HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The D-situation

Old
07-03-2012, 05:48 PM
tsujimoto74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey18 View Post
brennan gets claimed on waivers for sure. He has some skills that are needed in the league, he just needs that same chance that weber/grags and some others have gotten. Can't belive people that actually watched the sabres last year think that weber and regehr should be in the mix. Just amazing. Give mcnabb and brennan a chance and get rid of the slugs that they are keeping. Besides that, regehr makes 4 million, how in the world is he worth that?

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
With the addition of Pardy, there seems to be quite a jam at D. As of now, there's Myers, Ehrhoff, Regehr, Sekera, Leopold, Weber, Sulzer and Pardy. Add McNabb and Brennan knocking on the door to the big club. Did I forget anyone?
I suppose they could move a defense man at this point, and as for right now, I think they gotta look at their defense EX-ACT-LY like this:

Sekera/Myers

I think they need to press for these two guys to be the teams top pairing. To be played during the most critical moments, to receive the most EST, and a high amount of special teams time. Myers should be on the #1 PP and Sekera should be on the #1 PK and some #2 PP time. They are out there to shut down and score. Or simply dominate if at all possible.

Sulzer/Ehrhoff

Until proven otherwise, Sulzer has proven that he can play top 4 minutes and not only avoid hurting the team, but add a resourceful amount of offensive support. He and Ehrhoff seem to be on the same page and speak the same language, which of course is probably German. You never know though, they could also speak Dutch, and nobody likes the Dutch except for the Dutch. Ehrhoff gets #1 PP work and Sulzer gets #2 PK duties.

Leopold/Regher

From my personal obsevation, Leopold is better defensivly from the left side, and he seems more confident with the puck from the left side. Almost as if he can read the ice quicker and more decissively. Regher is not a top 4 guy, but a tremendous bottom pair guy. Regher #1PK, Leopold #2 PP.

McNabb is not ready for the NHL, he needs another year of the AHL. Weber needs to earn his spot on the team all over again. Pardy is the 7th defense man. Brennon is not NHL ready.

I think the Sabres have a fair amount of depth, but a lot of very scary questions that need answered.

Can Myers and Sekera BOTH be at their very best as a tandem? I don't know, but I can't think of any good reason why they could not work it out. Part of being a Champion is learning to adapt with your teammates to kind of evolve as a group, setting aside differences and finding a mutually benificial compromise of actions.

Sulzer. History suggests that he's going to be the Achille's heel of the top 4, which means that he wont be playing at a tremendous level all season. He's not a guy that is used to that much icetime, and you have to figure that coaches will disect his game and find weaknesses to exploit. And Regher or Leopold might get bumped back into the top 4 mix.

Is Ruff going to use Myers and Ehrhoff on the top power play all season? The coach royally pissed me off by playing Gragnani over Myers on the power play last year. Will he deny him that icetime with somebody "experimental" this season as well? Those 2 are your power play pointmen. It's the most uncomplicated thing ever, which is why I fear that wont happen very often.

Leopold and Regher might be getting a little long in the tooth. Great guys to have on the team but they are going to be on the DL a bit, but will they be ready for the playoffs...if there are in fact those types of games.

Last edited by Chainshot: 07-03-2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: HTML
Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:08 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Sekera/Myers

I think they need to press for these two guys to be the teams top pairing. To be played during the most critical moments, to receive the most EST, and a high amount of special teams time...

They are out there to shut down and score. Or simply dominate if at all possible.
This is how I feel about an Ehrhoff-Myers pair. Sekera had a great season last year, but going forward he's probably the 3rd best Dman on this team.

Quote:
Leopold/Regher

From my personal obsevation, Leopold is better defensivly from the left side, and he seems more confident with the puck from the left side. Almost as if he can read the ice quicker and more decissively. Regher is not a top 4 guy, but a tremendous bottom pair guy.
I don't think Regher has regressed that much. Regehr-Sekera was a fine pair last season and I think that should continue next season.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I suppose they could move a defense man at this point, and as for right now, I think they gotta look at their defense EX-ACT-LY like this:

Sekera/Myers

I think they need to press for these two guys to be the teams top pairing. To be played during the most critical moments, to receive the most EST, and a high amount of special teams time. Myers should be on the #1 PP and Sekera should be on the #1 PK and some #2 PP time. They are out there to shut down and score. Or simply dominate if at all possible.

