Notices

The Official Jaromir Jagr Discussion Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 09:36 PM
batmansuncle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
If Jagr's healthy, expect to make the playoffs. 15/17 years!

i more so meant to say i dont even care right now about the playoffs... just feels good that our GM can actually make moves that help the team

One thing for sure our pp is gonna be oodles better!

I also like how GMJN mentioned how excited Faksa was today that he gets to meet Jagr. Apparently his fav player growing up

batmansuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmansuncle View Post
i more so meant to say i dont even care right now about the playoffs... just feels good that our GM can actually make moves that help the team

One thing for sure our pp is gonna be oodles better!

I also like how GMJN mentioned how excited Faksa was today that he gets to meet Jagr. Apparently his fav player growing up
I know, you're just glad to have a competitive, exciting team. Stars were so close last year and he wouldn't go to Dallas without expecting they would make the playoffs.

Just about any Czech forward would be excited to play with Jagr.
Is Dvorak still on the Stars?

Radek Dvorak, Stars forward -- "I had a chance to play with him on the national team and it was always an honor. He's been awesome for the NHL. When he left for the KHL in Russia, he was the best player there. Guys like him you don't see very often. He's an older generation guy, and turning 40, it's awesome to see him still playing in the NHL. … Before he left for the KHL, he was one of the best players in the game, the best European by far. We have a lot of good European players, but he was dominating every year he was playing in the NHL."

Tomas Vincour, Stars forward -- "Growing up, he was my favorite player, of course. He's been in the NHL for years and then the last few years he’s been in the KHL, he’s showed that he’s a first-class player. He came back and he’s still one of the best players in the NHL. … Back in 1998, the Olympics in Nagano, he scored a huge goal against the USA. I watched that tournament every day, every single game. That's a moment that stuck with me in my mind. The first time I saw him for real was at the airport. I always wanted to see him on the ice and get to see him play."

That's it for Stars' quotes, but there's 36 more from last season here:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=616940

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:48 PM
batmansuncle

Quote:
I know, you're just glad to have a competitive, exciting team. Stars were so close last year and he wouldn't go to Dallas without expecting they would make the playoffs.

Just about any Czech forward would be excited to play with Jagr.
Is Dvorak still on the Stars?

Radek Dvorak, Stars forward -- "I had a chance to play with him on the national team and it was always an honor. He's been awesome for the NHL. When he left for the KHL in Russia, he was the best player there. Guys like him you don't see very often. He's an older generation guy, and turning 40, it's awesome to see him still playing in the NHL. Before he left for the KHL, he was one of the best players in the game, the best European by far. We have a lot of good European players, but he was dominating every year he was playing in the NHL."

Tomas Vincour, Stars forward -- "Growing up, he was my favorite player, of course. He's been in the NHL for years and then the last few years hes been in the KHL, hes showed that hes a first-class player. He came back and hes still one of the best players in the NHL. Back in 1998, the Olympics in Nagano, he scored a huge goal against the USA. I watched that tournament every day, every single game. That's a moment that stuck with me in my mind. The first time I saw him for real was at the airport. I always wanted to see him on the ice and get to see him play."

That's it for Stars' quotes, but there's 36 more from last season here:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=616940
no Dvo this year. Maybe Jagr can teach vincour how to put up some points

batmansuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Starsdude

vCash: 500
Jagr. Awesome.

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:24 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLsnipers View Post
Interesting that they had Hrdina talk to him. That's a pretty huge impact from one scout in a short amount of time between what I'm sure was a lot of input on the Faksa pick and now Jagr.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Satan
why did she go

Man oh man i love this signing

Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:32 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

JEts fan here.

Very nice off season for the Stars. Feels like your organization is turning a corner right now in many ways. Your owner is showing he is not a straw man and he is giving Joe some leash. He loves hockey and wants to win.

Lites will enjoy marketing this team allot more now

The Whitney and Jags signings show a big commitment to your patience. I hope that doesn't sound weird given their age but it allows your prospects time to bake in the oven longer. Both these guys are quality individuals and adding them will significantly change your culture. Jags will show Benn, Roy, and all the young players what it takes to be a committed pro on and off the ice and I would never underestimate the return on that investment.

Cody Eakin has a cabin near mine at the lake. You got a winner in that one.....the kid will be a very nice 3rd line player and is a solid pick up.

My three favorite prospects around where we picked were Trouba, Faksa, and Lindholm..... The Jets took Trouba and I was thrilled and then I was shocked when Faksa was still around At pick #13. I LOVE Faksa and believe you got a steal. Now with your off season FA signings you won't have to rush him.

Winnipeg signed Olli Jokinen for 2 years at a $4.5 cap hit and it was an awesome signing by our GM Chevy. Our biggest hole was a big bodied top 6 centre and this signing fills the gap and allows us to take our time with Scheifele and not rush Burmi. Atlanta had know issues putting 18 year olds in the line up and our Managment is on the record saying they will be really patient bringing prospects along slowly. We all agree with the new plan but it does create a void of new talent for 2 to 3 years so I love plugging the holes with short term high quality assets even if they are pricy.

we both seem to be following a similar path.....good luck and what a huge week for the Stars.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Interesting that they had Hrdina talk to him. That's a pretty huge impact from one scout in a short amount of time between what I'm sure was a lot of input on the Faksa pick and now Jagr.
Jiri was the one who helped him acclimate to the US in his rookie year, so I would guess Jagr would really respect his opinion of the Stars' organization and players.

