HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Could Plekanec be the one on the way out ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2012, 06:55 PM
  #201
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I see that, but I was under the impression that cap space wasn't really an issue for the Habs this year. I could be wrong by not having properly factored in raises to the RFAs. For UFAs, I don't see much there this year, but maybe Bergevin sees Parenteau as a worthy investment at the 4 million or so that he's likely to get. I wouldn't bother, but I'm not GM (good thing, too).

About Gomez, it's entirely possible that he's already been gassed, but the team just hasn't announced it yet. But while I see your point about flexibility, I also think that flexibility means seeing whether there is any value to be gotten out of Gomez this year. If he does come back at even a 40 point form with respectable even strength performance, then that to me creates flexibility because it means depth at one of the most important positions.

I have no idea how much say Therrien has on the Gomez affair. Maybe it is totally out of his hands. But again, as a keyboard GM, I would demand from my new coach a blunt assessment of a 7.3 million dollar player only after training camp. To me, expecting anything less is not letting the coach do his job. If Therrien did come back and say, "He's healthy, in shape, and I think I can work with this guy," then that's fantastic, for as long as it lasts. It's certainly better than deciding to pay him 7.3 million to play in Hamilton before the first training camp drill.

I do see your point about giving Bergevin the flexibility to move onwards and upwards free of Gomez, but at the same time I would say to Mr. Molson, "Thank you for permission to burn your money, but I just have to be diligent first and let the man prove his worth or confirm his failure at training camp." And that's not a magnanimous gesture, just good management. If the Habs actually already have 4 decent centres in their roster, then that is good times.

In any event, if I had to make a prediction, I would say that Plekanec will not be moved any time soon. There are just too many less-than-probable things that would have to come to pass before it would be a good move.
You don't have to go after "big fish" UFA's to spend to the cap(or close) and need Gomez' cap room.

there are a few "B" UFA's that may be available for a short contract and decent cap hit like Jagr Whitney and maybe Semin. Bouwmeester might be on the block? Radulov? Guys like Salvador Allen and co on defense.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:00 PM
  #202
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby
 
RoyBoyCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lennoxville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,090
vCash: 500
I'd trade Plekanec over Desharnais. Mostly having to do with trade value. I like both equally and think both are good options as our top centre (Although ideally, I think both would be an excellent #2 centre on a championship team). But when Galchenyuk is ready, we can trade Plekanec probably for a handsome return and run Gally/Desharnais/Eller as our 1-2-3 for the future. Unless people can look past the "size issue" which actually isn't an issue for Desh at all, and see him for the quality player that he is, I don't think we'll ever get fair value for him in a trade. Galchenyuk and Eller are both adept defensive centres, especially a year or two from now, so I see room in our top 3 lines for a mostly offensively #2 centre in Desharnais. Plekanec's defensive prowess may not be as needed with two Hossa-clones at #1 and #3. I think Desharnais is a pure winner too, love his energy, determination, drive.

My view on it.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:35 PM
  #203
fredflag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Lars Eller did not prove anything... yet. He can become a good 2th line center, a good 3th line or a clone of Jan Bulis (everybody remember Jan Bulis?).
I love DD, but he did it for one year, can he repeat and be stable and consistant throug the years?
Gomez prove us 10 times over he is a wash put player, if you think he can miraculously bonce back from two abyssal season, your dreaming, he is gone before the start of the traning camp or before the start of the season.
Plekanek is our only stable center, even on the long term, just imagine this team having Galchenyuk on the first, DD on the second and Plekanek on the 3th?

fredflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:54 PM
  #204
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,613
vCash: 500
Anyone wanting to trade Plek is insane ,your head is not correct.

How many other forwards in the NHL last year played over 260 plus MINUTES on the penalty kill like Tomas Plekanec?

Tomas Plekanec averaged 3 mins 5 seconds a GAME last year on the penalty kill.