Sulzer/Ehrhoff

Until proven otherwise, Sulzer has proven that he can play top 4 minutes and not only avoid hurting the team, but add a resourceful amount of offensive support. He and Ehrhoff seem to be on the same page and speak the same language, which of course is probably German. You never know though, they could also speak Dutch, and nobody likes the Dutch except for the Dutch. Ehrhoff gets #1 PP work and Sulzer gets #2 PK duties.

Leopold/Regher

From my personal obsevation, Leopold is better defensivly from the left side, and he seems more confident with the puck from the left side. Almost as if he can read the ice quicker and more decissively. Regher is not a top 4 guy, but a tremendous bottom pair guy. Regher #1PK, Leopold #2 PP.

McNabb is not ready for the NHL, he needs another year of the AHL. Weber needs to earn his spot on the team all over again. Pardy is the 7th defense man. Brennon is not NHL ready.

I think the Sabres have a fair amount of depth, but a lot of very scary questions that need answered.

Can Myers and Sekera BOTH be at their very best as a tandem? I don't know, but I can't think of any good reason why they could not work it out. Part of being a Champion is learning to adapt with your teammates to kind of evolve as a group, setting aside differences and finding a mutually benificial compromise of actions.

Sulzer. History suggests that he's going to be the Achille's heel of the top 4, which means that he wont be playing at a tremendous level all season. He's not a guy that is used to that much icetime, and you have to figure that coaches will disect his game and find weaknesses to exploit. And Regher or Leopold might get bumped back into the top 4 mix.

Is Ruff going to use Myers and Ehrhoff on the top power play all season? The coach royally pissed me off by playing Gragnani over Myers on the power play last year. Will he deny him that icetime with somebody "experimental" this season as well? Those 2 are your power play pointmen. It's the most uncomplicated thing ever, which is why I fear that wont happen very often.

Leopold and Regher might be getting a little long in the tooth. Great guys to have on the team but they are going to be on the DL a bit, but will they be ready for the playoffs...if there are in fact those types of games.
I like the defense how it is right now. I like having a third pairing that's a little older, like Regehr and Leopold. They're wise, make less mistakes, and can handle less minutes.

-Sekera / Myers as the top pair. Two-way pair that can play shutdown and offense.
-Ehrhoff / Sulzer as the offensive pair.
-Regehr / Leopold as an offense/defense pairing.

Ehrhoff, Myers, and Sekera should get PP time, maybe Sulzer or Leopold depending on if Ruff continues to use Pominville on the point.

I could live with moving Leopold in a deal for a 3C. In that case, Weber and Pardy battle for #6/7. I don't like Weber in the #6 role - he's more of a #7.

I like McNabb starting in Rochester and playing big minutes, then coming to Buffalo based on the situation in Buffalo and McNabb's readiness level.

Last edited by Chainshot: 07-03-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: html
Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I like having a third pairing that's a little older, like Regehr and Leopold. They're wise, make less mistakes, and can handle less minutes..

Agreed, but really the best part? We know that they can be counted on if any of the top 4 faulter or get injured. As a third pairing they are both very much involved, and yet available for special teams work. Regher is still a very stout penalty killer and Leopold can work the power play just fine. If a top 4 guy doesn't perfomr up to expactations or somebody gets hurt, I have every confidence in leopold and/or Regher to hold the fort for a given length of time.

Sekera was for all intents and purposes the Sabres best defense man last season. The dude appears to have 2 big assed tree trunks for legs. He can handle more icetime and I think he can complimet Myers game much like Tallinder did but even better. It would take some work, and some comprimise.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:16 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post

I like the defense how it is right now. I like having a third pairing that's a little older, like Regehr and Leopold. They're wise, make less mistakes, and can handle less minutes.

-Sekera / Myers as the top pair. Two-way pair that can play shutdown and offense.
-Ehrhoff / Sulzer as the offensive pair.
-Regehr / Leopold as an offense/defense pairing.

Ehrhoff, Myers, and Sekera should get PP time, maybe Sulzer or Leopold depending on if Ruff continues to use Pominville on the point.

I could live with moving Leopold in a deal for a 3C. In that case, Weber and Pardy battle for #6/7. I don't like Weber in the #6 role - he's more of a #7.

I like McNabb starting in Rochester and playing big minutes, then coming to Buffalo based on the situation in Buffalo and McNabb's readiness level.
Totally agree with those lines.

Last edited by Chainshot: 07-03-2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: html
McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I like it in theory but I absolutely would not start counting on Sulzer working in the top 4 over the course of a season

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:26 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I like it in theory but I absolutely would not start counting on Sulzer working in the top 4 over the course of a season
This is exactly how I feel.
Three NHL teams have deemed him to be nothing more than a depth defenseman, including defense factory Nashville.
He had a nice run with us but I'm not counting on him being anymore than a depth guy.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Three NHL teams have deemed him to be nothing more than a depth defenseman, including defense factory Nashville.
He had a nice run with us but I'm not counting on him being anymore than a depth guy.
OMG that's what I'VE SAID! Why doesn't anybody quote MY posts and give ME credit!!?!?

It's because of the Hodgson/Kassian trade, isn't it?

Anyways, like I said Sulzer is a HUGE question mark. He was going through an emotional high in his personal and professional life. With a baby on the way, a new team with some fellow comrades, and the opportunity to actually play the game that he loves as opposed to sitting in the press box. I wouldn't even be surprised if Ehrhoff made mention of Sulzer before the trade was made.

With all of that in mind, who is Sulzer when he's not riding an emotional wave and when he's facing tougher forwards for 80+ games? That's perhaps the biggest question on that blueline. We know he's not overly physical, or overly fast, but HE IS smart and resourceful. We need to allow him to play his way out of a top 4 spot, because he certainly earned his way in.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

If we're going into the season with the centers we currently have I see no problem in letting McNabb play.

We're not likely going to go far into the playoffs with Hodgson and Ennis as our top 2....

In the future, sure.... But not right away.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I agree. I think you start Sulzer out in the top four, subject to change.

If he hangs, so be it.

If not, there are options:
-Leopold is top four capable
-Regehr can be top four capable
-Bring up McNabb and see what he can do

I think that 2012-13 season ends with McNabb taking a bigger role, and Sulzer a smaller role.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Luceni

McNabb is going to make the team. He makes one of our defenseman expandable.

My pairings would be:

Sekera/Myers
Regehr/Erhoff
McNabb/Leopold
Sulzer

I think that would balance out the lineup the best.

I'm all for giving sekera top pairing duties after last years preformances. He and myers could be a great pairing for us the next years.

I also think that Regehr/Erhoff would work well. They just need to know each other better. Could be a good, minute eating pairing with offensive upside.

McNabb/Leopold is also a good 3rd pairing. While Leopold would possibly play top 4 minutes in every other team, we use him with mcnabb in limited minutes. McNabb needs to learn the NHL better. He won't get better in the AHL. He has the potential to become the though guy on the top paring. But firstly, he has to learn a bit more in buffalo alongside Leopold.

With Sulzer, we got a very good 7th dmen, who can play anWhere if there is an injury.

I don't think that Weber/Pardy will see a lot of ice with our current dman depth. If Pysyk is playing good in Rochester, I see both of them behind him in the depth chart. Besides I really want Pysyk to get a look with the big club this year.

That said, the Dmen I don't want to be traded:

Myers, McNabb, Sekera, Erhoff.

I'd try to shop Leopold or Regehr if there is going to be a move for a big center.

Depends who the center is, I'd probably think about trading one of the dmen I don't wanna trade.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:48 PM
dma0034

I like this myself:

Sekera - Myers
Ehrhoff - Sulzer
McNabb - Regher

Weber

Leopold should be traded. There is no reason to keep him.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:03 AM
CupWanted
#19 The Future

Okay this Pardy thing just makes no sense to me. I wish one of Buffalo's adept journalists had asked if we acquired Pardy ala Kotalik. Simply a cap dump. I want to know if he was forced on us or if Regier actually requested him. It just doesn't mae sense to add this fringe guy unless we're expecting to move 2 dmen.

CupWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupWanted View Post
Okay this Pardy thing just makes no sense to me. I wish one of Buffalo's adept journalists had asked if we acquired Pardy ala Kotalik. Simply a cap dump. I want to know if he was forced on us or if Regier actually requested him. It just doesn't mae sense to add this fringe guy unless we're expecting to move 2 dmen.

Darcy mentioned in his presser that he expects Pardy to be in the NHL. Of course he also said Kotalik would have every chance to make the team last year. Pardy's a spart part that we don't need to worry about. H'll bw spinned off in another deal or sent down.

Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Pondslider

Regier wouldn't say that Pardy was a cap dump for Dallas. Even when they re-acquired Kotalik Regier said he'd have a chance to make the team. Everybody knew what was really going to happen though (except Kotalik).

Pondslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Sabresfansince1980

I would like to think Roy could be traded for Ott plus a more valuable player than Pardy, but Pardy at 2 mil actually seems to have negative value to me, like you say as a salary dump. This actually reinforces my belief that Roy's trade value was very low, and would've been better at the trade deadline (because I'm convinced with a healthy season he'd be at a 60 pt pace).

