HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens sign Mike Lundin

Old
07-04-2012, 12:54 AM
playasRus

vCash: 500
Don't count Lyamin out for the 12-13 season

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:06 AM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Don't count Lyamin out for the 12-13 season
had he not signed that 2-year deal in the khl, he might have pushed for the Norris. He's that good, imo.

:sarc asm:

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:12 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Lundin will be an excellent defender for us next year that will really help Phillips defensively. Phillips will be the physical force on that pairing while Lundin will be the great positional defender that allows Phillips to wander a bit. This will help Anderson BIG time.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Lundin will be an excellent defender for us next year that will really help Phillips defensively. Phillips will be the physical force on that pairing while Lundin will be the great positional defender that allows Phillips to wander a bit. This will help Anderson BIG time.
Basically Phillips - Lee, imo. I know Lee had his haters or whatever, mais je m'en fous.

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:27 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabokov20 View Post
Basically Phillips - Lee, imo. I know Lee had his haters or whatever, mais je m'en fous.
Basically, but I think Lundin will be playing like when Lee does at his best all the time. Lee was still kind of raw in his play, Lee had a more physical side but not as strong positionally. I think Phillips needs someone more positionally sound to help him play better.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:28 AM
Rumcajs

All comments below are from TB posters on Lundins game...

Bottom pair, nothing more or less than a solid bottom pair guy. Ok passer, ok at staying at home too. You'll like him more than Gilroy.

He is very solid positionally, he plays the gap very well, he has a nice outlet pass. Just a really smart player. He is not physical however. I have always felt that he is better against skilled top players than big bottom line forwards just because he can't do much against them in the corners. But he is a very solid defenseman who can play in your top 4 if you need him to. ITs a good signing IMO

Very smart dman, good one-on-one player, and positional sound. He can play 20 minutes and defend against other teams top guys. He's a very dependable player defensively. Don't expect him to contribute offensively. He plays without much physicality and relies on his stick. He can be ineffective if teams play physical against him because he's not very strong.

He's one of those guys you never notice. Meaning he won't do anything special offensively or throw big hits, but he makes very few mistakes too. Very solid 3rd pairing guy, or can play 2nd pairing as long as he has a good partner.

No offense, very good defense, 3rd pair, could play in 2nd too if needed

Positional defensive dman, great skater (apart from that one time he got burned by Seguin (still remember it )), soft as charmin, possibly the worst shot i have ever seen (other than Artyukhin's one timer).

#4/#5 dman, great against skill teams (can play 20 minutes if needed), gets wrecked by hard forechecking teams (needs to be sheltered).

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:38 AM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabokov20 View Post
yeah no kidding. except that lee was a rhs, more physical, and younger.

God Says No is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:13 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
yeah no kidding. except that lee was a rhs, more physical, and younger.
no kidding.

we got a new lee who isnt lee. Might be worse, might be better, but he's still essentially brian lee.

I get that we're supposed to be a rebuilding team. I get the idea of moving out underachieving players from the old regime to replace them with murray guys who might work out.

But what the **** was wrong with brian lee again?

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:14 AM
Ice-Tray

Perhaps we should let the man play a few games before we attach labels... Just a thought...

Ice-Tray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:08 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
no kidding.

we got a new lee who isnt lee. Might be worse, might be better, but he's still essentially brian lee.

I get that we're supposed to be a rebuilding team. I get the idea of moving out underachieving players from the old regime to replace them with murray guys who might work out.

He was completely expendable.

His ceiling was so low that the team figured he could be moved in an attempt to upgrade the team without losing anything in the long-term, and even though the trade ended up not working out, the price paid for the experiment was so low that we were essentially able to replace him on UFA day for nothing.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:29 AM
sens2k9

Quote:
no kidding.

I think Brian Lee may have quietly asked to be moved.
He wanted to be in the lineup every game (can't blame him for that) when it was clear he wasn't going to be in our lineup every game.

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:35 AM
operasen

I hope Lundin does not get in Borowiecki's way to make the team this year and actually play some minutes. Phillips - Boro to start.

Is Lundin a 2 way by chance? I think he didi Lundin before he knew he could do Methot, who is the guy he really wanted.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
He was completely expendable.

His ceiling was so low that the team figured he could be moved in an attempt to upgrade the team without losing anything in the long-term, and even though the trade ended up not working out, the price paid for the experiment was so low that we were essentially able to replace him on UFA day for nothing.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Yeah, that's how I see it too. He was below replacement-level.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:58 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Brian Lee's play here in Ottawa has reached mythic proportions. There will never, ever be another Brian Lee.

ChocolateLeclaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:19 AM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
no kidding.

It's pretty impossible for fans to speculate on a player's character or attitude without being around the team on a day to day basis. But the impression I got from Lee is that while he was a "don't rock the boat" type of guy who wasn't going to make a big fuss about not playing, I don't know if he was overly driven and willing to take the next step.

There has to be a reason that multiple coaches on the team didn't deem him worthy of an everyday job. The few times I've seen him interviewed, he didn't appear to be overly personable and despite him being a member of the team for a number of years, I have never heard of him being a part of the social group with any teammates. Again, complete speculation by someone not privy to the dressing room dynamics but he just came off as an awfully vanilla personality who may not have ever felt comfortable fitting into the team dynamic.

While that would not be reason alone to jettison him from the organization, it certainly makes him easier to remove if you're looking to go in another direction.

And as I mentioned in another thread, I don't think Murray has ever really wrapped his head around the fact that Lee never developed into the smooth skating PMD who could generate offense as he was originally advertised. It was admirable that he developed other parts of his defensive game to compensate for this but I don't think Murray and co. were ever really sold on him in any other capacity than as a PMD and if he wasn't going to be that, then he probably wasn't going to be a fit here longterm.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:47 AM
koreaboy

lee was a muckler draft pick so murray was never really invested in him. i always had a soft spot for lee, i think he had some nice qualities, but he was definitely a replaceable player.

as for lundin, it's still a bit of a headscratcher for me. if we are going to fill that spot with a FA and take up a spot that could go to an up and coming kid, it should have been a CLEAR top-4 NHL defenceman, not a bottom pair guy who is replaceable.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Dick Grayson

Lundin is a boss. Stop hatin', yo.

Dick Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:54 AM
alpine4life

to all those who complains, I like this guy. For the price he cost us, he is a solid Defensive DMan pricewise.

But no he aint no Norris trophy winner.

He should do good matched with Karlsson, one goes up, the other one stays back

Last edited by alpine4life: 07-04-2012 at 11:13 AM.
alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:01 AM
JMac13

How people can actually be upset with this signing is beyond me...

We got an NHL defenseman, for a decent price, on a 1 year deal. What is the downside here? You can never have enough defensive depth

JMac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
It's pretty impossible for fans to speculate on a player's character or attitude without being around the team on a day to day basis. But the impression I got from Lee is that while he was a "don't rock the boat" type of guy who wasn't going to make a big fuss about not playing, I don't know if he was overly driven and willing to take the next step.

There has to be a reason that multiple coaches on the team didn't deem him worthy of an everyday job. The few times I've seen him interviewed, he didn't appear to be overly personable and despite him being a member of the team for a number of years, I have never heard of him being a part of the social group with any teammates. Again, complete speculation by someone not privy to the dressing room dynamics but he just came off as an awfully vanilla personality who may not have ever felt comfortable fitting into the team dynamic.

While that would not be reason alone to jettison him from the organization, it certainly makes him easier to remove if you're looking to go in another direction.

And as I mentioned in another thread, I don't think Murray has ever really wrapped his head around the fact that Lee never developed into the smooth skating PMD who could generate offense as he was originally advertised. It was admirable that he developed other parts of his defensive game to compensate for this but I don't think Murray and co. were ever really sold on him in any other capacity than as a PMD and if he wasn't going to be that, then he probably wasn't going to be a fit here longterm.
Some parts of this are obviously true but I disagree with some of it.

Brian Lee went from having the body of a 13 yr old boy just a few years ago to being arguably our most physical defenseman this past season. He clearly dedicated himself to his fitness. He appeared to be driven.

He was part of the team. Via twitter there was always chatter about him with Condra, Turris etc. saw him out a bunch of times with the rest of the players. Was part of the support for the Capital City Condors along with Carkner.

I would say there is something to be said for a guy who stuck it out with an organization when there was never full support for him, to change his game, figute out what he needed to do to be an NHL regular. Good example for young prospects.

If he quietly asked to be moved, then good for him to get his wish. I truly believe he was never handled properly by the organization. Despite outplaying multiple guys at times. Contracts and/or "Murrays guys" always got in the way. He was never given the chance to play confident. Id much rather have a homegrown guy on our team than a 1yr FA signing but thats part of the business.

I think Lundin should be a solid player for us and like the signing.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:34 AM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Some parts of this are obviously true but I disagree with some of it.

Brian Lee went from having the body of a 13 yr old boy just a few years ago to being arguably our most physical defenseman this past season. He clearly dedicated himself to his fitness. He appeared to be driven.

He was part of the team. Via twitter there was always chatter about him with Condra, Turris etc. saw him out a bunch of times with the rest of the players. Was part of the support for the Capital City Condors along with Carkner.

I would say there is something to be said for a guy who stuck it out with an organization when there was never full support for him, to change his game, figute out what he needed to do to be an NHL regular. Good example for young prospects.

If he quietly asked to be moved, then good for him to get his wish. I truly believe he was never handled properly by the organization. Despite outplaying multiple guys at times. Contracts and/or "Murrays guys" always got in the way. He was never given the chance to play confident. Id much rather have a homegrown guy on our team than a 1yr FA signing but thats part of the business.

I think Lundin should be a solid player for us and like the signing.
yeah, the "he asked to be moved" explanation is the only one that makes sense to me. none of the "he wasn't in the plans", "expendable", etc ones do.

btw, i like the lundin signing as well. just a very odd one when you realize we had a player like that in the system last year.

God Says No is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:01 PM
JoeSakic

I agree with Legend. I'm not a Brian Lee man crush type, but I do think he was, for a good portion of time a more than serviceable NHL dman who outplayed other dmen on this team but was passed over.

He never developed into an offensive dman but he certainly was smart enough and capable enough to change his style to suit his circumstance. I do think BM would have been wise to keep him with Ottawa but I do understand there was redundancy between him and Carkner.

He would have been a great 5/6 for us this year...Lee Phillips would have been a fine tandem.

JoeSakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:13 PM
TrueGrit

Quote:
no kidding.

100% agree with this post. I was always a Brian Lee fan, played a simple, well rounded game and felt he worked great with Phillips. I often wonder what was wrong with him in management and coaching's eyes and the only thing that makes sense to me is..

He was a dick.

I really just think from the guys in the room, all the way up to the coaches and management just didn't like him and if that's the case, **** 'em

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:22 PM
R2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGrit View Post
100% agree with this post. I was always a Brian Lee fan, played a simple, well rounded game and felt he worked great with Phillips. I often wonder what was wrong with him in management and coaching's eyes and the only thing that makes sense to me is..

He was a dick.

I really just think from the guys in the room, all the way up to the coaches and management just didn't like him and if that's the case, **** 'em
I dated a girl for a couple years whose best friend was dating Brian Lee for a while when he was in Ottawa - i've heard he was out of favor with the management there because of personality issues. Take from that what you will.

R2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:25 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1989 View Post
I dated a girl for a couple years whose best friend was dating Brian Lee for a while when he was in Ottawa - i've heard he was out of favor with the management there because of personality issues. Take from that what you will.
I heard this exact, exact same quote from a guy I used to work with a year ago... so we might know eachother.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote