HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official NHL Free Agency Thread 5.0 (Legit Sources ONLY)

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 10:23 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Official NHL Free Agency Thread 5.0 (Legit Sources ONLY)

Last thread was nearing its limit, continue here.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Let's get Parise

Old
07-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
Let's get Parise
Parise will make any team regret those huge numbers being tossed around. 69 points, lol.. 2 years removed from his last great season.. but someone will give him the farm regardless.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Mr Rogers

Yeah I'd be happy if MB/Dudley (and Price to a lesser extent) can convince Doan to sign here but i'm not holding my breath. Doan's been in Pheonix for so long now, he probably wants to stay on the west coast.

But he could bring scoring depth and intangibles ala Cole.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:32 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rogers View Post
Yeah I'd be happy if MB/Dudley (and Price to a lesser extent) can convince Doan to sign here but i'm not holding my breath. Doan's been in Pheonix for so long now, he probably wants to stay on the west coast.

But he could bring scoring depth and intangibles ala Cole.
There is no chance that Doan signs here. Molson and Bergevin simply won't run after a PR disaster.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:37 AM
MarkersMark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
He has already stated what direction he wants this team to go.

A team that is tough to play against and a team that has character.

-Gave Moen a four year extension.
-Gave Prust a four year contract.

Result: Added toughness to the bottom 6 in the meanwhile, also adding character and leadership, things both Moen and Prust bring to a lockeroom.

So he has succeeded there.

He has also said he doesn't his youth to think they do not have a chance at cracking the line-up.

-Added Nokelainen on a one year contract.
-Added Armstrong on a one year contract.
-Added Bouillon on a one year contract.

Result: Three contracts that are possibly stop-gaps. Once they run their course, two spots become open at the forward position, should any of the youth be ready and one spot is open on defence, likely for Tinordi or Beaulieu, should either or both be ready.

He has said he does not want to add a contract that will work against them and make it hard to work out other contracts under the salary cap.

-Has left Parenteau sign elsewhere.
-Has let Jagr sign elsewhere.
-Not sure if Hudler was a target at any point, but didn't touch that 4 year/$16 million contract.

Result: Sacrificed signing a top 6 player, but in the meanwhile securing that he'll have that money available over the next few years. Jagr could have come in on a one year contract, but for what? A move like that is to put your team in a good position to compete for the Cup. The Habs are still a long way from that, Jagr or no Jagr.

He wants to add a top 6 player but at his terms. So far, it has not happened but we'll see. For the most part, he's done exactly what he said he's wanted to do. Only one step left.
Great post. I think Bergevin will make his presence known at the deadline and draft of next season. There's no point in signing Jagr when all it will do is take away from our draft position. We're not a playoff team so why plug the holes with mercenary one year contracts? Oh yeah, because our fans feel entitled to immediate results and want to scarf down popcorn while watching a 40 year old legend score the odd goal for a bottom feeder. It's a transition year and looking at guys like Whitney or Jagr would have been asinine.

It's funny though because I knew this would happen. This fanbase has no patience and thinks that one top-3 draft year will repair the damage that Bobsled and Goatse caused over the past 5 years. Trust me kids, this is for the best.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
There is no chance that Doan signs here. Molson and Bergevin simply won't run after a PR disaster.
The media in this city are a disaster in themselves. Molson and Bergevin will do what's best for the team. Doan is Price's cousin. Is it a media nightmare that Price is related to him? This is a new start. The franchise is making management and players available to the media. They're doing their part. If the media wants to stir up controversy, a giant FU is in order.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Bergevin wants character players, fits Doan to a T
I don't believe for a second that Doan uttered any slurs of any kind
Dude doesn't even swear, he says "Fudge" instead all the time.

The PR disaster would probably consist of the same group demanding the team re-signs Kovalev and talking heads on TV and news print...OK, it would be a lot of PR attacks but there shouldn't be.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:39 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
PR troubles can be dealt with. You can work on making the pill easier to swallow, talk with Coderre, etc...

If they can land him, I say they do it. He'd make a real difference.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:39 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
The media in this city are a disaster in themselves. Molson and Bergevin will do what's best for the team. Doan is Price's cousin. Is it a media nightmare that Price is related to him? This is a new start. The franchise is making management and players available to the media. They're doing their part. If the media wants to stir up controversy, a giant FU is in order.
I disagree. If that were the case, Gomez would no longer be part of this team, but they won't take the financial hit.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:42 AM
gillyguzzler

Let's just say that Therrien believes that he can get AK going consistently and they sign him to a reasonable contract.

Our first line is obvious

DD-Max-Cole (75 goals)

If Therrien is smart, our third line is obvious based on how well they played together last year.

Moen-Eller-AK (50 goals)

Then, we have lots of options for our 2nd and 4th lines.

Bourque-Plek-Gionta (60 goals)
Armstrong-Prust-White (20 goals)

Nokeleinen, Blunden and Geoffrion become our spares.

I like all four lines. It's a veteran lineup with some grit. The bottom 3 lines have shutdown potential.

All this is assuming that Leblanc plays a full year in Hamilton and Gally plays in Sarnia. Gally could however force his way into Bourque's spot on the 2nd line.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:42 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkersMark View Post
Great post. I think Bergevin will make his presence known at the deadline and draft of next season. There's no point in signing Jagr when all it will do is take away from our draft position. We're not a playoff team so why plug the holes with mercenary one year contracts? Oh yeah, because our fans feel entitled to immediate results and want to scarf down popcorn while watching a 40 year old legend score the odd goal for a bottom feeder. It's a transition year and looking at guys like Whitney or Jagr would have been asinine.

It's funny though because I knew this would happen. This fanbase has no patience and thinks that one top-3 draft year will repair the damage that Bobsled and Goatse caused over the past 5 years. Trust me kids, this is for the best.
We're not a playoffs team? Please name me the teams that are sure to finish ahead next season in the EC?

Old
07-04-2012, 10:43 AM
MarkersMark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Bergevin wants character players, fits Doan to a T
I don't believe for a second that Doan uttered any slurs of any kind
Dude doesn't even swear, he says "Fudge" instead all the time.

The PR disaster would probably consist of the same group demanding the team re-signs Kovalev and talking heads on TV and news print...OK, it would be a lot of PR attacks but there shouldn't be.
Lol I hope your kidding. Doan is one of the scummiest ****s in the league. He has a habit of dirty hits and then hiding behind his fishbowl visor unless it's some kid challenging him. And in terms of whiners and poor sportsmanship, based on the playoffs he makes Subban look like a saint.

We don't need him anyways.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:43 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
We're not a playoffs team? Please name me the teams that are sure to finish ahead next season in the EC?
same D corp, same G, and so far, we'll still have to put 3rd and 4th liners alongside Plekanec on the second line...

Old
07-04-2012, 10:47 AM
SnapVirus

Shea Weber

If he hits UFA market next year. Would you be willing to give him a 14 years contract around 125M$ ?

Old
07-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Mr Rogers

Quote:
I don't know, i could see Gauthier thinking that way but I don't get that impression from MB.

He wasn't scared of the Darche media backlash, didn't succumb to the Parenteau worshiping by the local papers and he also didn't draft Qc players just for the sake of it etc...He's not the kind of GM who lets media or the popular opinion influence his decisions.

So if there's no chance of him signing here, its more on Doan not willing to come than MB not having the cohones

Old
07-04-2012, 10:48 AM
MarkersMark*

Quote:
Rangers, Pittsburgh, Philly, Boston, Washington. Second tier teams are Ottawa, Florida, New Jersey (pending Parise). Teams ahead of us that won't necessarily make the playoffs include Buffalo, Tbay, Winnipeg, and Carolina. Hate to be the bearer of bad new but our direct competition is between the Leafs and Islanders. And that's for bottom in the conference.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Boston
Ottawa
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Washington
Rangers
Carolina

For sure.

Probably:
Buffalo
Florida
Tampa
Winnipeg

All on paper better than us. Leafs and Devils without Parise are at least as good.

Old
gusfring

Quote:
Honestly, you think we've made enough changes to go from 15th to 8th or higher? Just making sure I understand.

Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
same D corp, same G, and so far, we'll still have to put 3rd and 4th liners alongside Plekanec on the second line...
pretty much. The only difference is if Markov can stay healthy

But Carolina, Tampa, Jets, Panthers and Sens are all more or less fighting with us. Could go either way

Old
07-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I keep hearing this crap. Are you guys sheep or do you have abrain of your own?

Is it impossible for Makrov to actually be healthy and play like a top 4 d-man? He will be 22 months removed from surgery by opening night. Is that not a big addition?

It's likely that Gionta Moen and White play a lot more, those guys missed like 140 games combined.

Bourque and Kaberle arrived late and played some of their worst hockey last year, it's not a big stretch for them to bounce back. Plus Diaz and Emelin are no longer rookies, should be more consistant and give a bigger contribution.

Some gritty/character bottom 6 guys will surely help, including holding leads.

There is still lots of cap room to add other players.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:51 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
If he hits UFA market next year. Would you be willing to give him a 14 years contract around 125M$ ?
He won't... and no, just no

Old
07-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Let's just say that Therrien believes that he can get AK going consistently and they sign him to a reasonable contract.

Our first line is obvious

DD-Max-Cole (75 goals)

If Therrien is smart, our third line is obvious based on how well they played together last year.

Moen-Eller-AK (50 goals)

Then, we have lots of options for our 2nd and 4th lines.

Bourque-Plek-Gionta (60 goals)
Armstrong-Prust-White (20 goals)

Nokeleinen, Blunden and Geoffrion become our spares.

I like all four lines. It's a veteran lineup with some grit. The bottom 3 lines have shutdown potential.

All this is assuming that Leblanc plays a full year in Hamilton and Gally plays in Sarnia. Gally could however force his way into Bourque's spot on the 2nd line.
Therrien was not on the haters team on l'antichambre so who know

I will take AK before Mueller

Old
07-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I keep hearing this crap. Are you guys sheep or do you have abrain of your own?

Is it impossible for Makrov to actually be healthy and play like a top 4 d-man? He will be 22 months removed from surgery by opening night. Is that not a big addition?

It's likely that Gionta Moen and White play a lot more, those guys missed like 140 games combined.

Bourque and Kaberle arrived late and played some of their worst hockey last year, it's not a big stretch for them to bounce back. Plus Diaz and Emelin are no longer rookies, should be more consistant and give a bigger contribution.

Some gritty/character bottom 6 guys will surely help, including holding leads.

There is still lots of cap room to add other players.
It's a lot of what ifs: Markov returning to form and not becoming Kaberle 2, the old, physical wingers Cole and Gionta staying healthy, Desharnais taking a step up as teams focus on him more, Bourque not being a complete waste of space, and so on.

We should be better than last year because last year was a product of some luck and mismanagement amplifying the teams flaws. But most teams in the east got better.

One move, even bringing AK back would make me feel much better, so hopefully I'm wrong.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
It's a lot of what ifs: Markov returning to form and not becoming Kaberle 2, the old, physical wingers Cole and Gionta staying healthy, Desharnais taking a step up as teams focus on him more, Bourque not being a complete waste of space, and so on.

We should be better than last year because last year was a product of some luck and mismanagement amplifying the teams flaws. But most teams in the east got better.
I think a lot of playoff teams may be non playoff teams this year...Florida, Ottawa maybe New Jersey.

I don't see a lot of East teams as better, which ones have made major additions without major substractions. Buffalo and Boston are a fair bit worse on paper(lost Thomas Corvo Roy).

Closed Thread