So now we have this logjam that I can only assume means one or two will be traded. But Pardy may very well end up a Kotalik/Morrisonn scenario, and Regier may only be able to trade some of these players (like pending FA Brennan) for picks after camp when other teams are shoring up their roster depth. For any of these d-men below Myers, Ehrhoff, and maybe Sekera, to be pieces of a significant trade, the other pieces will have to be Adam, Armia, Pysyk, and draft picks. I'm not sure Adam can be sold as the 2nd line C that some teams are looking for (Anh, Van), or even as a potential 2nd line C.

If Adam can't be shopped that way then I'm afraid we won't get anything exciting (Ryan) in return for our depth at defense. SJ needs wingers and has seven d-men under contract, so maybe Adam could be shopped as a LW with Armia/picks for Pavelski.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:38 AM
rkorchinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I'm not sure Adam can be sold as the 2nd line C that some teams are looking for (Anh, Van), or even as a potential 2nd line C.

If Adam can't be shopped that way then I'm afraid we won't get anything exciting (Ryan) in return for our depth at defense. SJ needs wingers and has seven d-men under contract, so maybe Adam could be shopped as a LW with Armia/picks for Pavelski.
Can Adam play wing?

rkorchinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Sabresfansince1980

He could. Not sure if he got much time there in Rochester, but his biggest weakness is the defensive game. That would be shadowed a bit by playing wing.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:13 AM
SoFFacet

Quote:
I wouldn't worry too much. Even if he doesn't play Roy for Ott was worth it from a Sabres pov. Best case he's Sulzer 2.0.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:20 AM
joshjull

2 or 3 of the dmen will end up as Amerks. Likely McNabb, Brennan and Pardy.

Regehr/Sekera
Leo/Myers
Sulzer/Ehrhoff
Weber

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
I don't think Regher has regressed that much. Regehr-Sekera was a fine pair last season and I think that should continue next season.
I hope that Ruff tries the Myers-Regehr pairing for more than just 8-10 games - they talked so much last summer about how Myers looked up to Regehr and the tutoring that could help Myers overall game.

Quote:
As others have posted, Regier wouldn't make disparaging remarks about a new acquisition or dispel any optimism he'd want that new player to have about competing for a job - the Pardy situation seems identical to the Kotalik one, with several Dallas media sources citing that the Sabres had to take him on to even out the cap hits between Roy and Ott.

Vogl already noted in his reports that Pardy may get buried in Rochester like the Sabres did with Morrisonn.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
As others have posted, Regier wouldn't make disparaging remarks about a new acquisition or dispel any optimism he'd want that new player to have about competing for a job - the Pardy situation seems identical to the Kotalik one, with several Dallas media sources citing that the Sabres had to take him on to even out the cap hits between Roy and Ott.

Vogl already noted in his reports that Pardy may get buried in Rochester like the Sabres did with Morrisonn.
It's not identical to the Kotalik situation. It wasn't possible to give Kotalik (and Morissonn) a chance to make the team because the Sabres were over the cap in preseason. The Sabres weren't over the cap when they acquired him. I think they intended to give Kotalik a chance to compete for a spot, but the cap situation dictated otherwise.

Quote:
" The difficulty with... being over the cap is that had either of these players played a game and been injured, and when I'm talking about injured, not available for the opening day roster, in order for us to get under the cap, we would've had to either waive or trade other players on our roster," said Regier.
http://wgr550.com/pages/12394383.php?

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
I like this myself:

Sekera - Myers
Ehrhoff - Sulzer
McNabb - Regher

Weber

Leopold should be traded. There is no reason to keep him.
There are definitely reasons. He's a very solid 4/5. He eats a lot of minutes. He's much better than Pardy, Weber, and Sulzer. And the biggest reason is that you'd be able to get more for him at the deadline than you would in the offseason. See Oduya, Jonny.

Quote:
It's part of Darcy's plan to get every ex-Calgary defenseman in history.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
It's not identical to the Kotalik situation. It wasn't possible to give Kotalik (and Morissonn) a chance to make the team because the Sabres were over the cap in preseason. The Sabres weren't over the cap when they acquired him. I think they intended to give Kotalik a chance to compete for a spot, but the cap situation dictated otherwise.
I only meant the two situations seem to be identical in the sense that, with the depth the Sabres had at forward last summer and now on defense, Kotalik and Pardy were very likely pieces that Regier didn't ask for or need but took them on in order to get the parts he really wanted in Regehr and Ott.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote