HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs already out of the playoffs, really?

Old
07-03-2012, 09:04 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

vCash: 500
IMO, unless we upgrade our wingers, doubt we will make the PO's ; won't keep up offensively throught 82 games. if the parity is even higher next year, that's good news for another good pick.
Long way to puck drop, so my opinion will probably change until then

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:11 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
... And did we tank our way to winning that 1993 Stanley Cup?
By comparison we had pretty a solid and always competitive squad throughout the 80s and the early 90s. Won a cup in 86. Finals in 89. Couple second round exits against the Bruins.

I don't think we have to tank. But if you arent doing well, assessing your situation, and selling for some youth or picks is not a bad thing. That's not tanking. If tanking happens, then it happens. Detroit may not get top picks but they still draft well and acquire picks. Not to mention that even though Detroit has been feeding itself for a long time, it all started with a rebuild. You need to have some talent to build that self feeding squad.

Last edited by andy28: 07-03-2012 at 09:17 PM.
andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:25 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
The second you say "the playoffs don't interest me," you can go away and are a fake fan. I want the Habs in the playoffs every year, it's the most exciting time of the year sports wise AINEC, to see the Habs out of them is so boring.
Acquiring Galchenyuk and Collberg is far, far, far more interesting to me than getting smacked around in the first round of the playoffs, how about you?

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:48 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Acquiring Galchenyuk and Collberg is far, far, far more interesting to me than getting smacked around in the first round of the playoffs, how about you?
Edmonton FTW.

They are very interesting. Probably one of the most interesting teams in the League. And keep getting more interesting year after year with their success at getting very good picks that have kept things interesting.

**** the playoffs. We dont need no stinking playoffs when we can get good picks year after year.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Edmonton FTW.

They are very interesting. Probably one of the most interesting teams in the League. And keep getting more interesting year after year with their success at getting very good picks that have kept things interesting.

**** the playoffs. We dont need no stinking playoffs when we can get good picks year after year.
I can live with a 2013 1st overall if the hockey god say's that's how it's goona be...

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Edmonton FTW.

Ok, let's use the Pittsburgh Penguins as the example, since they have had the full benefit of seeing their prospects mature and grow into their potential.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLuke View Post
Winning the cup because you had a lot of high pick because you finished last is kind of mediocre and only being good for sucking so long (chigago, pittsburgh, etc...), the true way of doing it is NewJersey, Detroit, Philly style.
Nobody had higher picks in the 80s and 90s than NJ and Detroit... except maybe Pittsburgh and Quebec. Not a surprise at all that all of them went on to win multiple cups in the 90s and beyond.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:00 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
The second you say "playoffs every year above winning a cup", you can go away and are a fake fan.

So who is right?
Not you that's for sure. All it takes is for a goalie to get hot to win a cup in the NHL.

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Or you can strive for competence like the Red Wings organization and forever be considered a threat to win the Cup without having to finish in last place to "rebuild".

Damn, Gauthier/Gainey and Martin really did do serious damage to the psyche of a lot of Canadiens fans.
You mean the Detroit Dead Things? How do you think Detroit got there in the first place? Do you think they just all of a sudden decided to start winning games? They built via the draft man and they landed Yzerman 3rd overall, one of the best players of all-time. They then got lucky with Fedorov and Lidstrom.

Again, Wings, Devils, Pens, Avs... all bottomfed on top picks for a long time. They had to suck before they were great.

The Wings had several superstars leading them to cups. We've had... none. Do you think we'll just get lucky and draft those players 500th overall? We've tried it your way and it didn't work. Enough already... Yes, you can land a superstar late but you can't plan for this. It's not surprising at all that thing have been the way they've been for as long as they have. There's been nothing but short term knee jerk reactionary moves.

Are you telling me you're upset about getting Galchenyuk? Would you have rather finished 8th with a 1st round exit? You think we'd be better off than having the draft we just did? Seriously?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:13 PM
coolasprICE

I truly believe we can contend for the semi's and possibly conference championship within 7 years.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:15 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
IMO, unless we upgrade our wingers, doubt we will make the PO's ; won't keep up offensively throught 82 games. if the parity is even higher next year, that's good news for another good pick.
Long way to puck drop, so my opinion will probably change until then
I agree with you. The team, as it is now is not a playoff team.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Undertakerqc

The Habs will be fighting for another lottery pick this year, which is perfect for our rebuilding...

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Other than the top line we have the same problems with the second line. And no big centers. Our D squad is the same: Our biggest problem was with the loss of Hammer we didn't have the Top 3 guy to fill those big minutes. Bergie didn't give us that guy. It didn't have to be a big star like Suter but someone like Beauchemin would have solidified the whole thing. I know Bergie is new but come on, we need that scoring dept and fixing the D problem. It's two guys, basicaly. It would be ideal, you have FB for 3 years then Tinordi take his place down the line.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:30 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Edmonton FTW.

LA
Pittsburgh
etc. etc.

You can't honestly mediocrity is better than being bad for a season or two.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Rosso Scuderia

I remember last season, in order to win, you have to have Price to play an excellent.. and an offensive support from the 1st line.. That was how we were able to win a game. We almost never had 2 working lines. When our first line was flat, there was almost no chance for us to win the game.

If Therrien decides to keep the DD's line intact, I'm afraid we will be seeing the same thing again. Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta line looks terrible at ES.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:35 AM
Dean Ambrose
I AM A MERCENARY

vCash: 133
I want the team to make the playoffs, but if they didn't, I wouldn't be angry. It'd be good for the rebuild for another year or two until we have the young talent we need to build around. If we're heading in the direction of a LA, Pittsburgh, etc. type rebuild, then I'm not angry if we don't make the playoffs for another year or two. That's not saying I don't want us in the playoffs, but I'm not angry if we don't make it.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:05 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
I agree with you 100% . Regular season=boring , playoffs=exciting. I want to watch the habs in the playoffs every single year
The regular season is not boring. I love watching every single Habs game, good or bad. And I look forward to watching them become better in the regular season the next 3 years, because that means they are becoming a contender, not a fluke number 8 crap team that has no chance at the cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Man, you must be absolutely thrilled with the hockey you've seen from Montreal since 1996. In the playoffs most of the time, no real shot at the cup, 8th place finishes and 1st and second round exits... I mean, who could ask for anything more?

That's what REAL fans are all about right? REAL fans are about mediocrity. That's why Toronto fans are the BEST in the world!
They will never get it LG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
By comparison we had pretty a solid and always competitive squad throughout the 80s and the early 90s. Won a cup in 86. Finals in 89. Couple second round exits against the Bruins.

I don't think we have to tank. But if you arent doing well, assessing your situation, and selling for some youth or picks is not a bad thing. That's not tanking. If tanking happens, then it happens. Detroit may not get top picks but they still draft well and acquire picks. Not to mention that even though Detroit has been feeding itself for a long time, it all started with a rebuild. You need to have some talent to build that self feeding squad.
Good post. You win the cup by being consistently good, year after year, not by fluking to number 8. Kings? They have been good for a few years, Carter and Richards made them better at exactly the right time, which is what you do in the year you finally seriously contend. They are a damn good hockey club. They do not apply to our discussion. In fact, they reinforce the argument that mediocre teams do not win the cup, ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
You mean the Detroit Dead Things? How do you think Detroit got there in the first place? Do you think they just all of a sudden decided to start winning games? They built via the draft man and they landed Yzerman 3rd overall, one of the best players of all-time. They then got lucky with Fedorov and Lidstrom.

Again, Wings, Devils, Pens, Avs... all bottomfed on top picks for a long time. They had to suck before they were great.

The Wings had several superstars leading them to cups. We've had... none. Do you think we'll just get lucky and draft those players 500th overall? We've tried it your way and it didn't work. Enough already... Yes, you can land a superstar late but you can't plan for this. It's not surprising at all that thing have been the way they've been for as long as they have. There's been nothing but short term knee jerk reactionary moves.

Are you telling me you're upset about getting Galchenyuk? Would you have rather finished 8th with a 1st round exit? You think we'd be better off than having the draft we just did? Seriously?
No one here remembers how bad Detroit was, for 30 years. How did the sucking stop? As LG says, with the best draft picks.

You wanna go for 30 years without a cup and being awful like the Dead Things? Then keep asking for 8th place finishes every year, and you'll get it.

Pitts? Exactly the same thing.

No memory on this board some times.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:12 AM
supertzar

As it presently stands, if most things break right (Markov, Gionta, Bourque) the Habs can make the playoffs but likely bounced early. It's that dreaded 11-9 finish that really sucks. I see the presently constituted Habs finishing in that range.

supertzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:36 AM
Dont Poke Subban

i dont think the habs need another draft like we just had this year. this team should just focus developing players. just look at getzlaf and perry. they were drafted 19th and 28th respectively. we dont always need to draft high. look at maxpac and subban. drafted low, yet became key players to our team.

i want the team to make the playoffs every year. its just not fun watching the playoffs w/o the habs. who knows we might have another run like in 2010, or better. that team barely made the playoffs and probably less competitive than the team we have right now.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:55 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

All I know is the next season can't start soon enough so I stop seeing speculative threads such as: Plek on his way out, Bourque is on the block, Habs are bottom feeders for next two years, blablabla... So sick of those.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote