstar goalies you got, cause, ya'know that gets results.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:45 PM
CommonMeans*

These threads are insane.

Fact: We are all operating with imperfect information. None of us are aware of the trade market for Luongo, partially or completely.

Fact: GMMG has a far greater idea of what Luongo's trade value is if one assumes he has talked to other GMs about potential offers.

Insanity: People feel they are in a position to state "how it's going to be".

Old
07-03-2012, 11:46 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
1. Whether he's lying or not is highly subjective. Knowing GMMG, any deal involving Luongo will come out of left field with a club no one expected.

2. He does not have a NMC.

3. There's is an out-clause in Luongo's contract.

4. Your final point is fantasy.
Hah. It's actually reality. But since you can't formulate an articulate argument I guess I'll chalk it up to You living in the fantasy. It's not about lying, we all know Gillis reigns King in that department. It's about the reality of the situation - Luongo Wants Out.

Nothing is going to change that. Luongo gets to choose where he wants to go. Gillis has no leverage. That's the reality.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:47 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Hah. It's actually reality. But since you can't formulate an articulate argument I guess I'll chalk it up to You living in the fantasy. It's not about lying, we all know Gillis reigns King in that department. It's about the reality of the situation - Luongo Wants Out.

Nothing is going to change that. Luongo gets to choose where he wants to go. Gillis has no leverage.
Gillis is king in the lying department? Speaking of articulating arguments, you offer nothing to support your position. Instead, you carry on with mindless hate always geared against the Canucks.

Keep on the good fight. Ignore list you go.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:49 PM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
I just realized I got the title and episode numbers mixed up.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:51 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Your ninja edit is too late sir. You have been quoted

Old
07-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Shhhhh. Nobody will notice.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:52 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
Gillis is king in the lying department? Speaking of articulating arguments, you offer nothing to support your position. Instead, you carry on with mindless hate always geared against the Canucks.

Keep on the good fight. Ignore list you go.
What?

Nothing to support my arguments? Everything is based on facts and events that have transpired ever since Luongo was pulled from the playoffs.

Luongo demanded a trade.
Gillis denies it.
Luongo on the trading block

Pretty clean cut situation.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:53 PM
The Produce Man
Master of Puppets

Amazing thread name is amazing!

Old
07-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
What?

Nothing to support my arguments? Everything is based on facts and events that have transpired ever since Luongo was pulled from the playoffs.

Luongo demanded a trade.
Gillis denies it.
Luongo on the trading block

Pretty clean cut situation.
Since he's blocked you, and you still didn't understand his criticism, I will jump in here.

Show me where and when Luongo has asked for a trade. Find a link. You won't find one. It's speculation with nothing backing it up, that's this thread in a nut shell.

Luongo has said he will do what's best for the team if he is asked. Accepting a trade for one. Playing as the games highest paid, most talented back up is another scenario. Accepting a job as a goalie coach could be another while we're at it.

There is nothing clear cut about this. We have a bunch of media meat puppets who decided some huge names in Parise, Semin and Suter in free agency wasn't big enough to speculate on, and since the Leafs, Canada's biggest hockey team in terms of revenue, need a goalie, and Vancouver, Canada's third biggest team in terms of revenue, has two, boom, news story.

Gillis your "king of lying" is actually in no position to need to lie. He never let's information leak, he's very good about that. That's why trades seem to come out of no where (Ballard, Booth, Higgins, Lapierre, Pahlsson, Hodgson) and why even signings seem to have some kind of mysterious randomness to them, Hamhuis and Garrison aside.

See, supporting an argument. Not claiming "Tambellini is king of the bottom feeders" and using that as a come back.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:01 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Okay, I'm calling it. Luongo+ to CBJ for Nash. Brian Burke immediately does interview laughing at Howson. At the end of November, Reimer retires from hockey and moves to a cloistered monastery on the diametrically opposite side of the planet from Toronto. In a reaction shot on HNIC, Burke turns a shade of red so bright it becomes possible to fry an egg on his forehead. Tests confirm his blood type to be Ragu; Nonis steps in as interim GM during Burke's convalescence. Immediately signs Turco to a 2 year deal, then joins Reimer in seclusion. Charles Wang completes buyout of Maple Leafs, assigns Turco GM duties.

Closed Thread