Neither was crucial overall in the '91 Cup run, but both were important in getting them out of the first round against New Jersey that year.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:25 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Maybe I'm just being a negative nancy but I can't shake the feeling that this is just Arnott (Roy) and Lindros (Jagr) all over again.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:04 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Holy cow, just got back from work.... UNREAL!!!!!!! Loving it so much right now!

MB94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:08 AM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Maybe I'm just being a negative nancy but I can't shake the feeling that this is just Arnott (Roy) and Lindros (Jagr) all over again.
If Jagr is healthy, I doubt you'll feel that way next season.

I think many said that when Jagr went to the Rangers... where they hadn't made the playoffs in ages with Lindros, Messier, Richter, Leetch, Gretzky, etc. Granted, that was a few years ago, but Jagr's still an impact player when healthy. Lindros had completely lost a big part of his game by the time he went to Dallas. He really shouldn't have even been playing at that point.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Alistar

Quote:
Well it may be that Jagr gets hurt, that's the risk you take with every free agent signing. The thing is these are one year gambles - if they work out great, if not then the Stars aren't really any further behind than they were 1 week ago. We didn't give up any future assets to get these guys after all.

I think the value that they can provide is well worth the risk.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:25 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
I don't really see the comparison. Arnott was brought in as a 20-something as part of the hope of the future. Lindros was a hope and a prayer that he wasn't done and was coming off recent serious injuries.

To me, this offseason's acquisitions strike me much more as being analogous to those made by the Texas Rangers when their crop of good young prospects were still 1-2 years away from being impact players. These are exactly the types of acquisitions we needed to a "T" in my opinion.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:05 AM
Dave Karp

vCash: 940
Got off work and saw this signing and I'm elated. He's not going to be a Selke winner, nor is he going to be dominant as he used to be but one has to think he can contribute and give some sort of boost to the PP. Now, I was never a huge Ribs fan but one has to wonder what they could've done on the PP together.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:00 AM
Vandalay Industries

Quote:
If Jagr is healthy, I doubt you'll feel that way next season.

I think many said that when Jagr went to the Rangers... where they hadn't made the playoffs in ages with Lindros, Messier, Richter, Leetch, Gretzky, etc. Granted, that was a few years ago, but Jagr's still an impact player when healthy. Lindros had completely lost a big part of his game by the time he went to Dallas. He really shouldn't have even been playing at that point.

Jagr is not healthy. He's closing in on 41 and does not have enough left in the tank to be a first line player in the NHL.

Play him few minutes and save him for the PP. That is clearly his main asset, and when the team is on the PP it doesn't matter that the guy doesn't play any defense whatsoever.

Vandalay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:10 AM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay Industries View Post
Jagr is not healthy. He's closing in on 41 and does not have enough left in the tank to be a first line player in the NHL.

Play him few minutes and save him for the PP. That is clearly his main asset, and when the team is on the PP it doesn't matter that the guy doesn't play any defense whatsoever.
He wasn't healthy last year. Dallas should limit his ice time to 15-16 min/game, like the Flyers did. ~12 min at even strength and 3-4 minutes on the PP. He has, can and will play through most injuries and still maintain effectiveness, but if he has another groin injury, he should rest it and not try to play/train through it like he did last season.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Vandalay Industries

Quote:
He has, can and will play through most injuries and still maintain effectiveness.

Yep, he sure was impressive in the second half of the season

Old
07-04-2012, 06:10 AM
Hzzz

I believe that Jagr can still produce over 80 points

Hzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:16 PM
NHLsnipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osk1994 View Post
I believe that Jagr can still produce over 80 points
With Benn its easily possible. Jagr is good for 20G 60A with the right goal scorers around him.

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:29 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Not sure if srs. He only put up ~50 with Giroux.

That said, I could see Eriksson and Benn getting him to around 60. 15-45-60.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
With Benn its easily possible. Jagr is good for 20G 60A with the right goal scorers around him.
If he's healthy, I think 20-25 G & 40-45 A is very possible. Not really worried about linemates, it's not like he's going to playing with scrubs.

It will be interesting to see how he fares in the west. I can see the logic of a slower system being more suited to his game at this point, and the other teams haven't played against him as much. I can also see how a tighter-checking conference where he hasn't played against the other teams as much could stifle his production some.

If he's fighting groin injuries all year, it's going to be a long season. If he's healthy, I think some will be surprised.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:15 PM
ScubaSteve*

Quote:
Despite hilarious posts like this, I'm very excited about Jagr.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:40 PM
NHLsnipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Despite hilarious posts like this, I'm very excited about Jagr.
Ok, maybe take out the "easily" part.

I see a healthy Jagr with 15G 35A on the downside and 25G 60A on the upside.

Thats assuming he plays 80 or so games and is on the 1st PP unit the whole time. PP is huge for him.

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:05 AM
Vandalay Industries

Quote:

Thats assuming he plays 80 or so games and is on the 1st PP unit the whole time. PP is huge for him.

That is so cute. Reminds me so much of last years hype in Flyers...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=946809&page=4

Old
07-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:

60 assists would have made him second in the league this season in assists. There's no way he goes from playing with Giroux to playing on the Stars and sees his numbers go up.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote