HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Brian Burke on the Fan 590 at 5:20 p.m.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Vexxed14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillingbroom View Post
So you believe that every GM should gut a team before they leave, to show their new loyalty? Last time I checked its a GMs team to build championship team, and if they can't they should take few steps towards it, not several steps backwards. You'd be hard pressed to find a recent championship team built by a single person.
Sometimes one must step backwards in order to move forwards

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:34 PM
daveleaf

I just wish Burke would shut up at times and not say anything. His statements at times are polarizing and contradicting. Why can't he just say, " We didn't make the playoffs so really every position could be upgraded". End of story.

Him saying last years woes were from goaltending alone that is BS. Goaltending was a part of it. They stopped scoring, teams loaded up on Kessel and Lupul and others failed to pick up the scoring. We had no grit, were thrown around like rag dolls some nights and had veterans in the lineup ( Komisarek, Armstrong and Lombardi and Connoly ), that were either hurt or just plainly suck.

This team has a lot of holes. A good start would be a number one goalie and centre but far from being a complete team then.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:36 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

I think the McClement deal might be one of his best for this team so far.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 1963–64, 1966–67 and 1969–70 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 1970–71 and 1972–73. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 1970–71, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Kirkpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
So are you saying whatever he does is fine. He brings in Colin Wilson your fine with that? (I would be, but that wouldn't be a 1st. line center.)

Sounds like you won't hold him accountable, because already it is changed to just someone better than Bozak, not a 1st. line center.

When standards start slipping it isn't long before you have no standards.
Where did standards start slipping? As far as I'm aware, Burke said today that he "had a shot" to upgrade the first line centre (and goalie) position. That doesn't lead me to believe that he's lined up a bonafide #1C. If he were to bring in, as you say, a Colin Wilson, I would be okay with that (as long as it wasn't at the expense of significant youth/picks) - but I wouldn't consider that a solution to finding a true #1 C, and I'd sure hope that Burke wouldn't either.

Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:40 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Thats nonsense though, and you completely ignored the rest of my post because you know that you're spewing.

Certainly he's a Leafs employee, but that doesn't mean he's disloyal. His performance with the Leafs will be a key moment in defining his NHL career, and has serious implications for his future. If he is completely unsuccessful who is going to hire him as a GM? Or if he has interest, who's going to want to promote him to a higher position in management in their organization as he gets older?

He's doing his absolute best to make the Leafs a successful team, and getting them to win a Stanley Cup. To suggest that he isn't is completely ridiculous.

Argue that his best isn't good enough until you run out of breath, but don't suggest that the guy isn't trying because if or when he gets fired "he'll just find another job or retire".
Show me where I said he is disloyal to the Leafs.

I said he's an employee, just like he was for the Whalers, Canucks and Ducks.

The entire point is he'll move on and the fans of the team will remain fans of the team.

He's already moved on from 3 other teams how can you pretend he won't move on and be loyal to the next team that is paying him. That's what he does!!!

His loyalty is bought, has been 4 times.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Thrillingbroom

Quote:
Show me where I said he is disloyal to the Leafs.

I said he's an employee, just like he was for the Whalers, Canucks and Ducks.

The entire point is he'll move on and the fans of the team will remain fans of the team.

He's already moved on from 3 other teams how can you pretend he won't move on and be loyal to the next team that is paying him. That's what he does!!!

His loyalty is bought, has been 4 times.
So you're saying that Burke should only be building the Leafs to have the most success in the final two years of his contract? Because if he wants the Leafs to be successful well past 2014 he is showing loyalty to the Leafs not his future employer?

Thrillingbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Cor
I'm Not Drunk

vCash: 50
The main thing I take from the Burke interview.... is the last 30 seconds, after Burke said there are upgrades at goalie and center out there, McCowan asked if he is talking about them now or will he have to wait for the FA to sort out;

"No, actually a team is calling me right when I get off the phone with you... right now teams that spent a lot of money on July 1... are frantically calling teams who didn't."

Just a gut feeling.... but I think Burke will suprise us all...

ALSO: Anyone know who the biggest spends (cap hit wise) were on July 1?

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:06 AM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
The main thing I take from the Burke interview.... is the last 30 seconds, after Burke said there are upgrades at goalie and center out there, McCowan asked if he is talking about them now or will he have to wait for the FA to sort out;

"No, actually a team is calling me right when I get off the phone with you... right now teams that spent a lot of money on July 1... are frantically calling teams who didn't."

Here's one of his favorite trading partners

Jul 1 Staubitz, Brad RW Montreal Anaheim $1.275M 2 $637.5K
Jul 1 Allen, Bryan D Carolina Anaheim $10.5M 3 $3.5M
Jul 1 Souray, Sheldon D Dallas Anaheim $11M 3 $3.666666M
Jul 1 Hendry, Jordan D Washington Anaheim $600K 1 $600K

8.4 Caphit

Pretty big spending for July 1st. Didn't go through all of them.

binop7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:28 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post

Bruins, Flames, canucks, hawks, habs, flyers, kings sharks, buffalo are near cap max.
But I think some teams will be in trouble if they sign Parise or Suter. (wild or wings).
And even than, some small market teams will be forced by the owner to lower budget and get closer to cap floor so they are in play too (avs, anaheim, nashville etc).

My prediction is if Parise or Suter go to Wild, than Backstrom (goalie) maybe in play.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:31 AM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
the whole GM called Burke right before probably means someone is asking about one of our guys as opposed to us bringing in the better player. as far as centers available one is Krejci imo Boston wants to move Seguin to center this season and Bergeron down to the #2 hole.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:45 AM
Vallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
How does that not make sense? People can dislike the GM and direction of the team and come to a forum to vent and express those feelings. You think that people are only fans of this team when times are good and their views align with those running it? Maybe if we're all supposed to be bandwagon fans then maybe.
A lot of people here having unrelastic views about this team in general. Burkie has made some mistakes which have been talked about to no end on these forums. Maybe it's time for people here to accept the fact that we don't have Seguin or that Burkie's "quick rebuilding" wasn't successful. However, any informed Leaf fan should be able to look at the overall body of work and be able to say that Burke has done a good job. I look at our prospect pool, the Lupul/Jake trade, the Dion trade...basically have to turn around the entire franchise. There is still lots of work to be done in order for the Leafs to be a serious contender. We are on the right path. Constructive cristism is fine but straight up complaining about some things that won't change gets old really fast.
I'm very impressed with the JVR trade as well as Burkie not signing INSANE contracts. Sure he has done it in the past but the man has learned a lesson. That's the important part.

Vallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:15 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
upgrade yes, not much though. Not worth giving up the assets for if that's what you're asking.
I'd do a deal centred around Franson + for Gagner. Not sure if Edmonton does it

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:31 AM
PlietscherDassel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
You really think that Gagner should be our first line center?

PlietscherDassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:41 AM
jrgtml67

I think Burke will surprise us as well. He was smart to stay out of the "Price is Right," game this time around....and sounds like now teams that have spent a lot of money are going to need to get rid of some of their high to mid-high salary talent, and Burke has spent basically nothing. I can bet when Suter, and Parise sign you will see a bomb of a trade made.......for those dis-believers; I bet if Burke did sign an FA for big money you same people on here that are complaining about him doing nothing yet, would complain about him spending too much. Example...b4 Komi came here is was one of the toughest dman around and looked like he would only get better....Burke signs him and he has been mediocre...BUT maybe he'll flourish under Randy....who knows. All I am saying is I am glad Burke is being patient here, and not willing to over pay. So long as he does go out there and make these big changes he is promising...I am ok with what he is doing.

Food for thought...Poulin the other day also said we would be surprised at the names he has heard thrown around on the phone, and now Burke is saying the same in different words, Burkes words are "teams that spent a lot are looking to unload," basically. So I think we are in for a nice surprise.

jrgtml67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:50 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
So are you saying whatever he does is fine. He brings in Colin Wilson your fine with that? (I would be, but that wouldn't be a 1st. line center.)

Sounds like you won't hold him accountable, because already it is changed to just someone better than Bozak, not a 1st. line center.

When standards start slipping it isn't long before you have no standards.
The term #1C is the most subjective and overused term on these boards.

Burke never used the term #1C, he said they had a "positional" need at centre and believed they could upgrade.

But go ahead and hold him accountable for something he didn't say, you'll find plenty of support.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:00 AM
The Kessel Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Do not want Gagner at all.

The Kessel Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:47 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/07/03...e-roster-moves

Quote:
He was never going to fill the needs in the entry draft and the chances were remote that a big, first-line centre and an experienced goalie from the early days of free agency.

But that doesn’t mean Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke plans to head to training camp without acquiring either big ticket or both. Whether realistic or not, Burke vowed on Tuesday that there is plenty to be done over the next two-plus months.

“I would say that’s not a real possibility at all,” Burke told Sportsnet 590 The Fan radio when asked if the current roster will be the one that reports for camp. “That’s remote. We need to do some more work.

“We believe we can upgrade at those positions, yes.”

Burke acknowledged that the requirements of new coach Randy Carlyle will be different than those of Ron Wilson which is why size will matter in whatever shopping happens. He believes he answered that in part by acquiring big (but not necessarily nasty) winger James van Riemsdyk in the draft-day trade with Philadephia but more needs to be done.

“We need to get some sandpaper in there as well,” said Burke, who also suggested that it wouldn’t hurt for second-year Leafs centre, Tim Connolly, to pick up his game.

As for immediate prospects, it would appear that the standby “nothing imminent” applies, though Burke said teams that locked up money in terms of big contracts on July 1 are “anxiously calling teams that didn’t.”

Whether Burke has the goods to take advantage and whether decent options exist could make for a long summer of trying to make something happen from a prospect that may well be easier said than done.
As I mentioned I think the McClement signing might be one of his best in Toronto. Nonis signing McCarthur was another good signing.

"that’s not a real possibility at all" Sounds like a guarantee of an improved line up. How would you interpret that comment? It isn't possible that this line up won't be improved, from the man who decides.

I'm holding him to it.

Old
07-04-2012, 07:52 AM
jrgtml67

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post

Burke never used the term #1C, he said they had a "positional" need at centre and believed they could upgrade.

But go ahead and hold him accountable for something he didn't say, you'll find plenty of support.
You really think that its going to be Colin Wilson, after all this waiting, and Poulin, saying that we would be surprised at names thrown around, and Burke keeping his trigger finger patiently waiting....I doubt that. Yes he said positionally, obviously...we need an upgrade at center....no if you look at it this way...Bozak was great with Kessel and Lupul last year but is really a 3rd line guy more then likely. With Jay Mcclement, we now have an abundance of centerman but still no #1 go to guy, the closest thing we have is Grabo.

I really think, that Grabo may have to go in order to land a #1 and I hope I am wrong but look at this.

Lupul Bozak Kessel

Mac/Jvr Grabo Kule

Mac/Kadri, Mcclement, Lambo/Connolly

Brown, Steckel, Rosey

We are overloaded. It is any1s guess where they are going to put JVR but if Burke is saying we need a #1 center, and JVR can play that role if need be, that tells me they intend to use him on the wing. I also believe we will see Lambo or Connolly traded, Mcclement is no way no how not making the big club out of camp, they traded for his size down the middle and he is a 3rd 4th line guy. Now if we got a #1 center, I would think that Bozak or Grabo...plus even Connolly or Lambo get the boot AND?OR Mac and Kule...no think about this...maybe a team would like to get the Grabo Mac tandem. Though not as good as 2yrs ago they still put up decent numbers doing that makes room for a number center and also throttles Bozak to the #2 role.

jrgtml67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:07 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
Quote:
http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/07/03...e-roster-moves

As I mentioned I think the McClement signing might be one of his best in Toronto. Nonis signing McCarthur was another good signing.

"that’s not a real possibility at all" Sounds like a guarantee of an improved line up. How would you interpret that comment? It isn't possible that this line up won't be improved, from the man who decides.

I'm holding him to it.
Are you holding him accountable for an improved line up or a #1 centre? I can accept the former because I'm sure he can improve the line up overall.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:20 AM
pspot

to me it sounded like Connolly isn't going anywhere and Burke is maybe hoping he can be the #1C he thought he signed last year

he doesn't want to pay the price for FA or trades at this point so will just go with Connolly. Not really inspiring but i was not impressed with Connolly at all last year.

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:20 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post

Since he joined in 2008 he said #1C and even after signing Connolly. Maybe in his most recent speech he didn't say #1C but why are we excusing him at any rate.

The team needs a #1C not a positional upgrade (ie. another Connolly 2.0).

Old
07-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgtml67 View Post
I think Burke will surprise us as well. He was smart to stay out of the "Price is Right," game this time around....and sounds like now teams that have spent a lot of money are going to need to get rid of some of their high to mid-high salary talent, and Burke has spent basically nothing. I can bet when Suter, and Parise sign you will see a bomb of a trade made.......for those dis-believers; I bet if Burke did sign an FA for big money you same people on here that are complaining about him doing nothing yet, would complain about him spending too much. Example...b4 Komi came here is was one of the toughest dman around and looked like he would only get better....Burke signs him and he has been mediocre...BUT maybe he'll flourish under Randy....who knows. All I am saying is I am glad Burke is being patient here, and not willing to over pay. So long as he does go out there and make these big changes he is promising...I am ok with what he is doing.

Food for thought...Poulin the other day also said we would be surprised at the names he has heard thrown around on the phone, and now Burke is saying the same in different words, Burkes words are "teams that spent a lot are looking to unload," basically. So I think we are in for a nice surprise.

That's exactly what I took from both their interviews as well. Burke also seemed fairly optimistic that we'll have a #1C and a #1G in place before training camp starts. I wonder what names have been thrown around in trade talks?

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Since he joined in 2008 he said #1C and even after signing Connolly. Maybe in his most recent speech he didn't say #1C but why are we excusing him at any rate.

The team needs a #1C not a positional upgrade (ie. another Connolly 2.0).
Acquiring positional upgrades is being on the path to acquiring the item you covet so dearly.

We could blow it all up for a 1C but we wouldn't be any further ahead. The flip side is to grow slowly, build assets and buy your draft picks time. Those are really only the two options.

There is a third option but that hinges on the idea that the assets we have now are enough to land the big fish without gutting us. I just don't think that's our reality right now.

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:47 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillingbroom View Post
So you believe that every GM should gut a team before they leave, to show their new loyalty? Last time I checked its a GMs team to build championship team, and if they can't they should take few steps towards it, not several steps backwards. You'd be hard pressed to find a recent championship team built by a single person.
Except for Burke's Cup winning Ducks. That was all Burkie don't you know? Fans give him full credit for that Cup. He added Nieds, Prongs, Teemu....he was genius.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:52 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
Acquiring positional upgrades is being on the path to acquiring the item you covet so dearly.

We could blow it all up for a 1C but we wouldn't be any further ahead. The flip side is to grow slowly, build assets and buy your draft picks time. Those are really only the two options.

There is a third option but that hinges on the idea that the assets we have now are enough to land the big fish without gutting us. I just don't think that's our reality right now.
My point is if Burke is going to trade for a centre than make it a 1C and not a Connolly 2.0 positional upgrade. Let's not waste time, resources and playoff years on "upgrades".

And I'm fine with the draft and slow rebuild approach but management oscillates between speaking of an impatient accelerated retool by trading for needs now to a slow and more methodical rebuild. Maybe this was more of Burke blowing hot air and so like I said he will disappoint and frustrate fans if he doesn't make a significant type of move for G and 1C.