HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke on the Fan 590 at 5:20 p.m.

Old
07-04-2012, 08:54 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
The main thing I take from the Burke interview.... is the last 30 seconds, after Burke said there are upgrades at goalie and center out there, McCowan asked if he is talking about them now or will he have to wait for the FA to sort out;

"No, actually a team is calling me right when I get off the phone with you... right now teams that spent a lot of money on July 1... are frantically calling teams who didn't."

Just a gut feeling.... but I think Burke will suprise us all...

ALSO: Anyone know who the biggest spends (cap hit wise) were on July 1?
Just curious but are teams going to be calling because they need to shed salary? I dont understand what spending in free agency has to do with trading... excess amounts of players?... I'd definitely say Colorado spent some dough, but they were and are well beneath the cap

Coll added 4m in Pap. Added about 1.5m on Johnson.. added 2.25 in greg zanon. added 1.1 in john mitchell... could see them being interested in getting rid of Statsny.. added some money to downey..

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:00 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
Are you holding him accountable for an improved line up or a #1 centre? I can accept the former because I'm sure he can improve the line up overall.
Both, although if he brings in a building block for that role, I'd be happy.

A win now isn't mandatory in my mind, but Burke decides whether he's in a win now or build for the future scenario. If he brings in a Marleau I'd be happy, if he brings in a Colin Wilson I'd be happy. One is win now one is build for the future.

If he just rearranges deck chairs on this Titanic mess I won't be happy.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:06 AM
MajorityRules*
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Both, although if he brings in a building block for that role, I'd be happy.

A win now isn't mandatory in my mind, but Burke decides whether he's in a win now or build for the future scenario. If he brings in a Marleau I'd be happy, if he brings in a Colin Wilson I'd be happy. One is win now one is build for the future.

If he just rearranges deck chairs on this Titanic mess I won't be happy.
I would think it depends on what is given up if he shifts his mentality to win now mode. By all accounts Burke is still building for the future, however there are assets available to pick up a player like Marleau. I guess what I'm trying to say is I agree in a sense, if he makes holes to fill holes then the team really isn't going anywhere.

MajorityRules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:09 AM
mokspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Just curious but are teams going to be calling because they need to shed salary? I dont understand what spending in free agency has to do with trading... excess amounts of players?... I'd definitely say Colorado spent some dough, but they were and are well beneath the cap

Coll added 4m in Pap. Added about 1.5m on Johnson.. added 2.25 in greg zanon. added 1.1 in john mitchell... could see them being interested in getting rid of Statsny.. added some money to downey..
Yeah, COL just added another ~14.5m to their cap. and they still have to resign RoR and McGinn. I hope he's looking to grab Stastny from them!

mokspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:16 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgtml67 View Post
You really think that its going to be Colin Wilson, after all this waiting, and Poulin, saying that we would be surprised at names thrown around, and Burke keeping his trigger finger patiently waiting....I doubt that. Yes he said positionally, obviously...we need an upgrade at center....no if you look at it this way...Bozak was great with Kessel and Lupul last year but is really a 3rd line guy more then likely. With Jay Mcclement, we now have an abundance of centerman but still no #1 go to guy, the closest thing we have is Grabo.
I didn't mention Colin Wilson, and to be perfectly honest, I know nothing about him.

My point was merely, " I think we can upgrade at centre" does not equate to "I am going to acquire consensus #1C before the puck drops next season."

Therefore one should not hold someone accountable for something that was not said.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:22 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
I didn't mention Colin Wilson, and to be perfectly honest, I know nothing about him.

My point was merely, " I think we can upgrade at centre" does not equate to "I am going to acquire consensus #1C before the puck drops next season."

Therefore one should not hold someone accountable for something that was not said.
We'll just hold him accountable for what he has said.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:24 AM
bgf29

Could see Minnesota needing to shed salary if the double goes down today...

bgf29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:29 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
We'll just hold him accountable for what he has said.
I look forward to that day.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
the whole GM called Burke right before probably means someone is asking about one of our guys as opposed to us bringing in the better player. as far as centers available one is Krejci imo Boston wants to move Seguin to center this season and Bergeron down to the #2 hole.
Krejci's staying in Boston. Please show me where the Bruins want to move Seguin to center because other than here on HF's they've said nothing of the sort.

Seguin will be on the wing for the forseeable future. He doesn't have the devensive game or strength to play the position at the moment. He'll stay on the wing where he can utilize his quick shot and speed to create opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by departures89 View Post
People keep throwing Thomas' name around here. I have a question. Is he not playing next year in general or specifically for the Bruins? If he got traded, has he specified that he would in fact play the upcoming season?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
He was specific saying that he wont be playing even if traded
He's not playing for the Bruins that's for sure. What if he gives Burke an assurance he'll play for him next year? I could definitely see something happen if he does.

I bet that GM was indeed Peter Chiarelli.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:33 AM
TheSlovenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Frog View Post
How about this for a shocker.... Kopitar! With Carter and Richards in LA, perhaps they're contemplating moving Anze??

No one would think he'd be available, but if the Kings were to get a Parise, or a Nash, then maybe they would look to move out Kopitar??
The Kings just won the Cup with Kopitar as one of their best player. Why would they move him?

