HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

5 more years

View Poll Results: no playoffs, extension or not
yes 216 61.02%
no 138 38.98%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2012, 12:15 AM
  #101
JVReemer
Registered User
 
JVReemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by conway902 View Post
Burkes 2008 1st round draft pick was one of the best rookies in the league last year.

That would show that it is little premature to call his 2009 is a bust.
This is a good point.

JVReemer is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 12:25 AM
  #102
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
should he stay or should he go?
I'll answer with a question - if he is not patient enough for a 5 year rebuild why does he (or others) expect that fans should be patient with him?

number72 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 12:26 AM
  #103
htpwn
Registered User
 
htpwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Poland
Posts: 12,947
vCash: 500
No, he doesn't deserve an extension at this point.

Like Ron Wilson, he has had zero on-ice success. Show fans something beyond a high draft pick for once.

htpwn is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 12:28 AM
  #104
bobg1
Registered User
 
bobg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: bc
Country: Canada
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
kessel trade was the worst ever, we got a player for 5 years, never will play in the playoffs for the leafs, then kessel jumps ship. sequin and hamilton would of benn here for atleast 10 years.
5 years never got a goalie or a top center, leafs will never compete for the cup.
another 5 years of rebuild
Whatever you think about the Kessel trade he has performed WELL in T.O. with 100 goals and about 200 points.

bobg1 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 12:31 AM
  #105
northstarnicky
Registered User
 
northstarnicky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
I voted yes because we are in a much better place now than 5 years ago. Way better prospects and way better young talent all up on the big club.

And, I voted yes as it seems to _iss of the OP. Why start a poll if you may not like the results??? Curious?

You seem to want to tar and feather the 63% of us that want Burkie to remain here. Also, Curious?

northstarnicky is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 02:28 AM
  #106
Soupsta*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 191
vCash: 500
You may be one of the stupidest individuals to ever contribute to a Leafs discussion, cup67.

You apparently can see into the future since you know the exact terms (which you continue to state as 75 mil over 10 years) Kessel will want in 2014.

Your reasoning for why Phaneuf won't resign is because "he can go f himself" and because "he'll want to keep the hair he has left." AND your reasoning for why both Kessel and Lupul might not resign is because they want to go back to the USA, Lupul you seem to know he'll specifically want to go back to California (because they treated him so well as a Duck).

And again you tell us the future when you say that Kessel won't mesh in a Carlyle system (Carlyle has said before he's extremely impressed with Kessel and allows him to play a speedy game), and that Lupul won't see eye-to-eye with Carlyle (even though they've reportedly settled their issues).

Will Kadri play on Leafs in 2012, and if he doesn't work his way up by then, we should release him right? Because clearly even though he's going slower than expectations but still building his talent well, he's useless and should go.

ALSO, I enjoy how you said in the first post that Burke is no good at making trades. This one made me laugh the most. I don't think Burke has lost a trade since coming in. Nashville no longer has Slater or Lebda, so we basically got Lombo and Franson for free (especially because those players are completely useless). Calgary still struggling with the players that remain from the Phaneuf deal, which we clearly one. The only one you can possibly argue is the Kessel one, and the only reason we don't look like geniuses for that one is because Burke couldn't tell the future that Leafs would be 2nd overall pick AND because there is still no center to feed Kessel the puck. Burke is a great trader, possibly one of the best in the NHL at it. Check your facts.

BUT MY FAVORITE PART of this ridiculous thread post is when you said all of Burke's picks are hit and miss. Since he came into the organization in November 2008, Burke has made 29 draft picks. One has played in the NHL (Kadri), and the highest pick he has gotten was the 2012 5th overall pick, which he recently used on Morgan Rielly. There are 3 players from 2009 who remain in organization playing well (Kadri, Ryan, Blacker), 4 players from 2010 who have impressed in their Jr. leagues since being picked by Burke (McKegg, Carrick, Granberg, Ross) From the 2011 draft, players like Biggs, Percy, Broll, Sparks, and others have done well in Junior leagues and at training/prospect camps. Burke in 2012 continued to build on our defensive prospect depth with additions like Rielly, Finn, and Loov (who in prospect camp has already looked better than 7th rounder, too early to tell though). To say any players who are at max 21-22 years old are "hit and miss" when they are nowhere near finished developing is absolutely moronic and I think we should proclaim you Troll of Trolls just for that comical statement.

So, Leafs Nostra-****ing-damus, with your wonderful futuristic guessing that is none more believable than a typical Eklund rumor, explain to me why Burke SHOULDN'T get an extension. Next time you make a thread dissing the teams general manager, get your facts straight first.

Soupsta* is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 02:42 AM
  #107
GhettoHockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
lets say we do get seguin and we dont trade for kessel I think kessel is a 100 point man on boston

GhettoHockey is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 02:54 AM
  #108
tacoburrito
Registered User
 
tacoburrito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 519
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupsta View Post
You may be one of the stupidest individuals to ever contribute to a Leafs discussion, cup67.

You apparently can see into the future since you know the exact terms (which you continue to state as 75 mil over 10 years) Kessel will want in 2014.

Your reasoning for why Phaneuf won't resign is because "he can go f himself" and because "he'll want to keep the hair he has left." AND your reasoning for why both Kessel and Lupul might not resign is because they want to go back to the USA, Lupul you seem to know he'll specifically want to go back to California (because they treated him so well as a Duck).

And again you tell us the future when you say that Kessel won't mesh in a Carlyle system (Carlyle has said before he's extremely impressed with Kessel and allows him to play a speedy game), and that Lupul won't see eye-to-eye with Carlyle (even though they've reportedly settled their issues).

Will Kadri play on Leafs in 2012, and if he doesn't work his way up by then, we should release him right? Because clearly even though he's going slower than expectations but still building his talent well, he's useless and should go.

ALSO, I enjoy how you said in the first post that Burke is no good at making trades. This one made me laugh the most. I don't think Burke has lost a trade since coming in. Nashville no longer has Slater or Lebda, so we basically got Lombo and Franson for free (especially because those players are completely useless). Calgary still struggling with the players that remain from the Phaneuf deal, which we clearly one. The only one you can possibly argue is the Kessel one, and the only reason we don't look like geniuses for that one is because Burke couldn't tell the future that Leafs would be 2nd overall pick AND because there is still no center to feed Kessel the puck. Burke is a great trader, possibly one of the best in the NHL at it. Check your facts.

BUT MY FAVORITE PART of this ridiculous thread post is when you said all of Burke's picks are hit and miss. Since he came into the organization in November 2008, Burke has made 29 draft picks. One has played in the NHL (Kadri), and the highest pick he has gotten was the 2012 5th overall pick, which he recently used on Morgan Rielly. There are 3 players from 2009 who remain in organization playing well (Kadri, Ryan, Blacker), 4 players from 2010 who have impressed in their Jr. leagues since being picked by Burke (McKegg, Carrick, Granberg, Ross) From the 2011 draft, players like Biggs, Percy, Broll, Sparks, and others have done well in Junior leagues and at training/prospect camps. Burke in 2012 continued to build on our defensive prospect depth with additions like Rielly, Finn, and Loov (who in prospect camp has already looked better than 7th rounder, too early to tell though). To say any players who are at max 21-22 years old are "hit and miss" when they are nowhere near finished developing is absolutely moronic and I think we should proclaim you Troll of Trolls just for that comical statement.

So, Leafs Nostra-****ing-damus, with your wonderful futuristic guessing that is none more believable than a typical Eklund rumor, explain to me why Burke SHOULDN'T get an extension. Next time you make a thread dissing the teams general manager, get your facts straight first.
ich bin impressed

tacoburrito is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 03:09 AM
  #109
JackJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
if the leafs dont make the playoffs, should burke get an extension?
should we believe him that in the next 5 years he will make the leafs a contender.,
Why should he get ten when others get five or less?

His plan failed when he put all of his cards in the Wilson basket. Kept him two years longer then he should have and acquired players to fit Wilsons coaching style, not his own.

FIRED!!!

JackJ is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 03:46 AM
  #110
Leafs24Seven*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 1000 Islands Usa/Can
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Absolutely an extension! I think cups67 is really steve simmons, nuff said

Leafs24Seven* is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:08 AM
  #111
Dalton
Registered User
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ho Chi Minh City
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
Absolutely not. He has been outperformed by several of his peers during his time here. Clearly there are better people for the job. His problems with the press smack of a lack of something that just seems to be a unique Burke issue. This is a big market, get over it already.

I believe the condo salesman that hired Burke probably thought he was hiring a competent and entertaining Irishman to run his team and sell tickets. But Leafs' fans deserve more than that.

Time to move on. Like two seasons ago.

Too many excuses from him and his fanboyz. That should be enough of a warning sign.

Dalton is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:12 AM
  #112
93KILLER93
Registered User
 
93KILLER93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Ownersip can give Burke an extension all they want....If they miss the playoffs again,its going to be ugly and Brian won't be welcome back... The writing is on the wall in big bold letters.HE can't afford to strike out this offseason and he knows it.

93KILLER93 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:22 AM
  #113
WolfgangAmadeusEller*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Burlington
Country: United States
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
so far 54% of leaf fans, forgive him for saying he would make this leaf team a condender in 5 years, now they believe him again that he will turn this ship around again. wow
Stockholm syndrome.

WolfgangAmadeusEller* is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 05:42 AM
  #114
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,066
vCash: 500
Absolutely. Burke has built our prospect pool to respectability. I cant remember the last time the Leafs could say. Decades, likely. His worst trade acquired an elite scorer whos young. So his contracts up in two years. Hes given no indication he wants to walk.

Ken Holland made a comment this past year in support of Burke, saying that it takes 10 years before you can judge a GM. Burke entered a situation in Toronto which was worse then most GMs acquire when they take over a team. It was bad. Really bad.

blasted_Sabre is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 06:09 AM
  #115
Dalton
Registered User
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ho Chi Minh City
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Absolutely. Burke has built our prospect pool to respectability. I cant remember the last time the Leafs could say. Decades, likely. His worst trade acquired an elite scorer whos young. So his contracts up in two years. Hes given no indication he wants to walk.

Ken Holland made a comment this past year in support of Burke, saying that it takes 10 years before you can judge a GM. Burke entered a situation in Toronto which was worse then most GMs acquire when they take over a team. It was bad. Really bad.
So where did the Leafs get all these prospects that the pre-lockout regime kept trading away to make a push for the cup?

This notion is rediculous. Burke has been trading away everyone he didn't aquire and many are beginning productive careers as we speak.

Dalton is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 07:48 AM
  #116
Drew311
Whitey Whackers
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
So where did the Leafs get all these prospects that the pre-lockout regime kept trading away to make a push for the cup?

This notion is rediculous. Burke has been trading away everyone he didn't aquire and many are beginning productive careers as we speak.
Who exactly did he trade away from the previous regime who are have productive careers?

Hagman, Antropov, Ponikarovski, Blake, Stajan, Toskala, Mayers, Kaberle, Stempniak, Mitchell??

Do you really think any of these players are flourishing with their new teams, and would you want any of these players back on the Leafs? Really?

Burke kept the right pieces like Grabovski, Gunnarsson, Reimer, Kulemin and Frattin.

To say any different would be completely ridiculous.

Drew311 is online now  
Old
07-04-2012, 07:51 AM
  #117
dirk41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by conway902 View Post
Burkes 2008 1st round draft pick was one of the best rookies in the league last year.

That would show that it is little premature to call his 2009 is a bust.
It is, of course, too early to say that Kadri a bust, but did he go to college for three years? Is Kadri a defenseman? Apples and oranges.


Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarnicky View Post
I voted yes because we are in a much better place now than 5 years ago. Way better prospects and way better young talent all up on the big club.
The Leafs SHOULD have a better prospect pool than they did five years ago--they have had five straight bottom-ten finishes. The previous five seasons (up to 2006-07) the Leafs made the playoffs three times (finishing in the top ten of the league each season) and outside of the playoffs twice. As their draft position has improved, their ability to obtain prospects has improved as well. Good job, Burke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Ken Holland made a comment this past year in support of Burke, saying that it takes 10 years before you can judge a GM.
Do you need ten years to evaluate his UFA signings, almost all of which have been terrible failures?

dirk41 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 08:00 AM
  #118
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil
 
MajorityRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,706
vCash: 500
Absolutely. I believe Burke is the right person to be the GM of the Maple Leafs and I believe they'll be a good/great hockey club in the very near future.

Wasn't one of these polls done just a few months ago with pretty much the same results? Same people saying fire him and the same people saying stay the course? Seems pointless but I voted anyway.

MajorityRules is online now  
Old
07-04-2012, 08:03 AM
  #119
Drew311
Whitey Whackers
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post

Do you need ten years to evaluate his UFA signings, almost all of which have been terrible failures?
Historically it's not the free agent signings that make you a cup contending team. It's the players you draft/develop and trade for that make up the core of a great team.

Drew311 is online now  
Old
07-04-2012, 08:09 AM
  #120
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupsta View Post
You may be one of the stupidest individuals to ever contribute to a Leafs discussion, cup67.

You apparently can see into the future since you know the exact terms (which you continue to state as 75 mil over 10 years) Kessel will want in 2014.

Your reasoning for why Phaneuf won't resign is because "he can go f himself" and because "he'll want to keep the hair he has left." AND your reasoning for why both Kessel and Lupul might not resign is because they want to go back to the USA, Lupul you seem to know he'll specifically want to go back to California (because they treated him so well as a Duck).

And again you tell us the future when you say that Kessel won't mesh in a Carlyle system (Carlyle has said before he's extremely impressed with Kessel and allows him to play a speedy game), and that Lupul won't see eye-to-eye with Carlyle (even though they've reportedly settled their issues).

Will Kadri play on Leafs in 2012, and if he doesn't work his way up by then, we should release him right? Because clearly even though he's going slower than expectations but still building his talent well, he's useless and should go.

ALSO, I enjoy how you said in the first post that Burke is no good at making trades. This one made me laugh the most. I don't think Burke has lost a trade since coming in. Nashville no longer has Slater or Lebda, so we basically got Lombo and Franson for free (especially because those players are completely useless). Calgary still struggling with the players that remain from the Phaneuf deal, which we clearly one. The only one you can possibly argue is the Kessel one, and the only reason we don't look like geniuses for that one is because Burke couldn't tell the future that Leafs would be 2nd overall pick AND because there is still no center to feed Kessel the puck. Burke is a great trader, possibly one of the best in the NHL at it. Check your facts.

BUT MY FAVORITE PART of this ridiculous thread post is when you said all of Burke's picks are hit and miss. Since he came into the organization in November 2008, Burke has made 29 draft picks. One has played in the NHL (Kadri), and the highest pick he has gotten was the 2012 5th overall pick, which he recently used on Morgan Rielly. There are 3 players from 2009 who remain in organization playing well (Kadri, Ryan, Blacker), 4 players from 2010 who have impressed in their Jr. leagues since being picked by Burke (McKegg, Carrick, Granberg, Ross) From the 2011 draft, players like Biggs, Percy, Broll, Sparks, and others have done well in Junior leagues and at training/prospect camps. Burke in 2012 continued to build on our defensive prospect depth with additions like Rielly, Finn, and Loov (who in prospect camp has already looked better than 7th rounder, too early to tell though). To say any players who are at max 21-22 years old are "hit and miss" when they are nowhere near finished developing is absolutely moronic and I think we should proclaim you Troll of Trolls just for that comical statement.

So, Leafs Nostra-****ing-damus, with your wonderful futuristic guessing that is none more believable than a typical Eklund rumor, explain to me why Burke SHOULDN'T get an extension. Next time you make a thread dissing the teams general manager, get your facts straight first.
He lost a few trades and was neutral on a few:
Tlusty for Paradis
Poni for Caputi
Antropov for a 2nd (kenny ryan)
Giggy for Toskala was a wash


Instead I would say he usually breaks even or wins the big trades and has mixed success on the mid sized trades. His trades are still not enough to make the leafs competitive today yet he has improved the team in some key areas - youth and offence. And hurt them in others areas quality of prospects (by losing lotto and top 10 picks) and defence and size (the last two relative to his 2008 team).

It is premature to rank his current drafts and there would be endless debate on if Ryan would ever see NHL etc. If you look at other cities he has been GM - he usually nails his lottery top picks (but so do most GMs - it is hard to screw up a #2 pick). And his results like other GMs are mixed with the lower picks. Also he inherited some nice building blocks from drafts (Reimer, Grabbo, Holzer, Schenn, Kulemin, Gunnar, Frattin, Tlusty,Hayes etc) that are on the leafs or playing elsewhere. He had a prospects, but he has more quantity of prospect today, but like in 2008 what is lacking is the "quality" prospects and especially for goal and at #1C.

number72 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 08:22 AM
  #121
Dalton
Registered User
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ho Chi Minh City
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Who exactly did he trade away from the previous regime who are have productive careers?

Hagman, Antropov, Ponikarovski, Blake, Stajan, Toskala, Mayers, Kaberle, Stempniak, Mitchell??

Do you really think any of these players are flourishing with their new teams, and would you want any of these players back on the Leafs? Really?

Burke kept the right pieces like Grabovski, Gunnarsson, Reimer, Kulemin and Frattin.

To say any different would be completely ridiculous.
Stralman, Stalberg and Tlusty come to mind. I said beginning productive careers. I think you missed my point entirely.

Dalton is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 08:24 AM
  #122
Sundinisagod
tanknation
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,968
vCash: 500
While Burke hasn't done a great job here yet, I would extend him because there are no better options. Also, with a replacement gm, there's a good chance we go back to Peddy and the Board of Dirtectors playing puppet master which is the worst thing possible for the franchise...

Sundinisagod is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 08:28 AM
  #123
Kadri43
Registered User
 
Kadri43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: noneofyourbusiness
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,735
vCash: 500
I don't like how Burke came into the organization and believed that he could make our team better right away. He didn't believe in a rebuild. He traded two firsts and a second for a star winger. He probably wouldn't have traded for Phil had he known that he would finish 2nd last and 9th last. He messed up by not knowing how bad the team actually was. We lost out on Tyler Seguin. He is the solution to the number one centre. We would be well on the right track had burke kept onto his assets.

On the other hand, he has brought in some nice young pieces to build around. When Burke came on board we our best player was Jason Blake. We now have Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, and Gardiner. We have a nice set of prospects as well. With how bad our team has been the last four years our prospects should be much better than they are. Yes Burke accumulated first round choices along the way but they are not elite talent prospects. Other teams have the same if not better prospects as we do.

Burke has turned the team from no hope at all to some hope in 4 years. He should have stockpiled top ended picks and went from there instead of trading them. On the other hand, he made one of the best trades in recent memory in acquiring lupul and gardiner for beauchemin. He's done an OK job. I am on the fence about an extension

Kadri43 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 08:34 AM
  #124
Drew311
Whitey Whackers
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Stralman, Stalberg and Tlusty come to mind. I said beginning productive careers. I think you missed my point entirely.
Are you really losing sleep over these three? It wasn't likely that their careers would have evolved like they have with the Leafs, and players like Grabovski, Kulimen, Frattin and Gunnarsson have improved since Burke came in. He made the right choices IMO.

Drew311 is online now  
Old
07-04-2012, 08:39 AM
  #125
pspot
Registered User
 
pspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,282
vCash: 500
The poll should be how many more years of not making the playoffs would you accept under Burke

pspot is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.