HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Discussion Thread: Part II

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Dick Grayson

vCash: 500
The Euge. Love it.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Id prefer to never hear from Melnyk. Just write cheques. Dont blow people up, dont brag about out scoreboard, dont call team who spend to the cap idiots when we were a cap team 2 yes ago...

Old
07-04-2012, 10:07 AM
bacon25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Looks more and more like Parise and Suter will become a package deal taking their talents to Minnesota!
source? I've heard some of the same things on Twitter but they come from sources which this thread has deemed unreliable.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball8992 View Post
Melnyk needs to learn to shut his mouth. That was actually pretty classless of him to call Nash out like that. Guys already under a ton of scrutiny in Columbus because of his idiot GM, how do you think he feels to be bashed on by an owner. Probably makes any other free agents Ottawa is pitching two second guess if they truly want to be there now too.
do you really believe that?
what a boatload of nonsense.

you think any 27 or 28 year old UFA is going to take that personally. please.
the number of times people on these boards have implied that now no one will sign with team X because of the treatment of a player, a player traded after signing a deal, or comments by a coach or by management.
if that were the case nobody would be playing anywhere.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Anyone remember the embarrassing lengths Oilers management went to to try and get Heatley to OK a trade to Edmonton? The gift baskets and welcome videos?

I think that is more what Melnyk is talking about here. We put in one of the better offers for Nash and he declined. It ends there.

We're not going to send team representatives to his door step to massage his ballsack and tell him how awesome we are, just for him to decline again.

And for all that Melnyk has done for this team we sure have a lot of ungrateful fans.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I tend to agree with Mr. Melnyk. The Senators would be well served to spend as much time in the drivers seat as possible.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
source? I've heard some of the same things on Twitter but they come from sources which this thread has deemed unreliable.
JoshReimerHockey from Sportsnet

Old
07-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyskie View Post
Anyone remember the embarrassing lengths Oilers management went to to try and get Heatley to OK a trade to Edmonton? The gift baskets and welcome videos?

I think that is more what Melnyk is talking about here. We put in one of the better offers for Nash and he declined. It ends there.

We're not going to send team representatives to his door step to massage his ballsack and tell him how awesome we are, just for him to decline again.

And for all that Melnyk has done for this team we sure have a lot of ungrateful fans.
Murray said the other day that they were no longer going after Nash. That should have been the end of it.

Ungrateful fans? For wanting our owner to stay behind the scenes and not get involved in pissing matches?? Meh

Old
07-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

I don't have any problem with what Eugene said. As long as he doesn't impose his great ideas like having a 300 style centurion give a rally speech before a game or sign Kovalev to appeal to Habs fans.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:30 AM
H2O

I loved what Melnyk said. We're lucky to have a passionate owner.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

You don't think it's a good idea to have someone, the head dog in this case, stand up and let everyone know what his organization stands for?

Old
07-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
You don't think it's a good idea to have someone, the head dog in this case, stand up and let everyone know what his organization stands for?
I dont think its necessary. Murray said he(Nash) wasnt going to alter his list and the we werent going to chase him and that we are no longer in discussions. To me, thats fine. I dont need to hear our owner bang on the table about how great our city is and that its such an honour to play here.

Thats just my opinion

Old
07-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

It's not about what you need to hear. It's about what players need to hear.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I imagine for every player that is going to be turned off because the Senators are not really interested in, as Mr. Tyskie said previously, massaging sack there is going to be another one that likes the fact someone is showing some integrity.

Sorry, for the twice in a row.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:39 AM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Considering how this offseason has gone down I kind of like the fact that management/ownership really wants to ensure that Ottawa recruits players that want to be here.

If you can get guys that love the city, and lay down solid roots here then you don't get these stupid scenarios with your star players bailing on you at the first hint of free agency.

Still can't believe that the Dallas Stars(Richards last year), New Jersey Devils, and Nashville Predators were either too stubborn or proud to move out Richards, Parise, and Suter at the trade deadline rather than have them walk for free in the summer. I get that you "need" these players for your playoff run/push, but really what is a better outcome:

A. Player stays for a few months and you "maybe" have some short-term success.
B. You move the player for quality assets that improve the team in the long-term.

Last edited by WantEggRoll: 07-04-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old
07-04-2012, 10:43 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Considering how this offseason has gone down I kind of like the fact that management/ownership really wants to ensure that Ottawa recruits players that want to be here.

If you can get guys that love the city, and lay down solid roots here then you don't get these stupid scenarios with your star players bailing on you at the first hint of free agency.

Still can't believe that the Dallas Stars(Richards last year), New Jersey Devils, and Nashville Predators were either too stubborn or proud to move out Richards, Parise, and Sutter at the trade deadline rather than have them walk for free in the summer. I get that you "need" these players for your playoff run/push, but really what is a better outcome:

B. You move the player for quality assets that improve the team in the long-term.
C. You keep the player and hope you can work out a contract extension before free agency starts.

I'm sure all those teams have made offers and probably hoped they could get them inked with a discount. It's a risky option however as most players who get this far will test free agency and see if they can cash in.

07-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:

Still can't believe that the Dallas Stars(Richards last year), New Jersey Devils, and Nashville Predators were either too stubborn or proud to move out Richards, Parise, and Sutter at the trade deadline rather than have them walk for free in the summer. I get that you "need" these players for your playoff run/push, but really what is a better outcome:

Devils dont get to the finals without Parise.

Nashville doesnt get to the 2nd round without Suter.

Weve heard from our owner how important those playoff games are, those are small market teams you are talking about.

Why didnt Muckler deal Chara?Why didnt Murray deal Volchy at the deadline?? Kuba??

Old
07-04-2012, 10:47 AM
WantEggRoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Devils dont get to the finals without Parise.

Nashville doesnt get to the 2nd round without Suter.

Weve heard from our owner how important those playoff games are, those are small market teams you are talking about.

Why didnt Muckler deal Chara?Why didnt Murray deal Volchy at the deadline?? Kuba??
That is a small way to look at it again though. OK so you are a small market team and the playoffs are super important sure, but what happens next year when that player is gone for nothing?

Now you won't be making the playoffs because that player is gone, and you've got nothing to show for it. This is exactly why I think these GMs are a bit too stubborn for their own good. Making some extra postseason scratch is certainly important, but if it comes at the cost of losing your best players and subsequent playoff runs then who cares.

At the end of the day if you can't get your players signed to an extension a year before they expire then you might as well entertain moving them. For example if in two years Jason Spezza isn't signed to an extension before his UFA season I'd expect to see him shopped if they have an doubt he will resign. To lose Ottawa's number one center for absolutely nothing would royally screw this franchise's future.

If a player respects the team/fanbase/ownership at all then they should make it clear they are going to test free agency before their contract expires. Sitting there saying you're "not sure" like Ryan Suter did all year just puts your team in an uncomfortable position. Frankly these star players get paid a ridiculous amount of money by the team's owners so I think they owe them some honesty when it comes time for them to potentially leave.

Last edited by WantEggRoll: 07-04-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old
07-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Proust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
do you really believe that?
what a boatload of nonsense.

you think any 27 or 28 year old UFA is going to take that personally. please.
the number of times people on these boards have implied that now no one will sign with team X because of the treatment of a player, a player traded after signing a deal, or comments by a coach or by management.
if that were the case nobody would be playing anywhere.
It makes Melnyk look like an idiot, that's all.

Is he under the assumption that no-one on the current roster, or recent rosters, chose Ottawa for the money?

Old
07-04-2012, 11:13 AM
WantEggRoll

Apparently Suter is a done deal to Minnesota for thirteen years.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/161345055.html

The real tragedy here is if Parise does indeed follow then Heatley might actually have a shot at the Stanley Cup. : (

Edit: LeBrun confirming Zach Parise is joining the Wild as well.

Last edited by WantEggRoll: 07-04-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old
07-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Suter and Parise to Team USA **** yea Gordon Bombay!

Old
07-04-2012, 11:19 AM
SenatorsHockey
Sweet hockey body

Jesus.. 13 years.. That's madness. Congrats to the Wild though.

Edit: holy ****, they just signed Parise as well.. :O

I'm glad they both are in the west

Old
07-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Tuna99

Quote:
Apparently Suter is a done deal to Minnesota for thirteen years.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/161345055.html

The real tragedy here is if Parise does indeed follow then Heatley might actually have a shot at the Stanley Cup. : (
Seems like the Western Conference is getting all the big names and free agents - Pitt took a hit dealing Staal, NJ lost Parise, Philly lost JVR - some teams have gotten better like Carolina but overall it looks like the West is winning all the big free agents and the Eastern teams are sort of treading water or getting worse.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:20 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

So if both Parise and Suter go to the Wild, who is expendable from that team? Will they be in cap trouble?

Old
07-04-2012, 11:23 AM
JustinYS

Holy cow that is nuts!

Closed Thread