One of the most Under appreciated players , big time .

Montreal had the Second BEST penalty kill in NHL! just a point behind NJ Devils.

88.6% MTL -89.6 %NJ

Again , Plek on the way out? , who ever feels that should shake your heads.


Last edited by Habaneros: 07-02-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:26 AM
  #205
fredflag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Anyone wanting to trade Plek is insane ,your head is not correct.

How many other forwards in the NHL last year played over 260 plus MINUTES on the penalty kill like Tomas Plekanec?

Tomas Plekanec averaged 3 mins 5 seconds a GAME last year on the penalty kill.

One of the most Under appreciated players , big time .

Montreal had the Second BEST penalty kill in NHL! just a point behind NJ Devils.

88.6% MTL -89.6 %NJ

Again , Plek on the way out? , who ever feels that should shake your heads.

AMEN!
Don't forget he is able to put 50pts a years and barely miss a game per year for the last 6 year or so.

fredflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:14 AM
  #206
groovejuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,844
vCash: 500
I also think it's logical to assume if the Habs are really trying to sign Jagr, it is to play with Plekanec.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:53 AM
  #207
Sawyer
Wheeeee
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,107
vCash: 500
The team practically dies without Plekanec on all three aspects of gameplay
ES, PP and PK all take a big hit that we don't have anyone in place to do what he does nor do most teams

ES TOI = 1169.40 73rd among forwards
PP TOI = 250.10 51st in the league among forwards
PK TOI = 260.58 2nd in the league among forwards
Total TOI = 1680.48 13th in the league among forwards

When you start looking at the other guys in the top 30 and seeing their TOI, no one comes close to eating up all three mins that Plekanec does. All others in the top 30 come no where close to the PK TOI that Pleks does

The team is no where near ready to lose him

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:16 AM
  #208
Zorba
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DELTA BC
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
How bout we give Pleks bonafide NHL players to play with instead of sticking him with 3rd and 4th liners. They guy is so under valued by a lot of fans. The guy never said boo about anything. Always hard on himself. Never complains. Total team first guy. THere will be a gaping while on of his wings this year. Gionta is good, Bourque not so much. Still dont understand why MB didnt want Jagr to help Pleks out.

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:46 AM
  #209
baldrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Of course Plekanec isn't needed,we have Gomez.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:55 AM
  #210
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
Of course Plekanec isn't needed,we have Gomez.
I wouldn't laugh too hard because that's very well how it could end up.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:07 PM
  #211
yianik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,860
vCash: 500
DD had a very good year, centering a line that scored just over a goal a game. Looking forward to watching him this year.

Pleks as people have pointed out played the tough minutes, didnt have scoring wingers and was the mainstay on th PK. MB sees this, got Prust for character, toughness and as an elite PK guy to take the load off Pleks so he can more focus on offense. MB also acknowledges Pleks needs wingers to score with. Have always liked Pleks.

Eller I like, seems to be an NHLer. Dont know if hes a 3rd liner, 2nd liner, though kind of doubt hes a first liner.

Gomez. Dont know, dont know, dont know. Do know hes had 2 lousy seasons.

Gally. Dont know if hes a 1st liner, 2nd liner, when he will make it to the NHL or even whether he will make it to the NHL although seems, seems likely.

If DD is the real deal, if Eller is at least a solid 3rd line center ( better really improve at face-offs ) and if Gally is everything we hope he is and is at least a top 2 center, then maybe you can look at trading Pleks (would hate to see him go) for a big missing piece needed to help make us a contender. Until then, please, cmon, be serious.


Last edited by yianik: 07-03-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling
yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:20 PM
  #212
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Just me thinking here. But with Deharnais,Eller,Gomez,( Galchenyuk )and Plekanec at center.

And none of the formentioned are going to be 4th line players.

We all know that Gally will not be in Montreal on opening day.

Could Eller not play a big part as second center behind Desharnais ?

What if Gomez went back to his old ways under Therriens new coaching style and given more liberties in carrying the puck ( his style of game ) and not asked to dump and chase which was obviously not his game at all.

Don't get me wrong, i don't dislike Plekanecs but he is a fairly good playing card for management ( contract wise ).
The Habs need depth. Pleks is P Bergeron. Get real folks. This is embarrasing

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:21 PM
  #213
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
I'd trade Plekanec over Desharnais. Mostly having to do with trade value. I like both equally and think both are good options as our top centre (Although ideally, I think both would be an excellent #2 centre on a championship team). But when Galchenyuk is ready, we can trade Plekanec probably for a handsome return and run Gally/Desharnais/Eller as our 1-2-3 for the future. Unless people can look past the "size issue" which actually isn't an issue for Desh at all, and see him for the quality player that he is, I don't think we'll ever get fair value for him in a trade. Galchenyuk and Eller are both adept defensive centres, especially a year or two from now, so I see room in our top 3 lines for a mostly offensively #2 centre in Desharnais. Plekanec's defensive prowess may not be as needed with two Hossa-clones at #1 and #3. I think Desharnais is a pure winner too, love his energy, determination, drive.

My view on it.
Get real Gally could be a bust

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:17 PM
  #214
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man
 
MsChanandlerBong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
I'd trade Plekanec over Desharnais. Mostly having to do with trade value. I like both equally and think both are good options as our top centre (Although ideally, I think both would be an excellent #2 centre on a championship team). But when Galchenyuk is ready, we can trade Plekanec probably for a handsome return and run Gally/Desharnais/Eller as our 1-2-3 for the future. Unless people can look past the "size issue" which actually isn't an issue for Desh at all, and see him for the quality player that he is, I don't think we'll ever get fair value for him in a trade. Galchenyuk and Eller are both adept defensive centres, especially a year or two from now, so I see room in our top 3 lines for a mostly offensively #2 centre in Desharnais. Plekanec's defensive prowess may not be as needed with two Hossa-clones at #1 and #3. I think Desharnais is a pure winner too, love his energy, determination, drive.

My view on it.
I see this comment all the time.DD is great and yes, he never gives up...a great team player, but you can't use this as a reason for why Plekanec can be replaced because (except for maybe Gorges) there is not a single player that cares more about Montreal than Plekanec. The guy has never taken a shift off, he has never complained about being placed with garbage players continually or being told to focus on his defensive game rather than shine offensively like DD does (and trust me, he can do it even better). All I'm saying.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:35 PM
  #215
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Plekanec days are numbered. It will come to a decision between DD and Plekanec. And DD is more productive and in an upward swing. Plus he is an elite franco player, which counts for a lot for the Montreal Canadiens. He has the heart of a champion. plekanec on the other side has always been criticized with reasons for is soft play. He is afraid to go to the net and into the corners, plus defensively he is regressing with an horrific -20 last year. This is his last contract with the Habs as he will be replaced by Galchenyuk in the next 3 years.

Here's Plekanec recognizing his style of play : http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...42/actions.jsp

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:37 PM
  #216
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
I see this comment all the time.DD is great and yes, he never gives up...a great team player, but you can't use this as a reason for why Plekanec can be replaced because (except for maybe Gorges) there is not a single player that cares more about Montreal than Plekanec. The guy has never taken a shift off, he has never complained about being placed with garbage players continually or being told to focus on his defensive game rather than shine offensively like DD does (and trust me, he can do it even better). All I'm saying.
When he was put with Patch and Cole last year he failed miserably, or else he would have kept playing with them has being the veteran center. Only his failure kept him from our best winger.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:37 PM
  #217
rockjngo
Registered User
 
rockjngo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,156
vCash: 500
there's nothing wrong with pleky. why does everyone want to trade him? trade gomez, trade desharnais.

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:38 PM
  #218
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg
 
LaurentHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 500
If we are going to move Plekanec, I would think it were to be next year during the draft. Hes still got lots to give, but in 13-14 Galchenyuk will mostlikely take a spot in the top6 and he could be the odd man out since he has a good trade value + somewhat "significant" caphit.

LaurentHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:39 PM
  #219
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
there's nothing wrong with pleky. why does everyone want to trade him? trade gomez, trade desharnais.
Plekanec is the odd man out, no matter how we look at it. Galchenyuk's readiness will be the end of soft Plekanec.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:53 PM
  #220
Rosso Scuderia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Plekanec is the odd man out, no matter how we look at it. Galchenyuk's readiness will be the end of soft Plekanec.
If they trade Plekanec, they would want an even better center in return. I see you call Plekanec soft in almost every of your posts but I never seen you call Eller or DD soft.. and let's face it, they are no grittier than Pleky.

You have no idea how valuable a good two-way center that can pot 20 goals is.

Plekanec is doing exactly what the organization asked him to do. He helps the team much more than you think/understand.

DD, Eller, Gomez.. is that how you want the Habs to be in the centerline next season? Plekanec is the most important piece at the center position in our team. If DD, goes down, Plekanec will do just fine with two powerforwards on each side.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:56 PM
  #221
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,585
vCash: 500
Put him in a package deal to get Evander Kane.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:11 AM
  #222
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
If they trade Plekanec, they would want an even better center in return. I see you call Plekanec soft in almost every of your posts but I never seen you call Eller or DD soft.. and let's face it, they are no grittier than Pleky.

You have no idea how valuable a good two-way center that can pot 20 goals is.

Plekanec is doing exactly what the organization asked him to do. He helps the team much more than you think/understand.

DD, Eller, Gomez.. is that how you want the Habs to be in the centerline next season? Plekanec is the most important piece at the center position in our team. If DD, goes down, Plekanec will do just fine with two powerforwards on each side.
DD and Eller are not soft, you will see them go to the net often and in the corners. Facts are facts, Plekanec ''Shy'' away from those area. Like i said Galchenyuk will be a better center that will replace him. We can use Plekanec to acquire some other parts. He is not a good two way player has people try to portray him. He is goog in PK, yet he is -20 in 5 on 5 play. That again is another fact.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:44 AM
  #223
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg
 
LaurentHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Put him in a package deal to get Evander Kane.
This. If Evander Kane doesnt want to resign @ WPG it is what WE Need. Evander Kane would be amazing for this team.

But not for any price. We aint giving Pleky as part of a "we dont want you anymore" deal for Evander. Has to be a fair, this isn't a salary dump, Pleky's got lots of great hockey left in him.

LaurentHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:53 AM
  #224
Rosso Scuderia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
DD and Eller are not soft, you will see them go to the net often and in the corners. Facts are facts, Plekanec ''Shy'' away from those area. Like i said Galchenyuk will be a better center that will replace him. We can use Plekanec to acquire some other parts. He is not a good two way player has people try to portray him. He is goog in PK, yet he is -20 in 5 on 5 play. That again is another fact.
This just proves you don't know the game that much. Using a meaningless stat, in a year where the Habs are dead last, just to prove your point. Let me remind you that Gionta, was out for more than half season.. and Bourque how was absolutely terrible both side of the ice. How the **** you want Plekanec to have a good season with almost no legitimate top 6 wingers to play with almost all season long.


Everyone who watches the game properly would know Plekanec is a good two-way player.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:11 AM
  #225
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
This just proves you don't know the game that much. Using a meaningless stat, in a year where the Habs are dead last, just to prove your point. Let me remind you that Gionta, was out for more than half season.. and Bourque how was absolutely terrible both side of the ice. How the **** you want Plekanec to have a good season with almost no legitimate top 6 wingers to play with almost all season long.


Everyone who watches the game properly would know Plekanec is a good two-way player.
please, dont quote him/her.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.