HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Sit and Think Things Through Thoroughly (Matt Carle signed with Tampa Bay)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Damaged Goods

vCash: 500
The Flyers preference to supplement through free agency rather than trades... need for a top 6 forward... desire to throw some money around... Howson and Murray driving hard bargains... Suter and Parise probably not coming here... Jagr signing in Dallas... thousands of signatures already collected in Glendale... my crystal ball is showing me that events should conspire to put Shane Doan in a Flyers uniform.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:05 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
The Flyers preference to supplement through free agency rather than trades... need for a top 6 forward... desire to throw some money around... Howson and Murray driving hard bargains... Suter and Parise probably not coming here... Jagr signing in Dallas... thousands of signatures already collected in Glendale... my crystal ball is showing me that events should conspire to put Shane Doan in a Flyers uniform.
I think the odds of Doan signing here are just as good as suter or Parise signing here. And I don't want him anyway. I'd honestly rather trade for Ryan or evn sign Semin before Doan.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:36 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I think the odds of Doan signing here are just as good as suter or Parise signing here. And I don't want him anyway. I'd honestly rather trade for Ryan or evn sign Semin before Doan.
You're out of your mind. don't get too enamered with flashy numbers. Shane Doan would be a tremendous signing for a young team that could sorely use veteran leadership upfront. Yes, he's getting older and no he's not the player he was 5 years ago, but when you look at the Flyers, what they need, and what it'll cost to acquire.... Doan is as good a value as any player outside the big two.

I trust Doan over the next 4 years to make a difference as much or more than I trust Semin over the same timeframe.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:51 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
You're out of your mind. don't get too enamered with flashy numbers. Shane Doan would be a tremendous signing for a young team that could sorely use veteran leadership upfront. Yes, he's getting older and no he's not the player he was 5 years ago, but when you look at the Flyers, what they need, and what it'll cost to acquire.... Doan is as good a value as any player outside the big two.

I trust Doan over the next 4 years to make a difference as much or more than I trust Semin over the same timeframe.
I agree Doan is a workhouse, big body forechecker on the wing that is great along the boards...he would thrive in laviolette attacking system..He also has an above average shot and with giroux feeding him and hartnell grinding with him it could be a tremendous line. Not to mention he is a class act, a great leader, and is hungry to win.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:02 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post

Well 4-5 years ago he did get his career highs in points....but beyond then, he is still that player. He's always been a 50-65 point player, even in his younger years. He even destroyed his two previous seasons in hit totals last season at 35 years old. Sorry for nitpicking

Doan's been my top choice for a couple weeks now. Rather have him than overpay Parise and/or Suter.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:10 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

I dont think Doan is even fielding offers until next week is he? even then its likely he goes back to Phoenix. I like him, but its a big time long shot IMO

Old
07-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I dont think Doan is even fielding offers until next week is he? even then its likely he goes back to Phoenix. I like him, but its a big time long shot IMO
He wants to stay in Phoenix. He's been in that franchise forever. He will re-sign there if there ownership situation gets worked out over the next week. However, I feel pretty confident from everything I've read that the ownership situation in Phoenix will almost assuredly be as murky next week and probably next month as it is today. I think Doan finally comes to the realization that it isn't going to happen and does sign elsewhere.

However, I doubt he goes far. He'll want to stay close and have an immediate chance to win. LA seems obvious. Dallas and San Jose would also be quite attractive. In order to come to Philly, I think a lot would have to change over the next week.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:22 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

well the options are beginning to thin out for a scoring winger. I am not counting on Parise. if he signs great. If not at least I wont be dissapointed.
Not sure if they can swing a trade or not because we would most definitely have to give up 2 more forwards for Ryan or for Nash(just say no). That would hurt our depth even more.
There really are no easy answers now unless we sign Parise.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:46 AM
YuioIklo

Brian Lawton ‏@brianlawton9

Sorry about late night ...... Just back in town. Not sure yet on Parise but word is Ryan Suter will be playing for the MN Wild next season!

That guy is actually legit. Timing is so weird, it's hard to believe.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:49 AM
BillDineen

My list of fears, in order, as this drags on:

1- We Sign Carle. He is going to get too much and I fear Homer might do it.
2- Parise and/or Suter sign with Pens
3- We don't sign either
4- We miss out of remaining UFAs

Old
07-04-2012, 02:57 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

If we don't get Suter or Parise i hope they both go out to the west and play for the Wild. If so man did the pens clear cap space for nothing.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:58 AM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post

Sorry about late night ...... Just back in town. Not sure yet on Parise but word is Ryan Suter will be playing for the MN Wild next season!

Well goodbye depth.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:25 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Well goodbye depth.
Goodbye depth?

At this point I hope Suter and Parise sign in Minny. Then I hope we re-sign Carle and grab Doan.

Frankly, I don't want to overpay Suter. We don't need him...or Carle for that matter... And our renewed defense is closer to 2010 than 2012.

(Now, now kids. Don't freak out just yet. Think about it before you throw around nonsense.)

Timonen - Schenn
Coburn - Grossmann
Meszaros - Carle/UFA

is FAR superior to our playoff lineup:

1/2 Timonen - Carle
Coburn (our only DEFENSEman) - Grossmann's left leg
LOLja - Gustafsson (though playing like his life depends on it)
Concussion Bourdon - 500 lb Kubina still hurt
Manning? - Walker?

If we don't renew Carle, just go after Weber or Enstrom next year. Our defense will be much improved this year, and amazing if we land one of them to replace Timonen.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:42 AM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

Parise/Suter to Minnesota? Rather them than us honestly. I would really like Matt Carle back. Hopefully Holmgren goes out at throws some money at guys like Mueller, Winnik, even Doan or Semin. Maybe Holmgren takes a huge run at Ryan or Nash? At least if both Parise and Suter sign in Minnesota the market opens up.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:55 AM
BillDineen

Please please please pass on Carle and trade for D at deadline. Deeper UFA D pool next season.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:59 AM
BillDineen

On another note, I bet someone offers Doan 25 over 5. 16 over 4 seems too cheap in this market.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:48 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflyerfan1992 View Post
Taylor Pyatt gone to New York. They get another big body who can put in a lot of garbage goals. Perhaps Dubinsky is on the block?
Pretty decent signing for the Rangers, I think. Sure, Pyatt is a frustrating player because you always think that he can be better than he is, but he's at least a steady bottom-sixer who brings some size and is pretty decent defensively. Plus he'll chip in a goal here and there. Solid replacement for Fedotenko.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I'm quite OK with the flyers sitting pat here.

There is no need to make a move. This is the time to put faith in your scouts and your drafted talent. Oh hell, we might even have some cap space to make a splash at the deadline too for the first time in 10 years.

Hartnell - Giroux - ?
Simmonds - Schenn - Voracek
Briere - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Holmstrom - Talbot
Wellwood

Timonen - Gustaffson
Coburn - Grossman
Mezaros - Schenn

I have a great deal of faith in Gus, I believe the flyers brass are extremely high on him also. I will take a massive hit on this, but I believe he will be another Timonen. For anyone worried about his defensive side, he was only a +12 last season. I personally think that he's here to replace Carle this season. He will be solid defensively and will put up similar numbers offensively given PP time.

For claudes right wing dilema, There are several options available in free agency. Semin for one year, Doan. There are also options available through trade, and i'm not talking about nash here.

Old
07-04-2012, 07:53 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post

This came up this morning (first thing I saw):

RT @RenLavoieRDS: J'en parlais le premier juillet de voir Suter-Pariser jouer pour la même équipe. On sait que c'est maintenant l'objectif.

Translator: I was talking on July 1st to see Suter-Pariser play for the same team. We know that it is now the objective.

Old
07-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
There are several options available in free agency. Semin for one year, Doan.
Why would Semin sign a one year deal?

As an aside: The Flyers could sign Semin for cheaper than Nash, cost them no assets, and his production is basically 10-15 points below Nash. His production would go up playing with G as well.

Old
07-04-2012, 08:22 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Why would Semin sign a one year deal?

As an aside: The Flyers could sign Semin for cheaper than Nash, cost them no assets, and his production is basically 10-15 points below Nash. His production would go up playing with G as well.
Well, Semin's done it a few times. And a similarly great player (Hossa) did it before. Not saying he will, but it happens.

Old
07-04-2012, 08:33 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Please please please pass on Carle and trade for D at deadline. Deeper UFA D pool next season.
This is the path I really want to see them take. Someone is going to overpay for Carle, and I don't want it to be us.

Old
07-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Well, Semin's done it a few times. And a similarly great player (Hossa) did it before. Not saying he will, but it happens.
Looks like it. He's done a 2 year, 1 year, 1 year.

Old
07-04-2012, 08:43 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Semin did it a few times to get to UFA faster.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:32 AM
RespectTheCouts
Couts=0 offense

At this point I hope Suter and Parise both go play for the Wild, kind of makes them both hometown heroes, plus that would mean they don't go to Pitt

Closed Thread