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlovenian View Post
The Kings just won the Cup with Kopitar as one of their best player. Why would they move him?
Because it makes too much sense

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Maj. Conn Smythe

Burke mentioned in the past that it's hard to make deals with Darcy Regier in Buffalo, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the names being tossed around for goaltending would be Ryan Miller.

Miller is the team USA goaltender and Burke is all too familiar with him in net for the national team. It would take some overpayment, but with the moves made recently by Regier in moving Derek Roy, it shows that Buffalo could be interested in moving out some of the old guard players from the team.

This could be the opportunity Burke has been waiting for that 1A goaltender that has a high salary to move. It would allow for Burke to pick up a goaltender that has small term left and for James Reimer to develop. This move would just make a lot of sense for the Leafs. The payment to acquire Miller though could be steep and it will be up to Burke to see if he wants to pay what Regier would be asking.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:11 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Burke made reference to goalies whose stats look better than they should because of the system that their team plays. e.g. Bryzgalov.

Wondering if he was referring to Bernier or Luongo or both.
Vancouver doesn't exactly play super solid defensive hockey, so I can't see how Luongo's stats might've been padded by the team's play.

Likewise, Bernier hasn't really played in the NHL at all, so there's no indication of a precedent one way or the other.

I would bank on the comments being directed at an inquiry over Halak/Elliot or an offer from the Blues involving one of the two.

Beyond that, I'm not sure who else might have offered a goalie, but the comments from Burke suggest a guy who plays in a defensive-ladden system.

Maybe Theodore/Clemmensen in FLA?

Backstrom in MIN?

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:12 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1927 View Post
Burke mentioned in the past that it's hard to make deals with Darcy Regier in Buffalo, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the names being tossed around for goaltending would be Ryan Miller.

Miller is the team USA goaltender and Burke is all too familiar with him in net for the national team. It would take some overpayment, but with the moves made recently by Regier in moving Derek Roy, it shows that Buffalo could be interested in moving out some of the old guard players from the team.

This could be the opportunity Burke has been waiting for that 1A goaltender that has a high salary to move. It would allow for Burke to pick up a goaltender that has small term left and for James Reimer to develop. This move would just make a lot of sense for the Leafs. The payment to acquire Miller though could be steep and it will be up to Burke to see if he wants to pay what Regier would be asking.
the last time i remember millers name coming up in a rumour it was to chicago for kane. the closest player we have to kane is kessel.

would you be ok moving kessel for miller? im not even sure if regier would make that straight up. you would have to think that considering it is a division rival they would want even more

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:19 AM
The Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgf29 View Post
Could see Minnesota needing to shed salary if the double goes down today...
And when I hear the Leafs are trying to get Nik Backstrom I believe the confusion starts.
Some think Minny goalie (Makes sense) and others HOPE it is for the Caps centre (Wishful thinking).
Nik and Nick of the same last name are making things tricky....

If Minny needs to shed salary...HELLO Nik Backstrom. I am HOPING they do get both Suter and Parise and they have to shed a goalie. perfect that they would need a cheap back-up to replace him. Ben Scrivens would be a perfect match and they could run with Harding.

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:49 AM
colchar
The Keon Curse Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post

Both. Too many players and too much money. Just because teams are not at the cap does not mean that they are not at some internal cap.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Willchel Marlynder
(philer bozel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
Please land Paul Statsny...

Lupul-Statsny-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kulie

Would be an awesome top-6.
Would be amazing if Joey C made some big strides this summer but if not a third line of Kadri-Bozak-Frattin with that top 6 would be nice. Still want Kadri to get top 6 minutes though.

Willchel Marlynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:10 PM
ITM
Make Mine Marner

Quote:
Originally Posted by philer Bozel View Post
Would be amazing if Joey C made some big strides this summer but if not a third line of Kadri-Bozak-Frattin with that top 6 would be nice. Still want Kadri to get top 6 minutes though.
Yup. Eager and interested to see how his progress translates.

For those who followed the Marlies closely this past season, wasn't Joe Colborne thriving prior to injury?

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:11 PM
colchar
The Keon Curse Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1927 View Post

Yeah he said that him and Darcy are great friends but just cannot connect when it comes to what players are worth.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
Yup. Eager and interested to see how his progress translates.

For those who followed the Marlies closely this past season, wasn't Joe Colborne thriving prior to injury?
yes he was. his wrist was the root of the problems and he was slowly showing form towards the end of the playoff run. after the season ended he revealed he's been playing with a bad wrist since november and needs surgery.

07-05-2012, 12:12 AM
Krazy

I know that there are no teams that are in cap trouble, like philly was last year, but do we have any info on which teams are spending a little more than they can afford and may want to shed salary?

The teams that added a fair bit seem to be.
1.) Minny (obviously)" but they dont really seem to have a top center that we would want. Backstrom is a possibility, but I dont see them loading up and relying on harding/hackett.

2.) Colorado: added a few players. They have stasny, who is overpaid but young, american and would possibly thrive with kessel.

3.) Anaheim: added a bunch on D through free agency. Ryan believed to be on block but a winger.

Any teams that may need to shed?

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote